When A Farang Dies In Thailand. What Is The Procedure For Burial

mehoo

I seem to recall reading that you can organise all of this with a local temple and make an upfront payment - I have no idea how accurate that was or how long it remains in effect for. The obvious issue here is insurance, and I'm guessing that neither Thai nor Australian insurers will cover an 80-year old with emphysema. If I can be blunt here, OP, while i completely understand your desire to see Thailand one more time I have to wonder if you're better off simply staying in Oz ?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I seem to recall reading that you can organise all of this with a local temple and make an upfront payment - I have no idea how accurate that was or how long it remains in effect for. The obvious issue here is insurance, and I'm guessing that neither Thai nor Australian insurers will cover an 80-year old with emphysema. If I can be blunt here, OP, while i completely understand your desire to see Thailand one more time I have to wonder if you're better off simply staying in Oz ?

I don't have much of a life here in Australia, the only thing I have to look forward to is to travel to Thailand , I been to some other countries in the past but I feel more comfortable hanging out in Thailand, to be blunt I am very disalusioned with Australia now , it is simply out of control with the cost of living here, besides the government has so many hidden agendas just making laws after laws about anything and everything, I am of the opinion that Australia is no longer the lucky country it once was, all my life I have been somewhat of a wanderer and the best thing that's ever happened to me is I married 35 years ago to the most understanding wife who understands me completely in every way. I have a good marriage and for that I am thankful , I do not want my wife to spend all our life savings if I did die in Thailand.. Dead is dead and that's the end of it as far as I am concerned.NO I cannot get any travel insurance now at my age and condition, that's why I asked about any outstanding hospital bill left behind in Thailand.

Look Buddy you're 80, everyday is a blessing. Go out with a bang, as I said it'll only cost about $20k Baht for a barbie.

• Like 1

Are you planning on coming without your wife?

Do you have any friends here that you can leave instructions with?

You have made a will so I guess that the Oz embassy will make arrangements for the burning of your body and charge her.

Another option is to leave your body for medical research.

Good luck in surviving the 3 months.

• Like 1

You might like to also consider a funeral plan, AlisonMonkhouse Funeral Directors is an Australian Company with a Branch in Bangkok and recently I was involved with them when they were engaged by a family in UK whose father passed away in Pattaya. They did all the paperwork, contacted the Embassy, organised cremation etc. if you want further details pm me.

Not sure how much a funeral plan is but you can ask them.

Edited by JohnC

for a 100 grand i would tell her to come to thailand and have my body cremated at the local wat. then just fly back with the ashes and bury them where appropriate. who wants to fly in a cargo bay anyhow.

• Like 2

I know something about this, being the co-ordinator of www.LannaCareNet.org

The hospital will not release your remains until the bills are paid, so yes, your wife is going to be responsible for your final medical bills. More importantly, you should consider having a Advance Direct or Living Will in place to make sure your final wishes are followed, or you may find yourself being kept alive for a very long time in a hospital, especially if it appears that it's likely someone will foot the bill. Remember, this is a Buddhist country with a tremendous respect for life and there is much medical technology available to keep people alive long past when most westerners would consider it a good idea.

As for the handling of your remains after you die, the hospital will notify your Embassy and they will contact your wife. She will probably be encouraged to have your remains cremated here with the remains shipped to her. This can be arranged by the hospital for less than 20K. It sounds like the OPs wife remains in Australia while he comes here. The Embassy will keep in touch with the OPs wife and see that she receives the appropriate documents to be able to file insurance claims, close bank accounts, etc.

While it's good that the OP is worried about what should happen if he dies while in Thailand, given his advanced age, he should be more worried about what will happen if he becomes ill here in Thailand. Very few people just die suddenly. Usually, they're hospitalized first and often are unable to communicate their wishes, access funds, etc. He should plan ahead for this scenario.

The OP probably know about this, but be sure to register your travel plans on with the Aussie gov't website so the Embassy has contact details for your wife:

https://www.orao.dfat.gov.au/orao/weborao.nsf/Homeform?Openform

My wife knows that I'm not to be resuscitated or ventilated. Are you saying the hospital would over rule her if they thought I/ she could pay?

Anyway, if the hospital wishes to hold onto my body for ever, good luck to them, as I'm not paying to be kept alive.

• Like 1

The hospital will not release your remains until the bills are paid, so yes, your wife is going to be responsible for your final medical bills. More importantly, you should consider having a Advance Direct or Living Will in place to make sure your final wishes are followed, or you may find yourself being kept alive for a very long time in a hospital, especially if it appears that it's likely someone will foot the bill. Remember, this is a Buddhist country with a tremendous respect for life and there is much medical technology available to keep people alive long past when most westerners would consider it a good idea.

As for the handling of your remains after you die, the hospital will notify your Embassy and they will contact your wife. She will probably be encouraged to have your remains cremated here with the remains shipped to her. This can be arranged by the hospital for less than 20K. It sounds like the OPs wife remains in Australia while he comes here. The Embassy will keep in touch with the OPs wife and see that she receives the appropriate documents to be able to file insurance claims, close bank accounts, etc.

While it's good that the OP is worried about what should happen if he dies while in Thailand, given his advanced age, he should be more worried about what will happen if he becomes ill here in Thailand. Very few people just die suddenly. Usually, they're hospitalized first and often are unable to communicate their wishes, access funds, etc. He should plan ahead for this scenario.

The OP probably know about this, but be sure to register your travel plans on with the Aussie gov't website so the Embassy has contact details for your wife:

My wife knows that I'm not to be resuscitated or ventilated. Are you saying the hospital would over rule her if they thought I/ she could pay?

Anyway, if the hospital wishes to hold onto my body for ever, good luck to them, as I'm not paying to be kept alive.

Do you have a Living Will ?

Your wishes are better documented there than verbally to a Thai wife.

• Like 2

for a 100 grand i would tell her to come to thailand and have my body cremated at the local wat. then just fly back with the ashes and bury them where appropriate. who wants to fly in a cargo bay anyhow.

Remember that the ashes are a bit 'lumpy'. There will be bones in there as well because of the low cremation temperature.

• Like 1

If it involves paying a lawyer, no. Don't the doctors listen to someone's wife? Perhaps I could have it tattooed on my chest.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't have much of a life here in Australia, the only thing I have to look forward to is to travel to Thailand , I been to some other countries in the past but I feel more comfortable hanging out in Thailand, to be blunt I am very disalusioned with Australia now , it is simply out of control with the cost of living here, besides the government has so many hidden agendas just making laws after laws about anything and everything, I am of the opinion that Australia is no longer the lucky country it once was, all my life I have been somewhat of a wanderer and the best thing that's ever happened to me is I married 35 years ago to the most understanding wife who understands me completely in every way. I have a good marriage and for that I am thankful , I do not want my wife to spend all our life savings if I did die in Thailand.. Dead is dead and that's the end of it as far as I am concerned.NO I cannot get any travel insurance now at my age and condition, that's why I asked about any outstanding hospital bill left behind in Thailand.

sorry to hear of your demise.

I totally agree with your comments regarding the nanny state of oz. Its a messed up country now. People are driven by the high cost of living and thus everyone is chasing the $ and ripping each other off. I prefer the oz like it was in the late 80's / 90's.

lonely planet forum will miss your contributions assuming your the same guy

cheers and choke A

• Like 2

If it involves paying a lawyer, no. Don't the doctors listen to someone's wife? Perhaps I could have it tattooed on my chest.

You do not need a lawyer, there are specimens on the net, or I can let you have a copy for 500 Baht.

You really think the doctors will listen to a Thai wife ? Is she strong enough to tell them "let him die" ?

Think again.

Edited by Jip99

Just a thought...

If your hospital bills are not paid, what will the hospital do with your body?

Surely they will not store it indeffinately!

Unless you have some superstitous ( religious ) consern about what happens to your used up body...

Let the hospital keep it!

Just a thought...

If your hospital bills are not paid, what will the hospital do with your body?

Surely they will not store it indeffinately!

Unless you have some superstitous ( religious ) consern about what happens to your used up body...

Let the hospital keep it!

Giving verbal instructions that you don't want to be resuscitated or ventilated is a good start, but it's better to have your wishes explicitly in writing. Thai people have a tremendous respect for authority and life and doctors will do everything possible to prolong life, in my experience. If someone is brought into a hospital in need of lifesaving measures, they will start them first without asking if if there is a Living Will "on file". It's up to whomever comes in with that person to make the person's wishes know and a written document is the best way to do that.

Also, it's good to have your wishes for a funeral stated in writing. Thai widows are often pushed into having expensive ceremonies to "save face" to show they loved you. They know you wouldn't have wanted the money to be spent that way, yet they have to show their community how much they loved you. Put your funeral wishes in writing, too and that gives them something to show how they're fulfilling your wishes.

And in Thailand, the sacred remains from a cremation are bones, not ashes. They don't understand our desire to save the remains from the wooden coffin!

"Giving verbal instructions that you don't want to be resuscitated or ventilated is a good start, but it's better to have your wishes explicitly in writing. Thai people have a tremendous respect for authority and life and doctors will do everything possible to prolong life, in my experience. If someone is brought into a hospital in need of lifesaving measures, they will start them first without asking if if there is a Living Will "on file". It's up to whomever comes in with that person to make the person's wishes know and a written document is the best way to do that."

Yes, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya offers the facility of a living will, but it's unlikely the doctors would be aware of it in an emergency situation and most would probably be unwilling to comply with it if it meant causing/allowing death.

Information about living wills generally and the form for BPH can be found here:

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/living%20will%20form.pdf

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I was recently chatting to my wife about dying here etc, she was of the belief that if i died here and had a written instruction that I wished my body be left to medical science here then all costs of the eventual internment and cremation would be paid for. Might be worth looking into this so if the worst came to the worst your wife would have nothing to worry about, except perhpas EMS ing your ashes back home.

Id also personally suggest leaving written details etc with a mate over here as they could help if there were any problems.

Either way, youre only 80, I truly hope i read about this headline in years to come......

'Nonagenarian passes away in short time motel with 2 girls and huge smile'.......and not only the police pointing lol ;-)

Good luck mate, enjoy your trip :-)

• Like 1