Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

4 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i wish i had all the facts of this case.  im assuming this was a shore dive ....if the incident occurred nearby scuba junction shop in the water . i think we can assume this was a shore dive. the boat man that ran her over. is not at fault if he was not involved in the dive.  its not his duty to be looking for bubbles as he does his daily job, on the sea. but as i recollect from last years brief  . he might have been hired by scuba junction to help out on this dive. this is important info. if not he is innocent. and the dive master is solely at fault. and he is on the run because he knows hes solely at fault. he should serve jail time for gross negligence . for not properly protecting the zone above the divers to any degree. and for leaving the scene of the dive during the dive and letting his apprentices deal with brand new divers on thier first dive. where is ricky. we need to force him to come to Thailand. call scotland yard

Your first sentence makes sense.

Until that time a wise man would not jump to conclusions.

3 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

When people don’t know what actually happened some of them are tempted to make up stuff especially if it suits them.

With a depth of only 4-5m Silje had very little margin to avoid the propeller.

If the folks in charge of PADI in their wisdom decided to boot Ricky Collins out of their organisation then presumably there was an investigation and Ricky had a chance to put his side of the story.

PADI has been strangely silent though. Perhaps they don’t want attention drawn to this fatality and their own shortcomings?

this whole story is weird we are making assumptions because ........one this is wrong. a newbie killed when she paid for protection  and two the story that is out thier is sketchy.  and three. the story we do have seems so simple that it seems the answer is within hand. but its not. for some reason. i guess we need to give this time to work thru the thai court system. its tempting to say that the thais should boot all the dive shops out of ko tao that are hiring workers without proper work permits.......my assumption is that the boat driver is innocent . although he should be looking for bubbles. ricky Collins should have had a diver below buoy thier plain and simple. this is the upsetting part. why cant this proceed. because we dont have ricky . hes on the run.  im from usa. in my country ricky would not have been allowed to leave without assurance that he would come back for legal inquiry.  this whole story is wrong. wrong.....wrong.........i would think their is a dive master out thier that has an opinion on this subject.  i have been in touch with padi and they told me to send an email to [email protected] with details of this situation.........maybe her parents have not spent enuf money to make this issue be dealt with.  i have read they have spent 15k on the issue. that is not alot of money in legal circles........but maybe they are not wealthy people.  i would think a Norwegian entity or similar maybe a dive entity would be helping the parents navigate this issue. 

6 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i have read they have spent 15k on the issue. that is not alot of money in legal circles

They have spent more than 500k in Thai baht . Unfortunately they trusted the lawyer , 

5 hours ago, balo said:

They have spent more than 500k in Thai baht . Unfortunately they trusted the lawyer , 

It was also “unfortunate” that the money was spent on the lawyer in circumstances where the prosecutor refused to meet with him.

It’s quite a contrast to the same prosecutor’s attitude prior to the trial of  the Burmese guys convicted of killing the English backpackers on Koh Tao in 2014.  The Surat Thani prosecutor invited the families of the victims to participate in the prosecution in that trial.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yogavnture said:

this whole story is weird we are making assumptions because ........one this is wrong. a newbie killed when she paid for protection  and two the story that is out thier is sketchy.  and three. the story we do have seems so simple that it seems the answer is within hand. but its not. for some reason. i guess we need to give this time to work thru the thai court system. its tempting to say that the thais should boot all the dive shops out of ko tao that are hiring workers without proper work permits.......my assumption is that the boat driver is innocent . although he should be looking for bubbles. ricky Collins should have had a diver below buoy thier plain and simple. this is the upsetting part. why cant this proceed. because we dont have ricky . hes on the run.  im from usa. in my country ricky would not have been allowed to leave without assurance that he would come back for legal inquiry.  this whole story is wrong. wrong.....wrong.........i would think their is a dive master out thier that has an opinion on this subject.  i have been in touch with padi and they told me to send an email to [email protected] with details of this situation.........maybe her parents have not spent enuf money to make this issue be dealt with.  i have read they have spent 15k on the issue. that is not alot of money in legal circles........but maybe they are not wealthy people.  i would think a Norwegian entity or similar maybe a dive entity would be helping the parents navigate this issue. 

"its tempting to say that the thais should boot all the dive shops out of ko tao that are hiring workers without proper work permits"

That would be all diveshops there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

There was very little information on the Internet 3 years ago when the accident first occurred.

In mid-January Norinfo was good enough to add info from a Norwegian story to this thread.  Nor-info (Norwegian Information suggests this newbie was Norwegian) has been criticised for this transgression by someone who added nothing to the discussion.

I spotted the story on the internet several days later and after others had already been sharing it on Facebook.  Later still I noticed the TV thread.

I don’t know who Norinfo is but their post was very informative. Thanks Norinfo! 

this is why we are discussing so much know. because so little info has been released. i really wonder if dive shop operators in ko tao want this story to go away before the thai authorities boot them off the island for working thier illegally

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

because i suspect ehier are alot of dive shop workers on ko tao that would like this story to go away.  

So what does me being on Koh Tao yes or no have to do with that.

Unless you're implying I want this to go away, in which case you should reread my posts. The system on Koh Tao should be changed. But blaming divemaster or anybody else without knowing what exactly happened is not wise.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

this is why we are discussing so much know. because so little info has been released. i really wonder if dive shop operators in ko tao want this story to go away before the thai authorities boot them off the island for working thier illegally

All the big shots on Koh Tao will be well aware that there are heaps of foreigners working on the island without proper work permits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

So what does me being on Koh Tao yes or no have to do with that.

Unless you're implying I want this to go away, in which case you should reread my posts. The system on Koh Tao should be changed. But blaming divemaster or anybody else without knowing what exactly happened is not wise.

u are correct he is innocent until proven guilty . but did he not leave the kingdom without permission? no one can be blamed without proof you are correct. did the dive master have a diver below flag or not?  that should not take 3 years to find out.  

Edited by yogavnture
spelling

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

All the big shots on Koh Tao will be well aware that there are heaps of foreigners working on the island without proper work permits.

yea and alot of them with attitude as well. now most of them are young and getting drunk and stoned so u got to give them some slack for that. but they are tourists just like me and for them to group together with an attitude . like THIS is my island is not acceptable. i hope they have to pay more to the cops for them to look the other way.

2 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

u are correct he is innocent until proven guilty . but did he not leave the kingdom without permission?

Which has nothing to do with my post and is again speculating, which I have not done here and will not do. There are simply too many things unclear.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Which has nothing to do with my post and is again speculating, which I have not done here and will not do. There are simply too many things unclear.

you forget the end of my post ... did he have a diver below flag on site or not.. hard not spectulate when 3 years have gone by and we still dont know that fact.  totally unacceptable

40 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

you forget the end of my post ... did he have a diver below flag on site or not.. hard not spectulate when 3 years have gone by and we still dont know that fact.  totally unacceptable

Same as previous post: nothing to do with my post, and speculating.

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Same as previous post: nothing to do with my post, and speculating.

Hi Stevenl and yogavnture

There is some information scattered around on other forums.

The problems are that PADI does not seem to have said much and the prosecutor declined to meet with the parents or their lawyer so all we get are some random posts that might or might not be reliable.

There is a Post dated 7 August 2015 by a guy called Grant under a story in the Chiang Rai newspaper. His source is the apprentice who saved Sigrid.  According to him the apprentice says the divemaster was drunk and disappeared and the boat went over the top at high speed & the driver caused another accident in July 2015.

Only one secondhand account so don’t get too excited. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

Hi Stevenl and yogavnture

There is some information scattered around on other forums.

The problems are that PADI does not seem to have said much and the prosecutor declined to meet with the parents or their lawyer so all we get are some random posts that might or might not be reliable.

There is a Post dated 7 August 2015 by a guy called Grant under a story in the Chiang Rai newspaper. His source is the apprentice who saved Sigrid.  According to him the apprentice says the divemaster was drunk and disappeared and the boat went over the top at high speed & the driver caused another accident in July 2015.

Only one secondhand account so don’t get too excited. 

stevenl will accuse the apprentice of speculating . even though the apprentice was their and steven1 was not

9 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/norwegian-silji-macdison-killed-in-tragic-dive-accident-off-koh-tao-island.html?no_redirect=true

Check out the post from Grant Udw dated 7 August 2015.

Highly critical of both the divemaster and the boat driver. I would really want to hear their accounts of what happened though.

he was drunk from the night before?  typical ko tao dive shop operating standards. take money from unsuspecting newbies for beer cig money. then dont protect them.if this was her first dive was she trained properly or were they drunk from night before then too? did the dive shop demand money before the dive. for the beer money

30 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

he was drunk from the night before?  typical ko tao dive shop operating standards. take money from unsuspecting newbies for beer cig money. then dont protect them.if this was her first dive was she trained properly or were they drunk from night before then too? did the dive shop demand money before the dive. for the beer money

The questions are all fair enough but we really don’t know much yet. Maybe we never will know that much. Maybe the the big shots around Koh Tao will do a good job of keeping everyone in the dark.

The post from Grant is a bombshell but still there are people who have not yet publicly told their side of the story.

Most other places in the world the agreed facts would have been in the public arena years ago. 

The current situation is intolerable especially where the prosecutor refuses to meet the parents or their lawyer.

• Like 1

I'll get slated for this, but safety would improve considerably if there were no diving for a mandatory 3 days after each full moon. Koh Tao feeds on KPG Moonies and doesn't think twice about putting them into the water as long as the price is right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Given that this occurred more than 3 years, not likely more information will be forthcoming. Old thread.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

More information did emerge just 3 weeks ago when a couple of Norwegian newspapers reported.

Further information emerged last week about a lawyer quitting.

Now a trial has perhaps been listed for 13 February which is just over a week away.

Maybe more information will emerge.  It depends on how good the big shots are at keeping things under the carpet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

More information did emerge just 3 weeks ago when a couple of Norwegian newspapers reported.

Further information emerged last week about a lawyer quitting.

Now a trial has perhaps been listed for 13 February which is just over a week away.

Maybe more information will emerge.  It depends on how good the big shots are at keeping things under the carpet.

you would think the Norwegian embassy in BKK could exert some pressure?  why dont u message that grant guy on fb. see if he is willing to discuss this ?