Suspected Drunk Driver in fatal road crash on Pattaya Beach

webfact

Here's an idea: get a room for the night, unless of course you must be in some hiso hotel. If not, seems like about same amount of cash laid out. Might even get breakfast tossed in.

Sounds good you can park your bike at the hotel and then have your fun sleep there and go back home sober the next day.

For 1200 baht you can get 2 rooms in Pattaya and sleep there. Would never pay 1200 to the baht bus mafia.

Probably cheaper than that, but I'd rather be in own quiet and comfy bed! Plus, I have other family at home I need to deal with.

It really is a mafia setup. They are lined up and you have to take the next in line. You can not go to another vehicle and try and negotiate. I guess we could have walked around a bit and down the road, but the ladies were all dressed up and we were just to tired to try. What can you do?

• Like 1

For 1200 baht you can get 2 rooms in Pattaya and sleep there. Would never pay 1200 to the baht bus mafia.

Probably cheaper than that, but I'd rather be in own quiet and comfy bed! Plus, I have other family at home I need to deal with.

It really is a mafia setup. They are lined up and you have to take the next in line. You can not go to another vehicle and try and negotiate. I guess we could have walked around a bit and down the road, but the ladies were all dressed up and we were just to tired to try. What can you do?

I usually stop an empty cruiser and negotiate with them. ie songtaew...usually 400baht to the darkside

I have never used a normal taxi but anywhere they are parked will cost you approx. double from my experience.

I see pedestrians crossing the road without checking and moving slowly without a care in the world, I see drivers

speeding like they were on an F1 track. The early hours of the morning gives a high probability to the pedestrian

being under the influence as well as the car driver. When I cross the street I check carefully and move swiftly.

The road is the domain of cars and the sidewalk pedestrians. RIP sad.png

• Like 1

its a toss up between bangkok drivers and pattaya drivers as to who are more dangerous

I would say that people who drink and drive are most dangerous unfortunately expats here often seem to think its ok to do so.

Quite right, nearly every Farang I know who drinks Alcohol and has his own transport, Drinks and Drives on a regular basis.

And I know a lot of people.

Edited by Banzai99

Is she a redbull heir? Maybe she just has to go "on vacation" for a bit and this will all pass over whistling.gif

That old "red bull" chestnut doesn't get anymore amusing or original, not to mention informed, no matter how many times it is brought up. It hasn't "passed over".

In all fairness, has the deceased also been checked for alcohol in the blood? Yes, this is tragic, but in the wee hours of the morning it is ignorant to focus on the one and not the two, or more.

My point being, on any given day... in the wee hours of the morning... there are drunken people bolting out in front of vehicles who do not fit the description of this lady, and who are in fact driving legally and are sober.

If the deceased is also determined to have a high limit of alcohol or other mind impairing drugs in the blood, then the lady should not have to foot all the blame. She should get her just due, yes; ...but she should not have to foot all the blame.

The only reason I had to state this, is because I am seriously wondering why a sober person... in the wee hours of the morning... would be stupid enough to walk out on a surface - that is known to be used for vehicles that can kill you if they hit you - and not look both ways and calculate the the best moment to cross.

Bad on the lady, and the jury is still out on the deceased.

"The only reason I had to state this, is because I am seriously wondering why a sober person... in the wee hours of the morning... would be stupid enough to walk out on a surface - that is known to be used for vehicles that can kill you if they hit you - and not look both ways and calculate the the best moment to cross."

Because he suffered from a complaint know as "human nature" in which everyone (excluding you, clearly) can make an unwise error of judgement occasionally.

To use your own, and the only reasonable logic, if the driver hadn't been so tanked-up and driving so fast there may have been a possibility that she could have avoided killing the pedestrian.

• Like 2

Its one thing to drink and drive ,but if you have been drinking why not drive at a more sedate pace and not race down the road like a mad fool ,this is what most drunk Thais seem to do.

How about you just get a cab when you drink. Sounds far better to me.

That's a great idea. Except Pattaya doesn't have metered taxis. And negotiating with baht bus driver at 2am is no fun. Nor is a 30 minute ride on the back of a scooter!

Sure wish we had taxis like Bangkok. Even with the problems they've got there.

Pattaya's taxis have been taken off the road then, have they?

That's a great idea. Except Pattaya doesn't have metered taxis. And negotiating with baht bus driver at 2am is no fun. Nor is a 30 minute ride on the back of a scooter!

I agree its not easy.. but then again if you can afford to get pissed you can afford a baht bus driver too. But even so if you get pissed in BKK near nana or so you will have to negotiate with taxi drivers too. Don't expect them to turn on the meter that easy around that area and time.

As you actually know, the vast majority of taxis are happy to use their meters, but don't let reality get in the way of another weak Thai-bash.

As I actually know is that around that time in that area meter taxis are hard to get. Been here 8 years seen it all was no Thai bash its just reality.

• Like 1

its a toss up between bangkok drivers and pattaya drivers as to who are more dangerous

I would say that people who drink and drive are most dangerous unfortunately expats here often seem to think its ok to do so.

Of all the drunk driving going on in Thailand, you can be sure that the Thais are the most drunk drivers all over the country and cause many accidents, but those are never mentioned in TV, since it stays local and does not involve tourist area's.

After the bars close, who fill up the baht taxi's and motorbikes, the farangs do, hardly ever any Thais, because they drive drunk.

Yes expats also do, but a lot less.

The way Thais drive, a drunk farang is probably still a better driver then a sober Thai.

That is exactly the mentality I am talking about why expats drink and drive. the Bwana syndrome thinking they are better at something and can drink and drive.

Yep...I don't drink but vividly remember an intoxicated farang lecturing me about having a quiet smoke with my coffee before he staggered off to his motorbike. Quite true I swear, he accused me of endangering his life!

In all fairness, has the deceased also been checked for alcohol in the blood? Yes, this is tragic, but in the wee hours of the morning it is ignorant to focus on the one and not the two, or more.

My point being, on any given day... in the wee hours of the morning... there are drunken people bolting out in front of vehicles who do not fit the description of this lady, and who are in fact driving legally and are sober.

If the deceased is also determined to have a high limit of alcohol or other mind impairing drugs in the blood, then the lady should not have to foot all the blame. She should get her just due, yes; ...but she should not have to foot all the blame.

The only reason I had to state this, is because I am seriously wondering why a sober person... in the wee hours of the morning... would be stupid enough to walk out on a surface - that is known to be used for vehicles that can kill you if they hit you - and not look both ways and calculate the the best moment to cross.

What utter nonsense what you say. Any reasonable person would know the approximate speed limit in the area they are about to cross. If someone comes speeding that person crossing would not be able to judge when to cross.

• Like 1

Its one thing to drink and drive ,but if you have been drinking why not drive at a more sedate pace and not race down the road like a mad fool ,this is what most drunk Thais seem to do.

How about you just get a cab when you drink. Sounds far better to me.

I agree its not easy.. but then again if you can afford to get pissed you can afford a baht bus driver too. But even so if you get pissed in BKK near nana or so you will have to negotiate with taxi drivers too. Don't expect them to turn on the meter that easy around that area and time.

Actually, that's not factual about Nana, BKK. Done it dozens of times without any negotiations or refusal to turn on meters. Several times the taxi driver had to wake me up when he arrived at my dropping-off point without any expectation of any more money.

Actually, that's not factual about Nana, BKK. Done it dozens of times without any negotiations or refusal to turn on meters. Several times the taxi driver had to wake me up when he arrived at my dropping-off point without any expectation of any more money.

Different experiences then times I went there it was a hassle getting one turning on the meter.

• Like 1

If there is to be a post of the year for sheer and utter nonsense, then this is it. Do you have any idea of what you just said? Perhaps I can sum it up for you - you are in effect suggesting an intoxicated pedestrian should be charged with being drunk in charge of a pair of shoes.

• Like 2

Different experiences then times I went there it was a hassle getting one turning on the meter.

It's not just the Nana area and it's not just foreigners that have problems with this. I use to have to go out to the main road with my wife's brother to help him get a taxi. This was years ago and they'd just refuse to stop. Or refuse to take him due to the distance. So I'd go to the road, near MBK, flag down the taxi with my wife, negotiate the rate as it was a far distance, then put him in the car. Crazy game to play, but it was necessary.

And no, we don't have metered taxis here in Pattaya. They have meters but refuse to use them. Last time I heard the rate was 400B from The Avenue to the North Pattaya bus station.

P.S. a few off topic posts have been removed from view.

Actually being a Pattaya driver I would say the former, particularly when they are driving in Pattaya.

Frequent near misses,low clearance, horn honking, not stopping at lights and tailgating are what I notice.

But alcohol is our problem in this case.

Actually being a Pattaya driver I would say the former, particularly when they are driving in Pattaya.

Frequent near misses,low clearance, horn honking, not stopping at lights and tailgating are what I notice.

But alcohol is our problem in this case.

Poor Driving Skills is all over THAILAND, its not a pleasure to drive here, i avoid it at all costs...

• Like 1

And 1st Prize for 'The Dumbest Post of the Year' goes to............

A good thing about living up country (small town, about 20,000 in Phetchabun) is the late night traffic, or lack of. The town stops around 9.00pm and all you can see is the flickering TV behind the locked shutter doors. Driving home at 2.00am is no problem. Just make sure that the really pissed farangs and their wives leave the club or party before we do. Never more than one beer if the kids are in the truck though.