Trouble with immigration

Jomtien cannot do visa conversions now.

Bangkok will not do the visa conversion and extension at the same time. Just to get the visa stamp in Bangkok will require 2 trips.

About 45 days after you apply for the visa you can do the extension at Jomtien.

You will have to apply in Bangkok (or Hat Yai) for the conversion with at least 15 days left on your permision to stay. 15 days latter you have to return to immigraiton to get the actual conversion. 45 days later you cna apply for your 1 year extension of stay.

Might be easier to just get a new non-O visa in a neigbouring country.

OP, I'll leave the O visa question to UJ - I thought mine was an O-A but I got everything on the same day at Jomtien - but I just want to make a couple of points:

- the 90-day stamp you were given in Malaysia wasn't a visa - it's a visa exemption, just like the 30-day exemption you were granted at DM on your return. Note also that the stamps probably restricted you to Peninsular Malaysia - no biggie in your case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Malaysia#90_days

- Malaysia and Singapore don't seem to care about people flying in and back out on the same day, but I was grilled and searched by Customs in Japan when I flew into Tokyo from Seoul for only 3 nights in the country. I was also under the impression that Thai Immigration prefer that you leave the country for several days, but after the crackdown those old stamps seemed to be of greater interest to them.

Glad you got back in OK and good luck with your application.

Jomtien cannot do visa conversions now.

Bangkok will not do the visa conversion and extension at the same time. Just to get the visa stamp in Bangkok will require 2 trips.

About 45 days after you apply for the visa you can do the extension at Jomtien.

So it's 2 trips to Bangkok for the O visa and there must be at least 15 days let on my 30 day exemption? Then after 45 days on the O visa I can go the Jomtien office and do the 1-year retirement extension?

It is two trips about 15 days apart. You apply on the first trip a pay the 2000 baht fee the 2nd trip they stamp the visa and 90 entry (it will be dated from the date your applied) in your passport. That is one of the reasons the want 15 days remaining on your entry. But if you have under 15 days they will have you apply for a 30 day extension (1900 baht) and do the conversion as soon as you have the extension.

You can do the extension at Jomtien during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry,

It is two trips about 15 days apart. You apply on the first trip a pay the 2000 baht fee the 2nd trip they stamp the visa and 90 entry (it will be dated from the date your applied) in your passport. That is one of the reasons the want 15 days remaining on your entry. But if you have under 15 days they will have you apply for a 30 day extension (1900 baht) and do the conversion as soon as you have the extension.

You can do the extension at Jomtien during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry,

Thank again.

It seems that I'll need a photo, 2 copies of the application, my passport and the 2000 baht. Do I also need a letter from the bank and my passbook for the O visa or only for the retirement extension? Also something to show where I live.?

I understand that this probably pinned somewhere in the forum, but I just wanted to make sure I've got the most current info.

You will just need one TM87 form with an attached photo. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm87.pdf or http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm87.doc

You will need copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

You will need the bank letter confirming your balance and that the funds came from abroad and updated bank book copies.

You will not need proof of residence.

You will just need one TM87 form with an attached photo. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm87.pdf or http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm87.doc

You will need copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

You will need the bank letter confirming your balance and that the funds came from abroad and updated bank book copies.

Great. And adding the form links is a nice touch.

I feel confident and ready to face the process.

I just noticed this. The funds did not come from abroad because they were earned in Thailand over the years. If that doesn't qualify, I could bring in the funds from abroad but I seriously don't wan't to. I have most of my income tax records to show the money I have here was all legally earned.

If I have to bring in funds on top of what I've already got here, I'm really going to start thinking about how much more I want to go through to get an O visa. If it was summer at home, I'd just go there for a while and give the idea of continuing to live in Thailand a lot of serious thought.

Had a nearly identical problem with Vientiane Embassy in 2011. Not the nicest way to thank you for years of service to Thailand to then turn around and deny you a tourist visa and say as my officer did "You don't need to take a holiday in Thailand, you can do that in Vietnam or Laos." You might think that they might have been worried I'd abuse the tourist visa and try to work. I offered to show them a copy of my email confirming a job in Indonesia in two months time, "No need sir."

If you can show proof the funds were earned here that will be accepted. Also having them in the bank for a period of time will get around it also.

They want the transfer proof since there is no requirement for the money to be in the bank for any amount of time. That is meant to prevent somebody from just borrowing the money to apply for the visa.

If you can show proof the funds were earned here that will be accepted. Also having them in the bank for a period of time will get around it also.

They want the transfer proof since there is no requirement for the money to be in the bank for any amount of time. That is meant to prevent somebody from just borrowing the money to apply for the visa.

So it's the idea of making sure the money wasn't "borrowed" like some of the shadier visa services offer? They must get around this some way, though. Maybe done by using overseas accounts.

My passbook for the account I'm going to use confirms the money has been there for well over a year. Originally a term deposit but just a standard savings account right now. I'll do a TD or something like that once the visa and extension are complete. This money was taken from the account at another bank where my pay was deposited. The passbooks show all these transactions.

Edited by Inbetween

Had a nearly identical problem with Vientiane Embassy in 2011. Not the nicest way to thank you for years of service to Thailand to then turn around and deny you a tourist visa and say as my officer did "You don't need to take a holiday in Thailand, you can do that in Vietnam or Laos." You might think that they might have been worried I'd abuse the tourist visa and try to work. I offered to show them a copy of my email confirming a job in Indonesia in two months time, "No need sir."

Mine isn't the same situation of going to an embassy and being denied a visa. Leaving the country actually got me what I needed, but I can see that the identical part of our situations you're talking about is being treated suspiciously and put through the hoops to stay here after working for several years. Isn't it logical that you've made contacts and acquired things that you want to continue to enjoy?

I've caused no trouble and actually tried to make a contribution to Thai society, but now my reward is to pay a lot of money and go through a lot of trouble to continue living here spending my money. When will logic appear in the immigration/visa process?

Edited by Inbetween

Chaeng Wattana immigration is the only office you can use. Map and other info: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html

Thanks man! By now everything must be covered here for this topic.

Hopefully it can be helpful to other people.

We might as well be thorough.

From what I found, getting there seems best by taking the BTS to Mo Chit and a taxi from there or going on the MRT to Chatuchak Park and using a taxi or minivan service.

Does anybody have suggestions? What's the taxi fare from Mo Chit? The information I saw said there was a minivan service from Chatuchak Park for 25 baht. I think the same source said the 1/2 hour ride from Mo Chit was 100 baht, but sounds too cheap.

If you are traveling from Pattaya I suggest you take the bus to Mo Chit from the bus station on north Pattaya road.

The 100 baht taxi fare from Mo Chit sounds about right.

Well that's got to be all the info I or anyone could possibly need.

I didn't know about the bus to Mo Chit from North Pattaya.

I'll resist asking which food kiosk to eat at or where the lavatories at located at Chaeng Wattana immigration building. 555

If you are traveling from Pattaya I suggest you take the bus to Mo Chit from the bus station on north Pattaya road.

The 100 baht taxi fare from Mo Chit sounds about right.

Well that's got to be all the info I or anyone could possibly need.

I didn't know about the bus to Mo Chit from North Pattaya.

I'll resist asking which food kiosk to eat at or where the lavatories at located at Chaeng Wattana immigration building. 555

Have you even been to Thailand before? From all your questions, it seems you have allot to learn. Be forewarned that the learning curve for new expatriates is very steep.

Word of caution, I am sat at KLIA on my way back to thailand, and thai air made me buy a ticket out of thailand, as I had no visa and was entering as a tourist. They told me under new rules I had to have a flight out. I have been living in thailand 12 years now, 28/28, and come as a tourist! I only ever spend 18-24 days here due to travel to Brazil for work! I was asked once before for a ticket out, some 5 years ago, but blagged it! I had to buy a ticket, bought one to KL!

Have enquire about a visa before, but I am not in the country long enough to get one? Brit, 61, and married, so yes I can get one, just need the time!

Word of caution, I am sat at KLIA on my way back to thailand, and thai air made me buy a ticket out of thailand, as I had no visa and was entering as a tourist. They told me under new rules I had to have a flight out. I have been living in thailand 12 years now, 28/28, and come as a tourist! I only ever spend 18-24 days here due to travel to Brazil for work! I was asked once before for a ticket out, some 5 years ago, but blagged it! I had to buy a ticket, bought one to KL!

Have enquire about a visa before, but I am not in the country long enough to get one? Brit, 61, and married, so yes I can get one, just need the time!

The ticket requirement it is not a new rule. In your case the best would be a getting a multiple entry visa in Savannakhet Laos. It takes two days including travel at most.

• Like 1

Bb1 that is a condition of the tourist visa, on arrival, you have a ticket out of the country!

With a visa, inlcusing a tourist visa, you do not need to have a ticket out of the country.

Without a visa (in essence a visa exempt entry or a visa on arrival) you do need to have proof of onward travel within 30 days respectively 15 days.

The reason for being refused exit may be an income-tax issue.

In the past (and maybe present) you must be able to show sufficient evidence of paid income-taxes.

If you book AirAsia there is also the "insurance-option". You have to un-check and confirm twice to save another THB 250.

One poster went to Hong Kong, didn't pass HKG immigration and returned to Bangkok. Although he did have 2 boarding passes as prove of travel he could have had a problem upon entering Thailand: the passport didn't show entering/exiting another country.

I don't think labour, the tax department and immigration are linked, and the days of having to prove payment of income taxes before being allowed to leave are long gone. That note disappeared from the arrival/departure cards long ago too. Generally speaking leaving overland after having cancelled your extension of stay is perfectly fine - I did it back on the last day of January this year to Cambodia, no problems whatsoever. My last day to stay was the 1st of Feb (as that was the date of termination of my employment, according to the letter I provided) and I did not seek a 7-day extension because I thought it would be a waste of money when I would have to leave at some point anyway. So obviously the idea was that I left and returned in order to finish my work visa, get on a tourist visa in the meantime and see what happens next. Now I'm back on a non-B but multi entry which doesn't have this issue. If you're terminated it doesn't matter, because the visa doesn't end when your work ends on a non-B multi visa.

Anyway, to your second point, what problems could there possibly be with Thai immigration? First of all, Hong Kong no longer stamps passports of anyone. It stopped the practice last year I think it was and now only gives you a sheet of paper with your immigration obligations listed and of course your entry will be recorded electronically. Therefore, whether you pass through immigration or not doesn't matter because the only record you will receive is an electronic one. There is no physical record of your stay in your passport because Hong Kong has moved into the 21st century and doesn't do the old fashioned stamping anymore.

Therefore, unless Thai immigration can access the electronic database of another country's immigration department (highly doubtful) they will have no ability to know where you have been by checking your passport, and of course they don't care. Many other countries also do not stamp the passports of their nationals or of any foreign nationals. Some only stamp passports on entry but not on exit such as the USA and Canada. I've also noticed a trend in Australia to only stamp foreign passports on arrival (and possibly in some cases this is not even done anymore) but NOT on departure, despite passports being screened. This is in addition to the electronic visas that are now issued to most non-citizens. Therefore there is no physical record of having visited Australia or at most only a record to show you have entered.

Imagine if Thai immigration asked a Thai national who has just returned to Australia why they don't have any Aussie visas or stamps. Well that's because everything is electronic now!

Other countries such as the USA and Canada are similar - at most an entry stamp upon arrival but no passport checks at all upon departure, let alone a stamp. Of course citizens of those countries do not receive even an entry stamp.

European countries are quite similar - no stamps of any kind for European citizens, but possibly only an entry stamp for non-European visitors.

Also, let's not forget the large number of dual citizens who travel with more than one passport such as myself. I often use one passport to enter/exit one country, then make a switch "in the air" and use another passport when I land in the next country. I do this so I can save pages in one passport, or because a visa is present in another, or because one country gives me visa free access if I enter on that passport but not on my other ones etc.

A large number of people worldwide, including many of the posters here on ThaiVisa are dual citizens and thus find themselves in the same situation. Therefore even if a given country stamps their passport, when they re-enter Thailand using a different passport the stamps of the previous country would be in the other one. But anyway it's often not as simple as having come from popular countries with many daily flights to/from Thailand such as Hong Kong, Malaysia or Australia. Even if Thai immigration is familiar with stamps and visas from these countries, maybe you only transited those countries on your way from Mali, Nigeria, Panama or Vanuatu, for example. Thai immigration would certainly have no idea what to look for, for anyone arriving from countries like that.