You can't do this. 45 baht tip on 8000 baht bill

frollywolly

Thai's usually do not tip. It is a farang custom. Although I realize it is expected that a farang tip Most farang owned businesses expect tips.

I always look to see if there is a service charge. I know there is a Vat. Be warned, that I will never tip if I get a bill with both a Service charge added and a Vat added. Also I do not like unwanted extras I do not ask for...like a bucket of ice and then 20 baht added for that. (I never put ice in my beer). Also do not tip if I have to pay as I go. There is only one tip on that...When I leave (after running out of small change)

I will always tip if I am treated well, and the food is tasty...as long as the above mention foolery is not going on.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

please don t picture me as cheap cheap Charly.

I don t know from where u come from

I m from Canada.And this police of tipping Is really coming bad.

U r not "home"and before invasion of Farang,they din t know What a TIPPING was.

So by importing u r Farang mentality here in Asia,u contribute to spoil...the hole thing.

I work myself for Air Canada for Many years,has passenger agent at différents airports,give the best of myself to provide services to costumer and never receive tip.

This was perfect to me.IT WAS MY JOB TO DO IT.

Of course,when I stay in htl I always leave leave a tip on the bed for the room cleaning woman.

preferebly from the first day.

IT only mean that I appreciate her services.I do same in resto.

but just to show my appréciation.

So pls,think about other fa rangs will follow u after u r visit.

We just leave $ for show We appreciate.

TIP:before u leave resto,look on other tables What the Thai left as a tip.

doesnt that ensure your return etc which is worth much more than any tip.

Not for the staff who rely on their tips to make some decent money..

So returning, spending more money, thereby keeping the restaurant open and the people employed ISNT more important than a few baht tip for that one night???...yeah right

• Like 2

DON'T TIP, you just ruin the culture for everyone. How stupid is it to encourage people to actually do what they are paid to do by their employer. Think your a bigger man now? How about dropping the 300 Baht into a reputable donation location, that actually helps out someone without a job.

Oz

We all know that most of the Australians visiting Thailand are not the world best tip giving people.

doesnt that ensure your return etc which is worth much more than any tip.

Not for the staff who rely on their tips to make some decent money..

So returning, spending more money, thereby keeping the restaurant open and the people employed ISNT more important than a few baht tip for that one night???...yeah right

Restaurants lose staff because of lousy tippers. If they add the 10%, people think it is to expensive and don't come.

• Like 1

Is many western countries wait staff are paid only a fraction of minimum wage...

Believe that is not the case in Thailand..

Also if the bill came to 8000.. Then I'm pretty this was at a nice enough place that they already have a 10% service fee added on to the bill...

If the resteraunt already adds a 10% tip for themselves on my bill, then unless the service was absolutely great, I will not give an additional tip

Had a good chuckle reading this...as many posters have noted, tipping is not required in Thailand, but in some cases service, VAT may be added to the bill......but..............

The OP claims to be calling his friend a cheap Charlie for leaving 45 baht and then proceeds to leave 300 baht, which is a measly 3.75% according to my calculations....looks like the pot is calling the kettle black here.....I mean why not leave 15% if it was so good, or if trying to impress everyone incl. Thaivisa pundits, throw in 5000 baht just to be safe.....thumbsup.gif

Edited by murga
  • Like 2

Tipping is overrated here.

Many times I see 10 Baht tips. 20 Baht is acknowledged as a good tip.

Where I have my breakfast every day @ 110 Baht. I always give 120 Baht due to the friendliness and good service. If you think that makes me tight, The reaction of the staff tells me different.

• Like 2

Tipping is ridiculous. Lots of people work minimum wage jobs, but for some reason the west has made us feel guilty for not GIVING servers extra money for simply bringing food to the table. Do these people work any harder than the ones at Big C, Burger King, or the gas station? But for some reason we give extra money to waiters...... Strange custom if you ask me.

To add insult to injury, restaurant service is usually 100 times worse in Bangkok than in America (from my personal experience).

Well, in American, restaurants can pay waiters less than minimum wage. Jobs that recieve tips are not required to have the normal minimum wage. In some states you only have to pay a waiter $2.13 an hour, which is the minimum wage for tipped employees. Normal minimum wage is $7.25.

• Like 1

Thais will leave coins on the tray. It is not really a tip, it just looks demeaning to be

scooping up one baht coins , so they are left. I am pretty sure that a restaurant

with that price for a meal would have had a service charge added in. So the guy

paying for the meal did everything exactly right as he probably had been there

before. The OP in essence insulted the guy paying for the meal by adding

in an unnecessary tip......

• Like 2