You can't do this. 45 baht tip on 8000 baht bill

frollywolly

How ridiculous you are not only to give 300 baht but dare to open your mouth when your friend already paid the bill !

I would have asked you to refund me the dinner and never see you again !

But actually who is crazy enough to pay 8000 bill in a Bangkok restaurant except if you eat foie gras and lobster ?

• Like 1

I embrace Thai culture. They want us to accept sinsod and all the other customs I am hounded about. So I don't want to upset them by tipping, as after all it isn't Thai culture, it's a Falang thing. Can't have it both ways can they.

Well done for respecting Thai culture. How much sinsod did you pay?

• Like 1

Thai's usually do not tip. It is a farang custom.

Thais tip too, not at street stalls of course but in places a bit upscale from that. It is very common to leave the coins behind as a tip, or a 20 baht or two. It's basically the same tip regardless of the how high the bill is.

What the OP's friend did was a Thai style tip.

Minimum wage is 300 baht PER DAY. 300 baht tip for a single person for one meal is extremely high. The 45 baht tip was fine, it is ok for Thailand, regardless of how high the bill was.

Although personally I would never spend so much on a meal, it is a bit obscene, and I would tip a lot more than 45 baht if I did. I find the price of the meal more offensive than the size of the tip.

really 8,000 baht between 4 people for a special occasion is now considered 'obscene'?

8,000 baht works out about 155 GPB / 200 euro / 240 dollars, really what are you on about apart from trying to get in a little dig?

Everyone could do with taking a break from the 30 baht kao mon gai once in awhile!

Mind you the OP was fairly insulting to his friends who just treated him to a nice meal, there is no need to be leaving tips anywhere in Thailand over 20-50 baht regardless of where you are eating.

Edited by bkkgooner
  • Like 1

Thanks to the OP for injecting his western values into thai society and screwing up expectations of the locals... A decade ago it was unheard of for a Thai to ask (beg) for a tip... Now it is a regular event thanks to farang like the OP...

• Like 1

Thanks to the OP for injecting his western values into thai society and screwing up expectations of the locals... A decade ago it was unheard of for a Thai to ask (beg) for a tip... Now it is a regular event thanks to farang like the OP...

And you have a problem with this because?

I tip the tongtow 2 baht. Costs 8 baht, I give 10. 25% tip!!

Though I do it to avoid the 2x 1 baht coins change.

At restaurants, I usually leave the small coins (like most locals). Unless they try to trick me by coming back with coins instead of notes...then they can stuff off.

Only in the very touristy places such as Patong and Pattaya and lower Sukhumvit. You won't find anyone beg for tipping at local places, it is digraceful.

8000 baht would pay the waitress wages for a month !

last Restaurant i went, 12 of us, ate as much as we wanted, FREE, everyone was asleep and we cleared the bins no problem ratfans...yyeeaahhhhcheesy.gif and left a few of our little pressies dotted around as our calling card.

Edited by RolandRat
  • Like 1

Because I do not like some of the traits of western society that are finding their way into Thai culture... The expectation of a tip is one of them, whether quality service is provided or not... Just because it's part of your culture doesn't mean you should spread that expectation to other cultures...

Only in the very touristy places such as Patong and Pattaya and lower Sukhumvit. You won't find anyone beg for tipping at local places, it is digraceful.

You are correct in that once you get away from the tourist areas, this attitude disappears... Just more evidence of western influence on local attitudes... Other countries, such as the Philippines, begging is an occupation...

• Like 1

Because I do not like some of the traits of western society that are finding their way into Thai culture... The expectation of a tip is one of them, whether quality service is provided or not... Just because it's part of your culture doesn't mean you should spread that expectation to other cultures...

And yet there are countless threads bemoaning Thai corruption, police extortion and other negative aspects of life in Thailand that would be improved if more traits of western society found their way into Thai society. I would take some acceptance of tipping if it led to other changes.

• Like 2

Depends on the type of restaurant and service not? If the service was beyond expectation (standard service level), a good tip is in place. Else at a normal reataurant we just leave the change.

Service charge is just silly, why pay for service seperatly? Normal service levels should be part of the service and thus wage, extra service can be reqarded wuth a tip. If the service us crap I din't want to pay a service charge.

Speaking if service charge, I noticer that a Shabu (hotpot), the Thai text says nothing about any service charge. The Ebglisg text says there will be 10% service charge. My Thai friends, whi invited me and paid the bill, said that for Thai there always is a service charge too, even though it is not listed on the menu. I kinda doubt that, anyone knows if Thai only tables pay a service charge at Shabu?

And yes, rationally it makes no sense to tip waiters etc. Logically people could/should tip/reward any staff that surpassed their expectations. Regular service at a restaurant, supermarket, gasstation etc. would not *need* to be tipped. In the end, people should tip when they feel like it abd decide for themselves what makes a fair tip.

Shabi

Well I think a nice TIP can make a great restaurant service even better. Dining a lot in expensive restaurant and hotels like the Mandarin Oriental. When I like the people and the service I gave them some high tip like 1000 THB and they are very thankful. When you come the next time you get a very nice table, your wine glasses are much fuller than regular etc. Ok some times they are going a bit to far. Remember the times in the intercontinental club lounge. There you don't need to pay but I gave my regular 1000 THB tip to a woman working there. After this my whisky glass was full. Yes full :$ and she remember me every time I visit and get a bit extra service. Yes some can call me stupid or what ever. I see this as an investment. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tipping is a western culture

I only half agree with the culture of tipping, why should you pay extra for good service,

good service should be a given as a standard

do you tip when a retail shop eg clothes shop gives you great service??? never, so why does it apply to hospitality?

also, call me cynical, but if too many farangs start tipping, then all the thais will start expecting it, and if you dont tip or tip big, they will call you stingy or a loser, thus defeating the intentions of tipping!!!

edit; I was getting a normal massage in a shop that ive been to a few tines, this time there was only a fat unattractive masseues about 40 free. Ive had massages from this shop before by older women and they had been good. Anyway, about ten minutes in, she starts offering me extra services, to which I decline. She tries a few more times including sticking her hand down my pants, to which I tell her not to.

She aso tells me she doesnt make any comission from my massage (yeah right) and would like a big tip. the massage was 250baht, I give her 300 and she looks at me, sulks, and mumbles something in thai and storms off

no more tipping for me at massage places

I embrace Thai culture. They want us to accept sinsod and all the other customs I am hounded about. So I don't want to upset them by tipping, as after all it isn't Thai culture, it's a Falang thing. Can't have it both ways can they.

Well done for respecting Thai culture. How much sinsod did you pay?

Married two of the local girls so far, both said sinsod scam, don't have to pay.

DON'T TIP, you just ruin the culture for everyone. How stupid is it to encourage people to actually do what they are paid to do by their employer. Think your a bigger man now? How about dropping the 300 Baht into a reputable donation location, that actually helps out someone without a job.

Oz

We all know that most of the Australians visiting Thailand are not the world best tip giving people.

My visiting Australian friends tip too much and make me look cheap when I visit the same restaurant without them.

• Like 1