Planning a drive up North in December with family on a UK licence

arnold40844

This country seems to be governed by rules of thumb.

There are several reasons that I have not got a Thai licence yet, its just not been possible due to tourist Visa's, visa exemptions etc.. I am now on a non-O so should be fairly straight forward. i am going to get myself down to whatever office they have on Monday and try to get one.

Any advice on what I need to take with me.

Thanks

You are not a resident in Thailand if you have a non-immigrant visa, doesn't matter if you've stayed here a billion years.

You do need an IDP to drive in Thailand especially to cover insurance claims.

I beg to differ. Have been told that if staying in Thailand for the long term then one becomes a resident of Thailand after 3 months and some have said 6 months. Even if not officially a Thai resident, one is no longer a UK resident either.

Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

The 3 month thing is a rule of thumb, and may in fact be in some policies. You would have to check with the insurer. The line between resident and tourist is vague, but most people fall firmly into one or the other.

You are a resident now and need a Thai DL to be legal. However it is highly unlikely it will be a problem for you if stopped or have an accident. Don't worry about it, but get your Thai DL as soon as is convenient. If you want to get an IDP you can, but it isn't likely to help you in any way. Just don't buy a bogus one off the internet. ($50-$100 plus) Only authorized autoclubs and governments can issue them. They are very cheap.

This country seems to be governed by rules of thumb.

There are several reasons that I have not got a Thai licence yet, its just not been possible due to tourist Visa's, visa exemptions etc.. I am now on a non-O so should be fairly straight forward. i am going to get myself down to whatever office they have on Monday and try to get one.

Any advice on what I need to take with me.

Thanks

You are not a resident in Thailand if you have a non-immigrant visa, doesn't matter if you've stayed here a billion years.

I beg to differ. Have been told that if staying in Thailand for the long term then one becomes a resident of Thailand after 3 months and some have said 6 months. Even if not officially a Thai resident, one is no longer a UK resident either.

Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

The 3 month thing is a rule of thumb, and may in fact be in some policies. You would have to check with the insurer. The line between resident and tourist is vague, but most people fall firmly into one or the other.

Sorry, I answered a different question in my above post. Here is what you need: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Edited by NomadJoe

Both claims are not true.

If you are on a non-immigrant visa you are not an immigrant. Immigrant status gives you the right of abode plus other rights.

Insurance companies will try whatever they can to refuse a claim, better safe than sorry.

Technically when you leave the UK, if you are away for more than three months, then you have to give it up and return it to the DVLC, some people will say rubbish but they knew I had been out of the UK for more than 3 months and declared mine cancelled. In Thailand you can drive on a foreign licence for the first three months of your stay together with an IDP and yes you will be insured. Having worked for insurance companies here I have been asked this question about cover many times. Normally they will cover you providing they are aware of your foreign licence, see the application for insurance form, but they can refused cover after three months stay.

For information I have just driven from Bangkok to the North and there was only one police check point but coming back there were eight, so you take your choice. Getting a one year Thai licence , if you have a UK one and passport, is easy, takes about an hour if you are lucky, it helps a lot if you have a certified Thai translation of your UK licence.

• Like 1

Apart from not having a recognised drivers license - you've been here for more than 3 months - get a Thai license...it also appears you don't have a recognisable passport either.

What are you going to do when you get stopped?

Unreadable passport with presumably a visa/permission to stay in the same unreadable condition?

Stay home until you get your sh!t sorted out.

Possibly under a bridge.

• Like 2

Insurance companies are just that - and dislike paying. I rolled my Mazda 3 over 18 months ago (to avoid a collision I changed lanes) - alas. Okay, minor injury to me - broken collar bone from seat belt. Anyway, full insurance, Thai Licence, no booze check, no other vehicle involved. Result: insurance company initially accepted the vehicle was a write-off, many farang mates saw the result. Much interrogation from the insurance assessor - "go see the police report old son". Bottom line: the vehicle was sent to bloody Bangkok to be rebuilt. No wheels for 6 months (minus 2 days). No substitute vehicle. It is 3 year old now and my conscience would not allow me to flog it. My dear wife and I do short trips. It is f******. Bottom line- do not rely on an insurance company regardless of the circumstances/innocence even if you have qualified for all the Thai 'ingredients'. Drive ultra-defensively mate....

Both claims are not true.

If you are on a non-immigrant visa you are not an immigrant. Immigrant status gives you the right of abode plus other rights.

Insurance companies will try whatever they can to refuse a claim, better safe than sorry.

The law has been quoted to you. Just give it up, you're wrong.

• Like 1

we live in Nong khai and travel all through thailand police are usually happy to see our passports we have insurance with bangkok bank and after a collision a couple of months ago they had the car repaired no problem we were stopped about 6 times on our way to chumphon but no fines nothing

YOur UK license is valid for a limited period of time only, 3 months. By now you need a Thai license, IDP will not be of any legal value.

Also technically i spent a week in Laos about a month ago, does this mean that it is now valid again? What is the cooling off period for validity to be restored?

No.

Technically as you have stayed 20 months in Thailand, than you are resident in Thailand. One week in Laos does not break your residency in Thailand. Your standard UK driving license only covers you for the first 3 months in Thailand as some posters have already mentioned.

Considering that you are not legally entitled to drive any vehicles in Thailand, then I seriously doubt that you are covered by your insurance company. Even if your insurance company has informed that you are covered under your present situation, it maybe a completely different scenario if you need to make a claim.

Also what type of visa are you on? Have you been legally entitled to stay in the country for 20 months?

You have a damaged UK passport, not sure if you are on correct visa? And no appropriate driving license to drive a vehicle in Thailand. Personally I would not take the chance, but whatever you decide, you do so at your own risk and discretion. Good luck to all who sail in her.

YOur UK license is valid for a limited period of time only, 3 months. By now you need a Thai license, IDP will not be of any legal value.

When I was stopped recently (having left my IDP at the condo) I was fined 400 Baht at the police station for not carrying a licence. I had my UK licence(s) with me.

My IDP covers me for 3 months for all vehicles and is valid in Thailand.

Much easier for the Op to go get one. Allocate a day for the trip as they can be very busy.

Did you have to go to the station or did you have the option of paying them at the roadside?

Like I mentioned I am going to try and my Thai licence before the trip, I just want to know what's the worst that can happen?

For example when i was in the UK, I was stopped for having no insurance, stupid mistake I moved house, changed my address with the bank but not with my insurance company, my payment did not go through and I was unaware. Got stopped, car impounded £600 to get it back, fined £800 and my insurance went up 10X for 6 years. This is now off my licence but the mistake cost me around £10k GBP.

I don't imagine the penalty here will be quite so severe but just wanted to get an idea of a worst case scenario... i dont want to get locked up in a cell or anything...

Now in bold ^^^

Police cross country checkpoints are only looking for Burmese, Cambodian and Tribal people moving around.

They don't usually stop white foreigners.

Police in towns the fine is 400bht, no repeat fine in 7-10 days (you get immunity until you pay the fine).

My pal who comes here 4 times a year has no licence of any kind.

Recons it's cheaper to just pay the fines when he gets caught.

Cheaper and less bother than getting a Thai DL.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I thought UK licences were not valid here, you had to have an IDP or thai licence. Are you sure your insurance is valid with an UK licence?

I suspect there would be no major problems apart from a small fine UNLESS you were involved in an accident of some sort. Get your thai licence now, it's easy.

I,ve only been asked for IDP once but in any case an IDP only lasts one year. HOWEVER if the police realise you have been in Kingdom for

20 months you could be in the poo.

No valid Thai license then you are NOT Insured in the event of an Accident, that is the Law, the Insurance company will be the first to'' walk away'' from any claim that you may have, word of mouth means nothing, commonsense should tell you that especially as you have been in Thailand for a while.Unless of course they will put it in Writing.

• Like 1

No valid Thai license then you are NOT Insured in the event of an Accident, that is the Law, the Insurance company will be the first to'' walk away'' from any claim that you may have, word of mouth means nothing, commonsense should tell you that especially as you have been in Thailand for a while.Unless of course they will put it in Writing.

Incorrect, you are insured for the first three months, how do you think hire companies work with tourists?

Don't sweat it...I've been driving with an expired Thai driver's license for 6 years without a problem. I've never been stopped; and even if I was, the maximum fine for an expired license is 1000 baht. In your case, you have a valid foreign country license so in the event there even was a fine, it would probably be even less.

I agree checkpoints are only looking for illegals from neighboring countries and drug runners, as well since your heading north your likely waved through without a glance, as most 90% of the action is taken on vehicles headed inland/south. Your license isn't valid without an IDP. That said these checkpoints don't ask to see ID's from farang. You'll be waved through 95% of the time.

I agree checkpoints are only looking for illegals from neighboring countries and drug runners, as well since your heading north your likely waved through without a glance, as most 90% of the action is taken on vehicles headed inland/south. Your license isn't valid without an IDP. That said these checkpoints don't ask to see ID's from farang. You'll be waved through 95% of the time.

Uk license, provided with photo, is valid without IDP.

But the OP is living here, so legally a Thai DL is required, IDP or not.

• Like 1

The penalty for a police stop might be only a few hundred baht but if you had an accident and wrote off a mercedes you might find yourself with no insurance and a BIG bill.

According to my insurance company I could plow through a Bugatti show room whilst drunk, firing an AK47 out of the window and singing god save the queen... According to them I would still be covered... As mentioned i would feel more comfortable if I get that in writing from them, if I do the trip without a licence its something i will definitely be requesting.

If the Police report states you were at fault, you could be liable for much much more in damages than even the most expensive class one Insurance policies cover- Especially if someone is seriously hurt or killed. Take a look at the coverage amounts of your policy. You will find they are woefully inadequate in regards to current prices of hospital care. And beyond the criminal charges- you would be facing civil charges. Normally this is taken care of with the aid of the Police and the injured party, when you negotiate the price for the damage/death you caused. I would first get a camera mounted in the vehicle, (front and rear if possible) but just one front facing will do. Cost 1,500 Baht. Then get a Thai DL, cost 550 Baht.

Don't sweat it...I've been driving with an expired Thai driver's license for 6 years without a problem. I've never been stopped; and even if I was, the maximum fine for an expired license is 1000 baht. In your case, you have a valid foreign country license so in the event there even was a fine, it would probably be even less.

You are a <deleted> who cares for no one. NO INSURANCE.

Another poster with reading comprehension difficulties...where in my post does it say anything about my not having insurance?

I shall also have to report you for trolling.

Flame post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Insurance companies are just that - and dislike paying. I rolled my Mazda 3 over 18 months ago (to avoid a collision I changed lanes) - alas. Okay, minor injury to me - broken collar bone from seat belt. Anyway, full insurance, Thai Licence, no booze check, no other vehicle involved. Result: insurance company initially accepted the vehicle was a write-off, many farang mates saw the result. Much interrogation from the insurance assessor - "go see the police report old son". Bottom line: the vehicle was sent to bloody Bangkok to be rebuilt. No wheels for 6 months (minus 2 days). No substitute vehicle. It is 3 year old now and my conscience would not allow me to flog it. My dear wife and I do short trips. It is f******. Bottom line- do not rely on an insurance company regardless of the circumstances/innocence even if you have qualified for all the Thai 'ingredients'. Drive ultra-defensively mate....

Ah! Finally- The voice of experience. Thank you.

A Thai woman- (looked like a Meth addict) went through a stop sign at 80 KPH- hit the left front axle of our newish Ford Ranger and then ran into a telephone pole and into a restaurant. No drug test- no alcohol test. I told the BIB she was doing 80. They asked her, "how fast were you going?". She said ..."maybe 60?". She was 2 Meters from the stop sign when she hit us! Result: Police blamed both parties. Truck took 5 months to get fixed. No substituted vehicle. The woman that hit us- (my two kids were in the car too), said, she "was sorry- in a hurry to get my kids to school before they close the gate". Her brand new BMW SUV was a total wash. I remember the cops at the station yelling at her, "how could you say you're innocent, you have many accidents before this one". Her insurance agent was begging the coper to give her a break- citing the Police report as proof she wasn't completely at fault. That was the day I knew- .........we are moving back to Oz.

• Like 1