Snow! In Chiang Mai!

Frank James

It's beginning to look like...PROMO!

We had lunch in the basement of Maya Lifestyle Mall today. The food was great and the price was right. Upstairs, the place seems to be filling in with more shops, and there were a lot of Sunday shoppers. Maybe the place will meet the expectations of its developers yet.

The downside: there is no ATM anywhere on the premises for Bangkok Bank. Maybe they were not involved in the financing? There were ATMs for other banks, but not in large, logical easy-to-find clusters as found at KSK or Central Airport Plaza. I had to hike a fair distance up Nimmanhaemen Rd. to get to the Bangkok Bank branch (I KNOW you don't care!) and after that was not inclined to return to Maya. If they want people to spend cash in their mall, they need to stick ATMs from every bank in there, and make them easy to find.

For music they played a version of “Santa Claus is Comin' to Town” CONTINUOUSLY. It was sung by some unknown lounge singer who sounded vaguely like the late Bobby Darin. Imagine being a musically aware person, and having to work there all day, with that ONE SONG endlessly looping! Arrrggghhhhh!

Across the road, at the former “Think Park”, which has now become some sort of mini-mall, was the strangest “seasonal” promotion I have ever seen. They have bought in many tons of pure, fine, blindingly white SALT (!) and spread it all over the steps, sidewalks and courtyard. This is meant to simulate snow. There are a bunch of dead trees stuck around randomly, painted to look as if they have been snowed upon. The salt is at an average depth of 2 – 3 inches. It feels very strange to walk on.

Children were playing in the stuff, making little “snowmen”. After just a short time walking around in the area, watching people who seemed to be enjoying themselves, I could feel the extra dryness in the air, and tasted salt for an hour afterward. I got very thirsty. It was like a mini-journey across the salt flats of the great deserts, only with lots of happy Thai people milling about, taking pictures.

They also dumped liberal amounts of salt on the rose bushes around the perimeter. Wonder what will happen when they water those.

Only in Thailand...

post-177823-0-82111100-1419172045_thumb.post-177823-0-42101000-1419172156_thumb.post-177823-0-09690200-1419172240_thumb.

• Like 2

The downside: there is no ATM anywhere on the premises for Bangkok Bank. Maybe they were not involved in the financing?

There were ATMs for other banks, but not in large, logical easy-to-find clusters as found at KSK or Central Airport Plaza.

I had to hike a fair distance up Nimmanhaemen Rd. to get to the Bangkok Bank branch (I KNOW you don't care!)

and after that was not inclined to return to Maya. If they want people to spend cash in their mall, they need to stick ATMs from every bank in there, and make them easy to find.

All major bank ATM's take Bangkok Bank cards with no fee added

Give you a receipt as normal.

I often use K bank & SCB with my Bangkok Bank card

there is a BKK branch and a Krungsri about 400m W. on the same side of HK. Good sidewalk. Easier than Nimman branch; no busy streets to cross (or walk in). It's that new Harbour Plaza or something like that with a usually empty beer garden out front.

Last week I roughly counted 1,000 very large bags of salt being stored in the parking garage of the Eastin Hotel in Think Park (it still is called Think Park.)

I couldn't imagine what it was for. Silly me...I should have guessed. I was walking around there today. The salt even feels like snow under your feet, and the place is packed with people.

Edited by JulieM

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The downside: there is no ATM anywhere on the premises for Bangkok Bank. Maybe they were not involved in the financing?

There were ATMs for other banks, but not in large, logical easy-to-find clusters as found at KSK or Central Airport Plaza.

I had to hike a fair distance up Nimmanhaemen Rd. to get to the Bangkok Bank branch (I KNOW you don't care!)

and after that was not inclined to return to Maya. If they want people to spend cash in their mall, they need to stick ATMs from every bank in there, and make them easy to find.

Don't a lot of merchants also take ATM cards?

• Like 1

The Think Park covered in "snow" and decorated for Christmas is quite charming. There were also some "snowflakes" blowing around in certain sections. Hundreds of people were walking around and taking pictures, and kids loved it. I'm from Canada and it really felt like I was in a nordic town. Kudos to the Think Park for their creativity! Now if only a bit of REAL snow could fall in Chiang Mai for a month or so!

It's not completely impossible...

snowcj0.jpg

(Rural Chiang Rai in 1955)

That taught me a few new words in Thai language, so have to thank you, kind sir; The words were 'Hima' as in snow and 'thok' as to fall, and also made me wonder whoever has transliterated the word seiayang to chiang - all new stuff for my brain to try and wrap around, especially after a loooong evening with beverages giggle.gif

I still hope that no 'hima thok' for the next years to come w00t.gif

Edited by jabis

Not if you have the Bangkok Bank ATM card with the security chip. And given the level of fraud here, that's the only kind i would use.

• Like 2

Not if you have the Bangkok Bank ATM card with the security chip. And given the level of fraud here, that's the only kind i would use.

Mine which I have had for many years now does not have a chip so I don't know....

But I would not have a ATM/Debit card that was attached to any real money anyway so it is

never going to be a problem.Since a ATM/Debit card can only be used vs balance available

No credit attached.

My ATM/Debit is attached to a small account I feed from larger accounts that have no card access at all.

Edited by mania

Turning into a snowball fight? (at least i'm trying to get this thread back on topic smile.png )

The ATM part was On Topic since it was part of Original Post

But yes snowball or saltball fight wink.png

I had wondered if the kids tried it

Would sure sting the eyes of the recipient ohmy.png

You can use any ATM. No fees.

Above is only partly true. The first four transactions each month using another bank's ATMs are free, after that Bangkok Bank charges 10 Baht per transaction.

Sophon

You can use any ATM. No fees.

Above is only partly true. The first four transactions each month using another bank's ATMs are free, after that Bangkok Bank charges 10 Baht per transaction.

Sophon

True if used as follows

"Intra-region cash withdrawal or balance enquiry using a National ATM Pool"

It is always free If using for

"Cash withdrawal or balance enquiry using a Bangkok Bank ATM located within the same province where the account is held"

Scroll down to "ATM Services"

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/HelpCenter/Pages/FeeTable.aspx

Not 100% clear to be honest but know I have never been charged any fees if used within Chiangmai & do often use others machines

but maybe as you say & I have just not used other more than 4 x per month?

When I go to say Nan then I do see a fee...although I forget what it was

Edited by mania

Thanks for all of the ATM info. I wanted a Bangkok Bank ATM because I needed to transfer some baht from my account into my Wife's BKK account. I don't know all of the tricks, which to you high rollers is child's play.

As for the salt, I was concerned for the little kids, who have been known to put random stuff into their mouths and eyes. It will be interesting to see how they remove all of that salt, and where they will dispose of it.

Edited by Frank James

... unless you have one of the BKK Bank chipped cards, which only work in BKK Bank ATM's facepalm.gif