Thailand orders Uber to halt taxi services, says operating illegally

webfact

Thailand orders Uber to halt taxi services, says operating illegally
Reuters

BANGKOK — Thailand’s Department of Land Transport on Tuesday said U.S. taxi booking app maker Uber was operating illegally in the country and has ordered it to halt its services.

“They have to stop operations immediately,” Director-General Thiraphong Rodprasert told reporters.

Uber drivers who use personal vehicles for commercial use could face a fine of 2,000 baht ($61), Thiraphong said after meeting with representatives from Uber, GrabTaxi and EasyTaxi to discuss regulating internet taxi services.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/thailand-orders-uber-to-halt-taxi-services-says-operating-illegally/article22001041/

-- THE GLOBE AND MAIL 2014-12-09

So a meth-ed up cab driver in a cab with a picture that looks nothing like him careering through the streets of the city in a barely working old Toyota is ok, but Uber isn't? There's a chasm between these regulators and basic common sense,

It's Uber that that broke the camel's back....OK to be on meth and be using a different picture, but throw in use of Uber also well that's just over the top...downright dangerous. Glad the govt is looking out for its citizens....or is it "watching their citizens" now days.

• Like 1

So a meth-ed up cab driver in a cab with a picture that looks nothing like him careering through the streets of the city in a barely working old Toyota is ok, but Uber isn't? There's a chasm between these regulators and basic common sense,

It's Uber that that broke the camel's back....OK to be on meth and be using a different picture, but throw in use of Uber also well that's just over the top...downright dangerous. Glad the govt is looking out for its citizens....or is it "watching their citizens" now days.

In India, Uber driver raped woman.

Charged, but if you had actually been in an Uber car in India (as I have) you'd know that it's another completely different thing to what is on the road in BKK.

And of the tens of thousands of Uber drivers worldwide, one has been charged with a heinous offence. Several pilots have flown their passenger jets into the ground on purpose, but - more fool me I guess - I still fly in planes with pilots.

• Like 2

Uber is not the answer to the problem. Unfortunately, they exploit the cab drivers at least if not worse than most private cab companies in that they are making an obscene amount of profits without passing them on to their employees. Best I can say is: A plague on both of their houses.

"Uber, the car-share service company, announced yesterday it got more money from venture capitalists this year than any other company, putting its value at around $40 billion -- higher than American Airlines. Yet Uber employs only 1,500 people directly. The rest of its “employees” – the drivers who use their own cars -- take on almost all the cost and risk. In fact (as the New York Times revealed yesterday), Uber demands drivers handle any and all damage claims themselves through their own personal car insurance, even though those insurance companies don’t cover commercial activity. Which means Uber drivers aren’t insured to drive others for money. Which means Uber riders won't collect if there's an accident.

So is Uber a $40 billion success story or a dangerous scam?" - Robert Reich

So you fine tune the system as happened when radio turned up and musicians the world over tried to have it shut down as exploiting the hard working muso. Customer to required service via an app provider is not going to go away simply because we don't like it or we want to preserve the past. This is a little like typsetters trying to shut down word processors because the future is not to their liking.

Edited by Snig27
  • Like 1

Uber's not the problem.

It's the fact that the guy that shows up will probably be an unlicensed commercial driver, driving a car that hasn't paid to be a taxi, with insurance that isn't valid when carrying you for hire.

Uber just puts together people who have something (a ride) with people who want it. Just like Napster.

Charged, but if you had actually been in an Uber car in India (as I have) you'd know that it's another completely different thing to what is on the road in BKK.

And of the tens of thousands of Uber drivers worldwide, one has been charged with a heinous offence. Several pilots have flown their passenger jets into the ground on purpose, but - more fool me I guess - I still fly in planes with pilots.

I am just stating a fact. Nothing more.

You might disagree with my fact, or agree with me.

I am just stating a fact. Nothing more.

You might disagree with my fact, or agree with me.

So what. A taxi driver hacked an American to death last year in bang n.a.. what is your point? Normal non uber taxis drivers are angels lol

• Like 1

Heck, in India women are raped on public buses and the rapists probably can't even spell Uber.

Well it seems according to news received that Uber is under pressure in Europe to cease their operations and now India too.

Got to be something adrift somewhwer to pronpt these actions

point is, looka, I am self employed, have to get a license from the board of commerce in just any frriggin country, and obliged to pay taxes.

Uber just cuts in , download their app and makes privateers who own cars start to transport people for payment.

Who, by any means, should support this invasion calling out for the illegal use of cars ?

UBER should be banned until their drivers apply to local laws, register themselves and pay taxes and license fees.. and that's only rightful means,

above all paying taxes on your profits.

I really want to see the driver who after all the loopholes closed, wants to work under UBER

The prices are to rise, that's for sure, for registered taxis and for Uber wheel pushers

20% and in some countries it is 30% , UBER is an attack to our right to make commerce worth while for the people who comply to laws, pay their

taxes and succumb to checks on the technical oompoo of their transporatations.

UBER contributes NOTHING and wants to earn EVERYTHING. Uber does not control the safety of your taxi, not does it guarantee to pay for your

hospital bill, in case the taxi gets involved into a cruel accident.

Such practises should be banned for the sake of protecting people. Ban UBER for the sake of all the values that made our society's strong and made people to stand up for each other if shit happens. Don't let impersonators take over your business.

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

That's a farcical, mythical example you've dreamed up but, yes, it is better than unlicenced uninsured Uber drivers using private vehicles to flout the law.

A suggestion:

1/ acquire a SIM

2/ put in your phone, or an old one is even better

3/ make sure your phone does NOT disclose GPS location

4/ book a Uber taxi from a remote suburb to the airport

5/ give the street address of the suburb's police station

6/ accept the first offer

7/ turn off old phone or remove SIM

8/ repeat occasionally

Edited by halloween

A suggestion:

1/ acquire a SIM

2/ put in your phone, or an old one is even better

3/ make sure your phone does NOT disclose GPS location

4/ book a Uber taxi from a remote suburb to the airport

5/ give the street address of the suburb's police station

6/ accept the first offer

7/ turn off old phone or remove SIM

8/ repeat occasionally

Good thinking until you realise you have to pay for your Uber booking at the time of booking the journey - they have your credit/debit card details.

Grab Taxi is a better app and a better service

Yes Man, The daily Indian raping competition: UBER driver : 1

other Indian animals : 964

• Like 2

for uber, they demand a new car, ... taxi drivers asked recently to use cars till 12 years old ...

with uber you can track your ride and plan it, ... taxi drivers sometimes play the game of not knowing where they are to feed the meter

is the 2000 baht fine als for FARANG drivers, or do they add deportation & some other extra's for working without a WP ?

or is it the similar, double , triple pricing & charges for the non local ?

What is it about this app that drives people to rape. Was it Android or the IOS version.

on the way home from work last night saw a road accident due to a driver running a red light; ban traffic lights? ban car drivers? ban roads? maybe i should never use the road again. they're just not safe!

I have seen the headline about the India case, but I admit I have not followed the story at all. I know nothing of the details... but I believe the driver is ACCUSED... not convicted.

But my real point is that if that one drivers actions are sufficient to cause a complete ban on Uber, then the entire Thai transportation system should be made illegal.

How many acts of extortion, rape, assault, and murder have been committed by the "legal" taxi drivers in Thailand? Not to mention the songtaw's, vans, buses, and the Thai Railway system...

And that is before you even consider the "accidents" caused by lack of driver training, lack of vehicle maintenance, lack of law enforcement, and lack of common sense.

Coming back to the case in India, as terrible as it is that it happened, I would suggest that BECAUSE of Uber, they know exactly who that driver was and the police could investigate the case and make an arrest. Sadly, that ISN'T the case with Thailand's regular taxis when Somchai is driving the taxi with someone else's hack license on the dash.

Every statement that has been made by transportation officials about Uber's lack of "safety" is a complete farce. Uber is better and safer in every way when compared to the traditional taxi system.

This is all about who gets paid the tea money... that's all it is EVER about in this country.

• Like 1

point is, looka, I am self employed, have to get a license from the board of commerce in just any frriggin country, and obliged to pay taxes.

Uber just cuts in , download their app and makes privateers who own cars start to transport people for payment.

Who, by any means, should support this invasion calling out for the illegal use of cars ?

UBER should be banned until their drivers apply to local laws, register themselves and pay taxes and license fees.. and that's only rightful means,

above all paying taxes on your profits.

I really want to see the driver who after all the loopholes closed, wants to work under UBER

The prices are to rise, that's for sure, for registered taxis and for Uber wheel pushers

20% and in some countries it is 30% , UBER is an attack to our right to make commerce worth while for the people who comply to laws, pay their

taxes and succumb to checks on the technical oompoo of their transporatations.

UBER contributes NOTHING and wants to earn EVERYTHING. Uber does not control the safety of your taxi, not does it guarantee to pay for your

hospital bill, in case the taxi gets involved into a cruel accident.

Such practises should be banned for the sake of protecting people. Ban UBER for the sake of all the values that made our society's strong and made people to stand up for each other if shit happens. Don't let impersonators take over your business.

Crazygreg,

I will agree that there are elements of the Uber biz model that need to be changed... they do need to comply with the local laws related to driver licensing and insurance for being a commercial service...

However, I take exception with your argument because I can't believe that you would say these things that seem to imply that if I get into that beat up 1980-something toyota corolla blasting Issan music that it would be any safer.

The taxi driver is more likely to not have a drivers license at all, or to have the proper license, or to have EVER had any training in driving a car in his life, or to have insurance, or to have ever had brakes or tires or anything else fixed in the car, and it will definitely not have seat belts...

Do you really think that if Somchai's taxi gets in a wreck and I end up in the hospital that he has the insurance to cover me? You must be completely delusional.

Uber may not cover me either, but I have my own medical insurance... and at least with Uber I'm in a new Camry with a seat belt, new tires, new brakes, airbags... and they don't drive like <deleted> idiots like the regular taxis do. So the chances of me being seriously injured are substantially reduced.

That's a farcical, mythical example you've dreamed up but, yes, it is better than unlicenced uninsured Uber drivers using private vehicles to flout the law.

Sviss Geez for brains...

Are you serious??? "flout the law? The <deleted> LAW??? The same law that let's these taxi gangsters run unheeded over everything in this country? Ripping people off, assaulting them, refusing service, blocking public roads, driving like complete <deleted>... that law???

You clearly must not have spent much time in Thailand...

You have never been picked up by a taxi driver who is drunk or stoned and you had to make him pull over and find another taxi for fear of your life?

Or one who is just out of his mind thinking he is trying out for the Redbull racing team??? Driving on the wrong side of the road, overtaking on blind corners, doing 120km down Petchauri road?

Or one with the brakes grinding at every stop?

Or the wheel bearings so worn out you can't believe the wheels stay on?

Or the worn out tie rods and totally shot suspension bouncing and weaving down the highway?

Not to mention the bald tires with the belts showing?

When I have to use a taxi these days, I do a visual inspection of the driver and car before I get in... If I see anything I don't like, including "sport" steering wheels, modified exhaust, and crap like that, I just wave them on. And once i'm in, if they do anything stupid, I'm out. Occasionally, if they have not done anything really terrible, they might get one chance to jai yen... then I'm out.

In what possible way could riding with these numbskulls be "better" than Uber??