Russian survives deadly car plunge from cliff in Phuket

webfact

Russian survives deadly car plunge from cliff in Phuket

PHUKET: -- A Russian man escaped death after his car fell from a clifftop tourist lookout on Phuket and plunged into the sea.
He was rescued last night on rocks off the holiday island’s coast.

Phuket police said the dramatic 250-metre plunge downhill came about 11.30 pm from Pa Dang, the site of Phuket’s only wind-power turbine and a popular leaping spot for paragliders.

The Russian man known only as Nikolai was driving in his Honda Jazz and with unknown cause, the car ran out of the cliff and fell into the sea.

Investigators are waiting for the Russian man to recover so they can question whether he drove off the road by chance or intended to kill himself.

”It’s amazing that this man survived a long drop down the hill into the sea,” a policeman said.

Police said it was unclear yet whether Nikolai was a tourist who misjudged the path down from the wind turbine or an expat down on his luck.

Charity Kusoldharm Phuket Foundation rescuers and local council officers took two dinghies out about 11.30pm last night and found ”Nikolai” in bad condition on a rocky outcrop, but alive.

A fisherman saw and heard the car’s plunge and made a call for help.

Airbags deployed as the car hit the water, the rescuers said.

Meanwhile doctors at Vachira Phuket hospital said the Russian man suffered slight injuries considering the height of the car’s plunge.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/russian-survives-deadly-car-plunge-cliff-phuket

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-19

• Like 1

Russian tourist badly hurt in car plunge off Phuket cliff
Suthicha Sirirat

1418961988_1-org.jpg
The steep slope down which the car tumbled. Image Google Street View

PHUKET: -- A Russian tourist is in hospital with head injuries after he lost control of his rented car at 11:30pm last night (December 18) near the wind turbines viewpoint south of Nai Harn Beach.

The red-plate Honda Jazz tumbled 300 metres from the road into the sea.

Nikolai Onoprienov, 29, was flung from the vehicle as it rolled down the cliff and was found by rescuers, battered and semi-conscious, on rocks near the sea.

A police officer at the scene said he Mr Onoprienov was bleeding from his nose and ears and was unable to communicate.

He was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The Jazz ended up in the sea with only one wheel visible above the water. Rawai Municipality and the Tourist Assistance Centre despatched two boats with divers to check whether anyone else was in the car but they found no one.

Police are waiting for Mr Onoprienov to regain consciousness so that they can ask him how the accident happened.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-tourist-badly-hurt-in-car-plunge-off-phuket-cliff-50196.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-19

• Like 1

somehow they got the car to Ya Nui beach because i just saw them towing it away. sorry, no pics, but i expect someone will post some. anyhow, the car looked like it had been through a car crusher, how the guy survived, i don't know. wish i'd got the license plate number for next weeks lottery.

somehow they got the car to Ya Nui beach because i just saw them towing it away. sorry, no pics, but i expect someone will post some. anyhow, the car looked like it had been through a car crusher, how the guy survived, i don't know. wish i'd got the license plate number for next weeks lottery.

He survived because he was not in it - he was thrown clear or more likely jumped the heck out.