How to sue contractor merchant who took my deposit and failed to deliver ?

dannywla

I'm not one to lay down for anyone, but in this case, I would chalk it up to tuition in the school of hard knocks. You just learned something about doing business in Thailand. It was a valuable lesson, and, if you take it to heart, this sort of thing won't happen to you again.

However, I would make a police report and push as hard as I could in that regard. But at the end of the day, if you can get anything, even one baht, out of the merchant, count yourself lucky. Suing is not the answer; you will end up the loser. It is too expensive. Even if you win, you're in the hole. The court may award costs and fees, but you still have to collect it. If you have a lot of money, you might want to sue for the emotional satisfaction shitting on this guy would give you. But from a purely economic point of view, suing on an amount this small is a no win.

Edited by Reincarnation9

This forum is used to ask questions ! To get insight, why not ask how best to handle this matter even if it's 16,000 Thai baht. No need to get cynical comments, I have a Mom !

I believe there is fraud if he fails to deliver the services and products. Had he delivered it in the past three weeks when he received that good faith deposit, there would be no issues. Not even a call, but on due date a lame excuse. Today I can pay a glass shop to do that job and pay upon completion.

However, since I choose to special order a large piece of tempered glass a security deposit was reasonable.

Best to give him that grace period. Then let my wife take action and get the police involved.

correct .... wait until 17th and see if he completes the task as promised.

Don't overreact ...... this is thailand remember. Creating a big issue out of it could cost you more than your deposit.

See how he comes through on the date and if not have the wifey talk to him and see what arrangement can be made before you advise him you will be filing a complaint with your lawyer ( but just saying ) .... and the police ...

Understand .... if he has no money .... you file the complaint ...... he still has no money ...... this drags on & on for months and months ..... he still has no money ....

What i'm telling you is you need to come to a win situation through talking with him and not ... sue ....sue ... police .... complaint ...police ..sue . This will not get your money back. wai2.gif

• Like 1

If the agreed date for completion is 17th, then, technically, there is no legal issue until the work is not completed on the 18th. The contractor still has a week to complete the job, and heaven forbid it might just all happen on time and this is all a case of thinking too mut.

Then of course it might all fall in a heap and all the hubris above will apply.

Consumer protection board, free service, might take a few month if has to go all the way.

I will most definitely second that! thumbsup.gif

I took on one of Thailand's biggest corporations and despite their assertions that it was their company policy not to refund my money the OCPB made them give me back every last satang! laugh.png

Not only are they a free service but you can write away to your heart's content and describe the shoddy treatment you have received to this government agency and not be worried about the threat of being sued for defamation.

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1