Reports emerging of police drug testing scam in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder how many reading this can remember a good few years ago when a newspaper that cant be mentioned, gave an insight into certain positions that were up for grabs and the prices paid for such a position.

Sounds like nothing more than shaking the tree and seeing what falls out, that payment has to be recovered one way or the other.

I live beside a police station in Bkk, there must be at least 100+ policemen go by my area every day, never had a problem.

Bkk, has 50 districts, how many other districts have the same problem?

Mr General, get in there now and sort it out.

I have lived in Bangkok for thirty years. Never happened to me here. But it did happen to me on holiday in England. Didnt put me off going there unduly. The police in England always do this kind of thing in certain areas.

Then you obviously patronise the wrong areas. The issue here is less searches - though the number suggests their legality could doubtless be challenged on the grounds of due cause - than questionable methods, testing and evidence.

I can see Ploen Chit becoming a popular spot....Thonglor and its wealthy expats must be delighted to be keeping out the riff raff.

Smokes, its got to the point now, if I am ever in that part of town, I get on the BTS to Prakhanong and get a taxi home from there.

Have been stopped a few times, NEVER been asked for a passport.

Last time I was stopped, they pulled the taxi over, I had been stopped a few weeks previous and knew the drill, took off my shirt, opened the door and handed it to the policeman, sat in the taxi with my feet hanging out and started to take off my shoes and socks, even the taxi driver was pissing himself.

The whole area is a complete fecken joke, even the Thais tell me, dont go to the police station unless accompanied by a lawyer.

You go there by yourself as a witness, you are held as an accessory.

Isnt that the same area where Red Bull man pulled off his stunt, still on the sick in Singapore is he?

As has been mentioned by previous posters, Ekamai bus station is another favourite area.

It must piss them off that they cant make it down to Lumpini district and get in on the action on the lower Suk ghetto.

I'm amazed they can still get away with it in the Thonglor/Ekkamai area.....a lot of rich foreigners there.

It appears they are simply a law unto themselves.

I think these stories are appalling. I read another similiar tale yesterday. A tourist on his 2 week trip to Thailand. Second day in the mid- afternoon.

I don't know Bangkok very well, but tell me are Thonglor and Asoke 'red light districts'?

No, not at all. But what if they were? Thonglor is a Thai yuppie area,Korean businessmen steakhouses and a big Tesco. Also a few hugs and tugs places.

Asoke not a red light district?

You mean apart from Soi Cowboy?

There must be some mistake in the reporting of this so-called drug testing scam in Bangkok...

Everyone knows that the New Thai Police Force is corruption free and they are now truly dedicated to serve and protect the public...

This is just another Thai bashing posting...Thailand is wonderful...repeat after me...Thailand is wonderful...

Tourists should be able to understandbthat junkies are not welcome in Thailand. They should be able to figure out before they cross the border. Given that, they should be able to get clean in their home countries. If they prefer a trip on meth to a trip to Thailand, then it's up to them. Is that so difficult to understand?

Brings to mind a song by Warren Zevron called "Excitable Boy"...

You havn't smeared a pot roast over your chest per chance?

I think these stories are appalling. I read another similiar tale yesterday. A tourist on his 2 week trip to Thailand. Second day in the mid- afternoon.

I don't know Bangkok very well, but tell me are Thonglor and Asoke 'red light districts'?

No, not at all. But what if they were? Thonglor is a Thai yuppie area,Korean businessmen steakhouses and a big Tesco. Also a few hugs and tugs places.

Yeah well apart from Soi Cowboy and a few other places..............I stand corrected. I was actually thinking of Thong Lor and maybe that is too!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well that's one street not an entire district.

Asoke is a major business area

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well that's one street not an entire district.

Asoke is a major business area

When stop and search begins on Wireless Road and Soi Ruamrudee let me know....I will stock up on popcorn.

Tourists should be able to understandbthat junkies are not welcome in Thailand. They should be able to figure out before they cross the border. Given that, they should be able to get clean in their home countries. If they prefer a trip on meth to a trip to Thailand, then it's up to them. Is that so difficult to understand?

No But you are. And who said anything about junkies? The main concerns expressed here are about pot consumed when not even in Thailand

Meth or heroin, or pot, that was one of the first questions.

The bottom line is that is a daily occurrence, at Soi 22 they hide in the dark and jump on "suspected" falangs, the going rate is 20 to 30Kthb for thais and 50k thb for falangs to skip the test. Amazing Thailand, land where the police are notorious scammers.

can you clarify exactly where the hiding place is on soi 22 and known times.

If you have to go to Asoke, Soi 22, or Thong Lor, and you are on foot, just keep your eyes peeled and you stand a good chance of seeing any police before they see you. They are not the most quick or quick witted you'll meet and I would not think it would be too difficult to stay away from them. Cross the street, turnaround and walk quickly in the other direction, whatever it takes to avoid them just as you would avoid crossing paths with someone who looks like they might mug you.

If you get into a position where they can stop you, feign confusion, or pretend you can't see, hear and/or understand them or whatever it is just short of running away and just keep walking, don't stop. They probably will not physically grab you and make you stop. Look at your watch as though you are in a hurry and maybe even break into a jog. The minute you stop and open the interaction then you are totally vulnerable to being cooked in the tom yam tourist pot.

Maybe start acting mentally retarded, drool & spit a lot when you say something.

Sounds stupid but I bet it would work.

You suggest a Farang should act like a Farang is expected to behave?

Even though your reply makes you sound like a jerk, I hope you're not one of the 10% of the people randomly tested whose test returns a false positive, I'm sure the tone of your post after that would be quite different, and a lot more whiny.

Not that I'm worried about testing positive, but this is enough to make me want to cancel my upcoming trip to Bangkok. Just not worth the hassle.

Good... Don't come. Stay where you are!!!!

I don't. I hope he's hope he's next.

The bottom line is that is a daily occurrence, at Soi 22 they hide in the dark to jump on "suspected" falangs, the going rate is 20 to 30Kthb for thais and 50k thb for falangs to skip the test. Amazing Thailand, land where the police are notorious scammers.

I believe those are the rates that will get you out of a positive test.

Anyway never mind.

The whole country is a red light district smile.png Seriously.

And you sound like well traveled man. I bet you've been around the whole world, west coast to east coast.

Can someone enlighten me and tell me what this word "scamming" (in the headline) 's got to do with this?

I would have thought that 4 words give it away:-

"police drug testing scam"

The word "scam" is rather connotative - inflationary usage made it quite meaningless.

Fake promises, fake cops - only two examples out of many.

Brings to mind a song by Warren Zevron called "Excitable Boy"...

You havn't smeared a pot roast over your chest per chance?

I never go out without :D

I am a real estate investor. I will no longer be investing in Thailand. I do not consume drugs, but do not want to risk a false positive. In addition, it's not wise to invest in a market that discriminates against tourists as the exit strategies are minimized.

Farewell Mr. Real Estate Investor,

we will miss you oh too much.

I came along Sukhumvit in a taxi about an hour ago, there was police loitering around the entrances to soi 5 and soi 11 with walkie talkies in hand communicating with other police officers positioned slightly further away from the entrances to the soi's, (probably eyeing up intended targets). Also a huge police presence at the major traffic lights at Asoke. I have nothing to worry about as far as testing positive for a urine sample but just their mere presence is very intimidating.

I walked right past them today and they never gave me a second glance. They have been doing that for years. What they are doing is telling the next guy down the road that a farang is smoking and to watch out for where he throws the butt.

You toss a giggie on the street and they take you to their little box explain you have littered, fine you 2000 baht and give you an official receipt............and no they don't ask you to pee in a pot.

it's completely absurd that having traces of a substance in your blood counts as possession. The logic is completely flawed and makes enforcement rife for abuse.

If people have the actual substances about their person and are not the end user then investigate further. Can't see them reforming drug enforcement laws but they seriously should.

How criminalizing the end user and not targeting the wealthy and connected suppliers with any meaningful prolonged vigour while making these moves on regular citizens and tourisst in the capital seems awfully unjust

Wow news from the Samui Times............lets all go into a panic after all the Samui Times is one of the world leaders in news events.

I wonder how much the Nation or the Bangkok Post would pay them for this story?

Funny enough I saw some police standing at the corner of soi 21 Asoke today. I was doing a u turn on a motorcycle taxi and there was another one standing at the police box but he seemed more interested in what approchaing cars were doing than me...................the police at 21 also seemed to be stopping cars not tourists at least not when I passed.

Wasn't close enough to see if any of them had a bong or a sack of weed for planting on people but that's not to say they never had them........I love this forum so many sweetie wives making up little stories it's almost as good as coronation street was when Ena Sharples was alive

Maybe "Sharky" has the right idea after all, just go bananas at the them, swear at the top of your voice, prod them in the chest, and tell them they are a bunch of corrupt %^&&&'s. Then watch them disappear smile.png

If he keeps doing that, he will disappear... wai2.gifwai.gif

Wow news from the Samui Times............lets all go into a panic after all the Samui Times is one of the world leaders in news events.

I wonder how much the Nation or the Bangkok Post would pay them for this story?

It's been in the Bangkok post and the Wall Street Journal

I came along Sukhumvit in a taxi about an hour ago, there was police loitering around the entrances to soi 5 and soi 11 with walkie talkies in hand communicating with other police officers positioned slightly further away from the entrances to the soi's, (probably eyeing up intended targets). Also a huge police presence at the major traffic lights at Asoke. I have nothing to worry about as far as testing positive for a urine sample but just their mere presence is very intimidating.

I walked right past them today and they never gave me a second glance. They have been doing that for years. What they are doing is telling the next guy down the road that a farang is smoking and to watch out for where he throws the butt.

You toss a giggie on the street and they take you to their little box explain you have littered, fine you 2000 baht and give you an official receipt............and no they don't ask you to pee in a pot.

Would you suggest they are out for ecological education?

Archived