Pegas

pagallim

Has anyone else noticed the lack of Pegas tour buses, large and small, around the island at the moment? A few months ago, you couldn't travel a kilometre without passing or being passed by one of these. Now, I might see one, or at the most two, a day.

Similarly, am in Villa Market (Chalong) a couple of times a week, and normally a healthy amount of shoppers in general and Russians in particular. Now, the aisles are nearly empty, which makes it more of a pleasure to get around the place, and of course less queues at the checkouts.

However, how many businesses have thrown their hat into the share of the Russian market, and what will be the situation through the first quarter of next year? Without trying to be a source of doom and gloom, how many places will close, and how many more people will find themselves out of work.

Many places I've been to recently have less customers than during the so called 'low season'.

The rouble has tanked. Before 30 roubles = 1 US$, now 60 roubles = 1 US$

But I still see many Pegas coaches and mini-buses in the Kata/Karon/Patong areas. But even more Chinese company coaches.

A few of our regular high season Russian guests have cancelled their high season booking due to the financial conditions in mother Russia.

It was not that long ago nearly 1 rouble = 1 baht now it is about 2 to 1. Even though the Russian tourist numbers are down I reckon the ones who are here paid for their holiday quite some time ago & so could really see more of a downturn next year. It effects me as Russians are not buying homes & building pools like they used to. As the OP stated it does not only effect the tourist trade.

I am sure it is partly the Russian economy, but let's also not forget that Pegas already announced one year ago the numbers for Phuket would be down and for Krabi and Khao Lak would be up.

I think this is all in all a change for the good, we'll have a lean, very lean year now but this gives other nationalities the chance to return again. Maybe even (in small numbers) as early as the end of this high season.

Obviously the current state of the Russian economy/exchange rate fall is having a major impact. Of the ones who are here now, most would have booked some months ago before their circumstances became so dire.

I'm guessing the first to shut their doors will be the Russian owned businesses (estate agents, speciality shops etc).

However the knock on effect on the service sector in general is bound to be noticeable.

I never saw so many useless tourists here for the economy on Phuket.

Mama noodle soup tourists from China. Cruise ship passengers from South Korea congesting the Sois in Patong and buying only one ice cream in 5 hours on shore.

Few Russians. Fewest Westerners.

Phuket is reaping now what some sowed before!

Has anyone else noticed the lack of Pegas tour buses, large and small, around the island at the moment? A few months ago, you couldn't travel a kilometre without passing or being passed by one of these. Now, I might see one, or at the most two, a day.

Similarly, am in Villa Market (Chalong) a couple of times a week, and normally a healthy amount of shoppers in general and Russians in particular. Now, the aisles are nearly empty, which makes it more of a pleasure to get around the place, and of course less queues at the checkouts.

However, how many businesses have thrown their hat into the share of the Russian market, and what will be the situation through the first quarter of next year? Without trying to be a source of doom and gloom, how many places will close, and how many more people will find themselves out of work.

Many places I've been to recently have less customers than during the so called 'low season'.

Plenty of Russians and Pegas coaches at Watt Chalong, also Coral coaches.

Last year it was nearly a Pegas bus a day breaking down on the Patong Hill or crashing.

Two buses broken down at the bottom of the hill today but I think they both looked like Chinese tours

Maybe they have all broken down and they are using other branded buses?

Does any body able too see any busses except than Pegas in russians ? Thats right a lot people are going to get effect because of this crisis , but dont expect any other market will be back , those are just an dream...Phuket force the foreigners , tourist to run away showing them our unfriendly face, corraption business skills ...just an karma.

"but this gives other nationalities the chance to return again." - the question is, why would they return?

What has changed here, except no beach chairs allowed, and as mentioned in another thread, that may actually repell visitors, rather than attract them, and how long before they are back as well?

That leaves, no real change here at all, so, why would they reurn?

Phuket's issues run a lot deeper than simply Russians are/have been holidaying here.

• 2 weeks later...

Now some Pegas tourists are back on HKT but i can't remember that i saw ever before real 50-70% discounts in Central in the top high season month January.

The fight runs. Was today in Patong at 11.00 at the beach for a a check. My guess 40-50% less tourists this year.

The pressure will increase in the next months.

Now some Pegas tourists are back on HKT but i can't remember that i saw ever before real 50-70% discounts in Central in the top high season month January.

The fight runs. Was today in Patong at 11.00 at the beach for a a check. My guess 40-50% less tourists this year.

The pressure will increase in the next months.

"My guess 40-50% less tourists this year." - 40-50% I think is a little high.

From my observations, I would say an easy 30% down.

In any case, as you allude to, difficult times ahead, especially as the Russians stop booking their holidays here, do to the collapse of the ruble.

Actually, I would go as far as saying, I would not be surprised to see the Russian tourist market basically collapse for Thailand in the next 6 months.

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

Actually, I would go as far as saying, I would not be surprised to see the Russian tourist market basically collapse for Thailand in the next 6 months.

More like the next 2 years if the global oil & gas prices stay low.

The Russians we are seeing here now, booked their holiday several months ago. Rather than lose money on a canceled holiday, many have still opted to take their holiday, allbeit, on an even more limited budget.

I think what we will see in the near future, if not already, is a massive downturn in Russians booking their holidays to Thailand, because that holiday has now become a lot more expensive for them to book, and once in Thailand, everything they consume, or wish to buy, has also become a lot more expensive for them, due to the Russian ruble collapsing.

This is why I say, I think in 6 months time, possible sooner, you will hardly see any Russians on Phuket, and minimal Russians in Thailand, in general.

So, as previously stated, the Russian tourist market will dry up for Thailand. They will stop coming here in any significant numbers, and TAT will probably pull marketing and advertising in Russian as well.

Now, the "Russian bashers" might say, "Good" - but the flow on effect is not great news for expats. For example, this will mean less money into the local Phuket economy for infastructure, businesses closing, job losses, increase in crime etc etc.

<snip>

More like the next 2 years if the global oil & gas prices stay low.

I would say next high season will be affected, but, after that, business as usual.

Oil price will increase again in about a years time.

Pegas already announced a long time ago there would be less Russian tourists coming to Phuket this season. The main reason for that is they are moving them to other places, Khao Lak and Ao Nang are seeing (relatively)more than they used to. Add to that the Ruble crisis and it is clear this will affect Phuket. IMO in the long term for the good of Phuket.

Edited by stevenl