I am trying to understand Thai logic

elgordo38

I am just starting my 14th year here, and have finally stopped getting all worked up about Thai logic.

I have to many examples of my own.

My Thai wife wanted to help her eldest sister when her husband died in Korat. Despite my 40+years of top business management experience, my wife totally ignored me, found a n empty 3-floor shop building near us and BOUGHT it from the bank for 3.5M baht. They wet it up as a restaurant and I did my best to kit it out, type menus etc in English. But she then told me she had to pay the bank back 35,000 baht a month. When I asked her to listen to me and let me prove it was totally impossible to pay that from the meager takings which I forecast and was proved right. Soon she was in trouble with the bank. Her sister just up and went back to Korat. I made her close the shop immediately and try to sell it - an impossible task as so many new shop blocks were being built.

She then sat down and let me show her very slowly why she needed more than 65-70000 baht INCOME a month just to pay the bank back. Thde end result was she has now been made bankrupt. Family was stronger than marriage !!!

Not only in LOS ! It's the same in Philippines...

Maybe even worse - the Filipinas are traditionally those holding the family together and in charge of finances. (Pinoys IMHO even more lazy than Isaan men). So, besides of the fact that you as Kano (aka. Farang) have anyway no bl..dy idea what's important in business in Phils, you are a man - so she feels insulted, if you discuss finances and her business idea with her. Break-even, business plan, cost-benefit-calculation,..., all boring western bullsh.t, because "Honey, you do not know about this".

The only way that helps: let them crash with not too much loss, the next time she might hear. (Unless her mother has another brilliant business idea, which dictates immediate action ;-)

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

OP: I recommend that you practise the word "NO" in relation to your girlfriend or I have feeling that you will be in trouble in the future :-)

Besides that. Do not try to understand Thai-logic, as it is no logical at all, which will drive you insane.

Just make sure you do not get involved with purchases on behalf of others. And learn the word "NO"!

Edited by khunpa

In Thai its ALL about the present.... No thought for the future. Just give up

This most certainly is true.......but somehow, to me at least, they seem to be a much more happy bunch of people than those who come from the west and have (for want of better words) everything going for them.

Congratulations elgordo38, you have been officially sucked in. How much have you lost already? The story and facts are irrelevant. They may change frequently. That doesn't matter. The key thing is to effect the appropriate emotion in the listener.

I have lost nothing as my g/f is my only obligation. I trying to teach her now that after I have snuffed it and she gets some money from me and to turn a deaf ear to family and friends. She is aware of all the sick water buffalo sick motorbike uncle needs an operation jokes. I have explained to her that the money she gets it all there is. If she "lends" money to family and friends its not a loan its a gift. Expect no repayment. She will get enough to build a small house possibly with a store and have about 10 yrs. pocket money depending on how she spends it. She seems to understand my logic. Again she is a beautiful girl and must move on. The only thing that scares me is that the next man in her life might abuse her.

I hope she meets a rich Norwegian,who will buy here a big house with a pool and she can splurge all her pocket money on party time.

Congratulations elgordo38, you have been officially sucked in. How much have you lost already? The story and facts are irrelevant. They may change frequently. That doesn't matter. The key thing is to effect the appropriate emotion in the listener.

I was thinking similar thoughts, sounds like a typical dodgy, low class family.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Yes, what you've found exists in every Thai family - male children are treated as gods, from birth and not only don't contribute money to their needy relatives but are expected to be catered to by parents and siblings. Burns me up that my Thai wife and sister send all available funds and do all household chores, including cooking the food they bought and doing brother's laundry. It is however ,accepted by the duped women of Thailand that this is correct and normal family behavior whereas, in other countries the males are expected, rightfully so, to help with the support of aging, maybe ill parents. Thai logic does not exist !

Yes, one thing most of the dear members on here have no familiarity with. Middle class springs to mind.

When I was a newbee here, I was told there is no word in the Thai language for logic.

There is a word ( words ) for it.

gio gap he:d phOn

It just has a different meaning here.

Like many other things, you just can't bring western logic to Thaiand with you.

Won't fit in the suitecase, and it's too expensive to ship it here.

What you see is what it is here.

Roll with it!

Good luck!.....Choke dee!

When I was a newbee here, I was told there is no word in the Thai language for logic.

There is a word ( words ) for it.

gio gap he:d phOn

It just has a different meaning here.

Like many other things, you just can't bring western logic to Thaiand with you.

Won't fit in the suitecase, and it's too expensive to ship it here.

What you see is what it is here.

Roll with it!

Good luck!.....Choke dee!

There is an other word for it.......something like........ta rak wit thaya.....found it in an english thai dictionary 10 years ago.....

That the Thais have no logic is true. they have something else for otherwise they would all be starving but I am not sure what it is. The Chinese are greedy SOB's who are tighter than camels rears in a sandstorm so they are good with money and business but lousy on any social level. Don;t knock the people who are debt strapped - they are what make the country tick.

Sounds more like a dodgy low class kee niaw farang.

This is the other side of the 10 baht coin from all those claiming to have some hottie sleeping next to them.

Gramps grabbed a hottie 50 years his junior and now cant keep up with the repayments.

Som nam na.

This is how the "logical" mind operates in Thailand.

1) Buy a new truck and make payments- The Bigger the truck- the better- Doesn't mater the truck is 12,000/month and you only make 15,000.

a) After several months, leave it parked in the driveway and drive your old motorbike again, because with all the payments, you now can't afford the gas or Diesel fuel to actually drive the truck. No problem, people will see it parked in the driveway, and that's the main thing!

B) No need to change the oil, ever! Because the truck still looks new, and changing the oil doesn't impress people like washing and waxing the truck does. Besides, Oil costs a lot of money. Money that would be better spent removing the new muffler from the tailpipe of my new motorcycle so I can put a soup can in its place. This will change the back-pressure and turn my bike into a smoking, powerless piece of crap within a short time- but in the meantime- I will be the talk of the town as a I go wizzing by, frightening all and sundry with my new Harley style bike.

c) Can't afford the payments on truck, house, Apple Tablet, so start selling Yaba, (or any other nefarious deed) to make up the rest, maybe you can get your friends hooked on it......... or maybe a pyramid scheme......

d) After a 5-7 years- buy a new truck or car- but sell the old one for just slightly less than the price of a new one. It doesn't matter that the rings are shot, it's slow as a turtle, and the truck spews smoke out of the Tailpipe like a Mosquito abatement machine- Because it's the same as a new truck! You can tell by looking at it, and it's still shiny and new looking. Only a stupid Farang would think there is a difference between my truck and a brand new one.

C) Fall for any scam and dive into it headlong, no need to think- because everyone else is doing it! So it has to be good! Your friend bought a condo off plan, and then flipped it one year latter and made a fortune, so you will do that too! It doesn't matter that only 1% of people actually successfully do this and of the remaining 99%, about 40% of them will never get the loan when the Balloon payment is due to the developer in two years- because they could never qualify for a loan like that anyway! But, you will be the lucky one that gets to flip yours and make a fortune, if not you will rent it to a Farang for 300% of the going rental rates, because Farangs are rich!

D) Math, percentages, being rational, it's all just a big headache and hard to understand- what you do understand is, one bus crashed today in Nakhon No-where so you know for certain all buses are unsafe and therefore you will never take one again.

If for some reason things don't work out- you will never consider that it's your fault or take responsibility for your actions- you can blame it on bad luck, did something wrong in a former life, Ghosts, someone put a spell on me, etc. etc.

b

Spot on.

Okay, after we figure out Thai logic, let's tackle [how women] think. After that [Am/Chinese husband had stopped sending support payments for her and her two children(fell in love with a young Lao girl)] Am/Chinese should be a cinch, eh.

Finally, we can get the grips on how the human species lets 3 million children starve to death, every year, while, still, claiming to be [civilized]. NOT!

smotherb, on 19 Dec 2014 - 17:54, said:
KarenBravo, on 19 Dec 2014 - 17:32, said:

In Thailand, people go bankrupt trying to look rich......

I see farangs trying that every day.

Rubbish.. I doubt you "see" any, granted a minority might, but here the numbers are much higher. The gist of the OP is that Thailand has a very high percentage of illogical thinkers, and this is certainly true.

Elmer Gantry, on 19 Dec 2014 - 18:23, said:

What came first,the chicken or the egg,answer that question then you will understand Thai logic ( is there a Thai word for logic? )

You don't understand evolution.... the egg came first and if you think about it that is the "logical" answer.

MauiSteveBKK, on 19 Dec 2014 - 18:46, said:

No different than Mainland USA and certainly no different than Hawaii.

Some people are "House Poor".

Some people are "Car Poor".

Hawaiians live in tiny, sub-standard housing, yet have a NEW Ford F350 Dual Cab Monster Truck in the driveway.

Strange that a few, including you, seem to think "logic" is only about financial common-sense.

rgs2001uk, on 20 Dec 2014 - 00:31, said:
AnotherOneAmerican, on 19 Dec 2014 - 22:01, said:
Briggsy, on 19 Dec 2014 - 15:03, said:

Sounds more like a dodgy low class kee niaw farang.

This is the other side of the 10 baht coin from all those claiming to have some hottie sleeping next to them.

Gramps grabbed a hottie 50 years his junior and now cant keep up with the repayments.

Som nam na.

Seems like a lack of "logic" in your thinking, you really have been in Thailand far too long. Another young jealous kid, who can't understand why a young Thai girl is happy with a more mature, stable, caring and understanding man. What a twerp you are, grow up and when your balls finally drop, come back and join an adult discussion.

All this brought a smile to my face, so true There just is NO logic in the Thai world. Live for today, never mind if you mess up, p*** everyone off, loose business etc etc. Ive got a car even though I live in a Tin Hut ????? never will understand them

sad.png

the fact that you dont understand them says more about you than it does about their logic

God grant me the serenity

To accept the things I can not change;

the courage to change the things I can;

And the wisdom to know the difference.

Live by these words everyday and it will help you find peace. I think you are just seeing some normal disfunction in a family. The live now pay later mentality. Just look at the young men riding around on these big bikes, they must be spending every dime they have on them. I used to see the same things in America.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have lost nothing as my g/f is my only obligation. I trying to teach her now that after I have snuffed it and she gets some money from me and to turn a deaf ear to family and friends. She is aware of all the sick water buffalo sick motorbike uncle needs an operation jokes. I have explained to her that the money she gets it all there is. If she "lends" money to family and friends its not a loan its a gift. Expect no repayment. She will get enough to build a small house possibly with a store and have about 10 yrs. pocket money depending on how she spends it. She seems to understand my logic. Again she is a beautiful girl and must move on. The only thing that scares me is that the next man in her life might abuse her.

Almost certainly, she will move on to another guy more than 50 years older than herself to support her.

I think she has a good grasp on logic mate.

Keep your money in your pocket and laugh at the rest.

When I run into some Thai logic I think of a little story lesson, I think from Islam.

A man walking home one night sees his friend on his hands and knees under a lamppost. He goes over and asks if there is something wrong. His friends answers " I lost my keys!". "Oh, did you drop them here?". "No, I dropped them over there, but there is more light here."

• Like 2