Police targeting non-Thais

sfm

Pattaya Beach Road, just after midday today, 12th Dec 2014.

When the policeman stopped me outside the police station I found it OK.

After all, I had been speaking in my mobile phone while driving.

Rules are rules, most countries have similar laws and they make sense.

No whining here.

So, off the bike, park it, hand over key, fine written - and the police station conveniently placed right across the road.

OK!

But here the trouble starts.

When I got in there a huge number of people were waiting in a cue.

The room was simply getting too small.

All, just like me standing with their fine in their hand.

I wondered "wow, so many offenders?!".

The next thing that struck me: every one waiting was a non-Thai, with the exception of 3 girls that were with their foreign boyfriend.

Long-nosed do not need to feel discriminated, some Indians were included, and some other nationalities too.

I counted the people in the queue and reached 73 foreigners and the 3 girls mentioned.

I decided not to wait, but come back later.

When I was about to get a motorbike taxi I saw the policeman stopping a western couple.

And, interestingly, they did wear helmets, and did not speak in mobile phone either.

I thought: "Why did he stop them?", and I decided to wait a little. In the next five minutes I was watching.

The policeman routinely stopped all foreign-looking drivers.

Those who passed though were because he was busy getting keys etc. from an already stopped person.

All of them (all of them wore helmets).

And absolutely every one was fined.

No Thai driver license, no original papers, no insurance sticker, whatever.

But not one single Thai driver was stopped.

- - -

Now I was a bit in worse mood. This is not right.

I went back to the station and the queue and aired my frustration to a policeman.

- Why do you only stop foreigners?

- No, see, also Thais

he said and pointed to the queue, that had grown considerably since the 73 counted earlier.

Right he was: there were these 3 Thai girls with their foreign boyfriend!

- - -

For me not such a big deal. I live here for 20 years.

I took a motorbike taxi home, and will go back to the station later and hope the queue is gone.

I got the idea of googling for 'thai police targeting foreigners' and ran into articles like this, from the 4th December:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/12/04/surge-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats

I wonder if this is really a trend?

In any case I am disappointed.

Unlike the Thais, foreign visitors will in general not know the rules.

How about the renter of the motorbike telling them?

Or even demanding that a license is shown, like it works for car rental in most countries?

And let it be the renters issue if the motorbike is not equipped with correct papers and stickers?

Instead, they send visitors into an hour-long standing in a queue.

- - -

Let us see what the fine is. 200? 500? 1000? 1500? 2000?

Given the context of matters, I have grim expectations!

I been stopped there 2 times as well, Thai 5 year motor bike licence, copy of the green book, insuance sticker up to date, legal scooter, all ok and I am sent on my way again.

They don't bust anybody without a valid reason but yes okay it's easy for them to walk 25 meter out of the police station and set up shop and if the rain comes they will bugger off into the polece station. Easy money for city hall.

The tourist can then brag to their frinds back home that they got stopped by the police and paid 200 baht and was sent on their marry way again, I guess some of them will find that quite cool/funny.

In how many countries are you allowed to continue after being busted without licence?

Driving a motorbike while talking on a mobile is plain crazy when traffic is coming from you at all angles as it does here, he did you a favour by stopping you

Yes, the same thing with the ladys who drive with a umbrella.

• Like 1

Going back later when the queue is shorter could result in the bike being taken away to the compound in the meantime, before you have paid your fine.

Yes, and the cost for getting it out of the compound will probably be quite a bit more than the fine which he will still have to pay anyway. :(

Going back later when the queue is shorter could result in the bike being taken away to the compound in the meantime, before you have paid your fine.

Yes, and the cost for getting it out of the compound will probably be quite a bit more than the fine which he will still have to pay anyway. sad.png

And after they have booked you for not having a bike licence,sad.png you immediately pay the fine,smile.png get your key backthumbsup.gif and ride off.w00t.gif Don't make much sense does it, "O" well.coffee1.gif

I been stopped there 2 times as well, Thai 5 year motor bike licence, copy of the green book, insuance sticker up to date, legal scooter, all ok and I am sent on my way again.

They don't bust anybody without a valid reason but yes okay it's easy for them to walk 25 meter out of the police station and set up shop and if the rain comes they will bugger off into the polece station. Easy money for city hall.

The tourist can then brag to their frinds back home that they got stopped by the police and paid 200 baht and was sent on their marry way again, I guess some of them will find that quite cool/funny.

In how many countries are you allowed to continue after being busted without licence?

Why do you carry your green book on your bike,I was told to leave my book at home.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do you carry your green book on your bike,I was told to leave my book at home.

"copy of the green book"

You will find there are plenty of other checkpoints set up at different locations where they are looking for different things and stop only Thais.

I have been waived through many, generally on the darkside, where they are looking for drugs, guns, stolen or unregistered bikes etc, they are then not interested in stopping farang.

Not sure how this could have passed you by if you have been here 20 years?

• Like 1

OP Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really understand this sentence.

"Long-nosed do not need to feel discriminated, some Indians were included, and some other nationalities too".

OP could you make the sentence clearer please?

Edited by uptheos