Norwegian tourist fatally injured by speed boat rotors near Koh Tao

webfact

7 hours ago, yogavnture said:

stevenl will accuse the apprentice of speculating . even though the apprentice was their and steven1 was not

No, only people who are speculating I will accuse of speculating.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

No, only people who are speculating I will accuse of speculating.

its been three years. at some point somebody has to do something. speculating is normal after such a time period . with such a weird case. we all know a dive master is the boss of situation and if the girl didnt just go to surface on her own , he is at fault.. stevenl  you are telling me that ricky didnt know the dive was in 5 meters of water and that multiple boats go over top ?  we wont even throw in the diver below flag. horrendous situation . the prosecutor needs to get off his butt and get this case figured out . why wont he do this after 3 years the girls parents deserve better

30 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

its been three years. at some point somebody has to do something. speculating is normal after such a time period . with such a weird case. we all know a dive master is the boss of situation and if the girl didnt just go to surface on her own , he is at fault.. stevenl  you are telling me that ricky didnt know the dive was in 5 meters of water and that multiple boats go over top ?  we wont even throw in the diver below flag. horrendous situation . the prosecutor needs to get off his butt and get this case figured out . why wont he do this after 3 years the girls parents deserve better

You really don't get it.

On 23/12/2014 at 11:42 AM, timewilltell said:

The Embassies till do far too little to warn tourists of the dangers here in Thailand. A few words on a website no one reads just does not cut it. Then when tourists die because of obvious lack of controls by the authorities and flagrant scams and life threatening behaviour goes on day after day, nothing is said and nothing is done.

Yes the Thai marine police should be more involved but sadly corruption rears its ugly head to override people being properly trained or monitored and scamming continues unabated, nay encouraged by the corruption that is the dancer of this society.

This girl has list her life because of all parties involved being greedy for corruption money, greedy to promote trade in this nation where laws are routinely ignored and with a huge bias against foreigners. Operators employ any Tom Dick or Harry to operate the boats, the cheaper the better, and really could not care one iota if some tourist gets killed. There is nothing to commend anyone with any part in this manslaughter which continues without shame. Disgusting and very sad.

Correct. The Embassies don’t do much to warn their citizens. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

Correct. The Embassies don’t do much to warn their citizens. 

Citizens don't bother looking for warnings until 10 mins after they needed the information & then discover they were there all along.

You can take a horse to water...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Citizens don't bother looking for warnings until 10 mins after they needed the information & then discover they were there all along.

You can take a horse to water...

There’s an awful lot of truth in that statement.

Most people don’t actually go looking for warnings.  Often there are low key warnings on Embassy websites, which very few people read.

Often though, after a tragedy, an embassy might be quoted by the media as merely saying that “consular assistance is being provided to the family.”  

The embassies focus on diplomacy.  They tend not to use a tragedy to highlight risks to their citizens.  That would be undiplomatic.  

Many more foreigners will see the comments about “consular assistance”  than will ever look up their embassies’ websites.

I should stress that the embassies do little to warn their citizens.  I did not wish to give the impression that they do nothing.

18 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

There’s an awful lot of truth in that statement.

Most people don’t actually go looking for warnings.  Often there are low key warnings on Embassy websites, which very few people read.

Often though, after a tragedy, an embassy might be quoted by the media as merely saying that “consular assistance is being provided to the family.”  

The embassies focus on diplomacy.  They tend not to use a tragedy to highlight risks to their citizens.  That would be undiplomatic.  

Many more foreigners will see the comments about “consular assistance”  than will ever look up their embassies’ websites.

I should stress that the embassies do little to warn their citizens.  I did not wish to give the impression that they do nothing.

r u gonna send a message on fb to the fellow that gave his story of incident to see if he will disclose what he knows?  since the prosecutor wont do his job we will do it?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

r u gonna send a message on fb to the fellow that gave his story of incident to see if he will disclose what he knows?  since the prosecutor wont do his job we will do it?

Very good idea yogavnture but I prefer to be a spectator rather than a reporter.

Grant was not a witness but just claimed to know the female apprentice who saved Sigrid.

You would think Sigrid thanked her and got her name and details.

Thank God at least one person was switched on that day! Otherwise there could have been two fatalities for the Koh Tao big shots to sweep under the carpet.

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

The story in the Chiang Rai Times did not spell either Silje’s first name or last name correctly so if the Norwegian parents and their lawyers just performed a simple Google search they might have missed the story and the comments from Grant and others.

My guess is that Sigrid got the name of her apprentice and passed the details on to Silje’s parents and lawyers.

Edited by Spectator2020

5 hours ago, yogavnture said:

"Nothing has changed! That same captain is still in charge of his boat and caused another acident last month also , and still he continues to work for pure vida. last night a post emerged about another almost fatal death involving a captains dropping anchor at a dive site. my very close friend was on the dive with silji and her friend, "

from the post of "Grant  Udw" 7 August 2015 under the Chiang Rai Times article

The first few sentences are interesting because he claims the boat captain was still working in that capacity for Pura Vida and caused another accident.  I did not quote the rest of his post because people can look that up themselves and his information is only secondhand from the apprentice who saved Sigrid Simensen.

It would be worthwhile for Silje's parents to follow up with this guy if they have not already done so.  I cannot imagine that any Thai reporters will go to any effort to research this story properly!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

"Nothing has changed! That same captain is still in charge of his boat and caused another acident last month also , and still he continues to work for pure vida. last night a post emerged about another almost fatal death involving a captains dropping anchor at a dive site. my very close friend was on the dive with silji and her friend, "

from the post of "Grant  Udw" 7 August 2015 under the Chiang Rai Times article

The first few sentences are interesting because he claims the boat captain was still working in that capacity for Pura Vida and caused another accident.  I did not quote the rest of his post because people can look that up themselves and his information is only secondhand from the apprentice who saved Sigrid Simensen.

It would be worthwhile for Silje's parents to follow up with this guy if they have not already done so.  I cannot imagine that any Thai reporters will go to any effort to research this story properly!

wait a second.  so what u are saying is that the boat captain works for the same shop as before.  so why is that important?  maybe he has been cleared of wrong doing?  i see ricky as the guilty party here. drunk from night before and who knows if he had been drug tested after dive if he would have come up with other intoxicants.  why are u fixated on the boat man?  he dropped divers off. he didnt see anybody below because ricky had no marker. its like blaming a boat man for running over fish.   now bubbles would be coming up that is true. especially in 5 meters of water. but it was rickys duty to secure the area above the dive site . not the boat man from another shop!  the other shop has nothing to do with scuba junction

16 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

wait a second.  so what u are saying is that the boat captain works for the same shop as before.  so why is that important?  maybe he has been cleared of wrong doing?  i see ricky as the guilty party here. drunk from night before and who knows if he had been drug tested after dive if he would have come up with other intoxicants.  why are u fixated on the boat man?  he dropped divers off. he didnt see anybody below because ricky had no marker. its like blaming a boat man for running over fish.   now bubbles would be coming up that is true. especially in 5 meters of water. but it was rickys duty to secure the area above the dive site . not the boat man from another shop!  the other shop has nothing to do with scuba junction

I’m not saying anything from first hand knowledge.

The poster from the Chiang Rai Times claimed in August 2015 that the driver was still working for Pura Vida Diving and caused an accident the previous month.

The Dagbladet story says that the Lawyers claimed the driver is to go on trial from 13 February.  If that is correct then he has not been cleared. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

I’m not saying anything from first hand knowledge.

The poster from the Chiang Rai Times claimed in August 2015 that the driver was still working for Pura Vida Diving and caused an accident the previous month.

The Dagbladet story says that the Lawyers claimed the driver is to go on trial from 13 February.  If that is correct then he has not been cleared. 

im confused here . he will go on trial but the dive master is not here?  how about the other Norwegian gal. she is here ?  how can they have a trial without witnesses?  so what if he caused another accident ?  its not about another accident. it about the Norwegian gal. if the boat man is having accident why doesnt the pura diving fire the dude. !  

21 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

im confused here . he will go on trial but the dive master is not here?  how about the other Norwegian gal. she is here ?  how can they have a trial without witnesses?  so what if he caused another accident ?  its not about another accident. it about the Norwegian gal. if the boat man is having accident why doesnt the pura diving fire the dude. !  

It might help if you read all the background stories on the internet. You can google them and click the translate button in the top right corner for the Norwegian stories.

It seems the divemaster is not here and the other Norwegian girl is back in Norway.

Failing to have witnesses for a trial ? Well this is Thailand! 

The prosecutor might want to give the Thai guy an easy time so that it looks worse for the absent farang. 

17 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

It might help if you read all the background stories on the internet. You can google them and click the translate button in the top right corner for the Norwegian stories.

It seems the divemaster is not here and the other Norwegian girl is back in Norway.

Failing to have witnesses for a trial ? Well this is Thailand! 

The prosecutor might want to give the Thai guy an easy time so that it looks worse for the absent farang. 

Presume if there is enough evidence... statements, etc.

Edited by Basil B

8 hours ago, yogavnture said:

they should have given ricky a blood alchohol test the day of accident. maybe they have witnesses that can tell if he had been smoking weed before accident that made him impaired. for him to just leave the area is unacceptable

There might only be a few people who know what the police and the marine police did or didn’t do after the accident.

Blood alcohol tests for the boat driver and Ricky Collins could provide important evidence for a judge or coroner.  Even blood alcohol tests on both apprentices and both student divers might have been useful.

There’s very little transparency here though.  

There are no news reports stating whether or not Ricky Collins had displayed a flag over the dive site.

There are no news reports on whether the boat driver Nathakorn Meekwan understood the significance of a flag.

There are no news reports on whether the managers of Pura Vida trained their  boat drivers about the significance of flags.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

There might only be a few people who know what the police and the marine police did or didn’t do after the accident.

Blood alcohol tests for the boat driver and Ricky Collins could provide important evidence for a judge or coroner.  Even blood alcohol tests on both apprentices and both student divers might have been useful.

There’s very little transparency here though.  

There are no news reports stating whether or not Ricky Collins had displayed a flag over the dive site.

There are no news reports on whether the boat driver Nathakorn Meekwan understood the significance of a flag.

There are no news reports on whether the managers of Pura Vida trained their  boat drivers about the significance of flags.

we are used to western standards. its obvious in ko tao live means not much. unless money is involved.  i went to dive shop yesterday , i know the bloke thier has worked thier for at least 6 years.  he told me he vaguely had heard of this story and changed subject. its obvious a coverup has been happening here. because running over an innocent newby when the dive master runs off and she gets chopped to death will just lead to bad business down the road. now we need to keep all potential folks coming to ko tao totally in the dark about swimming safety here. and if another gets run over. we need to be real quiet about it. might hurt more business. dollar is king. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

we are used to western standards. its obvious in ko tao live means not much. unless money is involved.  i went to dive shop yesterday , i know the bloke thier has worked thier for at least 6 years.  he told me he vaguely had heard of this story and changed subject. its obvious a coverup has been happening here. because running over an innocent newby when the dive master runs off and she gets chopped to death will just lead to bad business down the road. now we need to keep all potential folks coming to ko tao totally in the dark about swimming safety here. and if another gets run over. we need to be real quiet about it. might hurt more business. dollar is king. 

Very informative post yogavnture!

I gather you meant the Pura Vida Diving shop. Is that correct?  

The shop where Ricky Collins worked is called Scuba Junction.

Did you speak with the young Thai boat captain, Nathakorn Meekwan or with one of the other people there?

I will include some pictures of Nathakorn from his Facebook page.

35D2C153-0A91-48F3-8B1D-6E287705A3BF.png

Edited by Spectator2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

Pictures of the Pura Vida Diving captain Nathakorn Meekwan from Facebook.

5739AFB3-BD56-4D2F-A97F-A29309E8DB87.png

44945DF4-B079-4FF1-A543-CE74842B8105.png

a coverup is happening. im sure thier are many dive shops in ko tao that are watching our posts but not responding. too dangerous. better to shut up and forget about her. wheres the next victim their she is. shes innocent and gullable. i need cig money. lets get her to go diving!. its only her first dive but she can swim pretty well. oh man i got drunk last night too much. hell with it the apprentice can handle this.. she will figure out what to do on her own. i hope i checked the equip this morning to make sure its working ok.. god i need money the air hoses are getting old on our rental stuff.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

Pictures of the Pura Vida Diving captain Nathakorn Meekwan from Facebook.

5739AFB3-BD56-4D2F-A97F-A29309E8DB87.png

44945DF4-B079-4FF1-A543-CE74842B8105.png

why are u posting his pics here  u know that pura vidas is watching this page. this will enrage them.  i hope they dont have ties to the thai mafia here. u are gonna be fish bait

47 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

a coverup is happening. im sure thier are many dive shops in ko tao that are watching our posts but not responding. too dangerous. better to shut up and forget about her. wheres the next victim their she is. shes innocent and gullable. i need cig money. lets get her to go diving!. its only her first dive but she can swim pretty well. oh man i got drunk last night too much. hell with it the apprentice can handle this.. she will figure out what to do on her own. i hope i checked the equip this morning to make sure its working ok.. god i need money the air hoses are getting old on our rental stuff.  

look on his fb page for western friends. contact them for info? maybe we should not be discussing this?  they are watching. 

39 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

why are u posting his pics here  u know that pura vidas is watching this page. this will enrage them.  i hope they dont have ties to the thai mafia here. u are gonna be fish bait

Thanks for your concern.

Few people know much detail about what actually happened that day.

If you went to Pura Vida yesterday and the person you spoke with just wanted to change the topic then that is fishy but nothing more.

Pura Vida could make public statements in defence of their captain and their own training and procedures but they are not obliged to.

It might be a good a responsible public relations exercise for Pura Vida to present some honest public statements but it’s all up to them.

If, and I stress IF, Ricky Collins did not have a flag above the dive site I would definitely state this publicly in defence of my captain if I were the boss at Pura Vida. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spectator2020 said:

Thanks for your concern.

Few people know much detail about what actually happened that day.

If you went to Pura Vida yesterday and the person you spoke with just wanted to change the topic then that is fishy but nothing more.

Pura Vida could make public statements in defence of their captain and their own training and procedures but they are not obliged to.

It might be a good a responsible public relations exercise for Pura Vida to present some honest public statements but it’s all up to them.

If, and I stress IF, Ricky Collins did not have a flag above the dive site I would definitely state this publicly in defence of my captain if I were the boss at Pura Vida. 

true the shop i went to was not pura vida

• Thanks 1

Just now, yogavnture said:

this is true.. if ricky had a flag and i were pura vida i would vocally be speaking of it. if ricky had a flag and i were pura vida i would keep it hush hush. but the dude is still a boat man thier. so that says something. he caused another accident. what were details of that

• Like 1