Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Yarwoods credibility took a hammering months ago.

Samui Times have some nerve publishing a picture of a medic trying to save life after the hatchet-job they did on him last month. I hope their sponsors picked up on it.

spectator2020 is Ian Yarwood, and so is Norinfo and KerryK.
Yes, he is that shameless.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Too much unclarity here.

He should as an instructor always be in direct control, a divemaster is normally not authorised to teach this, unless he has done an additional course and it is trained in confined water.

all i know is that a woman was killed. and people are trying to put this issue under the rug. im on ko tao now.  thier are literally a hundred or more farang here working at dive shops for peanuts to live the beach bum life.  at the very least , in 5 meter water on her first dive with the instructor out of sight. and no boat above to protect situation . wouldn't their be a red inflatable buoy on the water to warn other boats of diver below.  or am i just crazy to think this is just common sense. how many more have to die. that is what justice is about. penalizing the perps. so it dont happen again. but since the perps have escaped the country, it will happen again over and over .  one must be persistant to get the perps to answer for thier actions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

I think if you go back a few posts yogavnture said he is currently on Koh Tao itself so I guess he is in Thailand and that he is probably over 12 years old. 

im actually 56 years old and i avoid dive shops here like the plague . they only want customers for drinking money.  now its not all shops. but alot of them on sairee......if you go thier in evenings they are sitting around getting drunk. i only work with professionals. plain and simple i wish i could have conveyed that to the deceased woman

• Like 1

im assuming that since scuba junction had no boat in area. this was a shore dive . and in 5 meter water. their have been other instances on ko tao where people have been hit by boats. is it a stretch to think the divemaster should have had an inflatable red buoy warning boats of diver below. >?  i have almost been hit on ko tao snorkeling. i snorkel deep so i have to watch it but the longtails can be fast. and if the wind /current is not in your favor u cant always sense them coming. but in general , i would say the boat men on ko tao are alot better at looking for snorkelers than in past years. thier should be a mandatory penalty for negligence for hitting a diver . or snorkeler. and i am posting so much because its obvious the dive master is guilty of something here. why else would he run off when a trial is in two weeks. he swam off on day one and ran off after the death occured

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 12:04 PM, evadgib said:

Pursuing PADI and/or the company would seem a better option but I wouldn't be optimistic either way. As for the DM; If no restrictions were placed upon him as part of this investigation he was entirely at liberty to do as he pleases re travel & geographic location.

RIP to the deceased & condolences to her family.

Interesting opinion.

PADI washed their hands of Ricky Collins by booting him out of their organisation.  Problem solved right? But then the Canadian lady was run over by someone cutting through a swimming area. All covered up for a while by the kind medic who previously tried to save Silje.  How thoughtful of him.

PADI hasn’t prevented these deaths and neither have the divemasters or boat drivers or anyone who makes excuses for them.

”If no restrictions” that’s quite a big IF.

I think some people want to protect PADI and some want to protect the individuals and that many camps are happy to shaft Silje’s parents and all the future dive students. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

The Samui Times editor is allowed to set the record straight isn't she?  I think the sponsors would have picked up on that.

The Samui Times is run from England, she moved from Samui some years ago. 

5 hours ago, yogavnture said:

all i know is that a woman was killed. and people are trying to put this issue under the rug

You want to know where Collins is .  Just ask his wife Deborah Collins . She has an open facebook page here. Deborah Collins 

She works in the UK so I think it's safe to assume that her husband is also with her.  So I would contact Scotland Yard , or at least ask the local police to question him about this. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, yogavnture said:

all i know is that a woman was killed. and people are trying to put this issue under the rug. im on ko tao now.  thier are literally a hundred or more farang here working at dive shops for peanuts to live the beach bum life.  at the very least , in 5 meter water on her first dive with the instructor out of sight. and no boat above to protect situation . wouldn't their be a red inflatable buoy on the water to warn other boats of diver below.  or am i just crazy to think this is just common sense. how many more have to die. that is what justice is about. penalizing the perps. so it dont happen again. but since the perps have escaped the country, it will happen again over and over .  one must be persistant to get the perps to answer for thier actions. 

The perps leaving has no bearing on the safety, the boat and shop operators are the ones who are responsible and the only ones who could change things.

5 hours ago, balo said:

You want to know where Collins is .  Just ask his wife Deborah Collins . She has an open facebook page here. Deborah Collins 

She works in the UK so I think it's safe to assume that her husband is also with her.  So I would contact Scotland Yard , or at least ask the local police to question him about this. 

Good post balo 

IF the Thai cops wanted to have something that vaguely resembles a proper trial where everyone has a chance to have their say they would get Ricky Collins extradited.  He should be easy to find.  The guy’s not a terrorist!

Just like our friend AleG they probably want a botched trial where the boat driver gets a small slap on the wrist and the absent foreigner can be blamed but never given a chance to have his say.

And then everyone forgets this tragedy ever happened. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yogavnture said:

IME SMBs (Surface Marker Bouys for the non divers) were quite often treated as slalom markers by (some) boats or any passing jet-ski :sad:

Beaver-Round-Surface-Marker-Buoy_2000x.jpg?v=1505840296

11 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

Good post balo 

IF the Thai cops wanted to have something that vaguely resembles a proper trial where everyone has a chance to have their say they would get Ricky Collins extradited.  He should be easy to find.  The guy’s not a terrorist!

Just like our friend AleG they probably want a botched trial where the boat driver gets a small slap on the wrist and the absent foreigner can be blamed but never given a chance to have his say.

And then everyone forgets this tragedy ever happened. 

I'm not your friend Ian, why don't you don't come clear and stop this little farce of yours? Three fake accounts on a single thread is a bit too much, even for you.

6 hours ago, balo said:

ricky ran TWO times. once he ran during situation . he just went off?  leaving the newbies to the apprentice?  then when she died. he ran off so he didnt have to face the music. lame.  and yes im over 12 years old. any 12 year old would say that if it was a shore dive in 5 meter water. knowing that thai boats run rampant.........to put a diver below red buoy in place. i think it costs about 350 baht for an inflatable one

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AleG said:

I'm not your friend Ian, why don't you don't come clear and stop this little farce of yours? Three fake accounts on a single thread is a bit too much, even for you.

Spectator2020 does seem to have a single-point agenda hey?

Every single post since joining ThaiVisa has been on this particular topic (which is more then 3 years old by the way).

I think that a reminder from the Forum Rules is in order:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

and

24) Multiple accounts by the same person are not allowed. If you have access issues contact support at https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/contact

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

The perps leaving has no bearing on the safety, the boat and shop operators are the ones who are responsible and the only ones who could change things.

disagree. the buck stops at the dive master on duty. ricky was on duty . responsible for the lives of the newbies.  i think she did an uncontrolled ascent which is what ricky will testify to..........but why did she do that. ?  maybe because dive master was  not thier to control situation . which is his job!. 

8 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

if thais can ban cigarettes on the beaches. then they can ban running over farang swimmers by boats too!

A ban on running over swimmers and divers?  Good idea yogavnture.

A ban like that might upset a lot of locals though.  They will probably say the tourists must accept Thai culture including the right to run over falang swimmers in high powered boats. 

I think some posters on this thread would oppose such a radical but excellent idea.

• Thanks 1

i wish i had all the facts of this case.  im assuming this was a shore dive ....if the incident occurred nearby scuba junction shop in the water . i think we can assume this was a shore dive. the boat man that ran her over. is not at fault if he was not involved in the dive.  its not his duty to be looking for bubbles as he does his daily job, on the sea. but as i recollect from last years brief  . he might have been hired by scuba junction to help out on this dive. this is important info. if not he is innocent. and the dive master is solely at fault. and he is on the run because he knows hes solely at fault. he should serve jail time for gross negligence . for not properly protecting the zone above the divers to any degree. and for leaving the scene of the dive during the dive and letting his apprentices deal with brand new divers on thier first dive. where is ricky. we need to force him to come to Thailand. call scotland yard

what was the other girls account of what happened. how about the apprentices what is thier account of what happened. (but they work for scuba junction and ricky so thier words might not carry much weight) what about other witnesses , the boat man. what is the boat mans story?  why was he their?

• Like 1

the lawyer quits two weeks before the inquiry.  maybe this was a tactic.  as the parties like ricky are no where to be found . without ricky thier isnt much of a case unless they proceed in his absence. which would not work in rickys favor. im no lawyer . but this whole case is fishy. someone has posted rickys and his wife facebook. i wonder if either of the girls who were affected have fb pages?  post that.  sometimes familys will let fb pages remain even after death.  im only being militant because im in ko tao. i can see all the twenty somethings working for peanuts at the dive shops. and how many go around on motorbikes with no shoes what so ever.  i used to tell guys on big dirt bikes back in the days here when roads were not paved. if they were barefoot on Honda xr250s that it was stupidity to go barefoot on a motorbike.   its not just divers killed here.. every year, on ko tao a few tourists get whacked on motorbikes too. yesterday i was going up a steep hill and here comes a tourist down the wrong side of the road with his gal in tow on back and we almost have an accident.  this place is downright dangerous in and out of the water. i dont have much respect for most farang  here

• Like 2

according to the information i have seen on internet. it has no mention if this was a shore dive or if a dive boat was above for the girls ........it only mentions that ricky is under investigation to see if a dive marker was being used. how many years would it take to find that out?  and that the dive boat operator who hit her was arrested as he was dropping other divers off and he had no idea other divers were in area.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

according to the information i have seen on internet. it has no mention if this was a shore dive or if a dive boat was above for the girls ........it only mentions that ricky is under investigation to see if a dive marker was being used. how many years would it take to find that out?  and that the dive boat operator who hit her was arrested as he was dropping other divers off and he had no idea other divers were in area.  

There was very little information on the Internet 3 years ago when the accident first occurred.

In mid-January Norinfo was good enough to add info from a Norwegian story to this thread.  Nor-info (Norwegian Information suggests this newbie was Norwegian) has been criticised for this transgression by someone who added nothing to the discussion.

I spotted the story on the internet several days later and after others had already been sharing it on Facebook.  Later still I noticed the TV thread.

I don’t know who Norinfo is but their post was very informative. Thanks Norinfo! 

A post commenting on moderation has been removed:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

24 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

articles im reading say it was her own fault for doing an uncontrolled ascent? 

When people don’t know what actually happened some of them are tempted to make up stuff especially if it suits them.

With a depth of only 4-5m Silje had very little margin to avoid the propeller.

If the folks in charge of PADI in their wisdom decided to boot Ricky Collins out of their organisation then presumably there was an investigation and Ricky had a chance to put his side of the story.

PADI has been strangely silent though. Perhaps they don’t want attention drawn to this fatality and their own shortcomings?

9 hours ago, yogavnture said:

disagree. the buck stops at the dive master on duty. ricky was on duty . responsible for the lives of the newbies.  i think she did an uncontrolled ascent which is what ricky will testify to..........but why did she do that. ?  maybe because dive master was  not thier to control situation . which is his job!. 

Please don't jump from general statements to s specific one.

The problem here is the basic safety structure is not sufficient. Acting outside of that structure makes it worse.