UK pensions-life certificate

I've been reading through this thread and I have seen that some people have got their Thai bank manager to witness the signature. Someone added a link to the government website regarding life certificate: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

You are then referred to another link which shows who can sign a passport photo. They state that the criteria is the same as witnessing the life certificate. Here is the link: https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

I see two problems with using a Thai bank manager or any other type professional.

Who can sign forms and photos Personal relationship

The countersignatory must:

• have known the person applying for at least 2 years
  • be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)
Where you’re applying from

If you’re applying in the UK, the countersignatory must:

• live in the UK
  • have a current British or Irish passport

If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. But your application will be processed more quickly if they have a British or Irish passport.

When they hold a US, Commonwealth or other EU (not British or Irish) passport, they must provide a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it. This must be included with the countersigned application.

Now, have I missed something or am I right in saying Thai officials cannot be a witness?

what you have posted is an utter load of BS.in case you dont live in thailand BS.is BULL S-IT.

nothing you posted is correct and is not in the accompanied letter of who can sign and witness the life certificate.

so all you goverment or embassy mouth pieces please refrain from posting utter rubbish.

please excuse the spelling,[welsh you now]

How can you be so sure that the extension that you have requested will be granted by the DWP at Newcastle even if you are told so, you have no proof of this, only their word and I doubt if they will put it in writing. My experience this year with Newcastle leaves a great deal to be desired. I had to return to the UK due to my fathers death and my mothers serious illness. I telephoned Newcastle and explained the circumstances and asked them to up rate my pension whilst I was in the UK.. They told me that's no problem and told me the new rate I would be getting each week. They then took all details where I was staying including telephone number and asked me if I knew when I would be returning to Thailand to which they were told I have no idea at present. I was told that's okay we will send out a form and the day before you go back to Thailand fill it in and send it back until then we will continue to pay your pension at the new rate. A few days later I received said form and filed it away. So what do think happened when I checked my bank account, my pension had been paid at the rate I get in Thailand. When I rung them up they told me they had paid my pension at that rate because the thought I had now returned to Thailand has I had not informed them when I was returning. They denied that they had sent out a form and even if they had it had been a mistake, even though I had it in my hand. To cut a very long story short it took a total of three phone calls and several weeks later to get my pension paid at the correct rate for the UK. Incidentally I was in the UK for nearly two months. I am sorry but after this experience I have little faith in what I am told by anyone at Newcastle.

ps Sorry for the edits

khastan, you must be very unlucky. You are literally the only person I know who has spoken negatively about Newcastle.

I accept that dodgy information has been given out over the phone regarding life certificates but most people have told me how helpful Newcastle have been whenever they have had cause to call. So, yes, I see no problem getting an extension should you request one.

i am sorry but cant you read,khastan is not unlucky,what have i been posting the past week.?

its time you kept your opinions to YOURSELF.

last time i received this request i went to my local bank branch and they after much deliberation understood my needs

i would not hold out much hope for the local RTP simply because if its an out of the ordinary procedure and easier to say

no do or you could go to the embassy bkk but i can guess not very close /convenient besides that bank no charge embassy possible 2 grand plus

just for interest (mine mainly i guess) i have just returned from the main police station in Kalasin with a fully signed and stamped life certificate for the u.k. state pension took about an hour altogether good result so much for my theory about the R T P this time i apologize my how times move forward all we need now is for immigration to open an office here and were laughing

How can you be so sure that the extension that you have requested will be granted by the DWP at Newcastle even if you are told so, you have no proof of this, only their word and I doubt if they will put it in writing. My experience this year with Newcastle leaves a great deal to be desired. I had to return to the UK due to my fathers death and my mothers serious illness. I telephoned Newcastle and explained the circumstances and asked them to up rate my pension whilst I was in the UK.. They told me that's no problem and told me the new rate I would be getting each week. They then took all details where I was staying including telephone number and asked me if I knew when I would be returning to Thailand to which they were told I have no idea at present. I was told that's okay we will send out a form and the day before you go back to Thailand fill it in and send it back until then we will continue to pay your pension at the new rate. A few days later I received said form and filed it away. So what do think happened when I checked my bank account, my pension had been paid at the rate I get in Thailand. When I rung them up they told me they had paid my pension at that rate because the thought I had now returned to Thailand has I had not informed them when I was returning. They denied that they had sent out a form and even if they had it had been a mistake, even though I had it in my hand. To cut a very long story short it took a total of three phone calls and several weeks later to get my pension paid at the correct rate for the UK. Incidentally I was in the UK for nearly two months. I am sorry but after this experience I have little faith in what I am told by anyone at Newcastle.

ps Sorry for the edits

khastan, you must be very unlucky. You are literally the only person I know who has spoken negatively about Newcastle.

I accept that dodgy information has been given out over the phone regarding life certificates but most people have told me how helpful Newcastle have been whenever they have had cause to call. So, yes, I see no problem getting an extension should you request one.

i am sorry but cant you read,khastan is not unlucky,what have i been posting the past week.?

its time you kept your opinions to YOURSELF.

What an arrogant fool you are.

I will express my opinions where I choose. If you could read you would understand that my reference was to dealings with Newcastle where the satisfaction level is high - from a not insignificant sample.

Edited by Jip99

I've been reading through this thread and I have seen that some people have got their Thai bank manager to witness the signature. Someone added a link to the government website regarding life certificate: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

You are then referred to another link which shows who can sign a passport photo. They state that the criteria is the same as witnessing the life certificate. Here is the link: https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

I see two problems with using a Thai bank manager or any other type professional.

• be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

• live in the UK

If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. But your application will be processed more quickly if they have a British or Irish passport.

When they hold a US, Commonwealth or other EU (not British or Irish) passport, they must provide a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it. This must be included with the countersigned application.

Now, have I missed something or am I right in saying Thai officials cannot be a witness?

what you have posted is an utter load of BS.in case you dont live in thailand BS.is BULL S-IT.

nothing you posted is correct and is not in the accompanied letter of who can sign and witness the life certificate.

so all you goverment or embassy mouth pieces please refrain from posting utter rubbish.

Calm down. I'm following up on what others have said. Look through previous posts by other members and you will see the first link in my post. This page referred me to the second link. If you don't believe me then look for yourself before screaming BS. If it is BS, then it is BS quoted by HMG, not me. I haven't seen the letter accompanying the life certificate so I don't know what it says. Someone on this thread advised readers to check the government website which I did. There seemed to be an irregularity so I posted the above to try to get some clarification. The whole point of discussions like this is to get and give help.

• Like 1

• live in the UK

Calm down. I'm following up on what others have said. Look through previous posts by other members and you will see the first link in my post. This page referred me to the second link. If you don't believe me then look for yourself before screaming BS. If it is BS, then it is BS quoted by HMG, not me. I haven't seen the letter accompanying the life certificate so I don't know what it says. Someone on this thread advised readers to check the government website which I did. There seemed to be an irregularity so I posted the above to try to get some clarification. The whole point of discussions like this is to get and give help.

You are 100% correct.

The Old Git who is a highly respected poster in his own right (and former senior government official) confirmed the 2013 policy of allowing anyone who can countersign passport applications to sign Life Certificates.

I even sent that list to meatboy who seems to prefer crying BS rather than accept reality.

• live in the UK

You are 100% correct.

The Old Git who is a highly respected poster in his own right (and former senior government official) confirmed the 2013 policy of allowing anyone who can countersign passport applications to sign Life Certificates.

I even sent that list to meatboy who seems to prefer crying BS rather than accept reality.

I can understand why people might get a bit touchy. If my income were under threat of being cut off, I would be feeling a bit off myself. However, I would like a bit more civility.

Do you know if the information about counter signing passport applications is in addition to the information sent with the life certificate or does it conflict with it? I'm wondering if the recent criteria for counter signing life certificates supersedes what is on the government website. This is quite a bit of a grey area as some members have posted that they have called the UK government helpline and not been given a definitive answer over the phone.

You are 100% correct.

I can understand why people might get a bit touchy. If my income were under threat of being cut off, I would be feeling a bit off myself. However, I would like a bit more civility.

Do you know if the information about counter signing passport applications is in addition to the information sent with the life certificate or does it conflict with it? I'm wondering if the recent criteria for counter signing life certificates supersedes what is on the government website. This is quite a bit of a grey area as some members have posted that they have called the UK government helpline and not been given a definitive answer over the phone.

I have now signed, and posted 7 life certificates under the website guidelines.

I will be mightily miffed if any get rejected. They won't. There is no reason to and this is not a trap.

I have said before; if you were a pension fund trustee what would you rather have? a) a form witnessed by Somchai Smith, police cadet or Lek Somnat, unqualified bank clerk, or b ) a form witnessed by a British citizen (meeting countersignatory criteria for passports) who provides his Thai address, phone number, qualifications and UK passport number ?

Edited by Jip99

Wait until they find the guys who have a uk address but live in tHAILAND,and claim different things

Wait until they find they guys who have addresses in countries that give yearly pension increases

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH

Give it all back plus interest omfg hahahahahahha

In fairness Bernard, these letters are only going out to overseas pensioners and the letter starts "Because you live outside the UK......"

Just a follow up to my OP. Track and trace now place my life certificate at Wolverhampton it actually got there in 4 days(good service Thai Post).....but as others have suggested it seems that while it got there, it's immeadiate future is less certain and will probably involve another 12 hour flight back to me since on T/T it says "wrongly directed!"

Of course it is not wrongly directed since I sent it in the DWP envelope. The DWP instructions also say nothing about NOT using a service like EMS where a signature is required.

Needless to say I am somewhat peeved considering the cost of EMS International. Just trying to compose myself before I ring Newcastle.

Will update in due course if I haven't lost the will to live by then and no longer need a life certificate anywaywai2.gif

EMS tracking attached.

post-59731-0-06660300-1418633335_thumb.j

• Like 2

Just a follow up to my OP. Track and trace now place my life certificate at Wolverhampton it actually got there in 4 days(good service Thai Post).....but as others have suggested it seems that while it got there, it's immeadiate future is less certain and will probably involve another 12 hour flight back to me since on T/T it says "wrongly directed!"

Of course it is not wrongly directed since I sent it in the DWP envelope. The DWP instructions also say nothing about NOT using a service like EMS where a signature is required.

Needless to say I am somewhat peeved considering the cost of EMS International. Just trying to compose myself before I ring Newcastle.

Will update in due course if I haven't lost the will to live by then and no longer need a life certificate anywaywai2.gif

EMS tracking attached.

Thanks for the update.

In fairness the Pension Service advise using AIRMAIL to return the post in the 'what to do now' section of the form.

That is what I have done let's see how long it takes.

Again, bl00dy unlucky using EMS.

• Like 1

EMS tracking attached.

Well, I wish you luck in phoning Newcastle. I've been trying continually since they allegedly opened shop at 15:00 our time and the only number that I have - the one given on the Life Cert. letter - is permanently engaged!

Does anyone have an actual email address for the IPC that might work? There's the [email protected] address that appears on some gov.uk websites but whether or not it's relevant to the Life Cert. issue I have no idea.

I managed to get a local Pattaya law firm to witness my form - for 500 baht - so that wasn't too bad. My bank (TMB) just didn't want to know anything about it!

I now want some official reassurance that I can either fax or email the form back to Newcastle. There doesn't seem to be much point in using registered post or EMS to send it back to Wolverhampton and I'm certainly not willing to consign it to normal airmail - very good chance of it getting lost that way.

DM

• Like 1

• live in the UK

You are 100% correct.

why cant some people read what i am posting,ITS WHATS IN THE LETTER SENT TO US THAT I AMCRYING ABOUT.

• live in the UK

sorry but i dont mean to be rude but what it say's in the letter is completly different to their websight.

and for you jipp.you think being called a fraudster and a liar by the DWP.is acceptable.yet with all the proof i had it took 4yrs.to clear my name and the DWP to say we were WRONG.NOT SORRY.

Well here we go again! I received my Life Certificare from Pension Service this morning, in 2012 they sent me three as the first two never arrived! In May this year I contacted them to tell them I was in UK, they sent me form duly completed and returned when I left the country, in September they paid me the difference in pension, now three months later they want to know if I am still alive! The accompanying letter gives examples of the type of person that would be suitable to witness and include :

+ bank official or accountant

+ solicitor or any other person allowed to manage oaths

+ Doctor, Dentist, physiotherapist or pharmacist

+ government official or local mayor

+ the equivalent of a magistrate, Justice of the Peace or member of the local police

+ minister of religion

+ care home or nursing manager

So it's a trip to the dentist for me in the morning!

Well here we go again! I received my Life Certificare from Pension Service this morning, in 2012 they sent me three as the first two never arrived! In May this year I contacted them to tell them I was in UK, they sent me form duly completed and returned when I left the country, in September they paid me the difference in pension, now three months later they want to know if I am still alive! The accompanying letter gives examples of the type of person that would be suitable to witness and include :

+ bank official or accountant

+ solicitor or any other person allowed to manage oaths

+ Doctor, Dentist, physiotherapist or pharmacist

+ government official or local mayor

+ the equivalent of a magistrate, Justice of the Peace or member of the local police

+ minister of religion

+ care home or nursing manager

So it's a trip to the dentist for me in the morning!

thanks for printing the actual part of the letter.you saved me from doing it. oh the dentistw00t.gif

• live in the UK

sorry but i dont mean to be rude but what it say's in the letter is completly different to their websight.

and for you jipp.you think being called a fraudster and a liar by the DWP.is acceptable.yet with all the proof i had it took 4yrs.to clear my name and the DWP to say we were WRONG.NOT SORRY.

Also be careful about putting words in people's mouths. I certainly did not say it is acceptable to call anyone a fraudster and liar (unless, of course, they known to be fraudsters and liars). Capital letters carry no additional weight to your posts, they simply evidence a lack of netiquette.

Your point about what is in the DWP letter is well received and understood - everyone is getting the same letter. Please do not overlook the Oldd Git (and other posters) reference to current website guidelines on who can witness. It is surely not beyond the wit of man to merge the 2 pieces of information ? I accept that we are dealing with a government body but, without digging up individual historic grievances, I remain convinced that DWP are not trying to catch anybody out and will only stop pension payments - temporarily - if the life certificate is not received within 8 weeks.

I would like to hear from any member who has actually had a life certificate returned to them because the witness was not of "sufficient standing".

• Like 1

EMS tracking attached.

Well, I wish you luck in phoning Newcastle. I've been trying continually since they allegedly opened shop at 15:00 our time and the only number that I have - the one given on the Life Cert. letter - is permanently engaged!

Does anyone have an actual email address for the IPC that might work? There's the [email protected] address that appears on some gov.uk websites but whether or not it's relevant to the Life Cert. issue I have no idea.

I managed to get a local Pattaya law firm to witness my form - for 500 baht - so that wasn't too bad. My bank (TMB) just didn't want to know anything about it!

I now want some official reassurance that I can either fax or email the form back to Newcastle. There doesn't seem to be much point in using registered post or EMS to send it back to Wolverhampton and I'm certainly not willing to consign it to normal airmail - very good chance of it getting lost that way.

DM

I phoned Newcastle via Skype no waiting. Very pleasant conversation. Advised to wait a couple of days as my EMS should be forwarded to DWP. Call centre guy informed me that many complaints about Wolverhampton.

Also told me current spate of life certificates is a government push nothing to do with DWP. He mentioned 25,000 but I assume that's worldwide not LOS. Finally said if for some reason I get certificate returned I should phone and they will extend for 2 months!

Very helpful call but he could not explain why Wolverhampton won't accept some form of registration which is vital in my opinion for those of us living here and other less developed countries.

• Like 1

EMS tracking attached.

DM

I phoned Newcastle via Skype no waiting. Very pleasant conversation. Advised to wait a couple of days as my EMS should be forwarded to DWP. Call centre guy informed me that many complaints about Wolverhampton.

Also told me current spate of life certificates is a government push nothing to do with DWP. He mentioned 25,000 but I assume that's worldwide not LOS. Finally said if for some reason I get certificate returned I should phone and they will extend for 2 months!

Very helpful call but he could not explain why Wolverhampton won't accept some form of registration which is vital in my opinion for those of us living here and other less developed countries.

well done don.for taking the time to try and get some truthful answers,in fact nearly all of us deserve a pat on the back.

well here's the answer,the pension service head paper,the dwp.telling us what we must do,and if we dont what they will do.but wait a minute the DWP has said its the goverment and not the DWP.WHO ARE PUSHING THIS.

looks like they [dwp] has made a pigs ear of this and are up to their knecks in BS.so before they get covered they are passing the buck.so are the certificates that we all sent by registered post,they have told don.they will be forwarded to newcastle.so thanks once again to don and a merry xmas and a HAPPY new yr.to all at the PENSION CENTER.

That said, this is not something to get your knickers in a twist, it is nothing like the UK passport renewal debacle and certainly not worth wasting time informing the press. Claiming that an 8 week deadline would be missed is admitting personal incompetence rather than a genuine criticism of DWP. Even if the wonderful Thai postal service took 7 weeks to deliver the post, you still have the ability to phone DWP and request an extension.

Thailand Post actually get your mail off to the UK pretty quickly in my experience. For example, my claim was sent on its merry way from Suvarnabhumi Airport the day after I'd handed it in to my local post office. But it then took those incompetent cretins in Royal Mail (over whom Thailand Post, alas, have no control) a further 5 days to confirm that it has been safely received at the UK end! Of course, Royal Mail cannot be held responsible for those equally incompetent cretins at DWP's Wolverhampton address refusing to sign for delivery.

This whole business is on a par with the passport renewal fiasco IMHO. I don't question the justification of the need for the State Pension to be claimed for, life certificates to be sought every now and then (but why only in the run-up to Christmas?) or for passports to be renewed every 10 years. However, what I do seriously question and get worked up about are all the various bureaucratic hoops which our "beloved" government expects us expats to go through in order for these ends to be achieved - which appear to be getting more and more onerous by the day.

And contacting the DWP in Newcastle by phone can, in practice, prove easier said than done - as others on this thread have already pointed out. Admittedly I did manage to speak to a customer services adviser straight away last Friday evening without being "serenaded" with the entire suite of Beethoven symphonies first. But the line quality was so poor (consistent with my experience generally of making calls back to the UK from here) that I had to ask him repeatedly to tell me again what he had just said - thus adding unnecessarily to the length and cost of my phone call.

• Like 1

Reassuring news in the context of my recently-submitted claim as described in the separate thread I originated. But it totally contradicts what the guy in Newcastle told me last Friday! As with Immigration here, it seems, what Newcastle tell you depends on who you speak to!!

Went and saw my dentist this morning, she happily signed my proof of life letter, entered her profession (Dr) stamped with surgery stamp, came home scanned completed form then went to post office and sent it registered post airmail. Now sit back and wait to see what will be next, form was posted to me on 21st November, received yesterday so with the Christmas rush followed by holidays who knows when it will be received in Newcastle (via Wolverhampton!)

• Like 1

I just got one. I know a few farangs that could sign it but the form requires to be rubber stamped...Can't do that.......sad.png

My neighbor a retired pilot countersigned my passport photo when I renewed it last year, no problem and is quite happy to sign this form but has no rubber stamp. Does anybody know for definite if this life certificate will be accepted by the DWP without one.

I just got one. I know a few farangs that could sign it but the form requires to be rubber stamped...Can't do that.......sad.png

Plus, I only claimed my pension a couple of months ago.....whistling.gif

If guys living here are not really here, fink trouble ahead for you guys IF the same form is sent to your UK address and needs a professional witness to your signature. Nooooooooooobody will put their neck in a noose for you. whistling.gif

My neighbor a retired pilot countersigned my passport photo when I renewed it last year, no problem and is quite happy to sign this form but has no rubber stamp. Does anybody know for definite if this life certificate will be accepted by the DWP without one.

I've just received an email from the Newcastle Pension Centre confirming that a retired Civil Servant is an acceptable signatory, which is good because that's the route I went down.

My former colleague didn't have a rubber stamp, and I doubt that any retired Civil Servants do.

There are loads of retired Civil Servants living throughout Thailand, I suspect most of us know at least one.

I've just received an email from the Newcastle Pension Centre confirming that a retired Civil Servant is an acceptable signatory, which is good because that's the route I went down.

My former colleague didn't have a rubber stamp, and I doubt that any retired Civil Servants do.

There are loads of retired Civil Servants living throughout Thailand, I suspect most of us know at least one.

ME, I was a servant and very civil.......................biggrin.png

Can you please post or pm me the email address you used for the Newcastle Pension Center, thank you.

• Like 1