Do you think this is a little underhanded?

giddyup

I picked up my new Mitsu Triton yesterday but when I got home I discovered that the rubber floor mats that were included in the extras package were in fact just cheap rubber mats like you'd buy from a hardware store, not the fitted Mitsu mats I expected. My partner rang the manager and his response was that they'd already given us a heap of extras (free insurance, wind deflectors, bug deflector, window tint, spare wheel lock, tray liner and rubber floor mats etc) and that if we wanted the genuine Mitsu rubber mats I would have to buy them. Admittedly, the extras only said "rubber floor mats" not Genuine, but I still think this is a bit of a con. For one thing, the rubber mats they supplied don't fit and could actually be dangerous on the drivers side if caught under the accelerator, so I've removed them. The other thing they did was put tint film on the windscreen, which to me is a big no-no, but the shade isn't particularly dark, so maybe it will be OK.

Mitsu have quite a good complaints procedure here in Thailand.

I haven't used it for years but got a great result last time. - I had a huge row with a dealer in Chonburi who basically left my vehicle in an unroadworthy condition and then insisted there was nothing wrong. Mitsu sent out an independent team of engineers to fix the vehicle at a garage of my choice.

Ignore the garage - they are probably doing a fiddle anyway and get onto Google and find out where their central complaints system is.

I doubt if it's actually called "complaints" - (but you can try that) due to spin etc it is more likely to be called something like "customer satisfaction department".

Tell them this isn't the deal you expected and ask them to rectify the situation.

I'd suggest you should aim for a set of mats fitted for that model....you might also insist ion a statement from the dealer and some ex-gratia payment or "gift" on top.

Edited by wilcopops

If you don't explicitly specify you only want genuine/OEM freebies, they will assume you will want cheaper alternatives, so as to get more of them.

Conversely, had you said "only genuine" you might not have gotten them at all, as they would have blown the freebies budget quicker.

I didn't specify "genuine" for the wind deflectors, bug deflectors and tray liner either, but that's what I got.

If you don't explicitly specify you only want genuine/OEM freebies, they will assume you will want cheaper alternatives, so as to get more of them.

Conversely, had you said "only genuine" you might not have gotten them at all, as they would have blown the freebies budget quicker.

I didn't specify "genuine" for the wind deflectors, bug deflectors and tray liner either, but that's what I got.

Are you certain? how can you tell your wind deflectors are genuine parts, and not aftermarket ones with "triton" silk screened on them? :)

Either way, if you did get some genuine parts, lucky you :D

• Like 1

I picked up my new Mitsu Triton yesterday but when I got home I discovered that the rubber floor mats that were included in the extras package were in fact just cheap rubber mats like you'd buy from a hardware store, not the fitted Mitsu mats I expected. My partner rang the manager and his response was that they'd already given us a heap of extras (free insurance, wind deflectors, bug deflector, window tint, spare wheel lock, tray liner and rubber floor mats etc) and that if we wanted the genuine Mitsu rubber mats I would have to buy them. Admittedly, the extras only said "rubber floor mats" not Genuine, but I still think this is a bit of a con. For one thing, the rubber mats they supplied don't fit and could actually be dangerous on the drivers side if caught under the accelerator, so I've removed them. The other thing they did was put tint film on the windscreen, which to me is a big no-no, but the shade isn't particularly dark, so maybe it will be OK.

Where's the con, the dealer supplied the mats that were specified ("Admittedly, the extras only said "rubber floor mats" not Genuine")?

"The other thing they did was put tint film on the windscreen, which to me is a big no-no, but the shade isn't particularly dark, so maybe it will be OK."

You have an issue with something that is ok? Weird.

Are you certain? how can you tell your wind deflectors are genuine parts, and not aftermarket ones with "triton" silk screened on them? smile.png

Either way, if you did get some genuine parts, lucky you biggrin.png

Look, I don't really care if genuine or not, but I do want floor mats that fit, not a front door mat for my house.

• Like 1

Here's the deal. You didn't actually negotiate anything special - all you managed was to get their standard best deal, which is a pure number. In the case of the outgoing Triton right now, that's 120K Baht.

How you take that 120K Baht is up to you, really. Some of it you take as "free" insurance, some you take as "free" accessories, some you take as cash off the price. There's no real magic in it.

Now, IIRC, the deal you ended up negotiating was 100K off the price, and probably about 14K in insurance, That left 6K for accessories, which it sounds like they gave you. If you want more expensive accessories now, they just can't do it.

Where's the con, the dealer supplied the mats that were specified ("Admittedly, the extras only said "rubber floor mats" not Genuine")?

"The other thing they did was put tint film on the windscreen, which to me is a big no-no, but the shade isn't particularly dark, so maybe it will be OK."

You have an issue with something that is ok? Weird.

I have an issue with window tint on a windscreen, which is illegal in just about every civilised country in the world, not to mention dangerous. When a new car dealer says they are going to supply rubber mats for your NEW vehicle, you take it for granted that the mats will fit, if you think my expectations are too high then you must be a car salesman's wet dream.

• Like 1

Your lucky you got what you got. Go ask a dealer for that amount of free stuff in western country and they would laugh at you.

Why don't you just buy some nice mats for it? 2~3000 and you get some really nice and safe ones for your beautiful new 7~800000 baht ride.

• Like 1

Here's the deal. You didn't actually negotiate anything special - all you managed was to get their standard best deal, which is a pure number. In the case of the outgoing Triton right now, that's 120K Baht.

How you take that 120K Baht is up to you, really. Some of it you take as "free" insurance, some you take as "free" accessories, some you take as cash off the price. There's no real magic in it.

Now, IIRC, the deal you ended up negotiating was 100K off the price, and probably about 14K in insurance, That left 6K for accessories, which it sounds like they gave you. If you want more expensive accessories now, they just can't do it.

If they had said that they couldn't throw in the rubber floor mats for that price, fair enough, but to put rubber door mats that are just ill fitting and potentially dangerous for the driver, just isn't on.

Your lucky you got what you got. Go ask a dealer for that amount of free stuff in western country and they would laugh at you.

Why don't you just buy some nice mats for it? 2~3000 and you get some really nice and safe ones for your beautiful new 7~800000 baht ride.

Lucky, my arse. These are the extras that are being thrown in on the run-out model, I didn't have to twist anyone's arm.

Sad to say once again, TiT. Sadly one must ALWAYS be on guard for the escape clause, and ironically, if they hadn't wasted the money on the incorrect and dangerous windshield tint they could have afforded the proper floor mats.

Thankyou, there are some ill-informed people that seem to think front window tint is OK, and how dare I complain about it.

• Like 1

Are you certain? how can you tell your wind deflectors are genuine parts, and not aftermarket ones with "triton" silk screened on them? smile.png

Either way, if you did get some genuine parts, lucky you biggrin.png

Look, I don't really care if genuine or not, but I do want floor mats that fit, not a front door mat for my house.

There's some aftermarket floor mats which are way better than the OEM ones anyway, as they achieve much better coverage: http://www.triton-club.com/index.php?topic=9.0

Highly recommended if dirt is going to get dragged inside the truck.

Edited by IMHO

I wasn't suggesting I got the deal of the century, but I do expect them to provide the "suitable" extras they promised, whether genuine or aftermarket.

I wasn't suggesting I got the deal of the century, but I do expect them to provide the "suitable" extras they promised, whether genuine or aftermarket.

Seems you still haven't shaken those Western expectations :) The sooner you do, the happier you'll be. I mean you're here getting flustered about 150 baht mats :P

• Like 1

Seems you still haven't shaken those Western expectations smile.png The sooner you do, the happier you'll be. I mean you're here getting flustered about 150 baht mats tongue.png

Does the word "principle" mean anything to you? Are you suggesting the secret to happiness is just bending over and grabbing my ankles every time someone tries to rip me off?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Hmm they should have removed that too.. But I agree that windshield tint is terrible and causes distortion in day light and poor night vision. Unfortunately while I understand and sympathize with your frustration, your post above regarding "principle" is EXACTLY what they expect of you in Thailand. It's a Thai mantra..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes, I think it is underhanded, but I'd just leave it be.

Why?

Because I don't think this is worth getting angry or excited about. And no, I don't think complaining will mean bad service next time as somebody else mentioned, I just don't think it is worth it. Buy cheap mats and remove the film (or have them remove it if you prefer, they won't mind at all).

• Like 1

Does the word "principle" mean anything to you? Are you suggesting the secret to happiness is just bending over and grabbing my ankles every time someone tries to rip me off?

No-one ripped you off.

It's like saying "can you paint my house for 20K baht?" and then complaining that they didn't use the most expensive Dulux paint @ 4,000 Bath/gallon.

You got what you paid for - no better than that, because free ain't much to pay :)

• Like 1