Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone enlighten me and tell me what this word "scamming" (in the headline) 's got to do with this?

I think it means extorting money from people or bullying people for money in a way that purports to be legal but in fact does not support the rule of law. Random and arbitrary urine testing is both invasive and intimidating. To offer people the option of opting out of the procedure in exchange for a bribe to a policeman is a form of scam. The extortion in the case of a 'scam' involves a form of trickery not just direct theft. Here archaic drug laws combined with an inhuman prison system are harnessed to trick people onto compliance. There are many on line dictionaries available where you can check out idioms such as 'scam.' They are very useful for non native speakers of English.
Thank you.

What about archaic witch-hunt combined with a Guantanamo-like jail and money-laundering rregulations?

Also scam?

I am not sure I follow you but I have not heard about biological evidence tests for money laundering or the opportunity to buy your way out of the problem. That is news to me. My understanding is that conditions at Guantanamo were very good compared to Thai jails. The term witch hunt is often combined with 'Medieval.' Thus we could have: 'The practice of arbitrary detainments under the guise of enforcing an outdated and ill informed anti drugs policy is no better than a medieval witch hunt and attracts the same kind of puritanical supporters.' Is that what you were trying to say?

Not that I'm worried about testing positive, but this is enough to make me want to cancel my upcoming trip to Bangkok. Just not worth the hassle.

I would like to visit a sports equipment centre at:

Sports Engineering and Recreation Asia Ltd
387/6-7 Thonglor 21,
Sukhumvit 55, North Klongton,
Wattana, Bangkok 10110,
but it is apparently still dangerous if you are in a Taxi travelling to or from the area!
Trip cancelled and the store has been emailed to say why!

Go to the FBT building, it has everything for sports and sport equipment. Its a bit out of town its near ramkhangheang.

For those saying if your innocent your safe.. with cops like that your never safe and guys like that can plant something easily. There have been reports of that happening. How about a false positive if you have taken something like taurine or ephedrine (used to be in cold medicine).

Not that I'm worried about testing positive, but this is enough to make me want to cancel my upcoming trip to Bangkok. Just not worth the hassle.

387/6-7 Thonglor 21,
Wattana, Bangkok 10110,
but it is apparently still dangerous if you are in a Taxi travelling to or from the area!

Thonglor 21 is a good couple of miles from the area in question.

I think people are getting a little bit carried away with this.

Soalbundy - yes you are...but seriously, Micmichd is quite correct. If you disagree, then state why or point out your experience/s to the contrary. Perhaps, you have the problem, Al. Wake up or put up.

He appears to have this ''infamy,infamy, they've all got it in for me'' complex. How do you get ''kicked out'' of your own country, and what is with this talk of bullets and spades, he ought to lay off the Amphetamines or someone really will be knocking at his door.

Damn these corrupt policemen.....pay them a salary they can live of !! It is the yeat of 2014 and still Thailand cant Control their problems with

widespread corruption....it is so sad !!!! Another Nail in the coffin for a dying Tourist industry ! This will keep me from going to Bangkok....and my family....and my friends....and eventually all farangs !!!

Has the incidence actually increased, though? Or has there simply been a cluster of mentions on social media that the press have latched onto and turned into a panic?

It has. I've lived in Asoke for years and I've seen a lot more people being accosted by police.

Unless you're a drug user, it seems like a total over-reaction to me. The chances of being stopped are remote and even if you are, if you've got ID you'll be fine. It's been happening in this area for years and, while a pain in the arse and very annoying, is absolutely nothing new.

You're wrong.

The piss-testing IS new.

They used to be restricted to when cops raided a THAI establishment or in traffic checkpoints in places like Ratchada where lots of young Thais lash it up.

This is the first time I've heard of piss-testing of foreigners in the street in this area.

"...urine samples can test as positive due to the use of a contaminated container, for example." wai2.gifwai.gif

Would not surprise me whatsoever...

The other problem is that tourists arriving from overseas may not have gone "dry" before arriving and they are arrested for urine content and not on actually taking drugs while in Thailand.

Good point, is Thailand one of the few countries that someone could have stuff in their system but nothing done in country and be guilty in the 2 nd country ?

Damn these corrupt policemen.....pay them a salary they can live of !! It is the yeat of 2014 and still Thailand cant Control their problems with

widespread corruption....it is so sad !!!! Another Nail in the coffin for a dying Tourist industry ! This will keep me from going to Bangkok....and my family....and my friends....and eventually all farangs !!!

That is part of the problem is that the government basically setup the system and turned a blind eye to how the police were to fund themselves. Instead of paying a good professional wage and expecting professional behaviour. They pay then low wages, make them pay for their own equipment, and they turn a blind eye to them having to raise funds themselves. They create a system where the police have to buy their way on, they have to buy their promotions and they are part of a big pyramid scheme that they collect "fees" and contribute money up the pyramid and retain some of the revenue as return on the investment. To change the system there would have to be some sort of amnesty on the low end, introduction of polygraph tests, and zero tolerance and loss of salary / pension if they return to their old ways. They have to introduce professional training, exams and make them earn their promotions. It all starts at the policy makers though. They have to create civilian boards and Internal Affairs (actually a separate police force) to police the police.... I don't see that commitment because the government never really wanted to invest in a non-corrupt police force.

That is part of the problem is that the government basically setup the system and turned a blind eye to how the police were to fund themselves. Instead of paying a good professional wage and expecting professional behaviour. They pay then low wages, make them pay for their own equipment, and they turn a blind eye to them having to raise funds themselves. They create a system where the police have to buy their way on, they have to buy their promotions and they are part of a big pyramid scheme that they collect "fees" and contribute money up the pyramid and retain some of the revenue as return on the investment. To change the system there would have to be some sort of amnesty on the low end, introduction of polygraph tests, and zero tolerance and loss of salary / pension if they return to their old ways. They have to introduce professional training, exams and make them earn their promotions. It all starts at the policy makers though. They have to create civilian boards and Internal Affairs (actually a separate police force) to police the police.... I don't see that commitment because the government never really wanted to invest in a non-corrupt police force.

Let's start with the facts....how much are the police paid at different ranks, how does that compare to the salaries of other public servants and did the police not know the conditions when they joined?

Thank you. And where's the scam in the OP story?

I wouldn't like to be forced to pee in a box - but I would never call it "scam"

It is a scam if they say you are positive ( even if you are not) and then demand a "fine"!

I hardly ever go to he Soi 22 area,, But I AM in the Soi 4,, to Soi 21 areas nightly,, playing pool,,, I was in Soi 22 just last night to play in a pool league,,, I got there about 8pm,, and left about 12am,,,, they weren't around at 8,,, but there were about 8 or so of them about 2 blocks into Soi 22 about 12 when I left,,, They had about 3-4, "Farlangs" stopped,, going through their bags, packs, etc,,, which usually you don't see too often,, but it HAS increased!,,, Also usually, you don't see too many traffic stop in the Asok, to Ekemhai areas,, but those too have REALLY increased,,, They look to be very well organized,, And, "seem" to be making stop primarily for drunk driving,, Of course,, they're most likely searching for drugs also,,,, I do NOT have a problem catching over the limit drivers,,, but I DO have a huge problem with HOW they, "catch" them,,,, I CAN tell you from personal experience, what happened to myself, and my girlfriend in the Thong Lor area about a month ago,, I drive us to the area in the evening, for her work, and my pool playing,, I usually NEVER drive us home, because even after only say, 3-4 beers towards the end of the evening,, you're probably going to blow over the limit,,, This night,, I wasn't quite feeling well,, and beers just weren't, "tasting good, or going down well".... So over the course of the evening,, between about 6pm,, to about 1am,,, I had a total of about 2 beers, with the last 1, before about 9pm,,, So,,, 2 beers, over 3 hours, with the last one, 4, FOUR HOURS prior to leaving the area,,,, So, I actually decided to drive us home,,, We were waived over/stopped near Thong Lor area. by a cop standing in the far left lane, (which we were legally riding in, helmets and all,,, He asked me to blow,,, (whilst trying to grab the keys,, My girl quickly grabbed them out of the ignition,,, KNOWING there was NO way, I was going to blow over the limit,, I said sure,,, He punched a few buttons,, handed small, hand-held box to me,, with a USED mouth tube,,, while he was semi-not paying attention,, I never placed the tube IN my mouth,, but blew into it, while the tube was about 10mm from my lips,,,, i blew,, he turned back to me,,, grabbed it,, pushed some more buttons,, and said,, "You drunk",,, I of course said, "NO way",, as did my girl,, He REFUSED to show me the reading,,, He said, "$2000, and go",,,, He then walked BACK out into the left lane, to corral some others,,, whilst doing this,, my girl said, "get on",, and we promptly rode off,, took a side Soi,, knowing he was probably going to radio ahead,,,,, There is NO,, NO possible way,, that ANY POS, OLD, hand-held device, is going to read that you're, "over" doing what I did,,, NO WAY,,, besides the fact,, There's NO way of knowing, (since they won't show you them setting it up),,, If they don't just fake pushing buttons, resetting it, from a possible higher reading,, left by the PREVIOUS USER!!!!..... So ya,,, they WANNA get you?,,,, YOU'RE GOT!....

I get a kick outs the people commenting that they not mind being harrased by the police....

If not doing drugs and have all documents all will be fine no problem....TOTAL BULL CRAP.....

These thieving buggers will fined a way to get your money one way or another.

Even if you are 100% in the right they will prove you wrong some how !!!

That being said,

It is a Military marshal law state now so you are guilty in there eyes just for being in there country and have to pay the price in $$$$$ for being in wrong place at wrong time.

To bad as Thailand especially that shukimvit area lots of fun and things to do for us farang, good luck out there......PAPERS PLEASE.....grrrrr

Let's start with the facts....how much are the police paid at different ranks, how does that compare to the salaries of other public servants and did the police not know the conditions when they joined?

Don't know the different ranks - but salary starts at 6,000 baht a month. I was also told a long time ago, they are responsible for buying their own motorcycle, uniforms etc. You were expected by buy your way in, your promotions etc. 6,000 baht is not sufficient even at the lowest ranks.

I hardly ever go to he Soi 22 area,, But I AM in the Soi 4,, to Soi 21 areas nightly,, playing pool,,, I was in Soi 22 just last night to play in a pool league,,, I got there about 8pm,, and left about 12am,,,, they weren't around at 8,,, but there were about 8 or so of them about 2 blocks into Soi 22 about 12 when I left,,, They had about 3-4, "Farlangs" stopped,, going through their bags, packs, etc,,, which usually you don't see too often,, but it HAS increased!,,, Also usually, you don't see too many traffic stop in the Asok, to Ekemhai areas,, but those too have REALLY increased,,, They look to be very well organized,, And, "seem" to be making stop primarily for drunk driving,, Of course,, they're most likely searching for drugs also,,,, I do NOT have a problem catching over the limit drivers,,, but I DO have a huge problem with HOW they, "catch" them,,,, I CAN tell you from personal experience, what happened to myself, and my girlfriend in the Thong Lor area about a month ago,, I drive us to the area in the evening, for her work, and my pool playing,, I usually NEVER drive us home, because even after only say, 3-4 beers towards the end of the evening,, you're probably going to blow over the limit,,, This night,, I wasn't quite feeling well,, and beers just weren't, "tasting good, or going down well".... So over the course of the evening,, between about 6pm,, to about 1am,,, I had a total of about 2 beers, with the last 1, before about 9pm,,, So,,, 2 beers, over 3 hours, with the last one, 4, FOUR HOURS prior to leaving the area,,,, So, I actually decided to drive us home,,, We were waived over/stopped near Thong Lor area. by a cop standing in the far left lane, (which we were legally riding in, helmets and all,,, He asked me to blow,,, (whilst trying to grab the keys,, My girl quickly grabbed them out of the ignition,,, KNOWING there was NO way, I was going to blow over the limit,, I said sure,,, He punched a few buttons,, handed small, hand-held box to me,, with a USED mouth tube,,, while he was semi-not paying attention,, I never placed the tube IN my mouth,, but blew into it, while the tube was about 10mm from my lips,,,, i blew,, he turned back to me,,, grabbed it,, pushed some more buttons,, and said,, "You drunk",,, I of course said, "NO way",, as did my girl,, He REFUSED to show me the reading,,, He said, "$2000, and go",,,, He then walked BACK out into the left lane, to corral some others,,, whilst doing this,, my girl said, "get on",, and we promptly rode off,, took a side Soi,, knowing he was probably going to radio ahead,,,,, There is NO,, NO possible way,, that ANY POS, OLD, hand-held device, is going to read that you're, "over" doing what I did,,, NO WAY,,, besides the fact,, There's NO way of knowing, (since they won't show you them setting it up),,, If they don't just fake pushing buttons, resetting it, from a possible higher reading,, left by the PREVIOUS USER!!!!..... So ya,,, they WANNA get you?,,,, YOU'RE GOT!....

." So over the course of the evening,, between about 6pm,, to about 1am,,, I had a total of about 2 beers, with the last 1, before about 9pm,,,"

You don't sound too sure to me!

Don't know the different ranks - but salary starts at 6,000 baht a month. I was also told a long time ago, they are responsible for buying their own motorcycle, uniforms etc. You were expected by buy your way in, your promotions etc. 6,000 baht is not sufficient even at the lowest ranks.

If that's the starting salary then it sounds in line with other public servants....starting out teachers, nurses, firemen....and its survivable for a local...not a luxury life....but survivable and in future they would get pay rises. If they don't like that salary then don't do it. If they take the job and then claim the salary is too low so they have to take bribes and get involved in scams then they are criminals, that's all, just criminals, whether they say the salary is too low or not. Screw the low salary as an excuse, it was their choice to take the job. As far I am concerned they are criminals, vermin, no better than pedophiles and other scum of the world.

I do think it is worthy of updating the travel alerts to indicate that people should not travel to Thailand if they have used any drug for up to 3 months before. (you could add tables and vary the amount of time -- but simple is always better when it comes to warnings).

I had already given my nephew the same warning last year (though I said 2 weeks would probably be sufficient at that time).

Maybe your nephew would be better advised to stop taking drugs period.

It is our right to change our consciousness when we want. All totalitarian systems hate that right. In the unlikely even that you wish learn about this try reading ' The Pursuit of Oblivion.

If that's the starting salary then it sounds in line with other public servants....starting out teachers, nurses, firemen....and its survivable for a local...not a luxury life....but survivable and in future they would get pay rises. If they don't like that salary then don't do it. If they take the job and then claim the salary is too low so they have to take bribes and get involved in scams then they are criminals, that's all, just criminals, whether they say the salary is too low or not. Screw the low salary as an excuse, it was their choice to take the job. As far I am concerned they are criminals, vermin, no better than pedophiles and other scum of the world.

They are asking for corruption if they pay them 6,000 baht when rent for a room is 4,000 - 5,000 depending on AC etc. I know at least one bar where the waitress makes 4,500 base salary and they get tips on top of that.

Compare the difference in western countries. Toronto where I lived the salary starts at $58,000 for a cadet in training and goes up to $90,000 for a constable 1st class. I believe the starting salary for a computer programmer at one company I know is between $60,000 and $70,000. I believe a base salary for a computer programmer here I think starts at around 20,000 baht and goes up much higher.

Based on simple comparisons I would expect a cadet in training for an uncorrupt police force here should be at least 17,000 baht / month.

Old news regurgitated to put TV back on top of the news feeds.

Like many other scams, this is omnipresent and just one of the things to watch out for.

If you are clean, then you wouldn't need to bribe your way out of a test and if you have been partaking, then you are as dumb as dumb can be and for my part, deserve a few years in the Hilton.

My My! What made you so nasty as to wish the hell of a Thai prison on someone. That is just ugly thinking.

t

They are asking for corruption if they pay them 6,000 baht when rent for a room is 4,000 - 5,000 depending on AC etc. I know at least one bar where the waitress makes 4,500 base salary and they get tips on top of that.

Compare the difference in western countries. Toronto where I lived the salary starts at $58,000 for a cadet in training and goes up to $90,000 for a constable 1st class. I believe the starting salary for a computer programmer at one company I know is between $60,000 and $70,000. I believe a base salary for a computer programmer here I think starts at around 20,000 baht and goes up much higher.

Based on simple comparisons I would expect a cadet in training for an uncorrupt police force here should be at least 17,000 baht / month.

Its what Singapore do , the most highly paid Politicians in the world, not worth there while taking a back hander and that then filters through society

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Yeah, fly in from Washington State and Colorado where smoking pot is perfectly legal. Next thing you know you're sitting in a Thai jail for popping on THC. That would thoroughly suck, especially for tourists who are doing nothing illegal in their own counties. Yeah, this issue definitely needs world-wide exposure.

I think its mainly for Meth/Yeh Ba. If they are testing for weed then that hangs around in you for weeks. I dont think the instant ones on the street can pick it up, might be wrong but I thought that had to be lab test

So, pray tell us all connda, why do they want to come over here when smoking pot is perfectly illegal.

Please, tell them to stay in the country where it is legal, as it is not over here in Thailand.

Save your mates, please. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Win coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

So pray tell me Win, if you happened to be on a business trip to Saudi....and you're feelin' a bit toey, would you not look at porn back at the hotel? Porn is perfectly illegal in Saudi.

Hi,

Been and worked there, but not on business back in 1979, and never stayed in a hotel there either, by the way.

Win

387/6-7 Thonglor 21,

Wattana, Bangkok 10110,

Thonglor 21 is a good couple of miles from the area in question.

I think people are getting a little bit carried away with this.

Better safe than sorry!

That's why the Brits call them the filth.

That's why the Brits call them the filth.

Well, they are a product of the system - so if they are filth then those that created the system are worse than that.

Low salary is one of the reasons why they attract the wrong people... and even if the right people do join they are surrounded and controlled by all the wrong people that surround them. If you want to attract and build a professional police force - you have to pay a living wage. No decent wage the only people that join are going to be those that know they can top up the salary.

Edited by bkkcanuck8