Planning a drive up North in December with family on a UK licence

arnold40844

Insurance companies are just that - and dislike paying. I rolled my Mazda 3 over 18 months ago (to avoid a collision I changed lanes) - alas. Okay, minor injury to me - broken collar bone from seat belt. Anyway, full insurance, Thai Licence, no booze check, no other vehicle involved. Result: insurance company initially accepted the vehicle was a write-off, many farang mates saw the result. Much interrogation from the insurance assessor - "go see the police report old son". Bottom line: the vehicle was sent to bloody Bangkok to be rebuilt. No wheels for 6 months (minus 2 days). No substitute vehicle. It is 3 year old now and my conscience would not allow me to flog it. My dear wife and I do short trips. It is f******. Bottom line- do not rely on an insurance company regardless of the circumstances/innocence even if you have qualified for all the Thai 'ingredients'. Drive ultra-defensively mate....

Ah! Finally- The voice of experience. Thank you.

A Thai woman- (looked like a Meth addict) went through a stop sign at 80 KPH- hit the left front axle of our newish Ford Ranger and then ran into a telephone pole and into a restaurant. No drug test- no alcohol test. I told the BIB she was doing 80. They asked her, "how fast were you going?". She said ..."maybe 60?". She was 2 Meters from the stop sign when she hit us! Result: Police blamed both parties. Truck took 5 months to get fixed. No substituted vehicle. The woman that hit us- (my two kids were in the car too), said, she "was sorry- in a hurry to get my kids to school before they close the gate". Her brand new BMW SUV was a total wash. I remember the cops at the station yelling at her, "how could you say you're innocent, you have many accidents before this one". Her insurance agent was begging the coper to give her a break- citing the Police report as proof she wasn't completely at fault. That was the day I knew- .........we are moving back to Oz.

she hit your kids??? shoulda pulled the cash out and made sure she paid.

I thought UK licences were not valid here, you had to have an IDP or thai licence. Are you sure your insurance is valid with an UK licence?

I suspect there would be no major problems apart from a small fine UNLESS you were involved in an accident of some sort. Get your thai licence now, it's easy.

I should be able my licence next week, just need to sort out a few docs.

The insurance company says im insured, we made sure of that when i bought the car. I checked with them again this morning but would feel a lot better if i had it in writing. What sort of fine do you think im likely to face?

5555,bloody hell mate,"insurance company says",you gotta be joking,get it in writing.I don't believe it,Thai licence way to go,pays for itself on 1st national park visit.

• Like 1

Get a Thai Driver's licence - don't go asking for trouble....(which you are, if you drive with a UK Licence) - murphy's law.

I am fully aware that in an ideal world i should have a Thai driving licence and that i should do this as a matter of urgency. one thingt that may delay this process is that my passport was accidentally put through an intensive 60 degree wash cycle and it may not be accepted.

Lets just say im am in a position where getting a drivers licence before I make this trip is not possible. I have confirmed twice now with my insurance company that I am fully covered in the event of an accident.

My question was what is the likely outcome of going through police checkpoints with my UK licence, i will carry with me proof of address in Thailand from the embassy and just say i am still waiting for my licence. i am warare that i need to get a Thai licence and fully intend to this as soon as I possible can, but lets just say i have to make this trip on my UK licence, what is the worst that can happen assuming that i am full insured?

The Uk licence is the least of your worrys.If you think a verbal from an insurance bod will stand up,your dreaming.Do you know his name,ask them to put it in writing and get it translated,betcha they don't.

• Like 1

The penalty for a police stop might be only a few hundred baht but if you had an accident and wrote off a mercedes you might find yourself with no insurance and a BIG bill.

According to my insurance company I could plow through a Bugatti show room whilst drunk, firing an AK47 out of the window and singing god save the queen... According to them I would still be covered... As mentioned i would feel more comfortable if I get that in writing from them, if I do the trip without a licence its something i will definitely be requesting.

I have a bridge to sell in Sydney,it's old but still works,i rekon you would be perfect.As they say in this wonderful country,up to you.

• Like 2

Lots of conflicting reports.however to DRIVE with a uk licence you need an international driving PERMIT to accompany it...the paper counter part of your licence will not be valid as it is being scrapped January 21015 in the uk ...tax discs are no longer issued either!.please tell me your route in the north and days you will be on the road as I do not want to be involved in an accident with you as it will be a hassle. Do us all a favour go

get that thai licence thanks and then have a good trip?

Thanks for all the posts and comments. Mostly very helpful.

As I think I mention i am trying to get a Thai licence in time, i am just not 100% sure I will have it before I depart.

Perhaps someone here could offer me some advice on I go about getting proof of address in Thailand so i can get my licence. Am I right in saying that the embassy charge over 3k now for this piece of paper? If I cannot get it tomorrow, i will have to make the trip without it.

Like everyone on here is saying, you should have a Thai licence by now. Your not a tourist any more with a Thai family. Your UK licence is only valid here for 3 months while your a tourist, so after 20 months its not valid. Your insurance company will tell you anything, they will tell you what you want to hear, remember where you are my son.

I've driven up country on a UK licence and got stopped several times, so will you, the police are looking for anything from trafficking people to drugs. There's lots of check points, its annoying as hell. You just get up to speed then you have to slow down and stop again. I would never ever drive up country again. When they stopped me they asked "where you come from?" I would say England, when they were actually wanting to know where have we come from in Thailand? At this point the policeman's little English caused my now ex-wife to chirp in and explain that we'd been to see her family in Issan, and we are on a driving holiday.

You'll be fine at the check points, but can't guarantee what will happen if you do have an accident. Remember your the foreigner and you'll get the blame anyway. Put a video camera on your dashboard, that's what I have now.

We foreigners are not the target the police are looking for unless you run a pirate website called pirate bay, or you make videos of homeless people doing crazy stuff and try to export human body parts. You don't do that do you?????

Like everyone on here is saying, you should have a Thai licence by now. Your not a tourist any more with a Thai family. Your UK licence is only valid here for 3 months while your a tourist, so after 20 months its not valid. Your insurance company will tell you anything, they will tell you what you want to hear, remember where you are my son.

I've driven up country on a UK licence and got stopped several times, so will you, the police are looking for anything from trafficking people to drugs. There's lots of check points, its annoying as hell. You just get up to speed then you have to slow down and stop again. I would never ever drive up country again. When they stopped me they asked "where you come from?" I would say England, when they were actually wanting to know where have we come from in Thailand? At this point the policeman's little English caused my now ex-wife to chirp in and explain that we'd been to see her family in Issan, and we are on a driving holiday.

You'll be fine at the check points, but can't guarantee what will happen if you do have an accident. Remember your the foreigner and you'll get the blame anyway. Put a video camera on your dashboard, that's what I have now.

We foreigners are not the target the police are looking for unless you run a pirate website called pirate bay, or you make videos of homeless people doing crazy stuff and try to export human body parts. You don't do that do you?????

I know I should have got this together sooner, I have only been on a Non-O for 5 months and we only got the car 8 weeks ago. I did not even want the sodding thing, nothing but hassle.

To be honest I dont even know why im doing the trip, they are all flying up this weekend and rather than flying back we decided I would drive stay for 2 days before driving back. initially I was completely against the idea, mainly due to me not having a Thai licence.

Having looked in to it this really does seem like quite a chore. Am i right in saying that i have to go to the embassy, pay the best part of 4000 THB, wait for 8 hours, get the piece of paper they give me translated, then take another day off to get my licence?

Edited by arnold40844

As I think I mention i am trying to get a Thai licence in time, i am just not 100% sure I will have it before I depart.

Perhaps someone here could offer me some advice on I go about getting proof of address in Thailand so i can get my licence. Am I right in saying that the embassy charge over 3k now for this piece of paper? If I cannot get it tomorrow, i will have to make the trip without it.

Don't forget that when you go to immigration for your residences certificate they might take 1 day to process it.

I know I should have got this together sooner, I have only been on a Non-O for 5 months and we only got the car 8 weeks ago. I did not even want the sodding thing, nothing but hassle.

To be honest I dont even know why im doing the trip, they are all flying up this weekend and rather than flying back we decided I would drive stay for 2 days before driving back. initially I was completely against the idea, mainly due to me not having a Thai licence.

Having looked in to it this really does seem like quite a chore. Am i right in saying that i have to go to the embassy, pay the best part of 4000 THB, wait for 8 hours, get the piece of paper they give me translated, then take another day off to get my licence?

Don't do it, just fly. You are already stressed out and after a day at immigration the last thing you want to be doing is driving all that way. Where are you driving from and to anyway? Sisaket to Chiang Mai is 14 hours. Chiang Mai to Pattaya 12 hours. Don't believe what your GPS tells you, you can add at least 25% on top of that easily. If your GPS says 8 hours to nakhon nowhere, you can guarantee it'll be 10.

Has your car got cruise control? If not, your right foot will be aching after driving all that way.

Bangkok to Roi Et. I should be able to do it in 7 hours I think.

Despite all this stress I actually really do enjoy driving and am more than happy to make the trip.

Looking at the questions for this new theory test, some are just insane.

Which of the following vehicles is it prohibited to use on the road?

A: a vehicle with horn louder than 70 decibels

B: a tank

C: a vehicle displaying dealer plates

D: a vehicle without a windshield

Don't do it, just fly. You are already stressed out and after a day at immigration the last thing you want to be doing is driving all that way. Where are you driving from and to anyway? Sisaket to Chiang Mai is 14 hours. Chiang Mai to Pattaya 12 hours. Don't believe what your GPS tells you, you can add at least 25% on top of that easily. If your GPS says 8 hours to nakhon nowhere, you can guarantee it'll be 10.

Has your car got cruise control? If not, your right foot will be aching after driving all that way.

A British license has to be verified as such by your Embassy now before being accepted as a license. My son had to do it last week at a cost of travelling to BKK one day and 3000 baht to stamp verification. After that it could be used as an application for Thai license. Personally I would just take the Thai test but the centres are busy you need to book in.

The check points are rife over the holiday period and the cops are far less likely to accept the 200 baht in the ashtray trick as they are been watched, filmed, grassed a lot more.

Let the wife drive fasten your seat belt and enjoy the view. The roads will be very busy and the journey far from pleasant with every man and his dog heading home!

All in all not a good plan on timing and lack of the driving license and dodgy passport.

Don't forget that when you go to immigration for your residences certificate they might take 1 day to process it.

It takes about 30 minutes at Pattaya immigration these days

It takes about 30 minutes at Pattaya immigration these days

Maybe it does, but he's not going to drive from Bangkok to Pattaya for a residence certificate.

New passport from the offices in BKK about 3 weeks and from memory 118 quid. Realy good service no leaving the country and you keep your old passport and a doc as proof of application. Have your license verified whilst your in BKK and then go and get your license.

You will be able to tell the wife you can't go up North as your new passport and license are being processed. You will miss out on a few nights sat on a beer crate drinking with the locals but maybe you could find something to do at home whilst the missus is away.

A British license has to be verified as such by your Embassy now before being accepted as a license. My son had to do it last week at a cost of travelling to BKK one day and 3000 baht to stamp verification.

That is one of the funniest things I have heard. Your son wasted 3000B. They certainly don't need to be verified by your embassy. I would love to see some reference to this.

This is the most accurate source I have found so far: http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

• Like 1

I agree checkpoints are only looking for illegals from neighboring countries and drug runners, as well since your heading north your likely waved through without a glance, as most 90% of the action is taken on vehicles headed inland/south. Your license isn't valid without an IDP. That said these checkpoints don't ask to see ID's from farang. You'll be waved through 95% of the time.

Your post is 100% accurate except for the bold bit which is 100% inaccurate. Actually, his (the OP's) license is not valid because he is a resident, not a tourist. IDP has nothing to do with it. If he were a tourist then his UK license is valid without needing an IDP if it meets the criteria at the bottom of post # 30 here.

As always the primitive nature of this site shows its true colors by way of smarmy insults..

It is you sir who is the idiot, I just asked a question about the risks of driving without a Thai licence. There is no need to start with name calling.

When will these idiots understand that even if your Full Thai Licence has expired one has no Full Insurance. Report that little man.biggrin.png

Op, legally you should have an IDP along with UK license, which is only valid for a few months after arrival. In practice, as mentioned, you will be waved through and only have a problem if involved in an accident. Someone mentioned most stops are southbound across provincial lines and I can concur with this as I have driven the length of the country numerous times. Only time I ever got stopped and asked to produce license was when we were moving and I had a motorbike on the back. I would get in writing that your insurance company guarantees coverage on your UK license.

Op, legally you should have an IDP along with UK license, which is only valid for a few months after arrival. In practice, as mentioned, you will be waved through and only have a problem if involved in an accident. Someone mentioned most stops are southbound across provincial lines and I can concur with this as I have driven the length of the country numerous times. Only time I ever got stopped and asked to produce license was when we were moving and I had a motorbike on the back. I would get in writing that your insurance company guarantees coverage on your UK license.

The law has been quoted already, and many, many posts here on TV about this.

Why do people keep saying an IDP is required? It is not, no legal requirement for an IDP, provided the orginal licence is valid, in English, has a photo and has a treaty with Thailand, which is nearly always the case. That is all for tourists, for residents a Thai DL is required. So in the case of the OP 'IDP along with UK license' would do him no good at all for several reasons.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

After reading his question -- and seeing the many responses, I'm more confused than ever.

Seems there are about 62 different opinions on here.

Does anyone ever REALLY know the correct answer to insurance, eligibility, documents needed, etc.?

I love this forum.

Ask 10 guys a question about anything "Thai" and you'll get 27 totally different answers.

After reading his question -- and seeing the many responses, I'm more confused than ever.

Does anyone ever REALLY know the correct answer to insurance, eligibility, documents needed, etc.?

I love this forum.

Ask 10 guys a question about anything "Thai" and you'll get 27 totally different answers.

Answers:

Insurance: will depend on the policy conditions, without seeing those nobody can answer anything about this;

Documents needed: tourists: home license, with a few provisions, people staying here longer term: Thai license.

Nothing to do with opinions BTW, only with facts.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

I agree. The real issue here is not whether i am legally allowed to drive in this country on my licence, as we all know the penalties and not enough to deter people from taking the risk. Insurance is a different matter and in this case the only real issue it seems.

If I am covered by my insurance company and they have confirmed this in writing.. why is not okay to drive on my UK licence??

I love this forum.

Answers:
Insurance: will depend on the policy conditions, without seeing those nobody can answer anything about this;
Documents needed: tourists: home license, with a few provisions, people staying here longer term: Thai license.

This information and that in stevenl's post #83 above is correct. Ignore everything else.

And a further to this, are there insurance companies in Thailand that will cover you without question with an international driving licence or is there a requirement with all of them to have a Thai licence.

I agree. The real issue here is not whether i am legally allowed to drive in this country on my licence, as we all know the penalties and not enough to deter people from taking the risk. Insurance is a different matter and in this case the only real issue it seems.

If I am covered by my insurance company and they have confirmed this in writing.. why is not okay to drive on my UK licence??

I love this forum.

Answers:

This information and that in stevenl's post #83 above is correct. Ignore everything else.

I love this forum.

Answers:

Just make sure you give them the complete story (how long here, what kind of visa etc.) so there is no way out for them. Also ask them to specify the coverage for damage to own car, people in the car and damage to others. Also check whether they will come after you for reimbursement of the paid damages.

Edited by stevenl

What an Insurance Company says or writes is irrelevant.

If you have an accident on a UK licence, which effectively means No licence you will have trouble

Any policeman will say about your UK licence: Not from Thailand

Get a Thai Licence. It takes minimal Effort and Time