Snow! In Chiang Mai!

Frank James

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's not completely impossible...

xsnowcj0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GEaUnEOIWIkFy2

(Rural Chiang Rai in 1955)

That taught me a few new words in Thai language, so have to thank you, kind sir; The words were 'Hima' as in snow and 'thok' as to fall, and also made me wonder whoever has transliterated the word seiayang to chiang - all new stuff for my brain to try and wrap around, especially after a loooong evening with beverages giggle.gif alt=giggle.gif>

I still hope that no 'hima thok' for the next years to come alt=w00t.gif>

This is hotly contested,

Basically, there was hail after the rain that produced a snow-like blanket on the ground, which remained for about 14 hours. Sadly, 18 hours later the snow had disappeared.

Source: http://www.thethailandlife.com/snow-thailand

• Like 1

snowcj0.jpg

In 1982 while driving up to the CIA listening station in Doi Inthanon in February, right outside of the station where the Thai Air Force has guards, on a blustery Sunny Day, sun flurries fell from the sky and immediately dissipated as soon as the hit the warmer asphalt road. It was snowing but few believe me that it happened late in the afternoon.

I was told of this salt/snow thing, well it would seem winter wonder land is in trouble as the complaints now start to roll in..... The snow is starting to fan out and annoying road users.

The order has just gone out...Clean it up! So if you want to check it out you better get a wiggle on and get down there before it all melts.....away!

On a foot note...... What a bunch of boneheads...All action no consequence.

I was told of this salt/snow thing, well it would seem winter wonder land is in trouble as the complaints now start to roll in..... The snow is starting to fan out and annoying road users.

I kind of imagine it could be slippery on a bike/motorcycle/scooter since it is not unlike sand

Which on a road can be very slippery on two wheels

Did Think Park have grass before they put the salt down?

The grass was removed with the recent construction. It's a mixture of different materials now, cement, some type of cobblestone, etc now. The small bits of grass and some of the wooden steps were carefully covered in plastic before the salt went down.

I saw a crew cleaning up some of the salt last night, right next to the intersection where you cross to Maya. They were using brooms and a massive vacuum cleaner, the likes of which I have never seen before. It's going to take them forever to get rid of all that salt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

xsnowcj0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GEaUnEOIWIkFy2

That taught me a few new words in Thai language, so have to thank you, kind sir; The words were 'Hima' as in snow and 'thok' as to fall, and also made me wonder whoever has transliterated the word seiayang to chiang - all new stuff for my brain to try and wrap around, especially after a loooong evening with beverages giggle.gif alt=giggle.gif>

I still hope that no 'hima thok' for the next years to come alt=w00t.gif>

This is hotly contested,

Basically, there was hail after the rain that produced a snow-like blanket on the ground, which remained for about 14 hours. Sadly, 18 hours later the snow had disappeared.

Source: http://www.thethailandlife.com/snow-thailand

Right! Though would hail stay put on a slanted roof? Typically hail rolls/bounces right off..

post-64232-0-61917600-1419242974_thumb.j

:)

snowcj0.jpg

That taught me a few new words in Thai language, so have to thank you, kind sir; The words were 'Hima' as in snow and 'thok' as to fall, and also made me wonder whoever has transliterated the word seiayang to chiang - all new stuff for my brain to try and wrap around, especially after a loooong evening with beverages giggle.gif

I still hope that no 'hima thok' for the next years to come w00t.gif

It is Chiang Rai. There is a very small difference between a 'ch' and a 's'.

ช ช ช้าง cho chang elephant ch t [tɕʰ] [t̚] low ซ ซ โซ่ so so chain s t [t̚] low

mania, on 21 Dec 2014 - 21:43, said:

The downside: there is no ATM anywhere on the premises for Bangkok Bank. Maybe they were not involved in the financing?

There were ATMs for other banks, but not in large, logical easy-to-find clusters as found at KSK or Central Airport Plaza.

I had to hike a fair distance up Nimmanhaemen Rd. to get to the Bangkok Bank branch (I KNOW you don't care!)

and after that was not inclined to return to Maya. If they want people to spend cash in their mall, they need to stick ATMs from every bank in there, and make them easy to find.

All major bank ATM's take Bangkok Bank cards with no fee added

Give you a receipt as normal.

I often use K bank & SCB with my Bangkok Bank card

Not with the Be 1st Smart card. Only Bangkok Bank ATM's will accept them. That's the chip and pin card.

mania, on 21 Dec 2014 - 21:43, said:

The downside: there is no ATM anywhere on the premises for Bangkok Bank. Maybe they were not involved in the financing?

There were ATMs for other banks, but not in large, logical easy-to-find clusters as found at KSK or Central Airport Plaza.

I had to hike a fair distance up Nimmanhaemen Rd. to get to the Bangkok Bank branch (I KNOW you don't care!)

and after that was not inclined to return to Maya. If they want people to spend cash in their mall, they need to stick ATMs from every bank in there, and make them easy to find.

All major bank ATM's take Bangkok Bank cards with no fee added

Give you a receipt as normal.

I often use K bank & SCB with my Bangkok Bank card

Not with the Be 1st Smart card. Only Bangkok Bank ATM's will accept them. That's the chip and pin card.

That sounds like a very practical card to have NOT.

• Like 1

Gee. thanks for sharing that. So incensed that you couldn't use your ATM card for free when in actual fact you could. I'll bet you're the life & soul at social gatherings - do you get invited any more?

Who said anything about being "incensed?" I was just surprised that this flashy place wasn't stocked with ATMs representing all of the Thai banking institutions, as most of the local malls are. Emotion really played no part in this. Have another Chang.

That sounds like a very practical card to have NOT.

555 I actually have a Be 1st card but I guess it is the Be 1st dumb model card as it is accepted by all machines ohmy.png

Edited by mania

Gee. thanks for sharing that. So incensed that you couldn't use your ATM card for free when in actual fact you could. I'll bet you're the life & soul at social gatherings - do you get invited any more?

Who said anything about being "incensed?" I was just surprised that this flashy place wasn't stocked with ATMs representing all of the Thai banking institutions, as most of the local malls are. Emotion really played no part in this. Have another Chang.

I guess I merely surmised you were incensed by it because of the 5000 words you wrote waffling on about it! I'd love to have another Chang as it happens but can't until March unfortunately!

snowcj0.jpg

That taught me a few new words in Thai language, so have to thank you, kind sir; The words were 'Hima' as in snow and 'thok' as to fall, and also made me wonder whoever has transliterated the word seiayang to chiang - all new stuff for my brain to try and wrap around, especially after a loooong evening with beverages giggle.gif

I still hope that no 'hima thok' for the next years to come w00t.gif

It is Chiang Rai. There is a very small difference between a 'ch' and a 's'.

Indeed I misread the glyph into `so so` s, not the low class `cho chang` ch, well live & learn smile.png (shortened the quote because of it's formatting)