Phuket jet-skis warned, stay off the sand

Lite Beer

Phuket jet-skis warned, stay off the sand

Saran Mitrarat

1418293763_1-org.jpg

Driving along the beach pulling trailers is now banned.

PHUKET: Governor Nisit Jansomwong has vowed to revoke the operating license of any jet-ski owner whose machine is found sitting on the sand on any beach in Phuket, along with the boat operator licenses of any staff.

This morning (December 11) he said, “Following the announcement signed by me about jet-ski zoning in Patong, which provides separate areas for swim and water sports activities there have so far been no reports of accidents, the Governor noted.

Phuket Marine Office chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut added, “We have already set up zoning for jet-ski [and speedboat for sport activities] at Patong Beach and are in the process of doing the same at Kata, Karon and Naka Island. Other beaches will follow.

“Jet-skis and boats for sport activities are not allow to move from one beach to another,” he added.

Governor Nisit warned further, “Operators of jet-skis or boats may not use vehicles to tow them along the beach. Anyone breaking this regulation may have their license revoked, by Marine Department officers or the police.”

He did however, say that tourists do not need licenses to ride jet-skis which, technically, is required by law.

“A driving license [for a jet ski] is not necessary for tourists because they just come to Phuket for a week or so, and ride jet-skis maybe only two or three days,” he confirmed.

Gov Nisit also made public a list of 13 rules governing jet-skis and sports boats. These are:

All boats must have license and still valid.

First class insurance must be bought.

Rental contracts must be in four languages; Thai, English, Russian and Chinese.

Price must be shown and must be the same for all.

Tourists must be trained before being allowed to ride a jet-ski.

Life jackets must be worn at all times.

The power of jet-ski engines must not exceed 130hp.

All jet-skis and boats must have a Marine Office sticker at the bow and trailers may be parked only in designated areas.

Jet-skis and boats may not be refuelled in the water or on the beach.

Boat owners or staff look after boats or machines must have the appropriate licenses and certificates.

Tourists must not ride jet ski or boats outside the designated area of sea.

Boat crews must not drink alcohol or take drugs while controlling machine.

When any accident happens, the designated officer for the area must be informed.

Mr Phuripat explained later that this last rule was aimed at preventing “private negotiations” over minor damage to jet-skis.

Patong and Pattaya are notorious for scamming by jet-ski operators or staff who extort large amounts of money from tourists for scratching their machines – scratches that already existed from previously.

It is difficult to see just how this rule will be enforced, since it is not in the interests of dishonest jet-ski operators to report scratches or to introduce a “referee” into the negotiations.

Gov Nisit said he welcomed any suggestions for improvements to the 13 rules.

“If anyone has any suggestions on ways we can be more strict, or how we can fix any of the rules, these would be very welcome – this will improve marine regulations, especially for jet-skis on Phuket’s beaches.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-jet-skis-warned-stay-off-the-sand-50065.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-11

• Like 1

so, I only drive my car one or two days a week, I do not need a license?

I only shoot my 9mm pistol 2 or 3 times a month, I do not need a license?

What other things do I not need a license for?

This is a joke, surely........

• Like 1

“If anyone has any suggestions on ways we can be more strict, or how we can fix any of the rules, these would be very welcome – this will improve marine regulations, especially for jet-skis on Phuket’s beaches.”

Rule 1. Ban all jet skies.

Rule 2. See rule 1.

Good point, but if this list of 13 rules were actually enforced it would surely have the same result. I find it hard to believe that currently even one of the infernal things meets all the requirements.

Governor Nisit:

"A driving license [for a jet ski] is not necessary for tourists because they just come to Phuket for a week or so, and ride jet-skis maybe only two or three days," he confirmed.

Unbelievable.

un qualified/unexperienced idiot on powerful machines. So will this extend to those who don't have a motorcycle licence hiring a powerful machine and tearing up the streets? The may only hire them for 3 or 4 days also.

• Like 2

<removed> nonsense. In addition to the above comments, the Jetskis are parked on the sand and driven on/off the sand every day in full view. Who will enforce - Phuriprat??? Bwahahhaaahhhahhaahjha. etc

Lol. Puriphat can't cut off his retirement income, thus jet skis will be allowed to thrive, deaths or not. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, 1000 baht/day per ski is good retirement income.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I could pick out many stupid statements in this report.

But this one takes the cake ...

"First class insurance must be bought."

So who buys this first class insurance ? All the jet skis I have seen have signs "no insurance". So is the rider obliged buy insurance before renting ?

Total nonsense as is much of this news report. If tourists are stupid enough to rent jet skis, then up to them.

Agree totally, very badly written.

What it should say is that all operators need first class insurance to cover all users before being allowed to operate.

This would dispense with 'private negotiations' and make the sport a much more pleasurable one......................wink.png

Much less profitable for the operators as well.

I could pick out many stupid statements in this report.

But this one takes the cake ...

"First class insurance must be bought."

So who buys this first class insurance ? All the jet skis I have seen have signs "no insurance". So is the rider obliged buy insurance before renting ?

Total nonsense as is much of this news report. If tourists are stupid enough to rent jet skis, then up to them.

How about "Boat crews must not drink alcohol or take drugs while controlling machine." But ok if they drink and do drugs whilst laying around on the beach then.

Rule 2. See rule 1.

My first read of the topic I thought it said ISLAND not SAND. I thought what a good idea!

• Like 1

The insurance is very important. It should be paid in cash for a minimum of 12 months and the certificate must be recorded in a database. With this information you will know when the policy expires and can do a follow up to collect new policy information the day after the expiry date. Forbid jetski operators from collecting any money for damage from tourists. Maybe that is just too simple.

• Like 1

Another farce that's purely designed to ensure that tourists remain targets for the scams so that those in position of authority can earn a lot of money.

The issues of the jet skis are never going to be resolved by the Thai authorities because they like it just the way it is ... it is after all extremely profitable. The only way the jet skis, their operators and protectors will ever be removed from the beach is if the tourist starved them out by simply NOT using them.

Yes, once again those in authority have clearly stated it's OK to break the law providing there's money in it.

There's no hope for this country ... none at all.

• Like 2

The insurance is very important. It should be paid in cash for a minimum of 12 months and the certificate must be recorded in a database. With this information you will know when the policy expires and can do a follow up to collect new policy information the day after the expiry date. Forbid jetski operators from collecting any money for damage from tourists. Maybe that is just too simple.

You would have to employ a foreigner to verify if the insurance rules are being followed.

A Thai will take a backhander to allow the scams.

Anyone thick enough to be conned by these low-lifes deserves to be parted with their money. It is probably the most talked about rip-off happening in Thailand and still these fools line up to rent the stupid things.

• Like 1

Rule 2. See rule 1.

laugh.png

Rule 2. See rule 1.

It's so easy to take and print photos that these could be attached to the contract. Of course none of this really

matters when the tourist has a gun pocked up his nose