I am trying to understand Thai logic

elgordo38

I am in a relationship now for some 3 years with a lovely much younger Thai lady. She does not drink or smoke and is really a good person. She sends money faithfully home every month. Its her family I cannot understand. She has a sister who was crying for money as her Am/Chinese husband had stopped sending support payments for her and her two children(fell in love with a young Lao girl) He is the father of her two children. She was lamenting that she may have to go to Korea and get a job there to support her kids and money for the parents. She went on one of these on line dating services and met a Lao man living in France with a good job. He agreed to send money back for her and her children. It is a rocky relationship as he is obsessive calling her at odd hours and he is jealous hearing men' voices in the background when talking to her. Well the tide has changed for her she now has a new car. She put a down payment of 60,000 bahts down from her savings and is relying on the money she receives monthly from the Lao guy to make the monthly payments. Her brother is a apprentice car mechanic (21 years old) with a girlfriend he wants to marry next year. He hardly ever sends money home to the parents. He wanted a new truck so he rushed out and bought a new 2 door payments and all. If this mentality hold across Thailand this country is in big trouble.

• Like 1

The mentality of getting into massive debt for a car baffles me.

Thai guy at my work. lovely lad and always came across as intelligent. He owned his pickup outright, great old banger clean and reliable (Mazda Fighter).

He sold it to pay for the deposit on a new BT-50, repayments on the new vehicle are Bt.9,000 per month. His salary is Bt.12,000 per month.

Go figure.

What sort of bullshit is spun to the finance company to allow this to happen as surely they can see he is in no position to make the repayments.

• Like 2

Dear elgordo ... consider this first.

Is the event in Thailand directly affecting you?

Do you have any real control over this event?

If the answer to either of these is no, then 'look away'.

If the answer to both of these is no, then 'walk away'.

No need to concern yourself with others troubles.

Trying to understand them will simply just do your head in.

Instead snuggle into the Bosom (figuratively not literally) of your lovely gf and let the rest drift over you.

It can affect him.. as others in the family are getting more money or looking like they get more money his girl might ask for more then too. He admitted once he pays his gf and put her in is will to keep her with him. So yes it might affect him negatively if others are looking rich or getting more.

Thai guy at my work. lovely lad and always came across as intelligent. He owned his pickup outright, great old banger clean and reliable (Mazda Fighter).

He sold it to pay for the deposit on a new BT-50, repayments on the new vehicle are Bt.9,000 per month. His salary is Bt.12,000 per month.

Go figure.

What sort of bullshit is spun to the finance company to allow this to happen as surely they can see he is in no position to make the repayments.

Like it or not you won't change it. It is part of the culture to live in a 24sq m room that costs 1500 Baht a month rent while paying off 9000 a month for a brand new pickup. It makes no sense to the farang but it won't alter, any more than a Chinaman slurping his noodles and smacking his lips will before hell freezes over.

Go figure.

No problem for all these companies. Within your repayments, you also pay for your own credit default swap. If something happens, the company will receive the full amount, and the insurance company tries to repossess the vehicle.

......one aspect of this 'logic' is........"If you are 'kind'....or 'kind-hearted'.....you are marked for a patsy"......so watch out......

.....there is intelligent...logical.....and cunning.....

.....most stories you will hear are more contrived than you could possibly imagine.....

I am just starting my 14th year here, and have finally stopped getting all worked up about Thai logic.

I have to many examples of my own.

My Thai wife wanted to help her eldest sister when her husband died in Korat. Despite my 40+years of top business management experience, my wife totally ignored me, found a n empty 3-floor shop building near us and BOUGHT it from the bank for 3.5M baht. They wet it up as a restaurant and I did my best to kit it out, type menus etc in English. But she then told me she had to pay the bank back 35,000 baht a month. When I asked her to listen to me and let me prove it was totally impossible to pay that from the meager takings which I forecast and was proved right. Soon she was in trouble with the bank. Her sister just up and went back to Korat. I made her close the shop immediately and try to sell it - an impossible task as so many new shop blocks were being built.

She then sat down and let me show her very slowly why she needed more than 65-70000 baht INCOME a month just to pay the bank back. Thde end result was she has now been made bankrupt. Family was stronger than marriage !!!

Now I hear the Pattaya Council has decided that all beaches in the area will be closed EVERY Wednesday from next week (Christmas Eve). This is to encourage the tourists to come here !!!! Who made this amazing decision? Has anyone on the Council any brains or logic or anything?

But after 13 years, I say to myself, this is Thailand !!

• Like 1

90 percent of those vehicles sold in Isaan and other parts will be repossessed. You can blame the face culture and the Thaksin govt for providing huge cash rebates to appease the Japanese auto makers after the floods with no thought of traffic flow or infrastructure much less ability to pay.