Attempt to ban sale of alcoholic drinks during New Year's festival renewed

webfact

the PM already decided that there will be no ban on New Year and Songkran. No need to discuss this anymore.

The NEL you mean. Please do not use a title he has not earned. He is neither a minister nor a Prime Minister. He is a leader of a Junta. A Non Elected Leader. NEL. And as such he can ban what he wants when he wants. Even books! Even hand gestures! And even booze along with civil rights and voting.
  • Like 1

Official Resurrects Proposed Ban On New Year Booze Sales
By Khaosod English

14188985511418898624l.jpg
File photo of Khaosan Road, a popular nightlife destination in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — The director of Thailand's Alcohol Control Committee has vowed to push ahead with his proposal to outlaw the sale of alcohol on New Year’s Eve.

Although Dr. Saman Footrakul's previous attempt to pass the New Year’s booze ban was rejected by junta leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the official said today that he is not deterred.

"I will ask Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha to support the outlaw of alcohol sales from 31 December to 1 January, and during Songkran [the traditional Thai New Year festival in April]," Dr. Saman said. "I'll also propose that he instructs all relevant officials to strictly enforce the ban."

Dr. Saman first publicly proposed the ban earlier this month, but the suggestion was immediately criticised by the tourism industry, nightlife businesses, and alcohol consumers in Thailand.

Although Buddhism, Thailand's primary religion, forbids drinking alcohol, many Thais are considered to be avid or even heavy drinkers.

A 2013 report conducted by the Center for Alcohol Studies (CAS) shows that 31.5 percent of Thai people aged 15 years and over - or about 17 million drinkers - consume alcohol regularly. Each regular drinker is estimated to consume 7.1 litres of pure alcohol per year, the report says.

However, Dr. Saman told reporters today that a survey conducted by the Alcohol Control Committee also shows that a vast majority of Thais - 81 percent - support his ban on alcohol sales during the New Year holiday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1418898551&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-12-18

A 2013 report conducted by the Center for Alcohol Studies (CAS) shows that 31.5 percent of Thai people aged 15 years and over - or about 17 million drinkers - consume alcohol regularly. Each regular drinker is estimated to consume 7.1 litres of pure alcohol per year, the report says.

However, Dr. Saman told reporters today that a survey conducted by the Alcohol Control Committee also shows that a vast majority of Thais - 81 percent - support his ban on alcohol sales during the New Year holiday

It would seem from those two paragraphs, the second one is undone by the first.....

Odd that 0% of Thais I spoke to today supported a proposed ban on alcohol sales over the New Year and Songkhran. In fact I learned a few new swear words and was told to "go stick my head in a bucket of water three times and pull it out twice" by my neighbour.

I think Dr Saman needs to stop inventing stats to support his crusade. We get it. It might be an election year and the dude wants to raise his profile however I doubt the PM will introduce such an unpopular potential vote losing measure in a possible election year unless he wants to puff his chest out and show off a little of his power....

the PM already decided that there will be no ban on New Year and Songkran. No need to discuss this anymore.

The NEL you mean. Please do not use a title he has not earned. He is neither a minister nor a Prime Minister. He is a leader of a Junta. A Non Elected Leader. NEL. And as such he can ban what he wants when he wants. Even books! Even hand gestures! And even booze along with civil rights and voting.

the topic is not whether the PM has been elected or not and whether you prefer him to be called something else. The topic is about whether the government has decided to ban sales of alcohol. And the government has decided not to ban the sale of alcohol over New Year and Songkran.

Why are so many even taking this seriously?

What are you? Just primitives bopping in the jungle, living in the moment, with no words in your language for the past or future, only the here and now?

Your brains are not capable of ANTICIPATING the future (New Years Eve) and buying all the freaking alcohol you could ever want to swallow--in advance of the cutoff?

• Like 2

You can ban this and that and ban alcohol sales

Where there is a will there is always a way, people will still be able to get there hands on it

or they will stock up before the band takes effect

This is just a PR statement to make it look like they are trying to do something positive

can you imagine "hey fereigners, come celebrate the holidays in Thailand, but it is BYOB, stock up at duty free before you get here"

Yes, but you would be surprised how many people use up the supply they purchased in advance and want to keep their alcohol buzz going so they head to the store to buy more (while drunk).

As long as bars on Cowboy, Nana, Walking Street, etc. can still sell the visitors will be happy, its us temporary residents who need to plan ahead. wub.png

Of course one should always have a booze bunker ready for any occasion, and nobody doubts for a second that the booze will be flowing as freely as floodwater on Amateur Night (my name for New Year's Eve). The issue is how this reflects upon the government official involved.

The worst problem is how do you get anywhere on these days? In a normal country you'd book a taxi. In Thailand the chances are the taxi driver you book will be more drunk than you. That's if of course the taxi you book remembers anything about the booking...

What utter crap.

The worst problem is how do you get anywhere on these days? In a normal country you'd book a taxi. In Thailand the chances are the taxi driver you book will be more drunk than you. That's if of course the taxi you book remembers anything about the booking...

What utter crap.

and you say that because?..... I'm guessing you have never tried booking a taxi at any time never mind NYE!!

I hate to break it to the good doctor but alcohol is NOT banned in New Zealand at New Year. There are alcohol free zones at some beaches and inner city party zones but that's it. And to claim that such "has helped lower casualty rate from road accidents by 40 percent and assault rate against women by 50 percent" is just complete drivel from a man who should think before he opens his mouth.

Was wondering about that. There would be hell to pay if alcohol was banned new year in new Zealand. And there will be hell to pay for the tourist industry if they try to do it here.

If only a could find a tuk tuk driver or taxi driver that is not drunk or on drugs maybe I would consider not driving by myself after a few beers.

Obviosly too drunk to know,your talking out yer arse.

That was very rude. I think he had a valid point. Many of the taxi driver are driving drunk around that time. I am terrified of them.

That lao khao is no joke. I found out what it was the hard way after drinking most of a large bottle at a train station outside of Bangkok. I ended up battling soi dogs and talking to random Thai people all around. Great night until I threw up...

And the hangover is a killer,back to beer for me.Now i know why Thais drink early,hair of the dog.Most of the heavy drinkers kark it around 50.

What utter crap.

bottoms up, butter cup...

burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRlTrnUTOl

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Actually, road deaths drop during New Year and Songkran. According to WHO, there are approximately 72 road deaths per day (average). During New Year and Songkran 7 Dangerous Days, Thai Government reports approximately 35 road deaths per day.

I'm not sure about the figures WHO are stating, but I do agree with the gist of your post.

When we see figures in the media, targeting a certain period, the normal average is never shown, making those figures appear a lot worse than they are.

As other posters have stated, if the good doctor wants to drive a campaign, then address the current problems that are happening on a daily basis.

Enforcing the laws is as good a place to start as any. Who knows, with the proposed reshuffle of the RTP that is being reported, the good doctor could be onto a winner.

Here's an idea. Ban alcohol to idiots who don't have at least a university degree. Let all the back woods, mama-living, sister-kissing buffoons drink cola and lemonade. Let educated people enjoy their drink. Let people who can handle their drink ...drink. Let the Somchai muther effers who suck the teet of Thai society stay sober for a change. So basically, all the motocy--tuk-tuk--taxi-drivin--squid-vendor spunk stay sober to let the people who actually work to earn a living enjoy themselves.