Is it really alright to eat topless in a restaurant?

Would they do it in their own country?

South East Asia is predominantly a bhudist country, it's disrespectful to the culture and religion.

And something that struct me was, how many thai men do you see wearing shorts ?

also how many thai men do you see wearing black trousers ?

No, I personally do not think it is acceptable, nor in the Malls where I see it, even walking the streets away from the Beach.

I am biased, I do not have a muscular frame nor artistic tats to show off.

But where I am it is common.

Indoor restaurants is particularly tacky, but that is what one gets as the Thais are tolerant people.

I suppose the solution is to go elsewhere, eventually things could change, they did with the smoking habit.

Topless in a restaurant - definitely a no no. But a Burger King..............???

Seriously though - I am with you on this one.Pretty disgusting. Vote with your wallet and boycott the place..

If eating what classes as food in a burger king??? In Thailand, where the best food on the planet is created, One must understand

the classes of people who find the"food?" acceptable are,,,, there is no polite or nice way to say it so I will leave it unsaid,

and go find some delightfully tasty & nutritious Thai Vegetarian restarant peopled by another "class" of "people".

Topless in a restaurant - definitely a no no. But a Burger King..............???

Seriously though - I am with you on this one.Pretty disgusting. Vote with your wallet and boycott the place..

If eating what classes as food in a burger king??? In Thailand, where the best food on the planet is created, One must understand

the classes of people who find the"food?" acceptable are,,,, there is no polite or nice way to say it so I will leave it unsaid,

and go find some delightfully tasty & nutritious Thai Vegetarian restarant peopled by another "class" of "people".

Yes Sir...just like Woodstock. All those classy vegetarians running around naked..stoned out of their mind.

Sounds good.

To be fair, like others said, this is BK and just a stone throw away from the beach, so it's not a big deal really. The weather has also been super hot lately, so there's no wonder the Russians used to Siberian weather is overheating a bit.

Ask any business owner on Samui if they would rather prefer shirtless tourists or no tourists.

The word "high standard" + BK doesn't really work together.

It's called hygiene and smelly hairy armpits are not compatible with food and this also includes singlets and if I was shown a seat in an aircraft with with a yobboe wearing a singlet sitting next to me. I would insist on another seat. Likewise do not expect to conduct official business here with no shirt or a singlet as you will be shown the door ! It says a lot for how you were brought up, maybe you never had parents ?

A dress code on aircraft.... now there's a whole new topic.

Don't get me started.

Just sayin..... Mal.

Burger King or not just lack of common sense...not much to do about it, but for me, if I would see this, I wouldn't enter. My free choice. We have to accept that a certain % of people ( local or tourist) have other opinions.

Yes, but this is tropical island of Samui and in a burger joint where the average clientele aren't really "high class", nor is the food, it's really not a big deal.

How many times have you seen "high class" tourists in Thailand???

Edited by Rooo
font & colour

Have seen many old and ugly Farangs at Tesco Lotus with young Thai women. But it's ok

So who are you to judge A).....old B).....ugly C).....young..... D..... Thai E).....women

A)...So few young people are mature or responsible. Fewer still aforementioned & financialy stable

Smart young Thai women prefer mature & responsible & financially stable to thier opposites,pretty package or not.

B)...Extreme uglyness is found more in the actions of self centred (often magazine pretty) irresponsible people,

than on the faces of those who have seen years of life.

C)...People that are able to look after themselves healthwise ∨ good gentics often look much younger than they are.

Read the Legal Code of Thailand sometime. Interesting and the law of the land. Tradition. If not "your Tradition"

and you don't like it. Did you get here on an airplane??? Bus??? Whatever they both come & go. 19 is legal.

Under some conditions less...

D)...Just curious. Not Cambodian, Lao, Burmeese, Phillipino?? And how do you know that???

E)... Women? Did you check for an adams apple? Scar where an adams apple may have once been?

thick wrists? Big feet? Deep voice? Just curious

Since this is a thread about the correctness of eating topless in a restaurant,

are you further off base for your off topic Judgemental post than I am for Responding

In an equally Judgemental way

Signed An Ugly Old Folung Woman Who Takes my adopted Grand daughter shopping at Tesco Lotus

If the topless offender had been a young nubile lass there would be a lot less righteous indignation.

Oh, yes there would.

Imagine you trying to put a Whopper in your mouth while distracted by a pair of mammary glands.

Never seen a milkshake at a fast food joint before?

I have lived in Thailand for about eight years now. Before I came here, I sat at my PC and google'd "Do's and donts in Thai Culture. One of the donts was about walking around topless. It goes against Thai Culture. Even though it is more acceptable on or near Beach Road, it is not expected in restaurants or Supermakets.

I know that Thai people are usually Non Confrontational and rarely confront people, I think this is why visitors get away with being topless around the place.

Just recently I was in a Supermarket when a rather large Russian Guy and his rather large partner walked in. He was wearing dick togs and nothing else except for the large bottle of beer he was holding. The blimp wore a bikini and nothing else. I pointed the spectacle out to security who didn't seem to want to confront this pair.

I am only a little seventy year old, but I decided to confront this behemoth anyway and point out their error. Turned out I only needed to put my hand up and say 'NO" lucky for me they got the message.

Still amazes me though that people come to Thailand and think they can do whatever they like, even if it is not acceptable in their own country.

I noticed a large sign somewhere that said " If it is illegal in your country, Its illegal here". I reckon that sign should be written on every flight ticket that brings people here.

Just a foot note. I wish foreign countries would stop pushing this Military Coupe Rubbish. So many people rely on Tourism, the mis-information is making it very difficult fo locals.

• Like 2

I have lived in Thailand for about eight years now. Before I came here, I sat at my PC and google'd "Do's and donts in Thai Culture. One of the donts was about walking around topless. It goes against Thai Culture. Even though it is more acceptable on or near Beach Road, it is not expected in restaurants or Supermakets.

I know that Thai people are usually Non Confrontational and rarely confront people, I think this is why visitors get away with being topless around the place.

Just recently I was in a Supermarket when a rather large Russian Guy and his rather large partner walked in. He was wearing dick togs and nothing else except for the large bottle of beer he was holding. The blimp wore a bikini and nothing else. I pointed the spectacle out to security who didn't seem to want to confront this pair.

I am only a little seventy year old, but I decided to confront this behemoth anyway and point out their error. Turned out I only needed to put my hand up and say 'NO" lucky for me they got the message.

Still amazes me though that people come to Thailand and think they can do whatever they like, even if it is not acceptable in their own country.

I noticed a large sign somewhere that said " If it is illegal in your country, Its illegal here". I reckon that sign should be written on every flight ticket that brings people here.

Just a foot note. I wish foreign countries would stop pushing this Military Coupe Rubbish. So many people rely on Tourism, the mis-information is making it very difficult fo locals.

Yes it's hard to believe how the coup rumour started! Regarding the sign: 'if it is illegal in your country it is probably illegal here'. It is illegal for people to drink alcohol in many muslim countries and illegal to eat pork and illegal for men and women to mix freely. You assume that tourists come from free countries but they do not. That's what they come to Thailand for.

I suddenly had a craving for some Double Whopper. No fries though, I'm trying to lower my carb intake. Fries are better at McDonald's anyway.

post-17753-0-50698000-1418727515_thumb.j

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Again, I have to repeat myself. This is a burger joint a stone throw away from the beach, on a tropical island tourist destination.

I would rather say: these are the tourists thailand appeals to. The top ones know where their money is better spent

Oh, the top ones are coming to Samui alright, but they for sure aren't eating at BK.

How many times have you seen "high class" tourists in Thailand???

First of all, it appears that you are totally unaware of things if you think that "high class" (whatever that is) tourists doesn't visit Thailand and especially Samui.

Secondly, I wonder if any person will be able to tell who is "high class" or "low class" by just looking at some people on the beach?

But one thing is almost certain is that any "high class" tourist wouldn't probably eat at BK, and if they did, they would have worn a shirt.

But who the hell knows if that particular shirtless most probably Russian farang OP saw may not have been some kind of rich oligarch? Can anyone tell by just looking?

Edited by Rooo
flame removed

I posted a picture a while back from the sign outside Makro , a sign with no Bikini & no Speedos allowed.

post-8980-0-93707800-1374021574.jpg

So they have to take off their bikini before they can enter Makro?

Bottomless.

What I wrote about the israelis not wanting bacon in their order really happened. Otherwise why would I have written it????

What the??

The reason why I actually took notice was exactly because I suddenly heard somebody say loudly "NO BACON!", then they sat down and spoke hebrew, that's how I knew they were jews. How can this be considered flame?????

Edited by Mole

A carnivorous tellytubby popped in to the new BK last weekend to see what all the fuss was about. I'll keep the review short but here goes:

- The size of their burgers differ significantly between menu & reality. The pictures in the menu & on the wall showed burgers the size of birthday cakes whereas in reality none were more than 100mm / 4" diameter.

- Prices seemed a little high but I suspect their overheads left them little choice.

- I liked the coffee.

- Parking is very convienient.

- Overall we (family) found the meal tasty & the premises clean and presentable.

- Everyone was suitably dressed & shod.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

This is a tropical country of Thailand and people have traditionally going around shirtless! So, naturally I have been brought up in this environment and shirtless is nothing strange. Maybe you should open your freaking eyes and look around in what freaking country you live in right now??? See any snow?

This is also about freaking BK and not fine dining or in an aircraft, so your comparison is moot. Nobody is conducting any "official business" at a freaking BK joint.

And what the xxxxxx hell does my parent's has to do anything with this?

I had parents as much as you had one.

Just because it is freaking hot and Burger King does not serve freaking gourmet freaking food, that does not mean that other people should have to smell the sweat of some freaking moron with no freaking respect for other people!

The only toplessness that I would encourage in a restaurant, is on the part of the female patrons. No seriously, there is absolutely no excuse for this kind of crass behavior. The reality being that Samui is a pretty low class island. It attracts a lot of low class tourists. Classy Thais stay away from Samui. Even though it is becoming more expensive, and there are more five star resorts, it still lack class, sophistication, and is maybe the least progressive tourist destination in Asia. Samui is all about the money, and there is zero, in terms of a sense of community, or pride on the part of most business owners.

My question is then, putting on a freaking t-shirt, will it then magically make the sweat smell go away?

Apart from the aesthetics that you don't see his bare chest, putting on a shirt will do NADA to the smell of sweat. In fact, it may just make the smell even worse! So please stop using this retarded argument already.

If you get offended by the smell of sweat, then you have surely come to the wrong part of the world!

Edited by Mole