Washington march: Civil rights protest over US police killings

Lite Beer

That this development occurred during Prez Obama's watch is positive and encouraging. It brings to the surface cultural and socio-economic realities that most people haven't ever seen on television or in the MSM whether broadcast or print. It brings out into the open air and sunlight topics and people that had always been a national undercurrent or even an undertow.

And it poses new questions to explore. Questions such as were there any rednecks at the Washington march? At the Ferguson protests and civil disorder? Can cops be rednecks? What do the Rev Al Sharpton and Rush Limbaugh have in common, if anything? Can a Muslim be a redneck? Can a redneck originate from Canada and be elected to the United States Senate?

New dimensions of understanding and a higher level of discourse.

POP CULTURE

LISTS The 10 Most Hilarious Redneck Reality TV Shows

k4dtlbwctud7woccihhj.jpg

With the second season of Hillbilly Handfishin', a show devoted to men who capture catfish with their bare hands, and sometimes feet, premiering this Sunday on Animal Planet, we think it's time to acknowledge what we've been unwilling to admit: We are in the throes of a full-fledged redneck reality TV epidemic.

Enter the blue-collared, backwoods folks, who make an honest living using their hands alone, trudging through muck and mire, with a dialect so difficult to understand that some shows even include subtitles. Instead of ignoring America's down-home population, reality TV has embraced them, trading cities for swamps and bleached veneers for missing front teeth. It all kind of makes you feel superior, doesn't it?

We're not threatened by people we've deemed (often erroneously) hillbillies, backwoods, and redneckwe're entertained by them. And that's the point, right? Leave it to Hollywood to play with our desire to feel all high and mighty! Luckily, the byproduct in this shift means less entitled 1% types on our television sets and more "good ol' boys and girls" whose work ethic we can at least respect. No elitists here; these are The 10 Most Hilarious Redneck Reality TV Shows,y'all!

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/07/the-10-most-hilarious-redneck-reality-tv-shows/

"That this development occurred during Prez Obama's watch is positive and encouraging. It brings to the surface cultural and socio-economic realities that most people haven't ever seen on television or in the MSM whether broadcast or print. It brings out into the open air and sunlight topics and people that had always been a national undercurrent or even an undertow. "

I herewith nominate this post for the Most Twisted Logic of the Year Award!

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

Both are basically racist insults.

So just what race is a redneck?

It is a derogatory term for WHITE PEOPLE and it is racist. The N word is almost exclusively used to describe blacks and the R word is almost always directed at whites.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redneck

Tens of millions of Americans and millions of others around the world watch Redneck Reality TV. Redneck just isn't word it used to be. The word "redneck" has new nuances and meanings while it simultaneously retains some of its original impact.

When Bill Clinton was elected prez some people started calling him Bubba.

Again, the Merriam-Webster dictionary....

noun \ˈbə-bə\
Definition of BUBBA often disparaging
Origin of BUBBA
from Bubba, a stereotypical nickname of Southern white males
First Known Use: 1979

There is a stark contrast and difference between redneck or bubba and the N word, in that the N word has been unacceptable socio-culturally for decades, whereas the loose, informal, slang use of "redneck" and "bubba" are accepted and used every day in media and by everyday people. We laugh at these terms because people use them in various kinds of humor.

I voted twice for Bill Clinton for prez and sometimes called him Bubba. But I never called Bill Clinton a redneck. thumbsup.gif

So....I didn't see or hear of any rednecks participating in or supporting the March on Washington which was for and about civil rights.....and you?

Edited by Publicus

The Missouri AG now proclaims that was wrong, and that the Missouri Law needs to be changed and updated to reflect the Supreme Court's ruling.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/04/1349421/-Missouri-AG-Confirms-Michael-Brown-Grand-Jury-Misled-by-St-Louis-DA

Now there's a real unbiased source, eh?

Perhaps those with a different point of view might cite Front Page Magazine and the John Birch News to add balance to the posts here...whistling.gif

Edited by Boon Mee
  • Like 2

There is a stark contrast and difference between redneck or bubba and the N word, in that the N word has been unacceptable socio-culturally for decades, whereas the loose, informal, slang use of "redneck" and "bubba" are accepted and used every day in media and by everyday people. We laugh at these terms because people use them in various kinds of humor.

If you really think that humor makes hurling racial epithets more socially acceptable, I suggest that you go to YouTube and search Richard Pryor and Chris Rock. Racial slurs are racial slurs, no matter how amusing you may find them.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Not sure why focus only on red neck, I thought the term "whitey" in the manner in which Publicus used it and how it was directed was used in a demeaning or racial manner. It is not so much about the terms themselves, but the manner in which they are used or directed.

RE: My point about terms that was completely eluded.

Just be consistent. It is a double standard or reverse racism issue. Those terms as used by certain members, happens in the Muslim threads also, are being used in a racial derogatory manner toward whites from the US. Do I find it offensive, not really. This, however, does reflect the double standard and general acceptance if reverse racism at play here.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Interesting. More double standards from Obama/Holder and their administration.

--------

Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder is still waiting for a response to a letter, sent a week before Christmas, asking U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to release the findings of the Justice Department investigation into the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson.

In an interview Friday, Kinder said he remains hopeful he will receive a response and said the holiday might be partly to blame for the delay.

I think a lot of false narratives have been put out in the media and before the public, and I would just like to get the facts out, Kinder said to explain the letter.

http://m.columbiatribune.com/news/politics/kinder-letter-to-holder-on-ferguson-investigation-goes-unanswered/article_336c4f6c-73c1-5192-9a06-c8796f5da56e.html?comments=focus

--------

Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder is still waiting for a response to a letter, sent a week before Christmas, asking U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to release the findings of the Justice Department investigation into the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson.

In an interview Friday, Kinder said he remains hopeful he will receive a response and said the holiday might be partly to blame for the delay.

I think a lot of false narratives have been put out in the media and before the public, and I would just like to get the facts out, Kinder said to explain the letter.

http://m.columbiatribune.com/news/politics/kinder-letter-to-holder-on-ferguson-investigation-goes-unanswered/article_336c4f6c-73c1-5192-9a06-c8796f5da56e.html?comments=focus

DoJ is currently managing four separate and concurrent investigations of the police officers who shot and killed unarmed black citizens and is awaiting the outcome of a local investigation of a fifth case.

In three of the cases, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, John Crawford III, were killed by police officers who grand juries later decided not to indict on state criminal charges or on manslaughter charges.

Last Monday, the DOJ announced it would review a fourth death: that of Dontre Hamilton, who was shot 14 times by a police officer following a confrontation in a park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in April. The DoJ review was launched after the Milwaukee district attorney announced that Christopher Manney, the now fired police officer who shot the unarmed Hamilton will not be charged.

DoJ is awaiting results of a state and local investigation into the shooting death in Ohio of a 12 year old black boy, Tamir Rice as he played with a plastic gun in a park in Cleveland. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide...Tamir died the next day after being untreated at the scene until an FBI agent arrived four minutes after the shooting.

While federal law also protects police officers' use of deadly force, the US Attorneys in any federal test case that might be brought before a federal court under present circumstances are of the caliber of the US attorneys who successfully prosecute mafia bosses.

US attorneys are the federal lawyers who defeat in federal court jury trials the high priced criminal defense lawyers who knowingly defend the mafia dons against charges of premeditated murder in the first degree and of similar capital charges as well as other serious crimes. Mafia are in fact notoriously known for their code of silence yet federal investigators, prosecutors, judges get a number of them to sing.

Federal prosecutors in 2011 successfully jury tried 5 New Orleans police who had opened fire on unarmed black residents gathered on a bridge in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, one officer getting 65 years in prison. Again a local grand jury had not indicted the officers. A federal judge ordered a new trial after it was proved other attorneys in the US Attorney's office went internet online under usernames to criticize the police officers during and leading up to the trial.

Federal prosecutors in Los Angeles successfully prosecuted 5 police in the notorious 1991 Rodney King beating case after a local grand jury declined to indict. The successful federal prosecutions in New Orleans and Los Angeles occurred after considerable national outrage over the conduct of the particular police officers and under the federal "color of law" statute that says prosecutors don't have to prove racial bias, that intent to use more force than was necessary is the standard of prosecution and conviction.

The "color of law" statute remains a challenging statute for prosecutors to overcome to obtain conviction of police officers, but U.S. attorneys have done it and have done more in federal jury trials.

--------

Missouri LtGov Peter Kinder has been lieutenant governor since 2004 and along with his press release discussing his letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, the lieutenant governor issued a press release announcing the start of his campaign for re-election which will culminate in November 2016.

Kinder says he wants a response from the General but that Kinder understands that the holiday might be the reason he hasn't had a reply....this guy seems to like to see his name in the newspapers no matter how briefly and no matter how vacuously.

Meanwhile, the governor, attorney general, state legislature not to mention Eric Holder and the DoJ will enjoy the holidays and be back at it the first week of January.

Darren Wilson btw resigned from the Ferguson PD and was released without separation pay. Wilson's certification as a police officer is being challenged before the state board that decides these things.

Both are basically racist insults.

So just what race is a redneck?

It is only evident on white or Hispanic people so my guess would be those races.

The term is used derogatorily by those who consider themselves liberal elites. Most of the liberal elites have advanced educational qualifications (and little common sense) and generally consider themselves to be a cut above normal.

They usually consider anybody born and raised south of the Mason/Dixon line as being an uneducated red neck hillbilly...along with anybody born above the Mason/Dixon line that votes Republican.

In general, they are snobs.

As for me, I'm just a dumb old country boy from Texas...who would much rather have a red neck standing beside me in a fight than some Ivy League graduate.

As for me, I'm just a dumb old country boy from Texas...who would much rather have a red neck standing beside me in a fight than some Ivy League graduate.

Say there chief, whadda you know about Ivy League people...I'd bet you think none of 'em ever served in the military or played on the railroad tracks down by the sandlots ....

There is a big irony in the term 'civil rights' as it always seems to concern the perpetrators of crime rather than its victims. Though I suspect if the victims of crime marched it would be condemned as bigots, rednecks or vigilantes by some posters here.

• Like 1

There is a big irony in the term 'civil rights' as it always seems to concern the perpetrators of crime rather than its victims. Though I suspect if the victims of crime marched it would be condemned as bigots, rednecks or vigilantes by some posters here.

Double standards for sure. Some just refuse to accept that reality and play the victim card to compensate for their own shortcomings.

My sense is that I think the DoJ very much wants to prosecute in one of the four cases it is investigating, to include also a likely fifth case which is of the 12 year old Cleveland boy Tamir Rice. I think DoJ will go with the best one it believes it has, possibly two for a good measure. Trying for all five might not be wise or it just might press DoJ's prosecutorial resources too thinly.

The four currently being investigated are the killings of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, John Crawford III, Dontre Hamilton. All five were unarmed, most were shot multiple times.

I'm certainly not in a position to assess which single case or which two or three cases DoJ thinks it might have to go forward with and turn over to US Attorneys to press the charges at a jury trial or trials in a couple of the federal courts. US Attorneys are the guys who get the mafia dons convicted despite the dons' high powered criminal defense lawyers. O.J. Simpson beat the state's prosecutors easily but was nailed by the feds in the later jury trial and Simpson is but one of many tagged and bagged in court by the feds.

The Civil Rights statutes have the provision to charge police under the "color of law" provision. It says racial motive need not be proved or tested, and that the only standard of prosecution and conviction is the intentional overuse of deadly force. The standard in the law is not easy to prosecute but it's been done by US Attorneys on more than one occasion.

US Attorneys of DoJ convicted five officers of this charge in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and also convicted five officers of the beating of Rodney King. One cop got 65 years in the big house.