Prayut: Graft busters 'need protection'

webfact

Graft busters 'need protection'
The Nation

30249416-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha presides over the signing of a memorandum of understanding to ensure justice in a bid to reduce social disparity. In his speech, delivered at Bangkok

Prayut says those working to keep govt officials in line face risks

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that graft busters and others operating under duress to keep public office holders in line deserve protection from authorities.

"Members of the NACC [National Anti-Corruption Commission] and other independent organisations risk danger as they have to work under pressure," the general said.

"We must take care of them. They sometimes get threats and their families also suffer. People who do good deeds often face perils. Bad people often resort to illegal means," he said in a speech at the NACC head office in Nonthaburi.

Prayut was speaking on "Transparency in Thailand's organisational management" before presenting the NACC's Transparent Organisation Awards to winners from the public and private sectors.

However, the situation was improving under his administration, he said.

Before the coup in May, officials of independent organisations, particularly the NACC, became targets of people with political links.

Grenades were fired into the NACC building and courthouses, and some staff and their families got threatening phone calls.

Corruption was "a dangerous trap for the country", he said.

Laws needed to be strictly enforced to subdue the graft menace, while the public should boycott corrupt public office holders who did not merit honour.

"Corrupt people must be punished. They should feel remorse for their wrongdoings, instead of being proud of their ill-gotten gains. Society must reject those kinds of people," he said.

The four winners of the Transparent Organisation Awards were the Health Department, Metropolitan Electricity Authority, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand and Tisco Financial Group Plc.

Awards for transparency went to 19 public and private organisations, which included the Cooperative Auditing Department, Business Development Department, Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand, Bangkok Life Assurance Plc, Seagate Technology (Thailand) Co, Thai British Security Printing Plc, Premier Marketing Plc and King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok.

NACC president Panthep Klanarongran said the four award recipients met the anti-graft agency's criteria for social responsibility, respect for the rule of law and human rights, transparency and code of ethics.

The awards programme was part of the NACC's campaign to raise public awareness of the evils of corruption.

"The goal is to create widespread opposition against corruption and restore transparency in Thai society. We must not submit to corruption and we have to stand up against any form of corruption," he said.

If corruption was allowed to run rampantly, Thailand would be doomed.

"It's time everyone in the country sees that corruption is unacceptable."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Graft-busters-need-protection-30249416.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-09

His now famous answers to the journalist who inquired about the details of his father's 600 Million land sale, are an indication of how serious he is about protection of graft busters.

All the details on the sale have been published.

Graft busters may need protection but they also need massive, proper support from a system and personalities within it that fail them.

Big talk is easy then action is muted and all sorts of excuses etc produced to prevent, or limit, decisive action being taken and appropriate penalties administered.

The public has heard all these ' brave words and fighting talk ' before and that's usually an end to it.

• Like 2

The police and the average civil servant live on subsistant wages. How are you going to stamp out corruption if people cannot afford basic necessities ? He is talking about the sympton and not the root of the problem. Also, it is not clear if he just not part of a competing corrupt faction.

• Like 1

His now famous answers to the journalist who inquired about the details of his father's 600 Million land sale, are an indication of how serious he is about protection of graft busters.

Link ?

It's interesting that you're asking for a link, given you were heavily involved in the thread discussing him "blowing his top" about questions. Selective memory?

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/prayuth-on-defensive-over-familys-600-million-baht-property-sale.html

Link ?

It's interesting that you're asking for a link, given you were heavily involved in the thread discussing him "blowing his top" about questions. Selective memory?

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/prayuth-on-defensive-over-familys-600-million-baht-property-sale.html

So to proof that all details on the sale have been prublished, you provide a link that starts with the words:

Thailand’s military leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has refused to elaborate on the 600 million baht land sale he made to a private company last year.

And continues with the statements :

Gen. Prayuth, who is still serving as the chairman of the junta’s National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), was similarly dismissive when asked about his investments last week.

“I don’t know. I don’t remember,” Gen. Prayuth said on 1 November. “I am not a businessman. Please don’t ask me about this.”

When it emerged that his brother, Lt.Gen. Preecha Chan-ocha, who is serving as a member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), “accidentally” included official army bank accounts in his personal assets last month, Gen. Prayuth defended his brother and warned that the media may face possible repercussions if Lt.Gen. Preecha is proven to be innocent.

Is that your apologist nature playing up again ?

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 2

So to proof that all details on the sale have been prublished, you provide a link that starts with the words:

Thailand’s military leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has refused to elaborate on the 600 million baht land sale he made to a private company last year.

He refused to elaborate because all the details of the sale were already available.

edit: I didn't say he was clean. I just said the land sale details are known.

Edited by whybother

This has been the bane of past graft busters and most have ended up either dead or disappeared, the trick is for the population to start demanding that corruption busters be protected and family members / friends reporting the whereabouts of motor bike gunmen ,( no good to a dead GBuster) once public opinion starts to place pressure on these cowards, drive by killings will slow not necessary stop, for this is a pastime not solely owned by Thailand, never the less the lack of moral fibre within the community has a lot to do with this problem. coffee1.gif

He refused to elaborate because all the details of the sale were already available.

Apologies for my ignorance but can you explain the following to me?

- All details of the sale are available already.

-Everybody has questions about a sale from which, according to you, all details are available.

So if all details are available, then why he refuses to elaborate, and does he say " I don't know. I don't remember "?

-Everybody has questions about a sale from which, according to you, all details are available.

So if all details are available, then why he refuses to elaborate, and does he say " I don't know. I don't remember "?

I don't know why he refuses to elaborate. Maybe because he doesn't know or doesn't remember the details of what was being asked. Do you know what was being asked?

What do you want to know about the sale?

I don't know why he refuses to elaborate. Maybe because he doesn't know or doesn't remember the details of what was being asked. Do you know what was being asked?

What do you want to know about the sale?

I feel you try to divert from the real issue, once again, same as in the thread where you were the only one trying to defend the issue by talking around the subject.

I don't have any specific question, people who have access to much more information than me regarding the sale have questions. Why is that if all information is available?

He doesn't know or doesn't remember? If all details were readily available, then by now he would have had the time to just look them up at the same sources that are readily available to everybody, don't you think?

Over and out.

How can he say all this and keep a straight face?! The military is the most corrupt institution in the land. If people only knew how rich these generals are you would be truly shocked. ALL of it the proceeds of corruption protected by "those upstairs".

I feel you try to divert from the real issue, once again, same as in the thread where you were the only one trying to defend the issue by talking around the subject.

I don't have any specific question, people who have access to much more information than me regarding the sale have questions. Why is that if all information is available?

He doesn't know or doesn't remember? If all details were readily available, then by now he would have had the time to just look them up at the same sources that are readily available to everybody, don't you think?

Over and out.

How am I trying to divert the issue? The issue was raised about the land sale and I am asking "What about it?"

The land has been in the family for decades. It was sold 18 months ago for a price that appears to be a fair value. So, what about the land deal? You're the one with the issue about it. What is your problem?

Over and out.

How am I trying to divert the issue? The issue was raised about the land sale and I am asking "What about it?"

The land has been in the family for decades. It was sold 18 months ago for a price that appears to be a fair value. So, what about the land deal? You're the one with the issue about it. What is your problem?

For the last time, I don't have an issue nor a problem, other people who have much more access than me to all available information regarding the transaction, like journalists, have raised the issue.

If all information indeed was available they would have no reason to raise the issue and there wouldn't be anything Prayuth doesn't want to elaborate about.

You will understand that there is a significant distinction between " all information" and " all available information".

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

Over and out.

When Prayut did not declare his assets he was deemed undemocratic and non transparent and a bad example to the people.

When Prayut DID declare his assets he was deemed undemocratic and non transparent and a bad example to the people.

He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't by some. They argue for the sake of arguing. They detest that Thailand's corruption perception index is improving. (Junta cannot control this index so it is denounced by some) They detest that the Junta are doing a good job. They detest that his constant dialogue is fighting corruption when the previous regimes actions were constant grenades lobbed over the wall of the NACC by their supporters. (not one person arrested for this either)

Of course the people that have ALL the information is the anti graft commission he declared it too and they have no questions.

BUT then PTP logic dictates that the anti graft commission are in on the conspiracy as that sits in well with their agenda. If the journalists stated there was no hint of corruption they too would be in on the conspiracy.

PTP logic right there folks!

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1