another day another rip off attempt

zoza

Can someone please explain the attraction of Buakhow ? I frequently walk through it on my way to more attractive venues, but I've never really understood why anyone would want to park their carcass there from 10am in the morning and stare out at the traffic.

Probably the best place to go is the Butcher's Arms but it's about the only place where the Middle Eastern types don't hang out, but there are much better places.

Can someone please explain the attraction of Buakhow ? I frequently walk through it on my way to more attractive venues, but I've never really understood why anyone would want to park their carcass there from 10am in the morning and stare out at the traffic.

Ooooh! I wonder where you are off to! Anyway, we're not staring out at the traffic, we are philosophising into the distance as to the meaning of life and everything.

There was clearly a misunderstanding

3 beers @THB 45 adds up to THB 145

You gave them THB 170, supposing that the bill would be 3xTHB 55 = THB 165

Since you gave then (probably) more than needed......one note of 100 baht, 3 notes of 20 baht and a coin of 10 baht (or a 20 baht note and a fifty baht note), the cashier expects the change to be tip. Common practice.

If you would have given them THB 150, you would have THB 5 back as change.

That the cashier flipped out is not very nice, but it may be more some disappointment involved.

Tipping and respect in the same sentence. giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

What a school boy error for you in Thailand.

Have you ever been here for more than two weeks at a tine ?

Have a nice day

Lived here 4 years, been coming for 6. I guess I have a far happier life than you hence why I see a glass half full as opposed to you.

What's up with the lame comments, calling the OP cheap etc. He didn't let them rip him off. You obviously do every time you go out. That's your problem.

I don't get ripped off every time I go out, however I'm one of the Farang who treat the Thais with respect and tip accordingly so maybe they don't rip me off because of that.

Some of the cheapskate Thai haters on here (who choose to live in the nation they continually complain about) probably don't and get treat accordingly.

I think the point some us are try to make is it' s up to the customer to decide to tip, and for how much, not the server/cashier.

Which I agree with, I also agree with the posters who call the OP a cheapskate for writing a long complaint for the sake of 35thb.

The OP must be lacking in grace or style to make such a fuss about nothing. ...it is not a matter of principle. It is a matter of dignity and deportment. The OP blew it big time over an inconsequential amount of money and is an embarrassment to us all. If a few cents means so much to you and you can't be more philosophical about such events then SE Asia is not for you because you get too angrily too easily about nothing. I am going to this place and tip all the staff and have a laugh about cheap Charlies. ...

I am absolutely amazed at how many people feel that the OP was in the wrong to make a fuss based on the principle of it. And, according to him he just calmly, without raising his voice, asked for his proper change back after he realized the waitress had lied to him. I think we can all agree that the vast majority of us can lose 30 baht and it won't make a dent in our finances. So the question for me and some others becomes, "At what point DOES it become a problem for those of you who do not want to lose your dignity and department -- 50 baht, 100 baht, 1000 baht, 10,000 baht". When exactly will you speak up?

The OP must be lacking in grace or style to make such a fuss about nothing. ...it is not a matter of principle. It is a matter of dignity and deportment. The OP blew it big time over an inconsequential amount of money and is an embarrassment to us all. If a few cents means so much to you and you can't be more philosophical about such events then SE Asia is not for you because you get too angrily too easily about nothing. I am going to this place and tip all the staff and have a laugh about cheap Charlies. ...

I am absolutely amazed at how many people feel that the OP was in the wrong to make a fuss based on the principle of it. And, according to him he just calmly, without raising his voice, asked for his proper change back after he realized the waitress had lied to him. I think we can all agree that the vast majority of us can lose 30 baht and it won't make a dent in our finances. So the question for me and some others becomes, "At what point DOES it become a problem for those of you who do not want to lose your dignity and department -- 50 baht, 100 baht, 1000 baht, 10,000 baht". When exactly will you speak up?

Were you there with him? If not how do you know that he was calm. I have seen a few in my local go ballistic at something only to claim when talking about it later that they acted like the pinnacle of diplomacy.

I've only been a member on here for about 6 months and I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not about sharing stories about Thailand so much that it's a bunch of racists fueling each other's Thai bashing no matter what the case may be.

Yeah it's not perfect like the UK or US where no one ever gives the wrong change, no one ever expects a tip and bottled beer is free for all (ahem ahem cough cough) but it's still the place we CHOOSE to live. Yet having browsed 4-5 stories today I see about 70% of comments are cynical, misinformed and just plain nasty.

Off topic bickering posts in weird fonts spilling over into un readable replies removed.

Please use the regular fonts thank you.

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

30 mins he sat there, then asked about his 1 baht, and believe it or not had the nerve to return the next day.

You do not want to know what thai staff were saying and talking about foreigners.

How rude of him to sit and wait for his change for 30 minutes, and then have the nerve to return! Licking the plates clean, a typical habit of a wealthy man who should not dare to ask for his 1 baht change. All "guavas" are rich, thats why they settle in a cheap corrupt country to begin with.

I would like to know what the staff were saying about this customer.

Can you tell us what establishment this is?

Edited by NightRider70

I've only been a member on here for about 6 months and I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not about sharing stories about Thailand so much that it's a bunch of racists fueling each other's Thai bashing no matter what the case may be.

Yeah it's not perfect like the UK or US where no one ever gives the wrong change, no one ever expects a tip and bottled beer is free for all (ahem ahem cough cough) but it's still the place we CHOOSE to live. Yet having browsed 4-5 stories today I see about 70% of comments are cynical, misinformed and just plain nasty.

One of the best single pieces of advice I've been given here is to avoid the General Topics forum entirely - it tends to bring out the worst in people. About the only place I've seen more nastiness is in the unmoderated comments on Youtube - some serious pieces of work there. Nothing like a little anti-Semitic obscenity to really liven up a Miley Cyrus vid ....

• Like 2

If someone licked their plate in my place I'd ask them to leave for fear of losing other customers. If they waited for a baht change I would assume they had mental problems...as I would if someone got angry at poorly paid waitress over ten baht. Who needs this sh*t from tourist misers? If you are that poor stay at home in Europe.

• Like 1

Here's my scam story. Yesterday I went to a black canyon coffee shop in an area that doesn't see a lot of farangs. I ordered a latte with an extra shot. They misunderstood me and charged me for 2 lattes. I had other things on my mind and didn't notice. I got my latte and walked out. Stopped to light a cigarette. The dam thieves came out and gave me back the money for the extra latte that I ordered. How dare they not live up to the reputation that is rampant here.

• Like 1

"More attractive venues" - within walking distance of soi Buakhau ?

Can you elaborate, I am struggling to think of anything that fits that description.

Here's my scam story. Yesterday I went to a black canyon coffee shop in an area that doesn't see a lot of farangs. I ordered a latte with an extra shot. They misunderstood me and charged me for 2 lattes. I had other things on my mind and didn't notice. I got my latte and walked out. Stopped to light a cigarette. The dam thieves came out and gave me back the money for the extra latte that I ordered. How dare they not live up to the reputation that is rampant here.

This is as rude as when Konying's customer dared to return after Konying refused to give back 1 baht change for 30 minutes.

Was there any other kind of fruit in Black Canyon?

Edited by NightRider70

I think the real problem is that most people lack balls, to afraid to confront anyone over anything.

Better off to hide behind wife or comments like cheap Charles, misers, low life’s

Thai bashers, racists, Low pensions or no pensions, last stop before cambo and all that nonsense.

Guys if a business has a staff member not returning change, that business is not going to have many customers in a years time. Not good, this gets good honest Thai people and good businesses owners a bad name, you don’t need to get into a fight over a few baht but grow a pair even a small pair would be good.

Say something. Saying nothing means nothing will change.

Have a nice day wai2.gif

This is as rude as when Konying's customer dared to return after Konying refused to give back 1 baht change for 30 minutes.

Good thing is TV is not short of illiterate trolls, otherwise it would be boring.

Lets try to break it down like to a 2 year old.

Konying decided to see how long cheap charlie would wait for 1 baht change.

Because cheap charlie came to eat every single day and every single day took his change down to 1 baht.

This time cheap charlie waited for 30 mins for 1 baht.

Clearly to some people 1 baht is worth 30 mins of their life, just as loosing to place to eat over 1 baht.

But hey, please carry onfacepalm.gif

30 mins he sat there, then asked about his 1 baht, and believe it or not had the nerve to return the next day.

You do not want to know what thai staff were saying and talking about foreigners.

How rude of him to sit and wait for his change for 30 minutes, and then have the nerve to return! Licking the plates clean, a typical habit of a wealthy man who should not dare to ask for his 1 baht change. All "guavas" are rich, thats why they settle in a cheap corrupt country to begin with.

I am sorry, i will not be telling "us", you should stick to 30 baht street stools, since 1 baht is worth 30 mins of your life.

Thankfully, vast majority of people value their time little more than 1 baht.bah.gif

PS. I always was of an opinion that people settle in another country to improve their life, not to worry about a baht, which can buy you big fat nothing.

But then again clearly people like you settle for other reasonsrolleyes.gif

PPS. Have you been in Thailand yet? giggle.gif @ cheap country comments. Totally cluelessw00t.gif

I think the real problem is that most people lack balls, to afraid to confront anyone over anything.

Better off to hide behind wife or comments like cheap Charles, misers, low life’s

Thai bashers, racists, Low pensions or no pensions, last stop before cambo and all that nonsense.

Guys if a business has a staff member not returning change, that business is not going to have many customers in a years time. Not good, this gets good honest Thai people and good businesses owners a bad name, you don’t need to get into a fight over a few baht but grow a pair even a small pair would be good.

Say something. Saying nothing means nothing will change.

Have a nice day wai2.gif

I wonder how many times You have been to eat out with a bunch of Thais, when they are paying?

Every bit of paper in the check bin will be scrutinized, checked, confirmed and verified, before money changes hands.

However I digress, I dont hide behind anyones skirt.

A few months ago I was with the mrs and her family, I left the table to go buy something, the BIL gave me 50 baht and asked me to buy some food, no worries.

I went to the local place, ordered, the price was written in Thai, 30 baht, Khun Weasel told his mrs to charge 50 baht, i questioned is this the price, its normally 30 baht, "weasel face" confirmed, 50 baht.

No worries, I handed over the 50 baht the BIL had given me.

Reported back to the table, handed the food and told them 50 baht.

BIL and mrs were straight out the chair, we headed up the soi, before we had even reached the shophouse, "Weasel Face" had effed off inside, leaving his mrs to deal with it, his mrs looked round for moral support, none to be found.

She pulled 20 baht out her apron to hand back.

Sorry, too late for that Somchai.

What followed was nothing more than a verbal tsunami of abuse.

The plastic bag of food was thrown on the soi, swear words such as, ai heeya bai nai followed, man and meung littered the air.

50 baht note was soon in the BILs hand.

Personally I prefer to do things the Thai way.

People lack the balls to go with the flow, to accept they are in a different place, frequently, uneducated, bitter, and think a machismo challenge over a few baht is a sign of masculinity or strength of character but it it's a sign of weakness, stupidity and lack of travel experience. Please guys- leave Thailand and leave your bitter squalid arguments to 'footie' or birds or tattoos . Just stop being mean minded mediocrities.

• Like 1

Good thing is TV is not short of illiterate trolls, otherwise it would be boring.

Lets try to break it down like to a 2 year old.

Konying decided to see how long cheap charlie would wait for 1 baht change.

Because cheap charlie came to eat every single day and every single day took his change down to 1 baht.

This time cheap charlie waited for 30 mins for 1 baht.

Clearly to some people 1 baht is worth 30 mins of their life, just as loosing to place to eat over 1 baht.

But hey, please carry onfacepalm.gif

He may be a cheap Charlie but he is entitled to his one baht change. Stop selling 99 baht breakfasts if this bothers you.

Obviously you value the one baht just as much as he does.

I am sorry, i will not be telling "us", you should stick to 30 baht street stools, since 1 baht is worth 30 mins of your life.

Thankfully, vast majority of people value their time little more than 1 baht.bah.gif

PS. I always was of an opinion that people settle in another country to improve their life, not to worry about a baht, which can buy you big fat nothing.

But then again clearly people like you settle for other reasonsrolleyes.gif

PPS. Have you been in Thailand yet? giggle.gif @ cheap country comments. Totally cluelessw00t.gif

Then maybe you can tell me so I can avoid your place.

1 baht is not worth 30 minutes of my time but it was for you.

I have been in Thailand a few times.

Edited by NightRider70

What I don't get is how so many of you are saying bad things about the OP. He was being ripped off. It doesn't matter if it was only 30 baht or any other amount. This tends to happen all too often in this country and just because some of you are willing to put up with it that just gives them more incentive to do it to others. I feel the same, I don't want to be charged more than what I am supposed to be paying. At what point do some of you feel it is alright to lodge a complaint? 100 baht? 1,000 baht?

It would have to be a great deal more than 30 baht. It seems like OP caused the server to lose face. Let's say the girl honestly thought it was 55 baht a bottle. Then it looks like you are "making a problem" over FIVE baht. At 55 baht a bottle, they are not making a killing. At 45 baht, they are giving it away.

In any case, making a fuss in a bar over small things can often lead to a BIG needless hassle.

No offense to all the guys standing on "principle", or to the OP. We all have our own ways of looking at these moral dilemmas.

You will find not too many Thai would be making a scene over 5-10 baht, so when a foreigner does it, who is supposedly rich, it gives all foreigners a bad name.

I know i have had customers wait for 1 baht change, yes you read correctly, 1 baht change.

He came to eat every single day and physically licked the plates, and always without a fail waited for 1 baht change.

1 day i wanted to see how long he would wait, so did not give back immediately.

Many people who are that cheap and petty suffer from a disease called poverty consciousness. It does not matter how much money they have. They think they are poor. Being this petty is both a bore, and is irritating to all involved. My guess, is that it would never even occur to this guy to leave a tip. And I am not talking about one baht. I think it is courteous to leave a tip of at least 20 baht, for every meal. These people work hard, and make little. Does the 20 baht matter that much to us? Really?

• Like 2