Nazi imagery as cool Thai fashion

GoldenTriangle

My Eureka movement about Nazi symbols in Thailand was when I saw a dark skinned Thai food vendor wearing a t-shirt with Nazi swastika and this message:
WHITE POWER.

OK, dude, whatever! rolleyes.gif

If I were Thai I would be worried about the problem of internal fascism.

As far as world history.

Forgive them for they know not what they do.

Your free to think and feel what you like.. Freedom of expression and speech etc.. But if what you think and feel includes glorification of extremist, racist, bigoted type views..

Then I am equally free to call you out

Well thanks for your permission for me to like another posters statement that he

is free to feel/think as he wants.......Yet you felt the need to attach a "But" to it

so actually you gave nothing.....Not that I need anything from you in the way of approvals wink.png

Yes goes without saying you too are afforded the right to say or think what you want &

I will attach no "But" to it.

Lastly funny that more than likely the biggest complainers

came from countries that had Free Speech etc as a right.

Yet now they come to another country & would like to dictate the limits of such.

I too come from such a country...There they have the right to say/express as they please.

That is not to say I agree with it.

But that is the freedom & yes it is a double edged sword but you cannot have one without the other

Funny that the staunch supporters of limiting such are the most like the thing they claim to hate here

Because that thing also did not allow choice.

Free speech is cool.

It is promotion of evil that is not cool.

You need to be able to differentiate between the two. Humans can be brainwashed, so you can only say your evil views as long as they can be debated or are not influencing others. If you are blatantly promoting evil it is not hurting free speech to stop it. But it is hurting free speech if it is not stopped because it could brainwash people.

Don't get so caught up on the word freedom, no one is 100% free, it is an illusion used by the powers that be to keep you down. Everyone who is religious is a slave and everyone who follows laws of the land are not free. In Germany there are certain laws we are not lucky enough to have yet which help stop promotion of evil, this law was recently used to prohibit promotion of ISIS.

• Like 2

Oh, you're offended by swastika and nazi imagery used in Thailand?

Please tell me of your knowledge of Pol Pot, and how you feel about the fashionable use of Mao iconographic imagery in the West, okay?

Daffy, if i would see an image of PP on a shirt f.i. by somebody i would say something about it. The issue overhere is not so much what people try to express but the total lack of correction of those expressions by others. In this case thais. That is the real problem. Unfortunately happening more and more in western countries too.

There is a personal sore spot with the basis of this entire thread.

Its not about whether Hitler was good or Hitler was bad

Its not about a symbol is good, bad or religious

Its not about whether I like spinach or not or you do or do not.

What I do find objectionable is the ever so much dogmatic approach that does not allow any other party to accept or reject any symbol, thought, action, or any other aspect , as good , bad, or indifferent for themselves........ and not have others tell him what is to be done, said, accepted or what.

You may like it, I may not like it....... both are correct for these individuals......

Why so vehement about someone having a different opinion ???? Forcing someone to agree to all that you say, is wrong, All are entitled to their own opinion. Anytime Nazism, Hitler, WWII, or anything related comes up........ the same almost violent cadre pops up and wants you to agree to their side...... that in itself is wrong. Whether you like it or not, I have my opinion..... it is mine and I am entitled to it as much as you are to yours.......

That's my rant and my gripe....... don't you tell me what I am supposed to think or feel.

A good summing up of this thread in particular, and of this troll topic in general.

I can assuredly tell you, you're not supposed to like Nazis, Hitler, or Nazi imagery.

Now, tell me I'm wrong ......... if you dare!

And that includes teenage Thai Catholic schoolgirls dressed in high heeled slutty Nazi hooker outfits.

(you should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves)

I dare.. You are wrong

Supposed to ? Who says ?

I don't personally like or promote Nazi ref views or imagery but who are you to tell other people what to think ?

There is a personal sore spot with the basis of this entire thread.

Its not about whether Hitler was good or Hitler was bad

Its not about a symbol is good, bad or religious

Its not about whether I like spinach or not or you do or do not.

What I do find objectionable is the ever so much dogmatic approach that does not allow any other party to accept or reject any symbol, thought, action, or any other aspect , as good , bad, or indifferent for themselves........ and not have others tell him what is to be done, said, accepted or what.

You may like it, I may not like it....... both are correct for these individuals......

Why so vehement about someone having a different opinion ???? Forcing someone to agree to all that you say, is wrong, All are entitled to their own opinion. Anytime Nazism, Hitler, WWII, or anything related comes up........ the same almost violent cadre pops up and wants you to agree to their side...... that in itself is wrong. Whether you like it or not, I have my opinion..... it is mine and I am entitled to it as much as you are to yours.......

That's my rant and my gripe....... don't you tell me what I am supposed to think or feel.

A good summing up of this thread in particular, and of this troll topic in general.

I can assuredly tell you, you're not supposed to like Nazis, Hitler, or Nazi imagery.

Now, tell me I'm wrong ......... if you dare!

And that includes teenage Thai Catholic schoolgirls dressed in high heeled slutty Nazi hooker outfits.

(you should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves)

I do DARE .

I , first of all do not accept like or whatever that Nazis, Hitler, or Nazi imagery, stand or stood for. It was bad, it was terrible, it was wrong. But by your statement , you would appear to give cause for someone to believe that YOU are the one who is supposed to tell others what they should stand for. That is what I stand against. You have your opinion, you have your thoughts and beliefs, and are 100% entitled to them. But you and others have no right, directive or almighty instruction to tell yet others what they are to believe in or about......and "assuredly" you are doing just that.

I don't , again , accept or wish to tolerate anything purporting " Nazi", but if I chose to, that is my right. And it is also my right not to accept others telling me what I am to think or feel,

That's what I object to, those who put themselves in a self-perceived god given position of knowing what is right and correct for all, and then do proceed to tell others what is right and what is wrong, possibly calling others "asses" , never understanding by doing so they are in fact the true "ASSES". Each person has an opinion and they are entitled to it, even if it disagrees with others.

This is my opinion .

Edited by Gonzo the Face

My Eureka movement about Nazi symbols in Thailand was when I saw a dark skinned Thai food vendor wearing a t-shirt with Nazi swastika and this message:

WHITE POWER.

As far as world history.

Well you may be right. But that was half a world away. And only a small time frame. How much do you know of Asian History? For that matter 95% of the posters here. Did you know in China there are statues honoring Genghis Khan a man who killed 25% of the worlds population. If he had not died when he did they were getting ready to invade Europe. that should be a part of your own history. This whole article started over a time honored symbol a swastika which one man took and used as a sign for his evil.

Yet people want to abolish it in spite of it's thousands of years use. His evil dictatorship should be reviled in my opinion but not the time honored symbol or the clothes he wore.

This whole thing is nothing different than westerners flaunting symbols used by the Burmese when they conquered Thailand and ruled it for hundreds of years. The Thai schools educated their students about western history as well as the western ones educated their students about eastern history. So don't get on your high horse about what they should do here unless you are willing to take the same stand in the west about Asian history.

• Like 1

I do DARE .

I , first of all do not accept like or whatever that Nazis, Hitler, or Nazi imagery, stand or stood for. It was bad, it was terrible, it was wrong. But by your statement , you would appear to give cause for someone to believe that YOU are the one who is supposed to tell others what they should stand for. That is what I stand against. You have your opinion, you have your thoughts and beliefs, and are 100% entitled to them. But you and others have no right, directive or almighty instruction to tell yet others what they are to believe in or about......and "assuredly" you are doing just that.

When the thing they are celebrating is mass genocide, intolerance, hatred, systematically wiping out of entire sections of society, be they based on sexuality, race, religion, etc.. Then yes.. Yes we do..

I firmly believe that not all beliefs and viewpoints are morally are equal.. I think all it takes is good men to be silent and things like slavery, female genital mutilation, or child brides to continue in the world.. It takes peopel to stand up and loudly state this is right, this is wrong, and when it is in such stark and clear terms.. We should.

This isnt some grey area opinion, this isnt a discussion about is immigration a benefit or a harm, should people allowed to use the term marriage for same sex partnership, should unemployment benefits be paid when work is available.. Those kind of debates where opinions are all worth considering. This is about acts of inhumanity, and celebrating inhumanity is not to be tolerated.

Again.. This isnt a free speech issue.. Your entirely allowed to have those views.. But everyone else is clearly allowed to tell you your wrong. Everyone else is entirely within their right to say they dont see you as having the right views to educate their children and demand your dismissal from the school, everyone else has the absolute right to make up their own mind about you and your views and react accordingly. If your views go against the grain of what is socially accepted, you either have to live with that, or change them.

If we are supposed tolerate everything then we have to start asking.. Is it ok if someone thinks children are sexy ?? I have no right or directive to say those are not morally reprehensible views ?? Someone with those 'private opinions' should be allowed to be a teacher ??

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

It's offensive to you. Peppa Pig is offensive to Muslims, the flag of the confederacy offends many black people, the symbols of the Soviet Union and the visage of Che Guevara offend some people, though far less than they really should.

I don't really know what it is that Thais find attractive about Nazi imagary, but I don't think that we have any right to expect them to find it as offensive as we as westerners, who pretty much all have or had relatives directly affected by it, do. And I'm not sure what the original poster was hoping to achieve by attempting an impromptu history lesson (in Thai or English?) in his condo car park.

• Like 1

I do DARE .

When the thing they are celebrating is mass genocide, intolerance, hatred, systematically wiping out of entire sections of society, be they based on sexuality, race, religion, etc.. Then yes.. Yes we do..

I firmly believe that not all beliefs and viewpoints are morally are equal.. I think all it takes is good men to be silent and things like slavery, female genital mutilation, or child brides to continue in the world.. It takes peopel to stand up and loudly state this is right, this is wrong, and when it is in such stark and clear terms.. We should.

This isnt some grey area opinion, this isnt a discussion about is immigration a benefit or a harm, should people allowed to use the term marriage for same sex partnership, should unemployment benefits be paid when work is available.. Those kind of debates where opinions are all worth considering. This is about acts of inhumanity, and celebrating inhumanity is not to be tolerated.

Again.. This isnt a free speech issue.. Your entirely allowed to have those views.. But everyone else is clearly allowed to tell you your wrong. Everyone else is entirely within their right to say they dont see you as having the right views to educate their children and demand your dismissal from the school, everyone else has the absolute right to make up their own mind about you and your views and react accordingly. If your views go against the grain of what is socially accepted, you either have to live with that, or change them.

If we are supposed tolerate everything then we have to start asking.. Is it ok if someone thinks children are sexy ?? I have no right or directive to say those are not morally reprehensible views ?? Someone with those 'private opinions' should be allowed to be a teacher ??

To all those people who think there is no god........ you have just heard his words.....

All together now.... Thank you god......;.

all are entitled to their opinion however misguided they may be...... they are entitled....

Oh ! ! for the record ...... I disagree

WHITE POWER.

As far as world history.

Well you may be right. But that was half a world away. And only a small time frame. How much do you know of Asian History? For that matter 95% of the posters here. Did you know in China there are statues honoring Genghis Khan a man who killed 25% of the worlds population. If he had not died when he did they were getting ready to invade Europe. that should be a part of your own history. This whole article started over a time honored symbol a swastika which one man took and used as a sign for his evil.

Yet people want to abolish it in spite of it's thousands of years use. His evil dictatorship should be reviled in my opinion but not the time honored symbol or the clothes he wore.

This whole thing is nothing different than westerners flaunting symbols used by the Burmese when they conquered Thailand and ruled it for hundreds of years. The Thai schools educated their students about western history as well as the western ones educated their students about eastern history. So don't get on your high horse about what they should do here unless you are willing to take the same stand in the west about Asian history.

Asians dont know their own history and arent educated enough to know other country histories either. Are YOU that uneducated also?

Any symbol that's meaning is based in hate or oppression is bad period. Problem with the nazi symbol is that Thais have no clue what it is or means. To them its all about selling a t-shirt or promoting their chicken stand. And even if they understood the meaning behind it....they wouldnt care.

I do DARE .

To all those people who think there is no god........ you have just heard his words.....

All together now.... Thank you god......;.

all are entitled to their opinion however misguided they may be...... they are entitled....

Oh ! ! for the record ...... I disagree

...and so do I.

Who said 'God is dead'? Nietzsche?

No he isn't... he's alive and well, livin' in the Land of Smiles.

Edited by VillageIdiot

It's offensive to you. Peppa Pig is offensive to Muslims, the flag of the confederacy offends many black people, the symbols of the Soviet Union and the visage of Che Guevara offend some people, though far less than they really should.

And it is their right to be offended.. If I do something that offends others.. I fully expect them to react..

If they do something I find offense or distasteful I react..

If a school does something offensive and culturally insensitive.. They can similarly suffer the same bad press, loss of face and business and outrage that it generates.. If the person responsible gets dismissed from his position, because enough people find it offensive enough to be vocal.. Thats the result.

This isnt a free speech issue.. I fully support their right to free speech.. But we also have the right to call them out on it.. And say that we / I find it ignorant.. Thats what free speech is !!

Precisely..

All are entitled to their own opinions.. But you have to own your own opinion.. In the face of others criticism..

For educators to not show cultural sensitivity, at a paid for private school.. Which teaches english language.. Shows the school up as being both ignorant and an establishment to avoid.

Asians dont know their own history and arent educated enough to know other country histories either. Are YOU that uneducated also?

Any symbol that's meaning is based in hate or oppression is bad period. Problem with the nazi symbol is that Thais have no clue what it is or means. To them its all about selling a t-shirt or promoting their chicken stand. And even if they understood the meaning behind it....they wouldnt care.

Yet this is a school thats the primary point of failure here.. Should a school which is as you put it, ignorant, be something to tolerate ??

And it is their right to be offended.. If I do something that offends others.. I fully expect them to react..

If a school does something offensive and culturally insensitive.. They can similarly suffer the same bad press, loss of face and business and outrage that it generates.. If the person responsible gets dismissed from his position, because enough people find it offensive enough to be vocal.. Thats the result.

This isnt a free speech issue.. I fully support their right to free speech.. But we also have the right to call them out on it.. And say that we / I find it ignorant.. Thats what free speech is !!

I wasn't making it a free speech issue. Completely agree that people have the right to be offended and express that as well.

It's more about the apparent expectation that Thais should find the same things as offensive as we do.

How many people in the England or Germany or the US would find the flags and symbols of the Khmer Rouge offensive? Or even recognise them.

Yet they committed an insane genocide in Cambodia much more recently than the Nazis.

I wasn't making it a free speech issue. Completely agree that people have the right to be offended and express that as well.

It's more about the apparent expectation that Thais should find the same things as offensive as we do.

Why would anyone find systemic genocide, of sections of society based on sexuality, race, religion, in death camps.. Keeping peoples skin for use as light shades... Etc etc offensive ??

Yeah why should there be any expectation thats offensive ?!?!? What could possibly be offensive about the systemic torture and slaughter of millions..

How many people in the England or Germany or the US would find the flags and symbols of the Khmer Rouge offensive? Or even recognise them.

Yet they committed an insane genocide in Cambodia much more recently than the Nazis.

And so when schools in the west, start having sports day celebrations of pol pot.. Mock ups of Toul Slueng.. Or play dress up as Comrade Dutch.. Lets talk about it.. But to my knowledge no school has done this..

So yes, genocide happened.. But I dont see any celebration of it.. Especially when it comes to an educational setting, 'for a laugh'.. If they did, that school also deserves all the flak it gets.

• Like 1

WHITE POWER.

As far as world history.

Do try to keep up.

The symbol has been around for over a thousand years. It has nothing to do with Hitler he just borrowed it for a short period of time and put a bad meaning to it when used in the context he used it. Just giving you facts I personally don't care what you want to believe but it does bother me when I see some one changing the whole history of it just because one evil man used it.

• Like 1

Yet this is a school thats the primary point of failure here.. Should a school which is as you put it, ignorant, be something to tolerate ??

I defiantly agree that the school system here needs work on it. So does it in many countries.

It has just been in the past few weeks that I have changed my mind agout it. Yes it has a long way to go. My problem was I knew nothing about it really just kind of went along with what I saw and heard. Mostly from the Thai Visa herd.

Recently it became clearer to me when I had to buy a computer and printer for my Granddaughter's 10 and 15. If they are using them now clearly the level of learning has gone up since the first time I visited here in 2005. It was time for me to take a better look at it. I am not saying it is a wonderful system but it has improved. Even under Yingluck they publicly announced that it was broken and needed work on it. That was said by both of the last two ministers of education.

I really don't want to get political about it but in the last year there has been more open talk about the graft where the money is not getting down to the students. Times are changing slowly but they are changing. My granddaughters go to a public school not a private one.

Very good point.

The politically correct militants who are trying to ban the swastika symbol from Thailand may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Thais can be notoriously perverse and contrary in their relations with farangs. If they get the idea that their freedom of expression is being limited, they just might react in ways that most of us will find distasteful indeed.

It could mean seeing that odious symbol a lot more often than we do at present.

I defiantly agree that the school system here needs work on it. So does it in many countries.

It has just been in the past few weeks that I have changed my mind agout it. Yes it has a long way to go. My problem was I knew nothing about it really just kind of went along with what I saw and heard. Mostly from the Thai Visa herd.

Recently it became clearer to me when I had to buy a computer and printer for my Granddaughter's 10 and 15. If they are using them now clearly the level of learning has gone up since the first time I visited here in 2005. It was time for me to take a better look at it. I am not saying it is a wonderful system but it has improved. Even under Yingluck they publicly announced that it was broken and needed work on it. That was said by both of the last two ministers of education.

I really don't want to get political about it but in the last year there has been more open talk about the graft where the money is not getting down to the students. Times are changing slowly but they are changing. My granddaughters go to a public school not a private one.

Are you trying to change a perfectly good Thai Visa Nazi thread and turn it into an education thread?

In an attempt to get back on topic I offer the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkaSnMdR0BI#t=50

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

WHITE POWER.

As far as world history.

You had a "...Eureka movement about Nazi symbols in Thailand..." ?!

I hope you were carrying a pooper-scooper at the time.

My bpen rai, we all have our moments.

Are you trying to change a perfectly good Thai Visa Nazi thread and turn it into an education thread?

Great Video

This is not an anti Nazi thread yet some have tried to change it into one. Here is the opening line of the OP.

A motorcycle owner in my building thinks it is very cool to have big Hitler and swastika stickers on both sides of his vehicle.

As you can see it was about a symbol and one person trying to enforce his limited version of it on to another person. Have no idea of what the other person's image of it is but I doubt it has any thing to do with world war 2.

Great Video

This is not an anti Nazi thread yet some have tried to change it into one. Here is the opening line of the OP.

A motorcycle owner in my building thinks it is very cool to have big Hitler and swastika stickers on both sides of his vehicle.

As you can see it was about a symbol and one person trying to enforce his limited version of it on to another person. Have no idea of what the other person's image of it is but I doubt it has any thing to do with world war 2.

I completely agree. Nazi symbols in Asia after 1990 have nothing to do with WWII except in the minds of certain OCD posters on Thai Visa.

WHITE POWER.

As far as world history.

Do try to keep up.

The symbol has been around for over a thousand years. It has nothing to do with Hitler he just borrowed it for a short period of time and put a bad meaning to it when used in the context he used it. Just giving you facts I personally don't care what you want to believe but it does bother me when I see some one changing the whole history of it just because one evil man used it.

Do try to keep up ?? Please see post 32 already covered

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/784897-nazi-imagery-as-cool-thai-fashion/page-2#entry8822553

As per that post "This isnt about the 'innocent' historical use of a swastika.. This is about pairing swastikas with copy SS uniforms, Hitler imagery, holocaust celebration.." yes the swastika has been around for a long time.. But pairing it with a little guy with a funny mouser and slicked over hair.. Is not wishing someone a hindu good luck blessing..

I completely agree. Nazi symbols in Asia after 1990 have nothing to do with WWII except in the minds of certain OCD posters on Thai Visa.

This has 'nothing to do with WII ??

On a scale of 1 - 10.. how high are you now ??

In case its escaped your attention.. This isnt about the 'innocent' historical use of a swastika.. This is about pairing swastikas with copy SS uniforms, Hitler imagery, holocaust celebration..

Any attempt to pretend otherwise is complete and total denial of the facts.. Your attempt to paint this as some cross cultural miss understanding is just more pandering and whitewashing of what they are really doing. Another wannabe Thai farang, making off the mark excuses for idiotic behavior.

This..

sacred-pra-nazi-3.jpg

Sacred-heart-heil.jpg

Sacred-Heart-Hitler.jpg

sacredheartpranazi02.jpg

Is not some kind of historical ancient celebration of a good luck symbol.. No matter how much people try to deny the obvious and pretend it is.

What does that have to do with a school celebrating 'nazism' ??

This isnt a issue with the quality of the classroom lessons, or do they use computers.. Its about the failure of the educators who run the place to have any idea how offensive that is.

They deserve every bit of bad press they received.. Perhaps if they get enough, and its remembered long enough to hurt them financially, they will learn.

This has nothing to do with WWII ??

post-179598-0-95912300-1418813038.jpg

Please explain what other context Hitler pictures come under if not WWII ??

This has nothing to do with WWII ??

post-179598-0-95912300-1418813038.jpg

Please explain what other context Hitler pictures come under if not WWII ??

Nazi chic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_chic