Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

50 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

in my country usa their would be a huge lawsuit. but im sure nobody at fault has any money. from what you say thier were two beginners with APPRENTICEs.  that isnt right?  if they were newbies shouldn't the boss be around to ensure their safety?  i assume the gal died immediately. ?  or was she alive when they got her to land?

No, Silje did not die immediately but the reports do not say how many minutes or hours elapsed before she succumbed to her injuries.  There is a picture of her in the first reports getting some sort of first aid.

Silje Fauskerud Mathison.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
57 minutes ago, yogavnture said:
in my country usa their would be a huge lawsuit. but im sure nobody at fault has any money. from what you say thier were two beginners with APPRENTICEs.  that isnt right?  if they were newbies shouldn't the boss be around to ensure their safety?  i assume the gal died immediately. ?  or was she alive when they got her to land?

You seem quite animated about it, you should lobby the govt to increase safety standards, I'll leave it with you

Safety standards DEFINITELY need improvement but it seems nothing changes.  Tourists keep getting hit by boats taking shortcuts or by general carelessness.  There is probably plenty of blame to go around.

54 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

where is ricky collins. he is American.?  i would find that dude and get this sorted out.  he is responsible. i want to hear his story. dont let him off hook if it takes 20 years. i would hire a private investigator to find that guy

I WANT TO HEAR HIS SIDE OF THE STORY

Ricky should be given a chance to tell his side of the story although he has a right to silence if he does face criminal charges.  The parents definitely deserve a full explanation from everyone involved.

PADI has taken an easy course in just kicking him out of their organisation but has PADI done much to promote safety on Koh Tao and eliminate any dangerous practices?  I would like to hear from a PADI spokesperson too. 

What do the people in charge of the island have to say?  The police?  The mayor?  The business owners?  Are they all just hoping it blows over?

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

its not the govt. its padi. they fired the guy and ran away from issue

It's both PADI and the government

AND the governor of Surathani AND the mayor of Koh Tao AND the police AND the boat driver AND Pura Vida Diving AND Scuba Junction Diving AND .....

Meanwhile nothing changes ...

what nationality is ricky Collins? is he a brit?  if so i would assume that the brits would help locate him and get his side of story

From his Facebook page.  Can you work out whether he is British or American?

About Ricky Collins

WORK
EDUCATION
CURRENT CITY AND HOME TOWN
ABOUT RICKY
  • married to xxxxxxx collins,waiting to do a diving instructor couse on koh tao.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2014 at 2:55 PM, cup-O-coffee said:

Where was the dive master? Aren't these dive masters supposed to be aware of things like this? I could be wrong, but I am curious if it wasn't only the captain's negligence. Even the other divers should have been aware of this and smacked that captain in the head and turned off the motor.

And RIP to the girl, but (respectfully) wouldn't one under the water hear that motor amplified well before they got near the surface and at least have a good look before rising further? I do not know, so that is why I am curious. This makes me wonder how many near misses go unreported.

"This makes me wonder how many near misses go unreported."

1 hour ago, Kerry K said:

Yarwoods credibility took a hammering months ago.

Samui Times have some nerve publishing a picture of a medic trying to save life after the hatchet-job they did on him last month. I hope their sponsors picked up on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

About Ricky Collins

WORK
EDUCATION
ABOUT RICKY
  • married to xxxxxxx collins,waiting to do a diving instructor couse on koh tao.

good post. he looks british to me. why he went to high school in Arkansas i dont understand. maybe he had American mom and brit dad 

• Thanks 1

Just now, yogavnture said:

he has a facebook page but cant be found?  seems odd.

whats the story about ricky . he left Thailand . was he supposed to ?  wasn't he being questioned in this matter. i dont want to crucify the dude without facts . but what are the facts. is he responsible or not!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Samui Times have some nerve publishing a picture of a medic trying to save life after the hatchet-job they did on him last month. I hope their sponsors picked up on it.

good article though. what a beautiful woman. the gal that passed. she deserves justice. the article says its a norwegian based thai law firm. i suspect another lawyer will be assigned to this.. we dont know why the other one quit. i agree 100 percent get the two blokes together to testify . wait if you have to.  cant thai authorities force ricky back here if hes in uk?  all i know for sure as an advanced diver is the buck stops at the dive master. the two girls hadnot dived before and he left the scene .? that alone makes him responsible. i suspect the girls panicked and wanted to get to surface.  the water was only 5 meters deep what the hell was the boat man doing!!!!!!!!  would he not see bubbles. ?????  in usa 15k in law fees is nothing.  may justice for the poor womans family be served.

• Like 1

whats the story about ricky . he left Thailand . was he supposed to ?  wasn't he being questioned in this matter. i dont want to crucify the dude without facts . but what are the facts. is he responsible or not!
I know you are obsessed with this guy but this problem is far bigger than one guy and Padi won't solve it so where do you go next?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
12 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

I know you are obsessed with this guy but this problem is far bigger than one guy and Padi won't solve it so where do you go next?

im not obsessed with ricky  i feel for the gals parents who want justice. and hope fully prevent a further death of an innocent girl who trusted a dive master with her life

• Like 2

No, Silje did not die immediately but the reports do not say how many minutes or hours elapsed before she succumbed to her injuries.  There is a picture of her in the first reports getting some sort of first aid.

Silje Fauskerud Mathison.jpg

anything that brings out the facts will help..  i wonder if she was on samui she could have been saved?  

I WANT TO HEAR HIS SIDE OF THE STORY

Ricky should be given a chance to tell his side of the story although he has a right to silence if he does face criminal charges.  The parents definitely deserve a full explanation from everyone involved.

PADI has taken an easy course in just kicking him out of their organisation but has PADI done much to promote safety on Koh Tao and eliminate any dangerous practices?  I would like to hear from a PADI spokesperson too. 

What do the people in charge of the island have to say?  The police?  The mayor?  The business owners?  Are they all just hoping it blows over?

good comment. if she paid for a padi dive wouldn't padi cover some sort of legal fees for such an event.   padi wants to sweep this issue under the rug. are not fees paid to padi for protection . ?  i will look on padi site

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
22 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

the court. justice. no its not bigger than one guy . its ricky. ricky was the boss.........he should have communicated to the boat man under his helm that the boat man should look for bubbles in the 5 meter water and not chop the people up who were newbies and might not know what they were doing and might possibly panic if stressed. i wonder if the girls did a pool dive before going out.  i think padi has strict (yea right) guidelines for going out to sea for a dive . the first one..  were the girls properly trained beforehand. this is important information. ricky must have had others working at the shop. that could talk of this.  time is off essence . need to get the boat man .........the other girl.........ricky..........and all the workkers at the shop infront of a judge. this shouldn't take long.  

some newbie divers when panicked . and dont have proper under water support will do an uncontrolled acent in a panic. i suspect she did that right into the boats propeller.........the boat man shouldnot  have been thier in 5 meter water with a new diver?  ricky would know this.  but now hes on the run to avoid court. uk authorities should force him to come to thailand

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You might be going off on a bit of a tangent there evangib.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Steven Drylie do a hatchet job on himself?  He had one story which he committed to text when Luke Miller's body was found and had a completely different story 18 months later when he came out swinging against the Samui Times editor.  She just pointed out that he was fibbing and published some screenshots to prove it.

The Samui Times editor is allowed to set the record straight isn't she?  I think the sponsors would have picked up on that.

6 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

some newbie divers when panicked . and dont have proper under water support will do an uncontrolled acent in a panic. i suspect she did that right into the boats propeller.........the boat man shouldnot  have been thier in 5 meter water with a new diver?  ricky would know this.  but now hes on the run to avoid court. uk authorities should force him to come to thailand

plus the fact thier would be bubble right below the boat man . ricky didnt train the boat man correctly. i dive alot. i rely on my dive master to control the situation. from the boat man to other boat men to other divers .  everything. unfortunately the gal went to the wrong shop and paid with her precious life. and ruined her parents life too............where are u ricky?

About Ricky Collins

WORK
EDUCATION
ABOUT RICKY

i think hes a brit. call scuba junction they would know. hunt him down. what a coward. runnin and dont have guts to face the parents 

2 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

plus the fact thier would be bubble right below the boat man . ricky didnt train the boat man correctly. i dive alot. i rely on my dive master to control the situation. from the boat man to other boat men to other divers .  everything. unfortunately the gal went to the wrong shop and paid with her precious life. and ruined her parents life too............where are u ricky?

The boat that killed Silje was from Pura Vida Diving.  Ricky Collins was with Scuba Junction Diving.  They were only in about 4 - 5 metres of water.  I do not see any mention in any story that Scuba Junction Diving had a boat in the vicinity.  Maybe they did and no one was on board as they perhaps were all in the water.  Some good points throughout your posts though.

maybe scuba scuba 3 has some info. you know that when an arsonist burns a building its common for them to go back to scene of crime. 

i would think some dive masters on ko tao would be following this story and would have an opinion on this subject

1 minute ago, Spectator2020 said:

The boat that killed Silje was from Pura Vida Diving.  Ricky Collins was with Scuba Junction Diving.  They were only in about 4 - 5 metres of water.  I do not see any mention in any story that Scuba Junction Diving had a boat in the vicinity.  Maybe they did and no one was on board as they perhaps were all in the water.  Some good points throughout your posts though.

or maybe it was a shore dive . the first and last for the poor soul. but hey everybody else got to go home and have a beer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
30 minutes ago, yogavnture said:
im wondering if some of the nay sayers here are actually dive shop workers on ko tao that want this issue to go away so they can continue to work here illegally and drink beer in paradise . and use tourists to pay for cigarettes

I'm wondering if you are 12 years old and never been to Thailand

I think if you go back a few posts yogavnture said he is currently on Koh Tao itself so I guess he is in Thailand and that he is probably over 12 years old. 

any dive masters out thier?  read the samui article . is ricky liable for leaving the scene?

Too much unclarity here.

He should as an instructor always be in direct control, a divemaster is normally not authorised to teach this, unless he has done an additional course and it is trained in confined water.

• Like 1