Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look the positive side of this: Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam,Malaysia,Philippines and Indonesia are laughing like crazy and they expect a boom in tourists who flee away desperate and terrorized from Thailand. Thais are really generous: they are helping their poor neighbours to prosper and get more revenues. I am one of those who is going away, I just need to sell a piece of property and That's it and goodbye Thailand. In 18 years of coming to Thailand, I might have spent a couple of millions of USD, well, nothing really remarkable,but I am one of the many who is giving up. This is what we get in return for being good tourists, respectable, speaking the language, showing respect for Thai culture, etc... yeah, enough is enough....

Edited by max72

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

Tourists do not generally speak Thai, and they are the ones supposedly being targeted in greater numbers than ever. May I remind you that a senior police officer has stated that you have the right to refuse.
I remember reading that about your right to refuse. I also remember reading that refusal could cost a foreigner up to 50k.

I do not live there in Bkk but it seems to me that what needs to happen is for someone to find an advantageous place and start takin photos or video. Carefully of course as this article shows the police are protective to prevent evidence of their crimes being viewed publicly. Otherwise all the reports are just hearsay and innuendo.

Something should be done though.

Perhaps this is Thonglors way of finding their quality tourists and getting rid of the others. Or perhaps the mThonglor police are making a statement because the Army went and closed down their happy ending massage businesses a few weeks ago.

Is it tourists, or is it those who live here also? I've never experienced an incident because I speak Thai.

If you live here, learn the lingo. If you don't.... not much will change in ATTACKING tourists, I'm afraid.

Tourists do not generally speak Thai, and they are the ones supposedly being targeted in greater numbers than ever. May I remind you that a senior police officer has stated that you have the right to refuse.

Did he also state you have the right to refuse being planted?

Did Barrows post the photos?

What is the secret facebook page? why say secret facebook page at all? if you want to get the news out there make it public

Then perhaps something can be done about it

Talk is useless ... get facts with videos and photos to prove it

If this gets played internationally will be one of a hundred nails in the Thai tourism coffin

The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor but I'd bet the farm that the cop just pockets that.

I've never had a problem in Suki with cops but there does seem to be a sharp increase in the number of these stories recently.

I got done for dropping my cigarette butt near Emporium about 6 months ago. I negotiated the fine down to 600 baht.

It never ceases to amaze me whenever this subject is being discussed how many people really HAVE dropped cigarette butts. Not only does this completely detract from the subject under discussion because the Police in these cases are simply enforcing the rules rather than harassing people for no reason but it really makes the poster seem like a bit of a prat.

We are discussing the serious subject of Police harassment and extortion here, not law enforcement.

Umm..the police AREN'T enforcing the rules there though are they? Instead of issuing the correct fine they are taken all profit into their pocket.

Of course its going into their pocket. But people who actually are committing an offence are being pretty stupid to leave themselves open to this. Focussing on the cases where the victim has done absolutely nothing wrong is the subject here.

Did Barrows post the photos?

What is the secret facebook page? why say secret facebook page at all? if you want to get the news out there make it public

Then perhaps something can be done about it

Talk is useless ... get facts with videos and photos to prove it

If this gets played internationally will be one of a hundred nails in the Thai tourism coffin

Exactly.

My wife just asked me where is the evidence. Without this nothing can happen.

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

This, along with Hitler, along with murders just keeps on coming.

And for some reason little to no damage control at all.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Generally speaking, the Thais really don't care what foreigners think.

Congratulations "Mr Johnson"

Your post is the most applicable here amongst the 70+ replies as being the post at the end of the day, which really sums the whole topic up..........Guys, NOTHING will change now or in the future. I quite like this forum, love Thailand, love my Thai family, have been here a long time, but have a long time back understood......This is Thailand......It is for the Thai's and all others setting foot on this land are here for one purpose and one purpose only!

That is to bring in your money and use as much of it as you can for the benefit of Thailand and their people.....

They care about nothing else. Learn this and learn it well and you will not be frustrated here.

How long you have been here is irrelevant, how much you love Thailand has got nothing to do with it, I've been here since the 80's but that has no bearing on this issue. People accept that the Thais are only interesting in taking money from you but even in Pat Pong you get something back. people are right to feel frustrated and concerned that the law enforcement officers can stop travellers in a taxi and take money from them or demand a urine test is beyond acceptable, it's theft, harassment and criminal. These recent events are a dramatic upswing in the usual " get money off the faring" tactics which you don't seem to have grasped. The fact that you consider this acceptable because , as you want us all to know, you've been here a long time makes this even more sadder, I pity you but will still urge you to consider how awful it is to see pensioners or teenagers on a dream trip to Asia being robbed by those that are here to protect them. Shame on them and shame on anybody that accepts that.

Good on you Patrick.

It amazes me that anyone can condone such behaviour with such tongue in cheek verbiage. Thus, as if we should stand back and accept being embarrassed, threatened and robbed. I don’t ever recall going anywhere else on holiday around the Globe where this conduct is practised and thrashed out on a daily basis. Shame on you Thailand……

I have told several people who were planning on a vacation to Thailand to avoid this place. The shakedowns and nonsense that is allowed to flourish now will kill the tourist trade and soon the military government will be crying the blues about the drop in tourism revenue. Those who come I recommend they refuse urine tests on the street and tell the police they will pay for a urine test at a hospital where there is less chance they will be set up. Same thing with a body search- refuse to cooperate and demand that it be done at the police station with a senior official present to ensure there is no set up.

The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor but I'd bet the farm that the cop just pockets that.

I've never had a problem in Suki with cops but there does seem to be a sharp increase in the number of these stories recently.

I got done for dropping my cigarette butt near Emporium about 6 months ago. I negotiated the fine down to 600 baht.

I understand it is not the police who fine you for dropping cigs, it is other officials of some sort in a uniform which is a bit different from the police one.

Littering has always brought fines if the police saw it. This is nothing new.

I have had no such experiences yet and I am in these areas often.

I did get asked where I live when I went through passport control at the airport today leaving the country, which has never happened before.

There is no doubt that things have been tightened up. Hey, the military runs the country. Is anyone surprised?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I remember reading that about your right to refuse. I also remember reading that refusal could cost a foreigner up to 50k.
I do not live there in Bkk but it seems to me that what needs to happen is for someone to find an advantageous place and start takin photos or video. Carefully of course as this article shows the police are protective to prevent evidence of their crimes being viewed publicly. Otherwise all the reports are just hearsay and innuendo.
Something should be done though.
Perhaps this is Thonglors way of finding their quality tourists and getting rid of the others. Or perhaps the mThonglor police are making a statement because the Army went and closed down their happy ending massage businesses a few weeks ago.

'something should be done....'

Well how true.

What amazes me is that the head of the Thonglor police station (a very big police station) is so quiet. He must be aware of the comments (I can't believe the police intelligence network has not noticed all the recent comment and has not passed the info. to various police hierarchy.

I say again, why is the Thonglor police chief not commenting?

Also, why is the TAT chief not commenting?

I understand it is not the police who fine you for dropping cigs, it is other officials of some sort in a uniform which is a bit different from the police one.

Maybe. Can't remember if he had a gun. He took me to a box and we both sat in there. Very close to the emporium. I was in a hurry to catch my plane. Last thing i needed was to go to the Station.

does that mean thai speaking non thais will not be stopped by police?

Depends upon your line of work, doesn't it?

Well, either the TAT start pushing the government to put a stop to this nonsense, or they drop the ridiculous notion that tourism is recovering. Thailand needs the tourists a great deal more than the tourists need Thailand and there are too many other Asian countries in need of tourist income.

Noticeably, the embassies seem to be keeping very quiet about it all.

does that mean thai speaking non thais will not be stopped by police?

Depends upon your line of work, doesn't it?

The plot thickens Coon Thai speaker ...... so what defines you from the rest of us besides being fluent in Thai may I ask ......... ????

Thailand does not seem to be able to stay out of world news and NOT in a good light.

This, along with Hitler, along with murders just keeps on coming.

And for some reason little to no damage control at all.

You would think there would be an official statement from authorities to investigate the reports or issue a directive to stop.facepalm.gif

Generally speaking, the Thais really don't care what foreigners think.

Congratulations "Mr Johnson"

Your post is the most applicable here amongst the 70+ replies as being the post at the end of the day, which really sums the whole topic up..........Guys, NOTHING will change now or in the future. I quite like this forum, love Thailand, love my Thai family, have been here a long time, but have a long time back understood......This is Thailand......It is for the Thai's and all others setting foot on this land are here for one purpose and one purpose only!

That is to bring in your money and use as much of it as you can for the benefit of Thailand and their people.....

They care about nothing else. Learn this and learn it well and you will not be frustrated here.

How long you have been here is irrelevant, how much you love Thailand has got nothing to do with it, I've been here since the 80's but that has no bearing on this issue. People accept that the Thais are only interesting in taking money from you but even in Pat Pong you get something back. people are right to feel frustrated and concerned that the law enforcement officers can stop travellers in a taxi and take money from them or demand a urine test is beyond acceptable, it's theft, harassment and criminal. These recent events are a dramatic upswing in the usual " get money off the faring" tactics which you don't seem to have grasped. The fact that you consider this acceptable because , as you want us all to know, you've been here a long time makes this even more sadder, I pity you but will still urge you to consider how awful it is to see pensioners or teenagers on a dream trip to Asia being robbed by those that are here to protect them. Shame on them and shame on anybody that accepts that.

Dear Sir,

My love of Thailand, and it's people is indeed relevant. It's helped me understand just what to expect in any day to day issue which becomes apparent.

You may have been here since the 80's...... I, since the 70's........ 1970 infact.

Did I say I live here? No, but I'm here often enough to know how it works here!

Let us see if the dramatic upswing you speak of dwindles. In actual fact it's not so dramatic, but does happen at such irregular intervals it's impossible to predict.

I'm not in anyway saying it's acceptable, but from time to time it will happen and will not change.

Oh, and just by the way, you mentioned about pensioners or teenagers on a dream trip. I am the pensioner you speak of and have been for ten years, just as I have been here regularly over recent years.

PM me when you see the changes you dream of start to occur and we will continue this little chat.

Dear Sir,

My love of Thailand, and it's people is indeed relevant. It's helped me understand just what to expect in any day to day issue which becomes apparent.

You may have been here since the 80's...... I, since the 70's........ 1970 infact.

Let us see if the dramatic upswing you speak of dwindles. In actual fact it's not so dramatic, but does happen at such irregular intervals it's impossible to predict.

I'm not in anyway saying it's acceptable, but from time to time it will happen and will not change.

Oh, and just by the way, you mentioned about pensioners or teenagers on a dream trip. I am the pensioner you speak of and have been for ten years, just as I have been here regularly over recent years.

PM me when you see the changes you dream of start to occur and we will continue this little chat.

Just because you've been here or coming here for decades, does that therefore set the precedent with your views as to set an example that is used to justify similar occurrences at a later time or era for all and sundry to take on as Gospel. Thus, how we should all take this onboard as everyday behaviour. Get a grip. I suggest you get out a bit more often my friend and breath in some fresh air to help circulate a bit more oxygen to invigorate the brain cells. Personally, think they've become somewhat clogged......... coffee1.gif

Edited by ScotBkk

I have a feeling the BiB are not happy with the Junta breaking the rules by actually going after dirty cops.

This smacks of a typical nasty red-shirt way of getting revenge. All those men in green with guns mean the usual ways are not viable right now ...

"This smacks of a typical nasty red-shirt way of getting revenge...."

you cant be serious mate?

cops don't make much money. if u are foreigner u have money. they are looking for weed or anything else to bust you for. this is the way here . get used to it. ive been searched on ko sarn road 10 times, them looking for weed. I don't even drink.

You were not drinking ! Heheee thats why they were looking to you for weed

was recently in Bangkok to do some work courses , medical etc and noticed a massive difference in the place since i was last up 6 months ago.. Have never seen so many police out on foot up and down the Asok, Sukhumvit area.. I was at Asok station, walked along the sky walk towards Exchange tower and across the road i saw 2 quite fit farang girls (aged around middle 20´s) taking some "selfies" photos of each other, when they went to walk up the stairs to the sky walk, 4 cops followed them up the stairs, surrounded them, while doing a search of their bags, while one stodd there with a bit of paper explaining something... No idea what they were stopped for, didnt realise taking photos was an offence??? But i also tried to film them , and when one of the cops saw me with my mobile in my hand he pointed at me , so i walked away...This was also the first time i´ve had someone try rob me on the street, since they started closing evry bar by 2 , noticed more and more hookers / ladyboys on the street, There was a mass of police in the nana plaza area, but further down the road loads of girls, and 2 ladyboys tried to take my wallet from my back pocket...and i thought that was a pattaya thing wink.png

So, where are the numbers, the stats, .. anything about a targeted profile type? .. age group?

People wearing beach gear in the streets? ... Smarter respectfully dressed people?

I have certainly seen loads of slobs and thugs queuing for entry at many places. Maybe someone has just spat the dummy, and going after all younger tourists, happy to throw out the babies with the bath water.

What constitutes a slob and a thug in your esteemed eyes?

Dear Sir,

Just because you've been here or coming here for decades, does that therefore set the precedent with your views as to set an example that is used to justify similar occurrences at a later time or era for all and sundry to take on as Gospel. Thus, how we should all take this onboard as everyday behaviour. Get a grip. I suggest you get out a bit more often my friend and breath in some fresh air to help circulate a bit more oxygen to invigorate the brain cells. Personally, think they've become somewhat clogged......... coffee1.gif

All I can do "ScotBkk" is offer you the same invitation as I did previously to the other Poster. Please PM me when you see the changes you dream of commence. Then we can celebrate together, yes a threesome celebration of Thailand changing, just the way Farangs have demanded on Thaivisa.

With due respect and to keep the Forum nice.......Live it here either long term or just a tourist, IT AINT GOING TO CHANGE!

Let me make it abundantly clear. I am not saying it is right, proper, correct or even decent. But it is Thailand!

Edited by fishhooks

Its just TATs latest campaign how to chase the last straggler tourists away to Vietnam soon we will have a foreigner free country with no trillions of Bahts being spent by these alien intruders they can just spend their trillions of Dongs in a country that wants and welcomes tourists and visitors.