Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now showing a very unhealthy 149 for chiang mai, 24 hour average.

But checking wikipedia (which may be wrong) the USA permitted daily level is 150!! Not sure who 'permits' it, or what happens if that level is exceeded, but it reminded me that years ago, Los Angeles, between about 10am and 2pm looked pretty much like CM does today, every day.

Different causes and maybe LA is cleaner now, but very surprised the permitted level is so high. Driven by big business politics maybe??

But checking wikipedia (which may be wrong) the USA permitted daily level is 150!! N

No, the allowable is 150 maximum for average in one 24 hour period in a year (365 days). In other words, only 1 day out of 365 is the maximum of 150 allowed. EPA.gov

Have reached a new "HIGH"!! PM10 level at Yupparaj Wittayalai School is 378 as of 7:00am. USA EPA AQI 235 (VERY UNHEALTHY)! Well on the way to reaching HAZARDOUS!! sad.png

The levels have now topped 400 micrograms of PM10 per cubic meter at City Hall in Chiang Mai. What does it take to declare Northern Thailand a disaster area? The least the government could do is declare a "crackdown" on people setting fire to the forests.

One hour ago: pm 2.5:30,000+ outside the bedroom, same as outside the house.

Inside bedroom, with air purifier at max, and ac running too: 3,000.

Don't suppose we could stay with you guys for a couple weeks? biggrin.png

Seriously though, I'm getting rather worried, as the windows in my apartment don't shut that firmly and my AC (which I never use) is old. Does anyone think it would work, if I could fit it with filters, to purify the air in my place somewhat?

post-187369-0-76530500-1425957813_thumb.

Seriously though, I'm getting rather worried, as the windows in my apartment don't shut that firmly and my AC (which I never use) is old. Does anyone think it would work, if I could fit it with filters, to purify the air in my place somewhat?

As long as your AC can move air, the 3M Filtrete material will definitely help.

Have reached a new "HIGH"!! PM10 level at Yupparaj Wittayalai School is 378 as of 7:00am. USA EPA AQI 235 (VERY UNHEALTHY)! Well on the way to reaching HAZARDOUS!! sad.png

The levels have now topped 400 micrograms of PM10 per cubic meter at City Hall in Chiang Mai. What does it take to declare Northern Thailand a disaster area? The least the government could do is declare a "crackdown" on people setting fire to the forests.

Just wondering if you could tell me where you are getting these PM10 numbers?

Now: close to 4,000 in bedroom, almost 40,000 outside bedroom, above 40,000 outside house.

In my amateur analysis last year I tested with an old AC and a poorly constructrd house with windows that do not shut tight (same house we still rent). Running the ac with standard filters helps a fair amount. 3M filtrete helps a little more.

Just wondering if you could tell me where you are getting these PM10 numbers?

http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php?lang=en 35T is the city hall point. These are the real time hourly numbers. I notice that the Thai radio stations are reporting the average, not the peaks.

Now: close to 4,000 in bedroom, almost 40,000 outside bedroom, above 40,000 outside house.

In my amateur analysis last year I tested with an old AC and a poorly constructrd house with windows that do not shut tight (same house we still rent). Running the ac with standard filters helps a fair amount. 3M filtrete helps a little more.

Thanks a lot for the reply! That was reassuring... I will try to get those filters, just too bad I have to go outside to do that blink.png.

Thanks again for sharing your info & stats!

400 ug/m3 PM10 1hr is pretty high.

Singapore PSI 401 worst case in SG was reached on June 21 in 2013. It was a 3hr rolling average PM10 dominant pollutant, meaning it was 500 ug/m3 PM10 3hr rolling avg.

So i can feel for you guys.

So i dont think thailand has any PM2.5 figures? From what i see on the hotspot map, the whole region is burning up.

PM10 does not travel v far before 'decaying' while PM2.5 can travel even 2000km no problems at all (kalimantan to Singapore).

I would expect the PM2.5 figures to fare worse. So if PM10 1hr is already in the Very Unhealthy zone, PM2.5 could be in the Hazardous zone.

Someone has the Dylos laser particle counter, unfortunately that does not convert/estimate mass ug/m3 figures.

The links below would give you a very good idea how long the haze is gonna last. Currently Thailand and surrounding countries are just absolutely dry.

Below picture denoting the hotspots is for 5th March 2015. I screen captured it.

Source is from ASMC. (cloud cover today blocked many parts of Thailand etc)

http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/web/ASMC

Another source of information is from the ASEAN FDRS or Fire Danger Rating Ssystem. It gives you the moisture content of grasslands, peatlands etc based on meteorological data.

http://haze.asean.org/

159348232.jpbyZ8Dp.6Mar.jpg

Thanks a lot for the reply! That was reassuring... I will try to get those filters, just too bad I have to go outside to do that blink.png.

Thanks again for sharing your info & stats!

The 3M Filtrete electrostatic filter does work decently and may be the fastest and cheapest practical option for those who can still get it.

During the 2013 haze in Singapore, someone experimented with it and got the below measurements. It is not going to beat an air purifier, but still it works and anything is better than nothing. smile.png

The filter just turned grey in just a few hours, less than half a day. Now, a HEPA filter is going to capture even more stuff. Granted, the particulate levels were high then in Singapore.

One thing to note is that you can use it at the intake side of a fan as well. If one is to use it at the aircon fan coil unit, make sure that it's not impeding the airflow too much (some aircon FCUs are choked full of dust due to months of neglect). Else your metal coil would freeze and that is gonna cost $$$. tongue.png

Air+Quality+in+my+Dining+Room+++www.hard

dd177e8b-9143-4fd7-837c-aea0abe46ff4.jpg

5bdee018-9cd7-4620-8045-bff5fdee3f5b.jpg

The links below would give you a very good idea how long the haze is gonna last. Currently Thailand and surrounding countries are just absolutely dry.

Interesting. So, how long is the haze gonna last?

Interesting. So, how long is the haze gonna last?

Pls go to that asean.haze.org website and click on the FFMC picture as well as the FWI. Your whole region is red.

When it turns blue or even green, that means the haze is going to subside. Rainfall is needed.

Indonesians have done crazy amounts of water bombings and rain seeding. V limited success. Last year, South Sumatra turned to prayers. Its mother nature, practically impossible to control and put out in Indonesia as those involve underground peatland haze as well. (Not only surface fires).

They need at least 7 consecutive days of heavy rains to flood the peatlands. Anything less than that, the fires just automatically fires up again.

Do the authorities and their advisors know about alternative and more sustainable methods of farming like the one described in Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inga_alley_cropping

Any other?

Maybe we need to check this out? Anyone knows anything about the agricultural aspect of this, apart from the slash-and-burn method that is currently being used? I've read they use for musroom farming. I suspect it is for the farming of all kinds of products. Right?

http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php

Check station 36t. Pm2.5

PM2.5 368ug/m3 10 march 0700h. This should be highest pm2.5 recorded so far.

AQI of 413.

In Malaysia, they close schools when the AQI hits just 200.

This probably a 1h reading. Still, its a very high pm2.5 reading. Those who are pregnant, infants/toddlers, with heart and stroke risks, lung issues, pls take care and reduce exposure. It can easily turn deadly for the really susceptible few.

Eg infants and newborns easily respires 2X or more than adults wrt per kg weight.

http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php

Check station 36t. Pm2.5

PM2.5 368ug/m3 10 march 0700h. This should be highest pm2.5 recorded so far.

AQI of 413.

In Malaysia, they close schools when the AQI hits just 200.

This probably a 1h reading. Still, its a very high pm2.5 reading. Those who are pregnant, infants/toddlers, with heart and stroke risks, lung issues, pls take care and reduce exposure. It can easily turn deadly for the really susceptible few.

Eg infants and newborns easily respires 2X or more than adults wrt per kg weight.

Very high puts the problem very mildly. Some of today's readings are "off the charts."

Attached are two graphics reflecting the values scaled that make up the AQI and a graph reflecting recent days in Chiang Mai Site 36T (Uparaj School) in town.

Since 1 February, the persistent average of PM<2.5 (ranging in the upper 70s) has been in the red "Unhealthy range." The AQI measurement is somewhat misleading.

Remember that the PM<2.5 particles are NOT filtered by common public health masks. HEPA rated "Darth Vader" masks are a totally diffierent matter. Otherwise, as has been pointed out, the 3-M Filtrete is a very practical and inexpensive measure to reduce levels of PM<2.5, and individually or (better) coupled with a good air filter, interior levels can be lowered. But, considering active households, this is practically really somewhat of a losing battle.

One last thought: Not everyone can afford to exit for the seashore. Indeed, think of the majority of the population which doesn't have air conditioning, air filters and the like.

post-55418-0-53310900-1425987453_thumb.p

post-55418-0-73142700-1425987487_thumb.p

Hi Mapguy,

Heh heh...I'm from Singapore, so I'm not familiar with the history of Thailand/Myammar haze intensities over the years.

Singapore's record was in 2013 June, a 3-hr PSI 401 (500 ug/m3 PM10) and a 24-hr PM2.5 concentration of 292 ug/m3, if I remember correctly. The haze issue started from about 1994, from the records.

Malaysia's record is an API (not sure how it compares with AQI or PSI, but it's based on PM10) of 746, recorded in Muar. Malaysia considers any API above 300 as hazardous.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/06/23/Haze-API-in-Muar-spikes-at-746/

China's record is an absolutely unbreatheable 990 ug/m3 PM2.5 on Jan 13th 2013 if I remember correctly.

I will check out more into aqmthai's 1hr readings and graphs, I didn't have access to a PC just now, was posting on my mobile phone actually. Actually compared to Singapore, Thailand's website interface gives you very good info esp in somewhat raw data format + even a good graph stating 1hr concentrations over a good user definable range. It's quite a bit better.

I think it may be prudent to post some health warnings since it has gotten so bad in Chiang Mai now

Here's one of it, for newborns/infants/toddlers and pregnant women especially. If you as an adult is suffering 100% from the haze, then the kids are suffering 150%-200%.

http://www.environment.ucla.edu/reportcard/article1700.html

There are several biological reasons why young children may be more susceptible to air pollution's effects. Children's lungs, immune system, and brain are immature at birth and continue to rapidly develop until approximately age 6, and the cell layer lining the inside of the respiratory tract is particularly permeable during this age period. Compared to adults, children also have a larger lung surface area in relation to their body weight, and breathe 50% more air per kilogram of body weight. The process of early growth and development is important for the health of the child in general, and therefore may also be a critical time when air pollution exposures can have lasting effects on future health.

Fetal_dev5.jpg

Child_dev4.jpg

Was driving along Canal Road just now (7+pm) and saw huge fire up on the eastern hill slopes of Doi Suthep. You can see it at the stretch just about where the Green Lake(?) Resort is, between Convention Center and 700year Stadium.

Anyone saw it? It is still burning. The fireline must be in the hundreds of meters, since I reckon the fire is more than 2km from the road, although its hard to estimate at night. Never saw such a huge fire before.

Here's the filtration capability of a surgical mask. Left number is 0.5 microns, right number is 2.5 microns. The laser particle counter used is a Dylos.

I guess if you are really super desperate, taping the sides of a surgical mask to your face to prevent bypass is still better than nothing. (But don't have a false sense of safety)

surgical_mask_test.jpg

Magiclean tissue sheet

Wiper_sheet_test.jpg

filter-test.gif

Was driving along Canal Road just now (7+pm) and saw huge fire up on the eastern hill slopes of Doi Suthep. You can see it at the stretch just about where the Green Lake(?) Resort is, between Convention Center and 700year Stadium.

Anyone saw it? It is still burning. The fireline must be in the hundreds of meters, since I reckon the fire is more than 2km from the road, although its hard to estimate at night. Never saw such a huge fire before.

It is the season and you can be sure it is going on everywhere and it wiil be great for mushrooms when rainy season starts. All the fires are man made, and not a single arrest or even an attempt to find anyone lighting the fires is made. It is part of the culture here so get used to it. I have seen this going on for ten years now and there is no desire to change the burning habits. You are in Thailand now.

For those who are lucky to get hold of and afford N95s, FFP-1, KN90, whatever....pls do a proper test-fit. It's the same thing you'd do in a lab or healthcare setting. No proper test fit or care to ensure nearly zero bypass = nearly useless. Technically, you are not supposed to use it for more than a day. But I guess if stocks are low, you can push it to 2 days. It's an electrostatic filter element inside, once it's wet (eg due to human breath with many hours of usage), it's a goner.

Video showing how to wear a N95 properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul9nbpyPgIw

My personal favourite is the 9210 and 9211 (with exhaust valve). It fits most people almost perfectly due to its soft design. It's also foldable, so it's really convenient to bring it out where it matters most.

The 8210 "turtle shell" actually has 3 sizes, if you are a lady with a small face and you got the large sized 8210, you are as good as not wearing anything due to the horrible amounts of bypass. For older children, you can go for the 1860S or 8110S.

The issue of bypass is very common when N95s are worn by the lay person on the street.

E382B9E382AFE383AAE383BCE383B3E382B7E383

3m-9211-mask.jpg

Get the 3M 9913F as it has a carbon layer which removes all smell and volatile vapors. The nice thing about that is that if you can smell smoke, you have a poor seal. With the 9913 you can walk right through a cloud of smoke from a fire and not smell a thing.

Archived