I want to rent a scooter and travel in thailand. Any major issues?

First of all if your going to drive without a license keep 1 or 2 hundred baht inside your passport for when the cops pull you over and ask for ID.... just hand it over with a friendly smile and a wink.. This way you just hand over your passport without actually initiating a bribe in any way what so ever. ( its not illegal keeping money inside your passport ) The cop can remove the bribe money himself.... and you will be on your way.

Secondly stay away from the mini busses and cargo trucks on the roads as they will drive straight over you without thinking anything about it..... most reckless drivers I ever seen in my live..

Then lastly, should you cause a accident and there is someone hurt ( specially a Thai ) make your way to the airport and get out of the country... RUN RUN RUN and don't come back..

Do not ride the main road between Pattaya and Bangkok. The hard shoulder is very dangerous, and the first lane is full of heavy trucks, I rode it, and I only saw one other motorcyclist during the whole journey, I believe there is a coast road through Chonburi, that would be a lot safer.

Agreed - not necessarily because it is exceptionally dangerous, just because its not a great route - deadly dull!

I've done it a couple of times in a car and the only way I would want to to travel it on two wheels would be on a big bike, and very quickly to get it over with as soon as possible.

As all the others have pointed out this is a death wish.

If you want to ride a moped or motorbike then rent local.

Edited by Jay Sata

Then lastly, should you cause a accident and there is someone hurt ( specially a Thai ) make your way to the airport and get out of the country... RUN RUN RUN and don't come back..

Is this serious, I don't think this is a bad idea. When riding in the Philippines I've learned a few things. Some girl hit me when I was completely stopped leaving a shopping center. It was slow and it looked like she cracked my rear light.

Well, I wasn't sure what to do and being from the USA I figured you had to wait for police or something. Anyway I should have gotten out of there but I wasn't sure if the rental company would say anything about the damage.

While waiting for the police I decided to look at the pictures (lucky I had the rear of the bike in one of them) on my cell phone and noticed that the damaged light was already there. So I got out of there, I remember saying to one of the Philippines guys if it is a bad idea I wait for police and he said "yeah". Even though the girl had no license and she hit me form the rear when stopped.

So I understand about documenting the damage. You see in Philippines they don't scam you like in Thailand, the police basically extort you.

I've also got extorted in Philippines because of a lack of understanding. I had no license plate on my scooter and that was allowed if waiting for it, LOL. I got stopped, but not by police some other road guy and he had me talk with his buddy waiting on the side. He was asking for a lot at first but I didn't want to pay. After a while I just paid like $3 dollars and left. Later I learned for sure I didn't need the plate as it was marked in registration that I was waiting for it or something.

If I do get into an accident am I best running? Under what conditions should I run and leave the country?

As I sit in my wheelchair, I advise you rent a car. Despite skill, experience, and confidence, my trip to Thailand has been very difficult after a minor accident on a scooter. Broken tibia and 6 months of a wheelchair and it may never be as good as before. The roads and drivers here are treacherous. The incident has cost over half a million baht.

As I sit in my wheelchair, I advise you rent a car. Despite skill, experience, and confidence, my trip to Thailand has been very difficult after a minor accident on a scooter. Broken tibia and 6 months of a wheelchair and it may never be as good as before. The roads and drivers here are treacherous. The incident has cost over half a million baht.

How did you get into an accident?

I am really curious how the drivers are here. In the Philippines it was the craziest driving experience I've seen. In the city I was in there was like one traffic light. But I'll say that with all the motorbikes whizzing around everybody seemed to know the flow and it seemed very safe. I actually preferred the lack of traffic lights as traffic always moved well without waiting for red lights.

I find it is worse driving in America when people don't look for motorbikes and you have all the women driving big SUV's who can give a shit also.

The other thing is once you get out of the busy city areas in the Philippines it was very little traffic.

One reason I think I can do this is that I drive very defensively, I always stop at every intersection and am constantly looking behind me and also double look when changing lanes and making turns. I don't think anyone is as cautious as I am, as it takes energy to do that.

Nothing is 100% safe but you can really lower your risks by driving very defensively.

If I do get into an accident am I best running? Under what conditions should I run and leave the country?

A true story for you...

A Westerner driving a car hit and seriously injured one of my Thai familiy members and did a runner. Info was given to the Thai police by someone who witnessed the accident and he was arrested at a road block. My family member died 48 hours later, in the meantime the Western guy was held in police cells as he didn't have bail insurance. Eventually, via the police, he negotiated a fine payment and compensation for the family - cost him a fair amount of cash. Observing the grief of family members & their hatred of the criminal will stay in my mind forever.

The moral of the story is don't do a runner in case of injury to a third party (it's a really low act), but invest in motorbike 1st class insurance - so long as you have the correct license doco / visa for Thailand - that includes bail bond, the insurance company will do all the negotiations on your behalf. As a first step you may like to contact...

http://insureinthailand.com/motor_verzekering.aspx

Edited by simple1

Sorry to hear of your misfortune d2 but can we convince others?

Not worth the risk!

I was driving defensively and being very careful, it didn't matter. The road condition and traffic were to blame for the accident. The reality is I was experienced and it didn't matter. My early retirement (51) is now being spent in a wheelchair with doctor appointments and bills. Spend the extra money on a car and enjoy your tour without putting your life and future in peril. I was confidant and experienced in driving and didn't latke my Thai friends advice seriously. They all said it was a bad idea, but I knew better. They were right and I am thankful they all have been so kind and helpful since the accident .

I was driving defensively and being very careful, it didn't matter. The road condition and traffic were to blame for the accident. The reality is I was experienced and it didn't matter. My early retirement (51) is now being spent in a wheelchair with doctor appointments and bills. Spend the extra money on a car and enjoy your tour without putting your life and future in peril. I was confidant and experienced in driving and didn't latke my Thai friends advice seriously. They all said it was a bad idea, but I knew better. They were right and I am thankful they all have been so kind and helpful since the accident .

First of all if your going to drive without a license keep 1 or 2 hundred baht inside your passport for when the cops pull you over and ask for ID.... just hand it over with a friendly smile and a wink.. This way you just hand over your passport without actually initiating a bribe in any way what so ever. ( its not illegal keeping money inside your passport ) The cop can remove the bribe money himself.... and you will be on your way.

Secondly stay away from the mini busses and cargo trucks on the roads as they will drive straight over you without thinking anything about it..... most reckless drivers I ever seen in my live..

Yeah, just leave them to bleed out on the street. Selfish f'n loser.

The reason for a scooter I guess is cost. It is by far the cheapest to rent and also by far gets the best gas mileage. The smaller 100cc scooters get like 100 MPG or 2.8 liters per 100 Kilometers . I drove 100cc scooters pretty far and pushed them probably to max speed in Philippines. You are correct, it probably isn't the most comfortable way to travel but it does work. Those little 100cc scooters can go quite fast also.

I've got good endurance so for some reason I just keep going and love the feel of a 100cc bike going top speed. I am going to do lots of stops also, so will probably only be on the road maybe 5 hours tops a day.

I really am just planning this as I go along at this point. I plan on staying a couple of months so I don't have to rush all of this.

Don't underestimate the cost of getting around using the bus and such if this is a concern. Originally it sounded more like freedom of travel and making your own pit stops and all. It gets really tiring and the roads can be unforgiving to even the more experienced rider.

Just a thought.

you will have a great time, i go all over on a scooter.

i rent a honda click 125 for 3000 baht a month, better ask about mileage.

don't leave your passport with the rental company. 1000 baht cash deposit.

take photos of the scooter at the beginning of the rental.

check tire tread, very common to have no tread. try to rent a scooter with less than 10,000km.

check fluids. maybe the first time they have ever done it.

list of stuff you might need based on my real experience here:

International drivers license or Thai license is a must. you will be stopped out on the main highways many times at checkpoints. very common.

have a few 100 baht bills separate from the rest of your cash for the police.

high visibly color tee shirt or jacket.

get a pair of motorcycle gloves.

consider a real motorcycle helmet or scooter helmet with face shield.

long jeans with knee pads and to keep the sun off your legs.

heavy shoes, not flip flops.

mask/filter for your noise. heavy diesel fumes/dust in Thailand.

polarized sunglasses.

backpack with spine guard and reinforcement.

Shemagh cloth to keep the sun off your neck

light weight long sleeve cotton shirt to keep the sun off your arms

gps smart phone with camera and flashlight app.

additional external cellphone battery and charger cable.

deet and sunscreen.

backup wallet, spare scooter key, two different atm cards, emergency numbers, passport (not a copy)

health insurance or trip insurance that covers scooter accidents.

tourist police: 1155

ambulance: 1669

police emergency: 191

Walther PPK with silencer.

As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Jim. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

This is all great advice. I have taken several long trips on the 125cc motorbike, my bigger Kawasaki Boss 175cc and even bigger 750 Yammy. Your USA license is not good in Thailand. You need a IDL or a Thai license. Of course every time you are stopped you could plead ignorance and pay the fine. will get expensive after a while.

A true story for you...

A Westerner driving a car hit and seriously injured one of my Thai familiy members and did a runner. Info was given to the Thai police by someone who witnessed the accident and he was arrested at a road block. My family member died 48 hours later, in the meantime the Western guy was held in police cells as he didn't have bail insurance. Eventually, via the police, he negotiated a fine payment and compensation for the family - cost him a fair amount of cash. Observing the grief of family members & their hatred of the criminal will stay in my mind forever.

The moral of the story is don't do a runner in case of injury to a third party (it's a really low act), but invest in motorbike 1st class insurance - so long as you have the correct license doco / visa for Thailand - that includes bail bond, the insurance company will do all the negotiations on your behalf. As a first step you may like to contact...

http://insureinthailand.com/motor_verzekering.aspx

Indeed. Don't do a runner. But get the best insurance you can buy which includes bail insurance. You will go to jail if major injury or death. Let the insurance company sort it out. But to really protect your butt get a camera on your helmet or mounted on the bike. I have a dash cam in my car and it has already saved me a lot of money. Meanwhile you might google traffic accident statistics by country to see what you are getting into. Thailand is one of the absolute worst. That said you will probably have a great time.

I've heard mixed reviews about needing an International drivers permit. Strictly by law you don't need one if you are from a G8 country with English License and picture.

Now even though strictly by law you don't need one and people printed out the law and got the ticket dismissed doesn't mean the police are going to ticket me.

I think the problem here is many people with issues have foreign licenses from places like Germany, Norway, Russia etc. The licenses are not in English and some are even paper with no picture. They also get licenses from people from other countries in ASIA. There is no way they are going to be able to read those licenses and not what they are.

A USA license that is clearly in English that says motorcycle on it seems to be fine from what some people have posted. Many people even posted not having an issue at all with their USA license.

So I'm going to think a lot of problems arise from non English licenses. This is because I hear very mixed reviews about needing an IDP, some people say no problem other people say problems. It also seems many don't even have legitimate motorcycle licenses and lumping not having an IDP as not having a license. My license clearly says motorcycle on it.

I guess I'll have to experiment because I have no choice and a few fines along the way will have to be budgeted at this point. Why ruin my trip for $10-50 bucks in fines.

But what can I do now, I would have gotten my IDP if I was in USA.

Edited by Cheap Backpacker

I want to add that the people here advising about how dangerous it is have definitely got me scared but at the same time I really want to experience just how dangerous it is.

I also want to compare it to the Philippines.

What I have in mind is roads so bad with holes that my tires will go flat often. Drivers so bad that they are going to turn right in front of me or pull out in front of me. Tour buses that don't see me or don't care and want to run over me. Police that are going to pull me into the police station and rob me blind and leave me in a cell, and this will happen about ever 100 miles at road blocks.

Looking at it I'm going to stay about 200 km a day. My driving was from Angeles city to Subic in Philippines and routing shows it about 80 KM. But it felt a lot longer than 80 KM even though I felt like I was driving very fast.

The license it the least of your worries. If you are not here lone and have a US license you are driving legally.

As far as insurance, if they sell you insurance using your US license, the insurance will cover you, they have to.

What you need to be concerned about is being killed or crippled. Whose fault it is, how great a driver you are, how young your are, what kind of license you have, how good your insurance is, how smart you are, how much your mother loves you, none of that matters when you're bleeding out on the street, so be careful.

• Like 2

Your license is of no value in Thailand. You MUST have an Int'l license for many reasons. The rental place will take your money and not worry about license. If you are going this route anyway, carry many Baht 100s to pay off cops. Start with B300 and they may let you go. Always carry your passport.

Nonsense.

you will have a great time, i go all over on a scooter.

i rent a honda click 125 for 3000 baht a month, better ask about mileage.

don't leave your passport with the rental company. 1000 baht cash deposit.

take photos of the scooter at the beginning of the rental.

check tire tread, very common to have no tread. try to rent a scooter with less than 10,000km.

check fluids. maybe the first time they have ever done it.

list of stuff you might need based on my real experience here:

International drivers license or Thai license is a must. you will be stopped out on the main highways many times at checkpoints. very common.

have a few 100 baht bills separate from the rest of your cash for the police.

high visibly color tee shirt or jacket.

get a pair of motorcycle gloves.

consider a real motorcycle helmet or scooter helmet with face shield.

long jeans with knee pads and to keep the sun off your legs.

heavy shoes, not flip flops.

mask/filter for your noise. heavy diesel fumes/dust in Thailand.

polarized sunglasses.

backpack with spine guard and reinforcement.

Shemagh cloth to keep the sun off your neck

light weight long sleeve cotton shirt to keep the sun off your arms

gps smart phone with camera and flashlight app.

additional external cellphone battery and charger cable.

deet and sunscreen.

backup wallet, spare scooter key, two different atm cards, emergency numbers, passport (not a copy)

health insurance or trip insurance that covers scooter accidents.

tourist police: 1155

ambulance: 1669

police emergency: 191

Walther PPK with silencer.

As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Jim. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

This is all great advice. I have taken several long trips on the 125cc motorbike, my bigger Kawasaki Boss 175cc and even bigger 750 Yammy. Your USA license is not good in Thailand. You need a IDL or a Thai license. Of course every time you are stopped you could plead ignorance and pay the fine. will get expensive after a while.

It really is beyond me why people keep repeati9ng nonsense information they have once read on the internet.

Home license is fine and fully legal.

I've heard mixed reviews about needing an International drivers permit. Strictly by law you don't need one if you are from a G8 country with English License and picture.

Now even though strictly by law you don't need one and people printed out the law and got the ticket dismissed doesn't mean the police are going to ticket me.

I think the problem here is many people with issues have foreign licenses from places like Germany, Norway, Russia etc. The licenses are not in English and some are even paper with no picture. They also get licenses from people from other countries in ASIA. There is no way they are going to be able to read those licenses and not what they are.

A USA license that is clearly in English that says motorcycle on it seems to be fine from what some people have posted. Many people even posted not having an issue at all with their USA license.

So I'm going to think a lot of problems arise from non English licenses. This is because I hear very mixed reviews about needing an IDP, some people say no problem other people say problems. It also seems many don't even have legitimate motorcycle licenses and lumping not having an IDP as not having a license. My license clearly says motorcycle on it.

I guess I'll have to experiment because I have no choice and a few fines along the way will have to be budgeted at this point. Why ruin my trip for $10-50 bucks in fines.

Nothing at all to do with being from a G8 country or not. Requirements: Photo, in English, and valid for the vehicle driven, all for a maximum of 90 days.

You will not be fined, and if they try to fine you, simply tell them you won't pay since it is not required.

If you're a selfish f'n loser

Correct Dave, Will rather be a looser than rot in a Thai Jail. Or wait, I forgot how understanding and lenient Thailand is about these things if your a farang in their country. Yeah Dave, we will just all sit down around the table and realize it was all one big accident as these things do happen and all move on like in the Western World. Now see Dave, in this case you will be the F'n looser..... wake up and smell the coffee mate.

I understand where in most accidents you are really of no help as there are plenty of other people around. However, could you discuss more why you think it is better to run? Are you guaranteed to rot in jail in any accident?

What about an accident where you only did property damage? lets face it you are not going to do a lot of damage on a scooter.

I would like to hear more about when it is better to run then stick around.

I already mentioned I was in Philippines when somebody rear ended me and the shopping center security basically said you are better off just leaving than waiting for the police and that is what I did even though the women had no license and hit me while I was stopped.

We have to face the facts that the system is corrupt here and I agree it may be better to take off then stick around and possibly get placed in jail and then basically blackmailed into paying a lot of money.

Lets also look at the fact that if somebody hits us we are supposedly screwed because we are foreigners. So the way I see it if they screw us when it is not our fault why stick around when it is our faults? That is fair to me, if the police want to be corrupt then I'm not going to be fair myself. Think about it.

Nothing at all to do with being from a G8 country or not. Requirements: Photo, in English, and valid for the vehicle driven, all for a maximum of 90 days.

You will not be fined, and if they try to fine you, simply tell them you won't pay since it is not required.

If I want to argue with the police about this how will it all go down? Like if they write me a ticket, how do they make me pay it?

If I want to argue with the police about this how will it all go down? Like if they write me a ticket, how do they make me pay it?

Just take the ticket, tear it up, throw it in their face and tell them you are a US citizen, it will go swimmingly.

• Like 1

I want to add that the people here advising about how dangerous it is have definitely got me scared but at the same time I really want to experience just how dangerous it is.

I also want to compare it to the Philippines.

What I have in mind is roads so bad with holes that my tires will go flat often. Drivers so bad that they are going to turn right in front of me or pull out in front of me. Tour buses that don't see me or don't care and want to run over me. Police that are going to pull me into the police station and rob me blind and leave me in a cell, and this will happen about ever 100 miles at road blocks.

Looking at it I'm going to stay about 200 km a day. My driving was from Angeles city to Subic in Philippines and routing shows it about 80 KM. But it felt a lot longer than 80 KM even though I felt like I was driving very fast.

Cheap Backpacker, above you seem to very well describe the way some people experience driving in Thailand – however you forget “intoxicated drivers” and “status in traffic"; bikers have low status...

Lots of foreign folks do drive here – some also long distance on bikes – and many people get hurt in traffic, even they are experienced drivers, because it’s so difficult to “read” what the others in the traffic are up to, or suddenly do.

Also, being a foreigner, you are supposed to have an insurance – and be rich – so even you are without any fault in an accident, which can just be a minor with only material damage, you will be the one to pay for it. “Thai way of thinking” is – and this includes the Police in some cases – that someone has to pay the bill, and the one who can afford to pay, is going to pay...

Furthermore Thailand, only a tiny bit below number 1, hits a clear number 2 – and that not to be very proud of – when it comes to most fatal traffic accidents in the World compared to population, with 44 deaths per 100,000. Number 1, Namibia have 45 of 100,000 and number 3, Iran, has 38. Philippines cannot manage to climb up in Top-25. World average is 18 (statistics from University of Michigan, 2014).

http://asiancorrespondent.com/119892/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

Some local areas in Thailand are infamous for traffic accidents with a fatal rate (much) higher than the average country.

Just to think about, and consider using other mean of transportation for long distance – that will at least cut some time off at very busy and dangerous roads – and then rent your bike locally for sightseeing. I am not saying “don’t”, what I’m saying is “think, before you decide to drive, and when you do drive, be (very) careful out there...”

Wish you good luck. smile.png

KhunPur, you got me thinking that may be the way to go, just rent the bikes at the destinations and keep them local.

Just thinking that if I wind up driving 1000 KM away, I have to drive back 1000 KM and that will really suck. Driving there is fun when everything is new but driving back just to return the bike will simply suck.

What I don't understand is that in the Philippines once you got away form the city the roads were pretty empty, I guess this is not the case in Thailand?

• Like 1

KhunPur, you got me thinking that may be the way to go, just rent the bikes at the destinations and keep them local.

Just thinking that if I wind up driving 1000 KM away, I have to drive back 1000 KM and that will really suck. Driving there is fun when everything is new but driving back just to return the bike will simply suck.

What I don't understand is that in the Philippines once you got away form the city the roads were pretty empty, I guess this is not the case in Thailand?

Good idea. Below is CM to Doi Suthep on a scooter.

That's very similar to driving in the Philippines, twisty roads and nobody on them. I don't understand what looks so dangerous?

I'm surprised nobody brought up the driving on the other side of the road as dangerous, I've never done it. Would suck to forget going around one of those turns on the wrong side.

• Like 1