papa go Laos.

papa al

Hard copy maps of Thailand (and I guess other countries too) are crap, if anyone knows different please advise.....and digressing slightly. How can you have 3 roads leaving one town in 3 different directions, all named 201, as in Loei? Other places too, I change roads 5 or 6 times and still ended up on the 201.

Hard copy maps of Thailand (and I guess other countries too) are crap, if anyone knows different please advise.....and digressing slightly. How can you have 3 roads leaving one town in 3 different directions, all named 201, as in Loei? Other places too, I change roads 5 or 6 times and still ended up on the 201.

It's not the fault of the map.

I run into this a lot of places.

For example, 331 runs hundreds of kms. from Prechin Buri province all the way down to southern Chonburi province.

As a bonus, there is a spur some 20-30 km shooting west to Laem Chabaeng!

It's not the fault of the map.

I run into this a lot of places.

For example, 331 runs hundreds of kms. from Prechin Buri province all the way down to southern Chonburi province.

As a bonus, there is a spur some 20-30 km shooting west to Laem Chabaeng!

No, the maps get that right, but the rest is rubbish, they are inaccurate, rarely match the signposts and don't depict the appropriate size of the road, so you can't make the best choice of route to take.

Unless you know one that is good..........

Latest reports suggest bikes may leave Laos via the Friendship Bridge at Savannakhet but not enter Laos here. The same applies at Nakorn Phanom - Tha Kek. The situation is not definite and can change.

Safe travels.

Last May we ( 2 bikes) had a troublefree re-entry into Thailand over the friendshipsbridge @ Savannakhet. That trip started with entering over the friendship bridge at Nong Khai/Vientienne.

Red before bikes are not allowed entering Laos @ Mukdahan/Savannkhet. But this may depend on the "mood" of the day of the Immigration officers.

KTM: Good eye. Mechanical snafu. Attached with medical tape now.

Shurup: anal.

LL: Steel-toed work shoes.

You're confusing me with JT, I don't do anal. bah.gif

Nice trip review papa, it's something I always wanted to do, take a trip from Thailand through Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thai, but the unavailability of 95 octane fuel (at least in Laos) is something that would hold me back now, unless I want to ride one of my older bikes, which I don't want. sad.png

guzzi: just a small padlock on the chain-link.

I could break in easily with a good pliers.

Not sure but I'm thinking theft is not a big issue.

I have one of those disc locks with battery and movement audio alarm.

Also carry a cable & padlock but haven't deployed it.

A couple of guest houses have brought my bike into lobby at night.

I came across this:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Laos