Thailand Tipping - when is it a definite NO?

David48

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

many rainy seasons ago when i was a bachelor, living/working in Saudi Arabia and holidaying in Thailand i insulted a massage lady with a huge tip. that made her so angry that she insulted me with a blowjob unsure.png

People in PAttaya should really have their own forum. Thai poeple that go to work in Pattaya are NOT typical Thai people, they go there ONLY for the money. Massage joint there is another word for brothel and what you paid for is called dessert, I believe, or pudding for the unrefined

Pattaya is a sex tourist destination and there is a huge separation between Thais and foreigners. Mostly, the Thais hate foreigners but put up with them because of the money - the ones that don't tip are hated even more - all due to the sexpats being ill-informed about Thai customs and traditions. I've seen foreigners tip the woman who sells pineapples on the street even after she is charging them twice what I paid as I spoke Isarn with her.

Fine,, but look at the state of pattaya. I want to inform the expats who come to Isarn and other partds of Thailand that tipping is not one of their customs and people are proud here and do feel insulted when some oil worker comes in thinking he is the SUltan of Brunei. A friend of mine was earning 500 quid a day about 10 years ago gave every waitress a 1000 baht tip one - 7 in total. SUre they were happy but if everyone did this what do you think would happen?

Please don't compare Pattaya to the real Thailand.

heres my tip "get a sense of humour"

• 2 months later...

I think it depends on the attitude of the person I am being served by.

If the person serving me smiles and serves me well, I generally leave around 10% tip.  If I get attitude, they get nothing.

If I am discriminated, than forget about tipping, I just walk off and don't pay anything.

Last month, I was in a restaurant in Bangkok and I walked in, I asked for a table for 3 people. The Waitress showed us to the table. She had a face like a slapped arse.

We were ordering and in the middle of ordering, she proceeded to collect the menus, but I hadn't finished.

I just said to her.  Forget it, cancel the whole lot, your wasting my time and we all left. The Manager came to door as we were leaving to ask what was wrong, I said, you see that Waitress, she has just cost your business 3000THB in lost earning, because she was a rude little girl. You should sack her and employ someone who can do the job better.  

We left and he gave her a bollocking. 

If I want rubbish service from rude staff, I will stay in England, there plenty of them here. I don't pay thousands of pounds and suffer economy class for 16 hours to get it in a foreign country.