Three-truck pile-up kills driver; 43 hurt in bus smash in Thailand

webfact

Three-truck pile-up kills driver; 43 hurt in bus smash
The Nation

30250070-01_big.jpg?1418860485477

BANGKOK: -- An 18-wheel trailer truck carrying eucalyptus wood collided with another 18-wheel trailer at Chong Tako area in Sa Kaew's Ta Phraya district yesterday - before another gasoline-transporting trailer truck rammed into them. One person died in the accident and two were seriously injured.

The mid-road smash caused three-kilometre-long traffic jams and took three hours to clear.

The three-vehicle accident took place at 6am on highway 384 in tambon Thab Rat, instantly killing the first truck driver Kriangkrai Saenkhamma. The two injured drivers were taken to Ta Phraya Hospital.

In related news, a chartered bus carrying Bangkok's Thaweewattana District Office employees to a seminar in Krabi province, lost control on a curve and overturned yesterday in Surat Thani's Khian Sa district.

Forty-three people were hurt in the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Three-truck-pile-up-kills-driver;-43-hurt-in-bus-s-30250070.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-18

I know It's hard for some kids to grasp the pronunciation difference between tree and three but really... Nation reporters, you SHOULD know the difference in writing at least

What are you referring to in the OP?

It's a bad morning. Felt like blaming someone for it. Read the headline wrong. My bad...

• Like 1

Whilst you continue to have these types of road incidents , in-particular bus crashes, you are nothing better than third world in status, this is one of the worrying aspects of running a tourist business in Thailand , the less bus trips made the more likely the tourist is liable to return home in one piece, hence flying to places like Chiang Mai / Rai is preferred , possibly this situation will not improve in the near future, at the heart and sole of the matter is the word education. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

ah, in Tha Praya . . on the way downward ! How many times have we read stories about crashes at this location. The famous "brake light permanently-on" part of the trip. Just because thai truck drivers have not learned how to use the engine and low gear on a downward road, it does not mean the truck's brakes will always work properly for their sake.

Ooopps, sorry I forgot, 'preventive maintenance' is unknown in thai language . . .

I know It's hard for some kids to grasp the pronunciation difference between tree and three but really... Nation reporters, you SHOULD know the difference in writing at least

and here i was wondering what ever happened to da spellingk police, really, did you understand the story? we live in other than our native country, mistakes or typos can happen to even native english speaking peeps

• Like 1

In Europe and N America, commercial buses and trucks have a type of air brake that has a very high degree of safety. If the air pump fails, the brakes lock. To disengage the brakes, the air pump has to open the brake calipers. That is why Westerners are so used to hearing the hiss of the air brakes releasing the brake calipers when a commercial bus or truck is leaving a dead stop.

They don't use those here...maybe they should.

In Europe and N America, commercial buses and trucks have a type of air brake that has a very high degree of safety. If the air pump fails, the brakes lock. To disengage the brakes, the air pump has to open the brake calipers. That is why Westerners are so used to hearing the hiss of the air brakes releasing the brake calipers when a commercial bus or truck is leaving a dead stop.

The exact same system is used on large commercial trucks and buses here.

on the way home from Bangkok on the weekend we almost collected a semi that had reversed into a private road but the cab was taking up the left hand lane and had no lights on or anyone waving one to let cars know it was there, only saw it when my headlights reflected off the side and swerved to miss it. Then when we were almost home a semi decided to stop in the left lane and turn off its lights, again only just saw it at the last minute. These truck drivers are idiots, they have no idea of what is required of them for safety, tail lights are either not working, too dirty to be seen or simply not turned on, they park/stop in one of the driving lanes when ever they want and dont abide by any of the road rules, they are a menace to everyone, the more that remove themselves through crap driving/self accidents etc without hurting car/bike drivers the better.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When the linings overheat and burnout the brakes will not lock up even in Europe and N.America but less likely to happen there as the drivers are more well trained and do not rely on their brakes so much when going downhill.

Yes look at the tires. lack of proper maintenance.

(1) Tires are worn in the center due few issues Poor Quality rag / nylon Tires,

(2) Over inflated due to Driver dose not know or care as he did nor allow for expansion, Air expands 15/20%

Should make Nitrogen compulsry on all heavy Vehicles on the road,

(3) Brakes Hino,UD, Mitsubishi Trucks Air over Hyd System, No Air No Brake,

(4) Trucks pulling trailers should be equipped with Trailer brakes with double acting brake chambers on the Trailer

No Air the Brake chamber locks on cannot move,

(4) Loads of Drivers do not use the gear box or exhaust brake when going down hill they ride the Brake pedal & run

Of Air & no stopping that unit unless you go bush

(5) Experienced drivers engage low gear & use eng / exhaust brake & Trailer Brake they also keep the RPM @

They keep the RPM @800/1000 to supply Air to the air Tanks,

(6) New Hino Trucks now have same Brake system as Volvo, Scania, Full Air Brake system but option you can still

Purchase the Air over Hyd system widow maker,

(7) Bus same brake system Air over Hyd crazy driver going down hill in Angle riding the brake pedal & solly Boss,

Air Bag system if not maintained make the Bus unstable reason they fall over on their side,

(8) Proper driver Training & good PM Inspection, Maintenance, Tire Management, Truck & Trailer correct Application

Saves Lives,

Whilst you continue to have these types of road incidents , in-particular bus crashes, you are nothing better than third world in status, this is one of the worrying aspects of running a tourist business in Thailand , the less bus trips made the more likely the tourist is liable to return home in one piece, hence flying to places like Chiang Mai / Rai is preferred , possibly this situation will not improve in the near future, at the heart and sole of the matter is the word education. coffee1.gif

Were you being ermm sarcastic, or funny even, with 'sole' and 'education'?

I hate to have Thai dog excreta on my soles.

But I put my heart and soul into trying to learn the Thai language.

I do agree with you however about the ever present problem of crashes, ain't gonna get fixed for a long time!

BTW, you have fewer bus trips but less rice . . .