Nazi imagery as cool Thai fashion

GoldenTriangle

The Thai greeting Sawadee comes from the same root - swastika

Really smile.png Where did you find that gem ?

The word “swastika” is derived from the Sanskrit “svastika” which refers to “well-being” and “good luck”.

Edited by woolf

A well meaning woman pointed out to me, as I was already fully aware, the swastika in the sticker on the motorcycle is the reverse of what the Nazis used. Talk about missing the point.

Yes but who missed the point?

Is this man's belief in luck or whatever that symbol represents to him any less than your

distaste for something it is similar to?

I note these topics always get a lot of mileage here on TV

But why? You have a different history than they do.

That is to accept or reject as you choose but it is rather surprising & you would expect what of this man?

Here they have something that looks like it but pre-dates it by thousands of years

Yes that symbol that may have been later reversed by some very bad people represents something different....To You

Let it go IMO

The Swastika in Asian Art

The right hand (clockwise) Swastika is used by these religions which

practice ahimsa (non-violence) since ancient times.

It should never be confused with the left-hand (counterclockwise)

Swastika adopted by Adolf Hitler for his Nazi movement.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

We also have to remember that in the World War 2 Thailand had a military alliance with Japan, which was a part of the Axis powers. And this includes Italy and Nazi Germany. But then , why put the sticker of the loser on the bike?

• Like 1

In the sixties in the USA Mao jackets and images of Mao were very popular. It's also useful to remember that the Nazis won the fashion war thanks to Hugo Boss who designed various military uniforms. The look was and is much more chic than the uniforms of the allies.

Wait till you start noticing the mudflaps on decorated lorries. I know one of them is a Gibb but there's another one who is pointing a gun. I haven't worked out who it is yet.

Persico, I think... but whoever it is, most Thais wouldn't know him from Hitler, and wouldn't give a hoot.

That looks like a symbol used by Hindus. It's a reverse image of the swastika. It used to be a high award in Scouting. (US=Boy Scouts).

I mentioned to a couple of Thai friends what Hitler did with any Asians found in the occupied countries. They were shocked.

Don't be too hard on the Thais. Their knowledge of foreign history is about as good as our's was of Thai history before we came here. The great majority have little knowledge of the geographical location of most Western countries. It's the same in Indonesia.

Thanks "masuk." I don't know how many times I've had to explain this to new arrivals who get their "loin cloths" in a knot over this issue. You are right about Indonesia, in Bali there were in fact TWO Restaurants proudly displaying the logo. "Swastika One" and "Swastika Two." This was quite a few years ago and they both did very good business.The owner told me the Swastika was regarded as a sign of Good Luck. Obviously, it was for him.

You wouldn't get very far with anti-Nazi rhetoric in Japan. You would soon find yourself talking about Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the Tokyo firebombing. Many Japanese do seem to have a great deal of sympathy for the Jews though.

That looks like a symbol used by Hindus. It's a reverse image of the swastika. It used to be a high award in Scouting. (US=Boy Scouts).

I mentioned to a couple of Thai friends what Hitler did with any Asians found in the occupied countries. They were shocked.

Don't be too hard on the Thais. Their knowledge of foreign history is about as good as our's was of Thai history before we came here. The great majority have little knowledge of the geographical location of most Western countries. It's the same in Indonesia.

And the drawing of Hitler fits into the Hindu symbol exactly where?

Some people will defend the defenceless

• Like 2

Did you just completely skip over the part where masuk mentioned that the general Thai population have little to no knowledge of what to them is foreign history? How are they to understand something to be offensive when they have no working knowledge of who or what they did?

Edited by woolf

Did you just completely skip over the part where masuk mentioned that the general Thai population have little to no knowledge of what to them is foreign history? How are they to understand something to be offensive when they have no working knowledge of who or what they did?

At best the guy is ignorant, not innocent. This is not a spiritual symbol when it has Hitler next to it.

Did you know that there is a language where the words "ignorant <deleted>", when put in conjunction with giving the middle finger means " hi mate how are you?"

Havent u heard of this language?

I hear it a lot around dumb ignorant people

• Like 2

All the posts about the swastika and its various meanings are conveniently ignoring the fact it is right next to the image of Adolf Hitler. They are part of the same sticker. It is disingenuous to play the Hindu symbol card when it is far more likely the creator of the sticker just didn't know or care about the orientation of the symbol. And to my knowledge, Hitler is neither the source of a pleasant greeting nor an ancient good luck symbol.

It is easy to be glib and make various excuses when replying to this post and dismiss it as another wank about getting one's "loin cloth in knot" but you might feel differently if your family members were among those the Nazis abducted, robbed, raped and murdered.

I am not expecting Thai society to change overnight or for the country's education system to include comprehensive geography and global history courses any time soon. If you read the entire post, you will see I was pointing out the rather brutal irony that if Hitler had is way, Thais and all Asians would have been eradicated.

As for we farangs being unaware of Thai history, it would be safer to speak for oneself. I did not come here for the cheap retirement or the cheap beer. I was aware Nazi imagery was popular in parts of Asia but I hadn't come across it personally. Judging from the replies, I suppose this is the entirely wrong forum to have posted this kind of thing.

• Like 1

That photo in the original post is evil, plain and simple. The owner of the bike should be educated about it or locked up if he really is a nazi. Lets face it, if he is going to the trouble of customizing a motorbike he will want the images to have meaning so he will do his homework. So I would assume he is a nazi and I would be offended seeing that.

Unless he is a raving homosexual, then it is kind of OK because it is done in a camp, ironic way, but there are no clues that this is the case on the bike. I wouldn't do anything but I know at least one Jew that would attack him or at least break the bike.

It is not fashion it is a hate crime.

Edited by mat999

As I have posted beforehand on this subject I believe I have made my opinion known which dealt more with the use of Nazi imagery in the schools and now government publications where they should, and most probably do, know better.

My question to Briggsy is what or who is "a Gibb"?

Furthermore I think the quote from Asian Art is confusing (and the way it reads to me incorrect but is also explained below)

and I'm adding one from wikipedia for clarification.

"The mirror-image forms are often described as:

• clockwise and counterclockwise;
  • left-facing and right-facing;
  • left-hand and right-hand.

"Left-facing" and "right-facing" are the most consistent as they refer to the direction in which the upper arm of an upright swastika faces, either to the viewer's left (卍) or right (卐). The other two descriptions are ambiguous as it is unclear whether they refer to the arms as leading or being dragged or whether their bending is viewed outward or inward. However, "clockwise" usually refers to the "right-facing" swastika."

Swastika can go either way, with Nazi symbol and every other symbol.

Left or right has no particular significance, although one appears more favoured by Buddhism and the other more favoured by Hinduism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauwastika

Nazi symbol usually goes in one direction because mass produced.

Earlier art, more individual.

Used widely in western countries before Adolf made it popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_use_of_the_swastika_in_the_early_20th_century

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

The Native American Navajo tribe before WWII used what they called "twirling logs" design in rug and pottery designs that looks similar to the swastika. But after Hitler made the swastika as a symbol of Nazi Party, the Indians stopped using the design. A morale cultural decision apparently lost on the Thais.

post-171049-0-53879500-1418917707_thumb.

post-171049-0-17315800-1418917721_thumb.

A well meaning woman pointed out to me, as I was already fully aware, the swastika in the sticker on the motorcycle is the reverse of what the Nazis used. Talk about missing the point.

Yes but who missed the point?

Is this man's belief in luck or whatever that symbol represents to him any less than your

distaste for something it is similar to?

I note these topics always get a lot of mileage here on TV

But why? You have a different history than they do.

That is to accept or reject as you choose but it is rather surprising & you would expect what of this man?

Here they have something that looks like it but pre-dates it by thousands of years

Yes that symbol that may have been later reversed by some very bad people represents something different....To You

Let it go IMO

The Swastika in Asian Art

There is no getting around it. Many farongs don't care about Thai culture to them it is all wrong. Makes no difference what direction or form the symbol takes or how long it has been around with other meanings it is unacceptable in the west and there fore they feel that Thailand must change. No respect for Thai culture.

Edited by northernjohn

Please don't be mad at thais because of this. This thing is very complicated. Sheer stupidity mixed with lack of basic historical knowledge, dumb ignorance and a couple of other lame traits and you have one question left: why in the world do you expect more from them? It is not fair.

I presume you are making up excuses for your lack of understanding of the Swastika. One evil man made it the symbol for his country and you are willing to condemn the whole history of the symbol in all it's different forms.