Thai village evicts 48 HIV patients

webfact

So what's it like there now?

Tense?

Imagine if you're in the HIV house knowing what your "neighbors" just did.

It's not clear what the real story is. How can villagers "evict" this organization? Who is not renewing/ cancelling what lease with whom? How much is this really an initiative of the neighbours? Hard to say.

Assuming most of these patients were druggies or prostitutes, I can see the villagers point.

Maybe they don't like living near criminal types.

48 criminals added in a community of 161 villagers isn't all that nice.

Another fine piece of stereotyping from Thaivisa's finest!!

The villagers excuse could be lack of education, what is your excuse??

For your information: Most female Thai aids-victims contract the decease from their husbands !!

• Like 2

Not really astonished.

I know a similar story in the west, when they planned to build a hospital for mentally challenged people.

It's more than often a similar attitude in the west:

"Holy St. Florian, spare my house, lit other houses. .."

Not sure about which country In The West you're referring to, but any report of discrimination based on health, physical or otherwise, is immediately shot down. Not so here.

Posters, please desist comparing those who've learned empathy (there) and those who have not (here). And keep the Thai Mantra always close to your heart. 'Money is GOD, Money IS GOD, MONEY IS GOD.

Thai and farang alike.

• Like 1

Ahhh, Thainess at it's best.

Seriously, what is this country coming to?

Yeah houses full of Aids victims are welcomed with open arms in every other country on the planet, what is wrong with this place ?

Bet you can't wait to leave.

Clearly, the Thais are not the only ones, who need to get educated!!

Some people are evidently still living in the dark ages!!

This is quite sad really but the reality is if the Thai people were not getting money from falangs visiting here they wouldn't want you here either, it is a myth that they like us - it is a balance of tolerance and income

I'd love to see the conditions in this so called village that took the vote - most if not all of us wouldn't want that located next to our residence either, it would be interesting to see if the villagers residing in this place have a legal right to occupy the land they are on - perhaps an investigation by the local authorities might reveal who is actually legally resident

Edited by smedly

Thai tollerance at its best. "We do not hate them" it's all about land values and money. So if it is having an effect on land values, that the HIV patients are living there, clearly the villagers are not alone in their "values". Its a Thai thing perhaps.

So they can all come to stay at your house ?

In the small village I live in, some 300+ people, there aee at least 20+ people who have HIV. Most of them are coping well, thanks to the availability of retroviral medication, unfortunately some of the meet an early death each year. Regretably, due to lack of education regarding HIV, there are still more people being infected, especially teens.

So I dont have an issue with people suffering from HIV, DO YOU?

At least ten years ago, the wife of a farang neighbour told me her elderly mother was lamenting the fact that in her village close to Chiang Rai there were now only old people as the young had already contracted HIV and died. TEN years ago w00t.gif And I remember also a young Thai telling me 'No, Noon have HIV before, but he okay now'. He died. Another farang told me, 'They (the Thai government,) tell them nothing. Sad.

Have no idea about the referenced facility, but yesterdays news report said that some of the villiage residents wanted them sent anywhere but where they are. How large is the village population? The paitent count and the monks in local temple count is likey more in number than the number voting.

It may be the only ones counted for banning them were those who voted as the pollister wanted. I have real questions about buddism as practiced but this sounds like a real stupid tree dropout pollister, and he/she must have every branch on the way down. Has to be a new low in human thinking and action.

Someone should design a welcome to village sign to place at both ends of main street and make it big, lighted and high enough, a sky hook would be required to access it, just to discourge vandals.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 1

It's not such an uncommon practice in developing and developed countries.......in reality, many communities do not want HIV infected people around their families......we all understand that HIV is quite manageable in this day and age, but for some it is fearful.

My experience in PNG and other pacific islands, is that infected people are simply not welcome and are often "dumped" at hospitals........very sad.

It's not such an uncommon practice in developing and developed countries.......in reality, many communities do not want HIV infected people around their families......we all understand that HIV is quite manageable in this day and age, but for some it is fearful.

My experience in PNG and other pacific islands, is that infected people are simply not welcome and are often "dumped" at hospitals........very sad.

Good Lord. That discussion completely derailed. coffee1.gif

I agree.

I'm an atheist actually but I think you don't need any religion to know some basic ethics about treating other human beings decently and with compassion.

I do know most expats posting here probably identify as Christian and most Thais identify as Buddhist and you would think people from both of those religious traditions would understand that too.

Religion is one of the few things powerful enough to come between thinking people and their natural compassionate instincts. Devoting 10 seconds consideration to the historic influence of the worlds "great" religions on the treatment of HIV carriers worldwide should be sufficient to confirm this.

All one needs to figure out "basic ethics" in this case is sufficient brainpower to imagine how we would wish to be treated if we were ourselves HIV carriers. And while many people fail to meet this standard, we can take solace in the fact that many do not.

Whenever the topic of HIV/AIDS is raised on this forum, (and there are many), the ostriches, predominantly hetero but with a smattering of homo are out busily paddling their canoes up De Nile. Fact is, it's still a major problem in this country, (albeit treatments have become more sophisticated). Get used to it.

Assuming most of these patients were druggies or prostitutes, I can see the villagers point.

Maybe they don't like living near criminal types.

48 criminals added in a community of 161 villagers isn't all that nice.

And assuming they were none of those people in your vile comment what then?

Judge no one unless others judge you.

That is my quote not anything religious.

Would you lil to visit a GP and he criticize you and refuse to treat you because of non approval of your lifestyle?????

• Like 1