WIFI repeater

uhuh

Do they work? That depends on what you are trying to extend.

If it's your own home consumer-brand system many of them work fine (with a caveat).

If it's a commercial system like a WiFi Hotspot then probably it won't work at all.

What brand is good? The usual recommendation is to buy the same brand as the system you are wanting to extend.

But there are other brands ... ASUS, TP-Link, D-Link, or any major consumer brand (not the bottom basement priced units)

Where can I buy one? Most computer shops sell them or can order for you. Online we recommend InvadeIT as they're a ThaiVisa sponsor.

The real question is, do you really need one?

Using a 'WiFi Repeater' is not without its issues. Because repeaters have to spend time 'listening' to the original signal, you can expect the top speed to be cut in half. Also, they don't always work with your WiFi Access Point original configuration, some tweaking of the settings may be needed.

Some people find replacing their original WiFi Router with something better designed works better than using a WiFi Repeater.

Buying a unit with Higher-Gain External Antennas, or even a flat Directional Flat Panel Antenna, can get you the distance you need.

Other people find running an Ethernet Cable from the original router to a second further location and adding another WiFi Access Point works better than a WiFi Repeater.

I have an ASUS RT-N-12 that I configured as a repeater so when we have people visiting I can just plug it into a kitchen outlet and all their WiFi toys work ... otherwise everyone is in the livingroom talking over the TV. But normally my WiFi repeater lives in its box.

• Like 2

The Wifi that the landlord installed in the hallway reaches more or less to my door. On the bed there is often no signal. 5m distance, but around a corner.

A cable from door to bed would be no problem, should i buy a Wifi adapter like an aircard and connect it to my samsung tablet by USB extension line (is that possible at all? )?

Landlord does not allow me to install my own ADSL line, and 3G is a bit slow and to expensive for e.g. movies.

If you are running strictly using a Tablet then your options are limited as tablets normally lack USB device support drivers.

You could try using something like this:

InvadeIT ZYXEL WIRELESS N300 RANGE EXTENDER (WRE2205)

img_wre2205_v2_p_380.jpg

Plug-and-Play Extension of Wireless Coverage
Designed as a user-friendly alternative to complicated, unsightly network extension options, the ZyXEL WRE2205 Wireless N300 Range Extender makes extending the range for an existing 802.11 b/g/n wireless network fast and easy. Just plug the WRE2205 directly into the power outlet, an LED signal strength indicator will let you know the most ideal installation place at a glance. One-click Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) setup makes installation frustration-free while a built-in Ethernet port provides instant network access to wired devices.

Easily Extends Wireless Coverage
Compatible with 802.11 b/g/n wireless networks, the ZyXEL WRE2205 can extend wireless range to cover your network devices throughout the house. You can easily enjoy videos streaming, gaming and Web surfing with tablets, laptops or smart phones anywhere at home, even at the otherwise hard-to-reach places.
It doesn't have external antenna but I like that it doesn't require special space, just need a snug power socket in a good signal area.
Many vendors are making similar products.
The OTHER alternative is to get your Landlord to let you run an Ethernet Cable from their Router/WiFi directly into your room and connect it to your own WiFi Access Point.