And you thought you had seen everything

Anthony5

I live in East Pattaya, and just a few minutes ago when i arrive at home, one of the meat trucks rescue services stops in front of my house.

I proceed driving into my property while he keeps waiting at the other side of the road, with some laminated folder in his hand.

When I get out of the car he signs me to come over and have a look in the trunk of his car.

There's a goddamn corpse in the trunk of his pick up and he is soliciting for funds.

I had the inclination to replace the corpse with that of the <deleted>, but lucky for him could control myself.

Do these people have no shame ?

He thought you may be impressed by this gruesome sight, and surely you'd tip him a 100 orso.

It isn't about shame, it is about collecting some tips.

Also, word 'shame'has different meaning here.

The ambulance guy prolly thought, what a dumb foreigner, doesn't appreciate a great offer!

He thought you may be impressed by this gruesome sight, and surely you'd tip him a 100 orso.

It isn't about shame, it is about collecting some tips.

Also, word 'shame'has different meaning here.

The ambulance guy prolly thought, what a dumb foreigner, doesn't appreciate a great offer!

I heard many years ago they do this, but had never experienced it myself, so I considered it to be a baseless rumor.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this, and there are no words to justify these kind of disrespectful behavior.

Emergency medical services in Thailand, many of the Pickup ambulances are private and voluntary organisations, they work on donations from the public.

Where I live the local Pickup ambulance comes around about once a year for donations, notice everyone gives 100 baht, this is recorded in a book with house number.

• Like 1

If I'd never been to Thailand and you told me your story, A5, I'd have been mortified. Even living here, still, that's one effed up thing to do. You have to think then, that Buddhist funerals full of respectful people are, essentially, complete frauds.

'Buddhist funerals full of respectful people' Who've just spent the previous two days at least partying, Dancing & drinking lots of Whisky & Lao Chow...

We all grieve in our own way.

Thais might celebrate the life (not death) of the deceased in their way but the actual cremation ceremony is generally very respectful.

The incident of the OP was bizarre and certainly reportable to the relevant rescue service as very inappropriate.

Cant say I'm a fan of corpses - those who tuned in for Dr Gunther's 'Anatomy for Beginners' a few years back may recall that the production team didnt initially bother to cover the faces of the bodies they used in each programme : personally, I found that disrespectful to those who had donated their bodies to medical research. I completely understand the need for medical professionals to attend this type of training, and to carry a level of professional detachment, but I'm very keen to have my remains cremated as soon as humanly possible following my death - ashes to ashes sounds good to me.

If I'd never been to Thailand and you told me your story, A5, I'd have been mortified. Even living here, still, that's one effed up thing to do. You have to think then, that Buddhist funerals full of respectful people are, essentially, complete frauds.

"Mortified?!"

What about the bloke inside the truck? He's mortified.

Edited by danstarr

I don't understand. What was he wanting money for?

The service they offer - not that too many people would be lining up to compete in that particular endeavour.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2012/05/2012528151535753486.html

. The city has an average of four violent crimes and three fatal road accidents reported each hour of the night; there is no shortage of work.

That's a little gem you dont get in the TAT brochures. ~4 violent crimes per hour every night and I still have people trying to tell me Pattaya is a more dangerous destination ;)

The service they offer - not that too many people would be lining up to compete in that particular endeavour.

. The city has an average of four violent crimes and three fatal road accidents reported each hour of the night; there is no shortage of work.

That's a little gem you dont get in the TAT brochures. ~4 violent crimes per hour every night and I still have people trying to tell me Pattaya is a more dangerous destination ;)

Um, it is more dangerous than most other towns and cities in Thai

I have read reports about competing rescue teams having gunfights about who is allowed to get the victim. There must be something very profitable in the business.

That's a little gem you dont get in the TAT brochures. ~4 violent crimes per hour every night and I still have people trying to tell me Pattaya is a more dangerous destination wink.png

Um, it is more dangerous than most other towns and cities in Thai

No argument - the comparison isnt between Pattaya and 'most other cities and towns', its between Pattaya and Bangkok - if PattayaOne reported 4 serious criminal assaults in a single night in Pattaya. george's server would go into meltdown from the outraged posts here : average 4 an hour from 6pm to 6am and he might as well pull the plug. What the knuckleheads who try to make such comparisons conveniently forget is that Bangkok is much larger than Pattaya - domestic violence alone in a city of that size would account for many of the reported cases and a frightening number that are never reported. Howard Miller's PattayaOne will report on every single incident on the police radar here - how many news agencies in BKK would even bother with half the stuff he reports ?

In any case, we seem to be straying from the topic at hand.

I live in East Pattaya, and just a few minutes ago when i arrive at home, one of the meat trucks rescue services stops in front of my house.

I proceed driving into my property while he keeps waiting at the other side of the road, with some laminated folder in his hand.

When I get out of the car he signs me to come over and have a look in the trunk of his car.

There's a goddamn corpse in the trunk of his pick up and he is soliciting for funds.

I had the inclination to replace the corpse with that of the <deleted>, but lucky for him could control myself.

Do these people have no shame ?

Maybe it was the guy who smashed into the electric pole opposite your house a few weeks ago and they are trying to get money to cremate him. They found out from the municipal how interested in the case you were!

I have read reports about competing rescue teams having gunfights about who is allowed to get the victim. There must be something very profitable in the business.

There you go! Just make a thread about something that cannot possibly be verified and then before the interest wains, and certainly if it looks like it's good for a couple of pages, toss in another completely unverifiable 'shock' item to keep those with equally fragile sensitivities AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT OR UNDERSTANDING OF THAI CULTURE ticking over in righteous indignation and anger.

There you go! Just make a thread about something that cannot possibly be verified and then before the interest wains, and certainly if it looks like it's good for a couple of pages, toss in another completely unverifiable 'shock' item to keep those with equally fragile sensitivities AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT OR UNDERSTANDING OF THAI CULTURE ticking over in righteous indignation and anger.

That took some time before our famed chip on the shoulder member found the thread and something to start an argument.

Here you go for unfounded rumors.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/breaking-news/thai-ambulance-crews-brawl-leaves-one-dead/story-fnj6ehik-1227141070721

A THAI volunteer rescue worker has died after rival ambulance squads brawled on the streets of Bangkok, officials say.

• Like 1

And another view of the volunteer rescue operations : http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2011/Thailand-Foreign-Paramedics.htm

There are good and bad in every organization. I have seen both, I think the good largely outweigh the bad.

Another one explaining how many spend their own money : http://nextcity.org/informalcity/entry/the-white-knuckle-nights-of-bangkoks-volunteer-ambulance-squads

Edited by casualbiker

And another view of the volunteer rescue operations : http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2011/Thailand-Foreign-Paramedics.htm

There are good and bad in every organization. I have seen both, I think the good largely outweigh the bad.

Another one explaining how many spend their own money : http://nextcity.org/informalcity/entry/the-white-knuckle-nights-of-bangkoks-volunteer-ambulance-squads

Things have indeed improved over the years, but there were different times.

From the horse mouth

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2006/s1584927.htm

Now while that sounds very high-minded, just a few years ago these people were truly reviled in Thai society. They were renowned for dangerous driving, for fighting amongst themselves over bodies and even stealing valuables from the dead – that’s how they got the name “the body snatchers” in the first place.

Then the police launched a crackdown telling them to clean up their act or face being outlawed. They did just that. Now, they’re a far more professional group attracting working men and women, family groups and even celebrity and movie stars to the ranks of the volunteers.

A gun fight only a couple of weeks ago: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780742-bangkok-potektueng-staff-shot-at-during-fight-with-another-rescue-foundation/

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1