South Korean businesspeople want to invest in Thailand

webfact

South Korean businesspeople want to invest in Thailand
By Digital Content

14182758413197-640x390x1.jpg

BUSAN, Dec 11 -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told leading Korean business leaders here that there are many investment opportunities in Thailand.

He invited them to Thailand's border economic zones and the Dawei special economic zone project in Myanmar. The South Korean private sector has become more interested in expanding investment in Thailand, he said.

This is the second day of the ASEAN-South Korea Commemorative Summit 2014 marking the 25th anniversary of the relationship.

The summit opened in Busan yesterday and ends tomorrow.

Gen Prayut had a working breakfast with key Korean businessmen this morning.

His breakfast companions included representatives of the Korean Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA), K-water Co, Lotte Hotel & Resort Co that also operates duty-free shops, Hana Tour Service (Korea's top ranked tour company), LG Electronics Co, the transport and railway state enterprise KORAIL, Samsung Co, Hyundai Motor Co and POSCO, the world's third largest steel producer.

Thai government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said the prime minister invited South Korean investors to expand their businesses in Thailand where there are plenty of investment opportunities.

The prime minister told the gathered business community that Thailand is an important automotive production base for ASEAN and could serve South Korean automotive production as well as as Thailand is ready in terms of its infrastructure, markets and the popularity of Korea as a brand.

The prime minister proposed that South Korean technology could increase the value of Thai farm and food products and that South Korea should import more Thai agricultural products such as chicken, fruit, rice and natural rubber.

Gen Prayut invited South Korea to help develop five border economic areas in 18 provinces adjacent to Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia.

Gen Prayut also said that Thailand would build double railway tracks, standard-gauge tracks and high-speed railways and both countries should discuss collaboration in such projects. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-12-11

That's actually interesting news. South Korean companies have proven their capability in places like VN, where their buildings and businesses sprout up all over the place. I wonder if Korean management could handle Thais, though. Koreans are strict and not above giving an ass kicking to subordinates. Would Somchai take it on the chin, or call 10 of his buddies to retaliate? Methinks the latter. Koreans have a different work ethic, too. They actually get work done at the expense of relationships, whereas Thais mix a lot of play into their work.

If the Koreans do start coming in droves, it might drive down the cost of kimchi here. I can't believe what I pay for a small bag of it. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I'm still trying to see the link between the headline which tells us Korean business people want to invest in Thailand and the fearless leader apparently telling them there are plenty of investment opportunities in Thailand? Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fantastic if they invest in Thailand and even better if they can show their Thai employees what a proper work ethic is, it might catch on.. (yeah right, I hear people say in tandem with me)

• Like 2

Article says nothing about S Koreans "wanting to invest in Thailand" which is declared in the headline. It only outlines the potential opportunities the PM "invited" Korea to invest in.

I see the Thai media, I mean propaganda machine, is at it again.

Surprised the tourism minister didn't tag along to try and convince Korean celebs to submit selfies in a bid to win a trip to a buffalo manure farm in Isaan.