Prosecutor: Guns were smuggled aboard US airliners

Lite Beer

When the second amendment was written all those years ago it would be possible to imagine a militia armed with muskets taking on a tyrannical government's army armed with muskets. Today even with semi automatic rifles I don't see you overthrowing the government who have jet fighters, helicopter gunships, tanks etc. Each to their own I guess. I don't think that guns are the main problem in the States. The Canadian's love their guns but don't kill each other on the same scale as Americans do. American's as a society seem to need an enemy to fear all the time. Bit of a generalization I know.

I don't know of a single case in history where a guerilla army was defeated on its own soil. That mighty US military couldn't do it in Korea, 'Nam, or in the ME. So forget the gunships and fighters. They get some but not nearly enough.

The US guerilla army is 100 million people strong who own 300 million guns and God knows how much ammunition. The US Military has never come up against anything close to that, and the people they were trying to defeat in 'Nam, etc. didn't have fighter jets or helicopters either.

There are about 2 million full and part time soldiers in the US military. We outnumber them 50:1. Are they going to come into our neighborhoods after us? Urban fighting is some of the most dangerous there is for the invader.

I agree about the cultures - Canada vs USA. But Canada has issues in places like Vancouver. There are definitely places to stay away from. But overall I agree. Canadians do have a less aggressive culture. In fact as a culture they might be the nicest and most polite in The West.

Two words that never fit together in other countries: Personal and Freedom.

Two words why you don't have personal freedom in the USA; Patriot Act.

I wonder how much you know about the Patriot Act? Law enforcement still has to get a search warrant from a judge stating with specificity why they need it with proof of a reasonable suspicion. I didn't lose any freedoms to the Patriot Act. LINK

So he was videotaped and caught in the act. As a result he admitted it to the detectives that he indeed transported weapons but he says he's innocent and is looking forward to his day in court. He's really stupid. I bet the judge is looking forward to that day as well.

Edited by A1Str8

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here is a list of firearms-related deaths by countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Russia not there, but homicides using firearms per 100,000 population:

Australia 0.11

United Kingdom 0.04

USA 2.83

Need I say more?

"Need I say more?"

Yes, please say you are going back to school.

Homicide is the killing of one person by another. It doesn't denote murder. There is "justifiable homicide" as in self defense and other reasons. Your source doesn't break that down.

Your source also doesn't say how many Americans successfully used a gun to protect themselves or someone else. Often when that happens the gun isn't fired. Its mere presence deters the bad guy.

Americans are risk takers. That how our ancestors got here. It's in our blood and our culture. We don't want a nanny state.

One of the reasons I own guns is to protect myself and those who come after me against tyranny in government. If we need a revolution there are 100 million of us owning 300 million guns. That's the largest army the world has ever known. Ever think about why no one tried to invade the US during WWI or WWII? There would be a rifle behind every tree. Armed US citizens ran the King of England and his Red Coat Army off US soil in what the US calls the Revolutionary War. Their offspring have no intention of giving up their guns.

While the UK and Australia get overrun and outbred by violent "immigrants" who force new laws and political correctness upon them, the United States of America will stand pat.

We'll be here long after you gave up wishing you had a gun. That's in your future or your children's future, but by the time you wake up it will be too late. You have been indoctrinated into complacency while your cultures are failing before your eyes.

Here is a list of firearms-related deaths by countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Russia not there, but homicides using firearms per 100,000 population:

Australia 0.11

United Kingdom 0.04

USA 2.83

Need I say more?

There are many things to consider about those cut and dry figures.

- first - what about non-gun-involved homicide (overall) figures?

- second - what about self-defence? protecting others? protecting property? politically motivated shootings? etc.

- third - political repercussions... many people think guns keep their rights within Constitutional guidelines.

Looking from a distance I do not think USA is a much more dangerous place than UK, Australia or Russia despite the fact of their population being armed.

But here we enter one of the great controversies not yet solved.

Naturally, every Gov't will want to control its population, - thus no arms!

As to the statistics - it is justly said that the are lies, dirty lies and statistics.

Once again, it is X-Mas, try to be friendly till after the New Year. These arguments will not be resolved here on TV.