Who's in Chiang Mai?

RubberSideDown

Yeah, I'm a 'beat the traffic/heat' guy, but I don't think that's as much of an issue in CM as it is farther south.

Yeah no problem here except maybe 8am & 4:30pm as usual work/school traffic then but even then on a bike no problem.

Samoeng never a problem especially on the 3/4 section I mentioned.

Just go easy thru the small village like sections due to dogs/ old folks,kids etc....

The rest is quite deserted

Rode as far as the international school very early (sunrise) this morning (I have some appointments today so I couldn't make it later or do the whole loop)- the road was very cold and damp and my TC came on several times, and the rear didn't feel very well planted at all, and the front was sliding as well, which I don't particularly enjoy...- I'm going to run it again closer to noon tomorrow or Thursday when temps are higher so traction should be less of an issue. Great curves, though, and (except for a few short sections) the road surface ranges from decent to excellent- I'd just avoid it really early (after 9am would likely be better this time of year).

I was nice to have it virtually to myself, though.wink.png

Temps ran between 13*-16* (this is Thailand? It's still going to get colder in the next couple of months???) Even in non-perf full leathers it was a bit chilly- the bike was loving it, though, and the engine was running over 10* cooler than usual- coupled with the cool, dense air the power output was the highest I've ever felt (not that I needed it on the Loop, but I opened it up on the highway a tad).

It's easy to see the appeal of CM for motorcyclists, and I've barely scratched the surface.

it gets colder than this at times up North so tires needed to be warmed before any acrobatics.

last year in Bangkok we see lower temps that this. but this year looks warmer.

enjoy bro! love to be riding around there but need to travel to colder countries:(

you can just climb to Doi Suthep as well, very close to CM. it does not take a lot of time short but effective!:

prefer lunch time when all tour busses and tourist are having a lunch break or very late afternoon or very early in the morning.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Wat+Phrathat+Doi+Suthep/@18.8047487,98.9153445,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xa218873844929242

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAd_BMggno

Rode as far as the international school very early (sunrise) this morning (I have some appointments today so I couldn't make it later or do the whole loop)- the road was very cold and damp and my TC came on several times, and the rear didn't feel very well planted at all, and the front was sliding as well, which I don't particularly enjoy...- I'm going to run it again closer to noon tomorrow or Thursday when temps are higher so traction should be less of an issue. Great curves, though, and (except for a few short sections) the road surface ranges from decent to excellent- I'd just avoid it really early (after 9am would likely be better this time of year).

I was nice to have it virtually to myself, though.wink.png

Temps ran between 13*-16* (this is Thailand? It's still going to get colder in the next couple of months???) Even in non-perf full leathers it was a bit chilly- the bike was loving it, though, and the engine was running over 10* cooler than usual- coupled with the cool, dense air the power output was the highest I've ever felt (not that I needed it on the Loop, but I opened it up on the highway a tad).

It's easy to see the appeal of CM for motorcyclists, and I've barely scratched the surface.

don't think i will be doing to much early morning riding then as only bought mesh textile jacket and bottoms with me.......cold in thailandblink.png

don't think i will be doing to much early morning riding then as only bought mesh textile jacket and bottoms with me.......cold in thailand:blink:

555 you know its all by comparison but it is never really cold

But it is cold in comparison to what we are use to here in Thailand.

I would call it nippy wink.png

But yes I have been up there in Jan/Feb late afternoon & it was cool on the top.

But your back down in the valleys quick enough that it is not drastic or anything.

If you have a decent shirt under your jacket you will be fine

Or do as we did in Cycling down the big mountains & slip a newspaper in your shirt or jacket

Works great!thumbsup.gif

Edited by mania

RSD

Yes as Yankee & Mac knew I sold my bike recently

For sure if your in CM the one worth riding is Samoeng loop

http://www.gt-rider.com/tour-options/chiang-mai-thailand/touring-loops-day-rides/the-samoeng-loop

I always preferred entering from Hangdong side running it till roughly before the elephant camp

turning around & going back the same way.

That has way less cars as you do not enter the tourist areas.

Also along the way is a junction & you can drop down into Samoeng town proper if you like adds only

10-15 total to ride but has some nice turns or turn up the mountain at the little cop station & continue to that elephant camp

Have Fun

Thanks for your info Mania.

I hope to be over from Aus next Feb March and these roads look real interesting, similar to my home roads.

Your leads and links are very imformative and have given me a good perspective of what to expect.

Samoeng loop looks like a fun road and i have googled all roads North Pai etc.

Will rent a bike when i arrive and have seen good prices and availability already.

Fun will be had by all, i'm sure.

• Like 1

Now I'm going to look for a fast road with sweepers rather than hairpins, which is more of the 14R's element- any suggestions, Mania?

For sure the road going from Chiangmai to Chiangrai would be a blast on the 14R

I would say go as far as Mae Suai & turn back at either the Hot Geyser or a little further is

a PTT complex with Amazon coffee/Black Canyon/7-11 etc

But that is a great ride for your bike & you will love the higher speeds & great sweepers

This pic is the geyser spot & the PTT spot further on about 5k?

Wish I could also show you a back way for the 1st section out of Chiangmai...lemme see if I can suss it out on a map

for you

Other wise just head out of CM towards Chiangrai & you will be on the main section

I'm quite sure you will be able to do it under 2hours + what ever time you stop at coffee etc.

A little over 50k each way if I remember right

post-82547-0-38887500-1418804707_thumb.j

Edited by mania

I know one way to describe that 1st section out of Chiangmai is to tell you
look to going to Sankamphaeng Hot Spring (see map attached)

What you want is the 1317 all the way to Pong Din then
your at the main 118 which is the normal Chiangmai>Chiangrai road
But if you take this other 1st section it is quite nice too & when you hit
Pong Din turn right heading toward Chiangrai

Reason I say turn back at Geyser or PTT is you have had much of the best the road has to offer at that point.
It WILL get good again but not for a long straight time & by then your almost at Chiangrai by then...
Seems your wanting shorter than that right? (Chiangmai>CHiangrai total is near 200km each way)

Map with 1st section alternative ( if you just want the higher speed & sweepers then stick with the 118 out of Chiangmai totally

PS: if you do go this 1st section don't bother turning off for Sankamphaeng hot spring..total tourist trap

The hot Geyser further on is free 555

sankamphaengloop-n.JPG

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

If you do go thru to Chiang Rai there is a shortcut off the 118 that winds thru the country side and comes out at Wat Rong Khun - the White Temple. Go inside and see Elvis ! A must see outside, very beautiful.

Will see if I can remember where the turnoff is. I know where it is, but to describe it !!!

Will ask GF when she back.

Question: why everyone is hiding their LP on the pictures? Anything bad can be done with it online? I mean you don't ride (drive) around with it covered so what's the big deal posting it online?

On the road I'm just a random rider- on the board I'm a specific person, and that can make me (or you, or anyone) a target of some random loon who you may have slighted in the past, and now he'll try to make some trouble for no other other than his entertainment.

Is it a big worry? No, but I don't post any of my specific personal details online anywhere, and certainly not here.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

Question: why everyone is hiding their LP on the pictures? Anything bad can be done with it online? I mean you don't ride (drive) around with it covered so what's the big deal posting it online?

On the road I'm just a random rider- on the board I'm a specific person, and that can make me (or you, or anyone) a target of some random loon who you may have slighted in the past, and now he'll try to make some trouble for no other other than his entertainment.

Is it a big worry? No, but I don't post any of my specific personal details online anywhere, and certainly not here.

Also sad to say in this land a few hundred baht buys info at times.

If someone wants to know where this bike is parked at night that Lic# info may give them that info

• Like 1

Mania, I really appreciate your posting specific details (which I need as I can get lost inside a phone booth). I'll give that route a shot within the next week.

You will love it on the 14R thumbsup.gif

Very good open fast sweepers & good road too.

One caution although I am sure your aware.........

This road is wide & nice but some fast sweepers occur over small mountain tops

As such many times there will be a double lane on your side & you will possibly be using

what is now the center lane to pass.

Beware ! Buses & silver vans rushing to get back to Chiangmai coming at you

in that lane even though it is not theirs to use & they are crossing a solid line.

But because your in a fast sweeper passing slower trucks/cars of course the pull is to the outside of turn (center line)

Makes the correction that much harder if you suddenly see a bus coming over the top of the hill in your lane & you need

to tighten turn.

I know you probably already know this as Thailand has it everywhere. I had a couple on this road.

Just be aware during those fast sections with two lanes on your side if you cannot see too far ahead.

Take Care & have fun! Let us know how you like it.

I am betting you will enjoy it with that bike.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Also sad to say in this land a few hundred baht buys info at times.

If someone wants to know where this bike is parked at night that Lic# info may give them that info

Agree this country is crazy, some people here are crazy, it only takes a second to cover the plate so yes it's best to be careful, have a great xmas everyone.

Route 109 to Phayao is where you can unleash the potential (via 118)...as well as Route 1001 to Phrao.

Samoeng and Doi Suthep are all too tight for your bike. You will get smoked by Honda Waves.

correction..route 120 NOT 109

109 is also awesome but in a different direction through Fang.

No complaints about the CM Kawasaki service center- I got clutch/brake fluid changed and chain adjusted- they took me right away without an appointment, did nice, clean work (on a not difficult job, of course, but I watched them the whole time and they did everything with care and were very careful to keep fluids off the bike)- 875 baht and in-and-out in less than 40 minutes.

Now I'm going to look for a fast road with sweepers rather than hairpins, which is more of the 14R's element- any suggestions, Mania?

For sure the road going from Chiangmai to Chiangrai would be a blast on the 14R

I would say go as far as Mae Suai & turn back at either the Hot Geyser or a little further is

a PTT complex with Amazon coffee/Black Canyon/7-11 etc

But that is a great ride for your bike & you will love the higher speeds & great sweepers

This pic is the geyser spot & the PTT spot further on about 5k?

Wish I could also show you a back way for the 1st section out of Chiangmai...lemme see if I can suss it out on a map

for you

Other wise just head out of CM towards Chiangrai & you will be on the main section

I'm quite sure you will be able to do it under 2hours + what ever time you stop at coffee etc.

A little over 50k each way if I remember right

attachicon.gif22.jpg

I'm a Chiang Rai lad and Mania, RSD will be missing out on some great twisties after the Mae Suai PTT, which he should have no problem at all with on his ZX14. Just sayin' :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had forgotten about this thread & wondered how it went RSD?

Did you get in many more rides up here in CM?

Also what Garry said is true there are some great twisties past Mae Suai PTT but I had suggested

that turn around as a shorter out & back day ride.

Is true though what Garry said & as you get near Chiang Rai the road really does get more & more fun bike ride wise.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Yeah, I went on a few great rides (though I was usually limited to about two hours, which was why my initial plans were to travel alone, but we had some good family fun)- the 118 and the roads connecting to it are excellent, and I had a good blast up past Wat Phrathat on Doi Suthep (route below). I've got to leave on Sunday to take care of some business stuff, but I'm thinking of moving up here and will probably come back around the 15th (I'm leaving the bike here). I like Chiang Mai, and this was more of a scouting trip than anything else).;)

post-176811-0-88333700-1420169345_thumb.

• Like 1

Yeah, I went on a few great rides (though I was usually limited to about two hours, which was why my initial plans were to travel alone, but we had some good family fun)- the 118 and the roads connecting to it are excellent, and I had a good blast up past Wat Phrathat on Doi Suthep (route below). I've got to leave on Sunday to take care of some business stuff, but I'm thinking of moving up here and will probably come back around the 15th (I'm leaving the bike here). I like Chiang Mai, and this was more of a scouting trip than anything else).wink.png

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good to hear you got in some rides.

Yes I like CM I would say probably the only niggle is Immigration here is really overworked/understaffed

so can be trying. But now that we can do our 90 day reports via mail. It is really only one day a year we need to deal with it.

Good Luck & Happy New Year

• Like 1