The Amount Of Single People In Thailand Is Likely To Increase

george

The amount of single people in Thailand is likely to increase

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security is concerned that the number of unmarried people in Thailand is likely to increase, which can cause the number of single elder people in the future.

Mr. Suchit Tripitak (สุจิตต์ ไตรพิทักษ์) said that currently, the number of single women is about 44 percent and the figure tends to increase in the future. He said that this is resulted from the changing roles of women, and they are not very worried if they have to live by themselves. He added that the women’s attitudes toward have changed and they also have negative attitudes toward men.

He said that Thailand’s society in the future will be like Singapore’s, and Thailand has to issue some policies like its neighboring country to support its people to raise their own families.

--Thaisnews.com 2006-08-10

He said that this is resulted from the changing roles of women, and they are not very worried if they have to live by themselves.

Right. A few years ago the Bangkok Post did an article on this. All the women they interviewed had either a female "boyfriend" or a farang boyfriend - and all were happy. :o

The amount of single people in Thailand is likely to increase

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security is concerned that the number of unmarried people in Thailand is likely to increase, which can cause the number of single elder people in the future.

Mr. Suchit Tripitak (สุจิตต์ ไตรพิทักษ์) said that currently, the number of single women is about 44 percent and the figure tends to increase in the future. He said that this is resulted from the changing roles of women, and they are not very worried if they have to live by themselves. He added that the women’s attitudes toward have changed and they also have negative attitudes toward men.

He said that Thailand’s society in the future will be like Singapore’s, and Thailand has to issue some policies like its neighboring country to support its people to raise their own families.

--Thaisnews.com 2006-08-10

44 % single women and on the increase? What a shame, must do st about that! (Making mental note to do my bit to help ease the gathering crisis). :o

I find a figure of 44% unmarried women rather hard to believe.

How many singe men are there?

Are the figures skewed by the fact that many Thais live as man and wife

without registering their relationship? Many have the Buddhist ceremony but do not worry about the legal side.

It's a story that reappears every now and then with a slightly different slant. Usually the point made is related to relative educational levels, that the domination of the Thai university system by women is increasing rapidly and that educated Thai women have more and more difficulty finding equally educated Thai men to marry.

The entering law class at Chula was one example used the last time the story surfaced. I can't recall the figures exactly, but the breakdown went from something like 45% female ten years ago to over 90% female today. This is rapidly becoming a society of educated women and male motorcycle taxi drivers (and strutting, preening male politicians, of course, who are just about equally productive).

Edited by OldAsiaHand

An increase in umarried women as a percentage of population seems to be a feature of an industrializing country. This does not surprise me much.

I'm more concerned about the comment from K. Suchit in which he says that Thailand's society will become more like Singapore's in the future.

I think Mr Suchit has got it completely wrong in predicting that Thai society will become more like Singapore's.

Bangkok's might do, but rural Thailand's won't. Simply because there is no rural Singapore and can never be.

Actually, I doubt if Bangkok's society will follow Singapore's. I think it more likely that a lot of the present Bangkok society will quietly move to rural Thailand as jobs disappear when the manufacture-for-export ceases to be competitive in the face of rising oil prices and rising Chinese industrialisation.

As to Thai ladies finding husbands, I would expect there to be more and more retiree farang men coming here to escape winter heating bills, as the price of oil, gas and electricity goes up!!!

Changing demographic trends are like a freight training rushing into town before people even heart it coming. You've got more educated women; you've got a fertility rate that is already below replacement level; you've got millions of rural elderly couples with only a few descendants to support them; millions more rural, middle-aged couples with no pension and few descendants, etc.

As a teacher in Thailand, I thought that birth control would limit the student population and eventually decrease the number of students per class. But the MoE refuses to allow enough new hires to replace those who retire or quit, and they wouldn't want to build a million new classrooms, anyway.

Let's not trust this government any more than we should trust our native country's govt.