Was just charged 180 Baht at an orange and blue ATM

EDIT: seems like (almost) all banks have risen to 180 Baht for both MC and VISA wink.png

(My last withdrawal was at an AEON ATM with VISA card: 150 about two months ago)

Orange/blue?

Orange/dark blue: Bangkok Bank?

Yep,

Bangkok Bank now takes 180 for both MC and VISA:

• Cash withdrawal using a MasterCard issued by a foreign bank 180Bt per transaction
  • Cash withdrawal using a VISA card issued by a foreign bank 180Bt per transaction

Kasikorn:

From Feb 25, 2014 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines will be charged at 180 Baht per transaction for VISA card and MasterCard, 50 Baht per transaction for China UnionPay (CUP) card and 20 Baht per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer company in Thailand (Non Bank).

SCB: 180/180.

Can only find it in Thai (!) tongue.png

http://www.scb.co.th/stocks/media/ratesfees/fee-t3-c4-140211.pdf

Krungsri:

Assuming that this link still is valid:

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/cb4916d7-8cb7-4134-87d6-e236303659a5/Fees-New-19122013.aspx

they charge 180 for MC and 150 for VISA.

Combined with the fact that their ATMs spit up to 30000 Baht in one transaction they would be a "good choice".

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Just make sure not to use DCC (dynamic currency conversion).

Never accept transactions where you see an amount in your home currency,

Cancel! Awful exchange rates.

Make sure you are charged in Thai Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

ATM's here are for mugs. i never use them. get your life/finances organised and you wont have to either. coffee1.gif

And how do you get your money here?

Let us share your wisdom.

Not many will believe, but the overall best rate is achieved by bringing cash and exchange at the specialized money changers.

Today you get:

USD: 32.78

EUR: 40,1

GBP: 51.2

(no fees attached)

Try to beat it,

Yes I know this is not the no. one tip for expats living here (like me tongue.png ).

Edited by KhunBENQ

How Expats handle their own particular finances using ATMs or not cannot be put into a cookie cutter solution - one size does not fit all... Making statements about your financial handling preferences - that they should apply to all is just juvenile smug arrogance. Everyone has a different financial situation and no one solution can be applied.

Using ATM as my cash source works just fine for me and many others... My primary bank reimburses my foreign ATM charges of 180 Baht - up to $15.00 each month each account and I have two accounts -- so I never really pay an ATM fee. Also my bank does not charge its own ATM fee - or bank fee for using my ATM. And there is no foreign transaction charge that my math can detect - nor is one broken out as a charge on the ledger or statement. I usually get around an average of 31.5 Baht per USD in the exchange.

And I am sure this is the case for many others. So - what is the big deal that we should avoid? Answer: Nothing.

My other Card: When using my American Express Bluebird Card for ATM withdraws at Bangkok Bank, I am charged 50 Baht for a typical 6k or 8K or 10K cash withdraw... and AMEX/Bluebird charges me $2.50 -- neither of which reimbursed to me. But the exchange rate has been averaging about 32.65 Baht per USD. Of course there is a daily limit on ATM withdraws - and with this bluebird card only $2000 can be processed through the card each month. But it is very handy at times. Using it for online purchases - and or ATM there is no foreign transaction fee - period. I use the card on occasion for airline ticket purchase as there is no over done security feature at the end of the transaction as is the case with MasterCard - which often fails.

To get the particulars on the AMEX Bluebird Pre-Paid Debit/ATM card -- go to bluebird.com -- you will notice that this card is also a full checking account if you want to use those features.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

^ so you suggest I leave the country every year to bring cash in? Bit of a waste, no? What I don't understand is those permanent whiteys with no local bank account.

Read my post and understand the irony.

Sure its for tourists only!

As I can (will) not try on my own, I simply have to believe this "walk into the bank, no fee" tip.

Sure no fee at the Thai bank.

Bur for my German VISA card it is 100% clear that my home bank will charge 1.75% fee for such a transaction.

Its explicitely stated in the terms of use.

EDIT: just rechecked, its even worse with 3% fee for cash withdrawl at the bank counter.

On the other hand the same bank reimburses the 150/180 Baht fee for the ATM use.

So I will surely stick to this method.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As I can (will) not try on my own, I simply have to believe this "walk into the bank, no fee" tip.

Sure no fee at the Thai bank.

Bur for my German VISA card it is 100% clear that my home bank will charge 1.75% fee for such a transaction.

Its explicitely stated in the terms of use.

EDIT: just rechecked, its even worse with 3% fee for cash withdrawl at the bank counter.

On the other hand the same bank reimburses the 150/180 Baht fee for the ATM use.

So I will surely stick to this method.

KhunBENQ,

I previously used a US bank that charged 3% foreign fee (Chase), then later switched to a bank that had 1% foreign fee (USAA), then when I got assigned to the region full time I found a bank that charges 0% foreign fee (Charles Schwab). Also if I wanted to wire a large sum to my Thai bank account its $25 instead of $40 at the other banks. Also Schwab will reimburse the foreign ATM fee if I actually use a foreign ATM.

Key is to find the bank that has the best foreign fees if you can. In some countries you can't find zero but good to find the lowest possible. Also changed my credit cards to Capital One and Barclay Card as they charge 0.00% foreign fee.

This has worked for me this past year and hopefully works well in the future.

But for the method I described I did not use the bank counter on the inside. I used the money window on the outside. When I check my transaction online, it shows as a VISA transaction, not as an ATM transaction as it would when I use the ATM.

Mileage may vary be depending on one's bank, I ended up finding the bank in the US that would give me the best foreign transaction deal.

Maybe there is a bank in Germany that you might be able to find similar terms?

• Like 1

Just make sure not to use DCC (dynamic currency conversion).

Never accept transactions where you see an amount in your home currency,

Cancel! Awful exchange rates.

Make sure you are charged in Thai Baht.

It depends on the card you're using and the amount you're taking out.

Some UK banks that issue cards have a fairly hefty spread themselves on foreign transactions, and if there's also a charge per use and you're taking out a relatively small amount (i.e. < 5,000) - the DCC can actually be slightly better for you.

Obviously, if you're here as an expat, I'd expect you to be using a card that isn't in the group with massive charges, but for tourists who've not picked the best card for travelling with, it can work out cheaper.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ATM's here are for mugs. i never use them. get your life/finances organised and you wont have to either. coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I bet you're a joy to be around, insulting, patronising and a clear fountain of knowledge.

• Like 1

ATM's here are for mugs. i never use them. get your life/finances organised and you wont have to either. coffee1.gif

And the same circular narrow argument continues....

Depends on your home country, depends on your bank, depends on how much you withdraw.... etc etc etc...

In many cases the ATM is the best option - best for you doesn't mean best for everyone in the world

Cash advance,present my Oz credit union debit card ,passport,sign photocopy of it,walk out with cash ....no charge.

Bangkok Bank..never use an ATM except for local savings account with small balance.Interest rates here are not condusive to having money sitting around.

• Like 1

Rule number 1: Bring as much cash as you can into Thailand. Best exchange rates at money changers, NOT banks.

Rule number 2: Research the ATM's. Some allow 20K withdrawals, some 25K, some 30K. Maximize your withdrawal to minimize your cost.

Aeon used to charge zero, don't know what they are charging now. Backed by the Japanese.

They've ALL been charging B180 for a while, now. Except BBL, and I haven't drawn funds on my GBP card for a few months, so they might well have gone the same route. But their FX rates do tend to be better.

Last week I withdrew from BBL and it was 150 but very recent reports have shown they are now at 180 for Visa. Their website reflects that change also.

Bangkok Bank don't Charge me any ATM usage fees unless I'm upcountry but then I have my Thai accounts with them.

Unless in a dire emergency I'll never use my UK cards in Thailand, even when transferring relatively small amounts SWIFT fees @ the BKKB exchange rate & fees are better than any credit card will give you. If you are a frequent visitor to LOS I'd advise opening an account in the country I'm not sure how easy that is now for people who don't have a Non-Imm visa even back in the day Wifey had to sign documents so I could open mine. I think Krung-Thai & Kasikorn are the most flexible from what others have told me.

Take your card to a Bangkok bank and don't use the ATM. Use the window where they change money just outside the bank. I use my Charles Schwab Visa Debit Card at the money window that's on the outside of the Bangkok bank between Sukhumvit Soi 8 and 10. More accurately between Suk Soi 8 and Chuvit Park.

I ask for XX,XXX baht and they give me the amount I asked with no fee. I check my bank and Schwab gives me at or better than the wire (T/T) rate from the bank. Schwab charges me 0 zero fees for foreign transactions. You must bring your passport to do this. You do not need to belong to Bangkok Bank. Also you can take out more than the 20-25k that most ATMs allow.

I have no other experience at any other Bangkok Bank so your mileage may vary at other locations. I found this out this method when I went into the bank and asked to take out more than 25k in one shot. The fellow walked me out to the money window and that"s how I found this out.

I take the money I get from the window then walk right into the bank and deposit to my account.

Hope this helps. If you are able to do this at other Bangkok Bank locations post your experience in this thread. Or any other bank for that matter.

I have a HSBC Premier debit card that doesn't charge any foreign transaction. However, if you buy THB with your card at the currency exchange counter, you are going to pay Bangkok Bank currency rate. But if you go directly inside the branch and you make a counter withdrawal with your card (they call it "cash advance" the last time I went), you only pay Visa or Master Card exchange rate, which both have better rates than the bank itself.

Hope it helps.