Prosecutor: Guns were smuggled aboard US airliners

Lite Beer

Prosecutor: Guns were smuggled aboard US airliners
LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — A brazen scheme in which guns — even an AK-47 rifle — were taken onto passenger jets for years in carry-on luggage was described by a Brooklyn prosecutor Tuesday as a terrorism threat that should cause the airline industry to end the practice of letting some workers enter airports without security screening.

Kenneth Thompson's comment came as he described a case brought against five people, including an airline baggage handler who was charged a day earlier by federal authorities in Atlanta.

"I hope this is a wakeup call for the nation," District Attorney Kenneth Thompson said at a news conference. "This was an egregious breach of our nation's air traffic security."

Thompson said he was not trying to scare anyone. But he said it's "truly frightening" what investigators learned after a probe that started as a way to reduce gun violence in Brooklyn.

He said Mark Quentin Henry, 45, who was fired by Delta Air Lines in 2010 after three years for abusing its buddy pass system, took guns aboard at least 17 commercial airliners this year as they traveled from Atlanta to both New York City airports.

The prosecutor said Henry was given the guns, sometimes in airport restrooms, by Eugene Harvey, 31, an Atlanta baggage handler who worked for Delta before he was fired as a result of the investigation.

Three others were arrested on gun charges in the probe.

Henry's lawyer, Terence Sweeney, said his client, held without bail, "maintains his innocence and he's looking forward to his day in court."

Henry was arrested Dec. 10. Investigators videotaped him in the Atlanta airport prior to a morning flight to Kennedy International Airport in New York, where he was videotaped leaving the airport and was followed to his residence in Brooklyn.

Thompson said when Henry was confronted by investigators, he said there were guns in a knapsack in his apartment.

"He said: 'I just brought them from Atlanta on the plane. He made that admission," Thompson said.

The prosecutor said investigators discovered that guns were individually wrapped and that ammunition was in the bag next to them "that he could have just put together and started shooting."

He said the scheme "really poses a threat in terms of terrorism."

"They can put guns on a plane, they could easily have put a bomb," Thompson said.

Thompson said 153 guns, almost all of which were bought in Georgia, were seized during the seven-month gun trafficking probe, which led investigators to Henry and his frequent flights between Atlanta and New York.

The prosecutor said investigators believe he has been transporting guns on planes for at least five years, using companion passes available because his mother had worked for airlines for years before retiring.

On Dec. 10, Henry flew with 16 weapons, including four 9mm pistols, a .380-caliber pistol and ammunition and magazines, Thompson said. The prosecutor said he flew with the AK-47 in November.

He said it was likely he chose airplanes for the speed and ease of the travel.

"We didn't know for sure that he was transporting guns on a plane until Dec. 10," Thompson said, though he added that Delta was notifying investigators each time Henry boarded a plane.

Delta spokesman Morgan Durrant said Delta has cooperated with authorities.

"We take seriously any activity that fails to uphold our strict commitment to the safety and security of our customers and employees," he said.

In a statement Tuesday, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport spokesman Reese McCranie called safety and security its "highest priority."

He said all employees must pass extensive criminal history record checks, security threat assessments, and security training prior to being approved for access to secured areas and employees are subjected to continuous vetting and random inspections.

"In light of these recent events, we are reviewing the security plan and will make the appropriate changes to prevent future incidents of this nature," McCranie added. The airport is considered among the world's busiest.

The Transportation Security Administration, which is responsible for screening airline passengers, said in a statement that it takes "potential for insider threats at airports very seriously."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2014-12-24

they run a test on Frankfurt airport last week, and smuggled guns across the security checks.

They blame it on insufficient training of the security staff, improper identification of critical items on the x-ray.

When will they realize that my kneecap, my fists and my drawing pencil are all but deadly weapons, if you master Jiu Jitsu

Total safety = total dream

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

All they need to do is quit giving passes to people who've been vetted. Obviously vetting isn't 100% Even a pilot of any airline in any country could go off his rocker.

This guy, for reasons that seem ridiculous to me, was able to walk past airport screening because he is "special."

Guns do not kill. People do.

No gun control can save a law abiding 'good' person against a 'bad' person intent on causing damage.

For hundreds of years guns only worked as equalizers in personal skills and strength.

I would like to see the comparative statistics between

- a country with guns allowed (say USA) and a country with guns forbidden (say Russia or Australia).

- numbers of total murder cases per capita.

- numbers of murders using guns.

Try to be convincing using facts, not emotions.

And a Merry Christmas to all.

• Like 1

Unless he was taking them to a prohibited state or smuggling them out of the Country I don't see the problem. Anyone could put a bomb in their check in luggage.

Check in luggage is kept in explosive resistant steel containers.

It seems to be State firearm regulations he was breaking.

You can take guns legally on just about any airline including ammo provided you have paperwork.

For years we travellers have had to jump to the US's scheme of things at international airports globally.... "Shoes off...belt off...... No more than 100ml fluid........(and at one time no toothpaste)"........

"Gun? That'll do nicely, sir" facepalm.gif

What a <unprintable> farce.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Loophole is that ramp personnel while having undergone security background checks undertaken by the government, do not have to pass through a security check point where their bags are screened and they pass through a metal detector. Strangely enough, pilots and flight attendants must pass through security. Luckily for the passengers, these guys were just criminals and not terrorists.Not so lucky for those on the opposite end of the weapons after they were sold illegally.

Two words that never fit together in the USA.

Guns and security.

The number of cases is far underreported where someone, man, woman or child, has remained secure in their home, because they used a gun to defend against violent invasion.

Cowboy country...

Guns and security.

Two words that never fit together in other countries: Personal and Freedom.

Yes, there's nothing quite like the personal and freedom of the USA, where you can be personally gunned down at the whim of a complete stranger and millions have the freedom to do so, as guns are handed out like candy.

Excellent madness.

Guns do not kill. People do.

No gun control can save a law abiding 'good' person against a 'bad' person intent on causing damage.

For hundreds of years guns only worked as equalizers in personal skills and strength.

I would like to see the comparative statistics between

- a country with guns allowed (say USA) and a country with guns forbidden (say Russia or Australia).

- numbers of total murder cases per capita.

- numbers of murders using guns.

Try to be convincing using facts, not emotions.

And a Merry Christmas to all.

For starters, facts and figures are constantly offered by both sides....statistic can be used to sway just about any arguement.

Also, firearms are not FORBIDDEN in Australia. No where near forbidden. They are restricted and controlled and this has been carried out in recent years with staggering effect.

Here is a list of firearms-related deaths by countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Russia not there, but homicides using firearms per 100,000 population:

Australia 0.11

United Kingdom 0.04

USA 2.83

Need I say more?

"Need I say more?"

Yes, please say you are going back to school.

Homicide is the killing of one person by another. It doesn't denote murder. There is "justifiable homicide" as in self defense and other reasons. Your source doesn't break that down.

Your source also doesn't say how many Americans successfully used a gun to protect themselves or someone else. Often when that happens the gun isn't fired. Its mere presence deters the bad guy.

Americans are risk takers. That how our ancestors got here. It's in our blood and our culture. We don't want a nanny state.

One of the reasons I own guns is to protect myself and those who come after me against tyranny in government. If we need a revolution there are 100 million of us owning 300 million guns. That's the largest army the world has ever known. Ever think about why no one tried to invade the US during WWI or WWII? There would be a rifle behind every tree. Armed US citizens ran the King of England and his Red Coat Army off US soil in what the US calls the Revolutionary War. Their offspring have no intention of giving up their guns.

While the UK and Australia get overrun and outbred by violent "immigrants" who force new laws and political correctness upon them, the United States of America will stand pat.

We'll be here long after you gave up wishing you had a gun. That's in your future or your children's future, but by the time you wake up it will be too late. You have been indoctrinated into complacency while your cultures are failing before your eyes.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Here is a list of firearms-related deaths by countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Australia 0.11

United Kingdom 0.04

USA 2.83

Need I say more?

"Need I say more?"

Homicide is the killing of one person by another. It doesn't denote murder. There is "justifiable homicide" as in self defense and other reasons. Your source doesn't break that down.

Your source also doesn't say how many Americans successfully used a gun to protect themselves or someone else. Often when that happens the gun isn't fired. Its mere presence deters the bad guy.

Americans are risk takers. That how our ancestors got here. It's in our blood and our culture. We don't want a nanny state.

One of the reasons I own guns is to protect myself and those who come after me against tyranny in government. If we need a revolution there are 100 million of us owning 300 million guns. That's the largest army the world has ever known. Ever think about why no one tried to invade the US during WWI or WWII? There would be a rifle behind every tree. Armed US citizens ran the King of England and his Red Coat Army off US soil in what the US calls the Revolutionary War. Their offspring have no intention of giving up their guns.

While the UK and Australia get overrun and outbred by violent "immigrants" who force new laws and political correctness upon them, the United States of America will stand pat.

We'll be here long after you gave up wishing you had a gun. That's in your future or your children's future, but by the time you wake up it will be too late. You have been indoctrinated into complacency while your cultures are failing before your eyes.

I had to quote it before you had the chance to change it.

Largest arm in the world......priceless. Who command such an army? Or perhaps it's every man for himself?

PRICELESS post.

Clearly you are one of those people that actually lives and breathes this sort of none sense.

Your army is killing itself with stupidity. 55555 let's call it Darwinism ;)

• Like 1

Guns and security.

The number of cases is far underreported where someone, man, woman or child, has remained secure in their home, because they used a gun to defend against violent invasion.

Cowboy country...

Yep, that's where I grew up and I love that lifestyle. We carried a gun everywhere to protect calves, sheep, pigs and chickens from cougars, wolves and coyotes. We learned to shoot fast and straight. I was taught to shoot when I was seven years old, but not allowed to carry my own alone until I was about 14. I carried a rifle in a scabbard on a horse while riding fence lines to check their condition. I carried a handgun in case I was off the horse for any reason including to take a "P." A prized calf from prime breeding stock could be worth $10,000 and it was everyone's responsibility to protect it.

Cowboy country. Best there is.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

Australia 0.11

United Kingdom 0.04

USA 2.83

Need I say more?

"Need I say more?"

delusional cowboy mentality from the 1800's

• Like 1

delusional cowboy mentality from the 1800's

No, it's looking to the future which the UK and EU are failing to do. They are also failing.

The people within the EU have had it good and easy for decades and for some reason they think it will always be that way.

That's as smart as saying real estate values or the stock market will always go up or stay the same.

When things get out of control even more the native citizens have no way to stop it. They are toothless. But today they are being overrun and they don't see the end game or have a plan for it. They are relying on the same system that is failing them. They have given all power to a system that is failing them.

I have a plan, and I know the world never stays the same.

Moving back to the subject----- Of the guys taking guns on the planes..... why did they do that..? I mean if you packed a box as machine parts, and rail or road freighted it to somewhere else inside the USA then flew to pick it up---that wouldn't be opened & checked would it ??????

• Like 2

Guns and security.

Cowboy country...

Yep, that's where I grew up and I love that lifestyle. We carried a gun everywhere to protect calves, sheep, pigs and chickens from cougars, wolves and coyotes. We learned to shoot fast and straight. I was taught to shoot when I was seven years old, but not allowed to carry my own alone until I was about 14. I carried a rifle in a scabbard on a horse while riding fence lines to check their condition. I carried a handgun in case I was off the horse for any reason including to take a "P." A prized calf from prime breeding stock could be worth $10,000 and it was everyone's responsibility to protect it.

Cowboy country. Best there is.

Hmmm. Somehow my post got deleted.

Pretty sure it wasn't you that did it, NS. laugh.png

• Like 1

I feel a whole lot better now that as a regular flyer I have had to take my shoes and belt off for years and have my laptop inspected whilst Osama bin baggage handler could have just got one through in a trice.

Anyone think this story is likely a plant to dissuade anyone from trying to use this avenue in the immediate future? Sounds all a bit frantic for USA law enforcement to me.

As others have pointed out...red neck cowboys from the 1800's.

Guns In the USA kill innocent people.

The police plus the crazy oiks will be out killing more in 2015

You are toothless and defenseless. Your world or your children's worlds won't always stay the same. The EU in particular is collapsing socially. The PC crowd has not only disarmed you, they are letting danger in all around you and destroying your country, your culture and your safety. They've brainwashed you to where you think it will be OK long term. It won't.

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you, Bad Boy?

• Like 1

Moving back to the subject----- Of the guys taking guns on the planes..... why did they do that..? I mean if you packed a box as machine parts, and rail or road freighted it to somewhere else inside the USA then flew to pick it up---that wouldn't be opened & checked would it ??????

Ah, grasshopper, you ask very good question. I think, deep down inside, you know the answer, too.

Because if they "smuggled" them that way, there would be no headline story. And there would be no need for more laws to be passed. No need for stricter, more inconvenient, pervasive and constitutionally violating steps and actions taken against the populace to "protect" them.

And, of course, the sheep would go along with it, because guns in the cargo hold are no where near as frightening as guns in the passenger cabin!

• Like 1

Australia 0.11

United Kingdom 0.04

USA 2.83

Need I say more?

"Need I say more?"

When the second amendment was written all those years ago it would be possible to imagine a militia armed with muskets taking on a tyrannical government's army armed with muskets. Today even with semi automatic rifles I don't see you overthrowing the government who have jet fighters, helicopter gunships, tanks etc. Each to their own I guess. I don't think that guns are the main problem in the States. The Canadian's love their guns but don't kill each other on the same scale as Americans do. American's as a society seem to need an enemy to fear all the time. Bit of a generalization I know.