My feelings about Thailand

roego

Maybe these people should try other parts of Thailand? Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket... not really Thailand.

Never been to any of those places; can't stand beaches and sand anywhere. Thailand's was once the nicest place to be in Indochina but its days are numbered. Places change and old standbys are replaced by new hungry pretenders. Cambodia and Vietnam are in full flower and Myanmar and Laos become more tempting too... if you want to stay in the most expensive and least friendly part of the region - that's awesome but others are moving on now.

We have all been saying the exact same things lately - After recent trips to laos and Cambodia the change is dramatic, They are much more morally aware and if you ask me, more educated too.
I see a lot of positive reasons to consider leaving Thailand soon for neighbouring countries, My favourites are Vientienne and Cambodia, as they are becoming more civilized.

Good Luck to Vietnam or Cambodia.

It's up to you where-ever you go.

And don't be so serious with Thai Visa letter, cause I also got it, and just posted something a few minutes ago. So they don't miss you here so much ...

I for one would be interested to see other peoples feelings about this topic instead of the usual smartass replies. I've spent a long time in the Philippines and to be fair, Filipinos are in a completely different league. Go into a shop or restaurant and you will experience first class service and politeness, not some sullen face stuck in smart phone. I came to Thailand with a view to settle but I'm having second thoughts. I would welcome others experiences of Cambodia and Vietnam.

This my first comment here and I doubt I will need to ever say anything else.

To: Whomever may be or is interested in my experiences.

Written October 30, 2014.

I stopped bothering to keep anymore notes after October 2014.

I am a retired Native North American Indian, a disabled U.S. Military Veteran, Instructor and Law Enforcement. I had saved up and planned for 12 years to move and retire in Thailand, only to realize it was all one big mistake. I came to the kingdom of Thailand for the first time to enjoy living a quiet relaxed stress free life, lifestyle and the beaches. Since I do not; run the Bars or Clubs, chase women, use drugs, get drunk and very rarely even drink. Yet I now find myself being targeted by most of the Thais that I talk to every time I go outside my front door.

It seems Thais think as most Asians do, that all Foreigners are rich and are walking ATM machines for their use. But Thais fell it’s their special right to scams, lies, cheat or tricks as much money as they can out of Foreigners. I had even observed that most Thais famous smiles usually are fake, unless you are handing over money to them. It is common that Thais attitude is to never admit any other Thais commit any crimes or does anything wrong. Thais hear no evil or see no evil, if it done to a Foreigners or Foreigner dies by other Thai unless it is a poor Thai. It seemed many if not most Thais only learn other languages in hopes of or trying to get rich or gain power. So many Thais solely learn other languages to lie cheat trick or scam as much as they can out of foreigners they can. Thai women often learn languages with hopes of getting rich quick off marrying an older foreigners. Regrettably, I’ve personally witnessed way too many of those kinds of Thai women mentally abusing Foreigner men for just their money in public. Unfortunately as in most Asian countries most non-Asians men don’t realize when entering into relationship with as Asian woman. He is not only be expected to improve and support her life, but also her whole family too. I have come to believe; 1. Thai women do not know how to love a foreigner as a man, they only love his money and/or getting power. 2. Why should Thais be honest? Thais honestly believe Thais can be forgiven for anything they do including murder. All Thais have to do is confess and show they repent (or act-like they do in public) as Buddhist in the Thai culture it is to be forgiven?

Which was why I mainly decided not to allow any Thai women to get close to me, to avoid getting caught up in that kind of Thai entanglements, scams or tricks to get money out of me or kill me for money.

My first day I experience was in a 7-11 while buying mints. A well-dressed Thai man in a hurry in line volunteer and translated to the Cashier. He then turned and asked me for a 20 Bath tip. After that I have actually come to pity the Foreigners living here. Many Foreigners have manage to stay in Thailand for years on work Visa or education Visas, learning the Thai Language or other schools, until they reached their retirement age. Also many foreigners have learned to deal with this situation by getting lost in their own private mental escape. In whatever purposes they could find; working jobs, charity work, schools, sightseeing, exercise, internet, sex and alcohol. The rare lucky ones with harmony and equilibrium in their Thai families, usually achieve it by submission, giving everything they have to their Thais families.

Below is a list of other things that have been done or said to me in Thailand. It should answer your questions as to why I now feel this way in less than 2 years of living in Thailand.

Personally now I just smile quietly laughing at all the absurdity of Thais and living in Thailand.

Unluckily since deciding to leave I found I need to save up enough to move easily and comfortably. Unless there’s an emergency where I would need to leave or get the heck out of Thailand faster.

Since arrival in Thailand, I’ve become tired of seeing the way Thai people treat other Foreigners & me;

1.) I found I could not relax on Pattaya Beach or any Beaches, with the rude way Thais always loudly talk or start yelling loudly around me sleeping. Or the way Thai vender and merchants always wake me trying to force me to buy their over-priced products or services. I have learned to carry ear plugs to play music to sleep or ignore their rudeness until I can afford to leave here.

2.) Buy me, give me or where is my Tip, when I already paid or they have not done anything for a Tip.

3.) When Thais actions and words show Thais don’t respect any Farang that we have to respect Thais.

4.) If we don’t like Thailand, we can leave Thailand. When I have not done or said anything to them?

5.) Or, Thailand is for Thai people not for (you, Farang = Foreigner or Farangs = Foreigners).

I’ve even had three different TRP (Thailand Royal Police) Officers threaten insult and/or say to me;

6.) A TRP gave me a false accident report he signed, not admit that a Thai Truck Driver hit me.

a. The TRP Officer said, If I don’t like the accident report saying no one’s fault, I can leave Thailand. See statement on following page of incident.

7.) When my cellphone with cp tracker on it was stolen a TRP Police Officer told me.

a. He would only go with me to get my phone back if I paid him 8,000 Baht. I said No Thanks.

(8,000 Baht was more than I had paid for the Cellphone.)

When I received a Traffic ticket and went to the police station to pay and pick up my Driver’s license.

8.) a. One TRP Officer asked me. How did I passed Thai Driver’s License test without any Thai Help?

(I just smiled and replied, Common sense I have been driving overseas for years now.)

b. The TRP Officer asked, Why you don’t have Thai woman this is Thailand, you need Thai?

(I smiled again and replied, I came to Thailand for a relax life not to be worried to death.)

c. Then when the TRP Officer asked me how much I paid for my license.

(I answered I paid 258 Baht for License) The TRP Officer accused me of saying 2,000 Baht?

d. The way TRP said. “I will see you around”. I felt his intimidation as if he thought of me as a criminal?

If you want to call it discrimination or racism you can? I simply call it Thai uncompromising egotistical arrogant rude behavior and the money loving attitudes of the most Thai people. Once I had realized that I decided to vote with my feet by spending my retirement and money elsewhere.

As for the accident on July 1, 2014. I had been riding about a yard and a half inside the center line. When a Truck pulling out against traffic going the oboist direction. Suddenly lunged forward striking my bike, and my passenger’s leg/calf. Knocking me, my motorbike and my passenger over in the middle of the street lane. After I checking my Passenger and got my passenger out of the street onto the sidewalk. The truck driver had only stopped because traffic going the other way was too heavy and wouldn’t let him in. I went to the Truck driver’s door and opened it. Making him wait along with me until 5 uniformed TRP officer arrived on the scene. The TRP Officers called for an Ambulance to take my Passenger to Pattaya Memorial Hospital. The TRP Officers also to the driver’s and my information and let the driver go.

By the time I got to the Hospital Mary was already in the Hospital Emergency Room when I caught up. Mary told me seriously that the Thai trained Emergence Room Nurse informed her Blood Pressure was 140/90. Along with how afraid she was of being treated by the Thai trained Medical Staff in the Hospital. Not one of the Hospital staff in the Emergency Room ever offered or provided Mary a pillow while she laid on the flat gurney. After having the Emergence Room RN told Mary that her blood pressure was normal at 140/90 for a 5’-2”, 50 kilo Asian woman?

When the Emergence Room Doctor call me to discuss her required treatment and x-rays. He did not seem very well trained or able to read Mary’s x-rays. I had to point out some things to him. When I questioned the medications he was planning to give Mary was too strong for her for her size. Mary had told me it was just a tromping type pain or pains. He quickly agreed and changed it to something milder 6 Arcoxia, 90mg tabs. Which also proved to be too strong for Mary and she only took 2 tabs of the 6 tabs. The Vitamins prescript Mary did not trust either.

Oh, I forgot to say Mary is also a trained Nurse, which she also did no mention to any of them.

When I went to pay for the bills of around 3,800 baht and asked for an itemized list in English both the cashier and supervising Nurse had refused to provide one to me. The supervising Nurse gave me one of the Thai famous fake smiles and said to me as if she were talking to a child, ”Secret”. I had never felt more insulted, by a so called professional Hospital worker, a Thai RN Nurse too. Along with easily becoming able to fully understand Mary’s feeling and fear of being left there in the Thai Hospital’s care. I was never reimbursed for Mary’s medical bill thanks to the TRP (Thailand Royal Police) Officer’s

Signed accident report.

I come to believe and think after reading the Thai-Visa News here in Thailand. That most Thais believe, think and feel this Thai-ness in Thailand. Thai-ness is;

1. Thais don’t have respect for or have any concern for anyone feelings with less status or money.

2. Thais refuse to admit their mistakes always blaming others, or of Thais ever do anything wrong.

3. Thais believe in a class system where the more powerful or higher ranking is never questioned.

4. Thais have an undying superior complex no reason/compromise only truly trusting other Thais.

5. Thais love wasting showing off how much more they have and can do than others, even Thais.

6. Most Thais always boastful to be first feeling overly superior, egotistical arrogant and prideful.

7. Most Thais use family members, love and relationship valuing only money status and power.

8. Thai education system doesn’t allow open discussion or talking back to superior or betters.

9. Thais believe in a status system of looking down on everyone below or lower than they are.

10. As Buddhist, Thais can be forgiven for anything they do, if they publicly show remorse.

Thais do not call foreigners, foreigners. Thais call all Foreigners Farang usually in an insulting way.

11. Most Thais believe Thailand is for Thais not Foreigners, unless the Foreigner pays them to stay.

12. Most Thais double standards one low for Thais and another higher over charging all Foreigners.

13. Thais usually have a fake smile, I’ve only seen a real Thai smile when handing Thais money.

14. If anything happens between any Thai and any Foreigner the Thai should always be paid. (Thais believe if the Foreigner had not come to Thailand whatever happen would not have happened. So the Foreigner must be the one to pay, even if it is a Thai’s fault.)

15. Thais believe it’s every Thai right to lie cheat and scam as much as they can out of every Foreigner. Some believe it’s their right to even kill foreigners and not to be punished harshly.

16. Most Thais women only marry foreigners for money, status and power waiting for them to die.

17. Thai women don’t talk back to Thai men, but Thai women will argue, fight even kill foreign men.

18. Foreigner only have the right to is to waste, spend and pay money to stay in Thailand.

19. Thais believe all Foreigners are rich with money to waste.

20. There is no such thing as REAL FEEDOM in Thailand is not a democracy it is a Monarchy!

All Foreigners visiting or living in Thailand better learn and not forget any of the above.

Oh Thailand does not have to worry. I will only be returning once for one day to close bank accounts and take care of any unpaid bills.. After that trip I will not be returning to Thailand either. May GOD protect those of you who are staying or already hooked and trapped. Because I doubt Buddha or the coconut tree will... Truth is truth... Good Luck!

Oh Man, I guess you lost and didn't find yet your medicine ...

• Like 1

i hated cambodia, especially cambodian men. they have this smile that i have never seen before. its not the same as thais or other areas.

it probably has to do much with my interpretation, but the smile coupled with the constant touting really put me off. im also certain there was an erotic undertone in many cases.

so much so that i decided based on this reason that it was not a satisfactory long term living option. immigration asking for a bribe at phenom pehn airport when departing was also a nail in the coffin.

even vietnam where the touting can be worse and the attitude less accomadating was preferable. laos was also great, liked the people there.

You must understand that the Thai Smile is the first step in separating you from your dosh

If you are done with Thailand, why bother to post on TV?

Do you expect those who love it here to join you?

Bye bye!

Willy,

I think its a good thing for him to post on here.

This is a venue to discuss our own personal feelings about Thailand. Good or Bad I think its welcome.

Its also good to get someone else's experience in adjacent country's as I have asked myself several times where would I go as the Thai Magic dissipates from my life.

Having first ventured to Thailand at 21/22 years ago so long ago I cant remember exactly, I like many others on here have witnessed the slow demise of the "Thai Smile". We now witness horrific attacks

on foreigners (Falang) on an almost daily basis, police shake downs and a whole host of others problems for us to deal with whilst in Thailand.

If out of our discussions we can find some Magic then its very welcome and perhaps we could have an LV or a CV rather than a TV to discuss how are days been while we prop up the beer bars and chat with little Honeys.

Or perhaps in your case wander down Pattayaland 1..... Horses for courses and I make no judgement.

If you are done with Thailand, why bother to post on TV?

Do you expect those who love it here to join you?

Bye bye!

I once thought I would love to live in Thailand, that was back in the early 70's. Thailand is so polluted, corrupted, and against any foreigner that I would not live here either!!! I visit my son and grandson here in Thailand and every year it gets worse. The immigration and the BIB are always changing the rules year to year and it seems like they do not want foreigners here. By the way my wife is Thai and I met and married her in America. After her parents died even she does not want to come here. Now with her Parkinsons it is way better for her in America. At least the Docs in the US have a computer system to check before they prescribe meds. I had a shoulder problem and gave the doc here at Bangkok Hospital a list of my medications. he prescribed 400mg of Celbrex which I checked first with Web Md in America, then called my family doctor. He confirmed had I taken that med with my blood pressure meds, I would of had aheart attack. If you want to be a drunk and run the hookers then that is fine for you!!! I don't need a daughter looking girl friend or wife to make me feel good!!!! The only reason my son uses Thailand as his temporary residence is its proxcimity to his work. After being here for 5 years even he is looking to other countries in the Orient. Enjoy your life here in LOS but watch your back and your money!!!!! w00t.gif

there is no law about charging farang. and you can not find a law which say it s illegal to charge twice a farang because it would be stupid to make laws against non existing laws.

all these double prices are just based on discrimination and are illegal by human rights conventions. problem is too many people believe rumours are laws and if nobody complaint , nothing is done and prices go up and up.!!!

I think I figured out the dual pricing.

The Thais probably figure, "Gee, if the Farang is smart- he could possibly be smart enough to run like Hell and never return to Thailand! Especially once he sees it's all just smoke and mirrors anyway! So shit! We better charge the Farang double price as fast as we can!"

I have a policy in life that in simplistic form.... If I go to cafe or whatever in AU and not happy, I very rarely complain. I pay bill and leave.

What is all the moaning about Thailand.

Just damn well leave.... Take your observations with you.

I'm sure the rest of us will figure it out.

I wonder if there is an xpat community in say USA moaning and saying they would be much happier in Canada. Just nick off and stop bitching

• Like 1

Just a side note on the rubbish posted about double pricing... Thai travel on trains free ...example Kanchanaburri to bkk Zero for my gf. 100 baht for me Mr Farang. Boo hoo ...you big sooks. Go back to farang world and pay 10 times that. Get with programme or go home

• Like 1

Just a side note on the rubbish posted about double pricing... Thai travel on trains free ...example Kanchanaburri to bkk Zero for my gf. 100 baht for me Mr Farang. Boo hoo ...you big sooks. Go back to farang world and pay 10 times that. Get with programme or go home

Deleted.

Note to self.....control control.

Edited by benalibina

bena....Don't try and be cryptic ...I hope that is not a reference to the obvious. I repeat. Add to the op or following discussion directly or move on.

I see now that i did the right thing to delete my previous comment. It did not do you justice completely. You are a funny guy and i enjoy reading your posts. Even when you come, as per above, across as somewhat bossy.

Others coming and living longer to/in Thailand will know what i meant with my previous post. You need to find it out yourself. The moment will come that you understand my comment. For now just enjoy your happy travels. Wish you well.