Train crushes Dutch tourist to death in grisly accident in Thailand

webfact

Getting on and off those trains is perilous. At some stations they hardly if at all stop the train, in my experience. It more like a ladder than stairs that you are using to get on the train, if i remember correctly, and the cars are lurching forward and backward if you are getting on/off as the train is starting to pull in/away. Sometimes the train hardly stops, so if you wait for it to stop you might miss your stop. The steel "ladder" is slick and it is difficult to get your footing as it is. Tho I'm sure the reigning sentiment is, som nam na, you shouldn't be riding trains, you should take a plane or drive your own car silly man. Problem is, many tourists assume that there is a viable rail transit option as there is most countries, yet you won't see TAT telling anyone that the trains derail all the time and are a bit rough going that you are not in Europe or even another Asian country such as Indonesia with much better rail transit in place. I stopped taking trains with the derailment stuff that started happening in 2013. Not that busses are much better, but they are on much more convenient schedules and cleaner generally speaking.

He may have been standing on the steps filming, those trains jerk a lot and if he wasn't holding on firmly with one hand it would be easy to fall.

Especially in Clogs!! R.I.P Cloggie fella, horrible way to go.

Might come as a surprise for you, but not all Dutch wear clogs!!whistling.gif

Really? Who knew....... Next you will be telling me all Germans don't wear lederhosen.

and not all kiwi's wear doubleseized boots

• Like 1

He may have been standing on the steps filming, those trains jerk a lot and if he wasn't holding on firmly with one hand it would be easy to fall.

What a disgusting comment.

I would comment, but you say on your profile that you want to work for the tourist police, I think this speaks volumes for itself without my comment,

Getting on and off those trains is perilous. At some stations they hardly if at all stop the train, in my experience. It more like a ladder than stairs that you are using to get on the train, if i remember correctly, and the cars are lurching forward and backward if you are getting on/off as the train is starting to pull in/away. Sometimes the train hardly stops, so if you wait for it to stop you might miss your stop. The steel "ladder" is slick and it is difficult to get your footing as it is. Tho I'm sure the reigning sentiment is, som nam na, you shouldn't be riding trains, you should take a plane or drive your own car silly man. Problem is, many tourists assume that there is a viable rail transit option as there is most countries, yet you won't see TAT telling anyone that the trains derail all the time and are a bit rough going that you are not in Europe or even another Asian country such as Indonesia with much better rail transit in place. I stopped taking trains with the derailment stuff that started happening in 2013. Not that busses are much better, but they are on much more convenient schedules and cleaner generally speaking.

".....or even another Asian country such as Indonesia with much better rail transit in place."

Indeed, Shaun, Indonesia does seem to have a better transit system in place, as can be seen in these images. I don't suppose there are anywhere near the fatalities on Indonesia's railways, as opposed to Thailand's?

post-9891-0-36642900-1419495412_thumb.jp post-9891-0-62942300-1419495413_thumb.jp

post-9891-0-75816300-1419495415_thumb.jp post-9891-0-97252900-1419495417_thumb.jp

• Like 2

What we expect of Thailand highly dependent upon European tourists are higher standards as we have; its not hard and both Malaysia and Singapore gets there.Throughout this society there has to be proper attempts to improve travel and transport standards and if that means some higher taxes so be it. Too many tourists have lost their lives in this country.

Might come as a surprise for you, but not all Dutch wear clogs!!whistling.gif

Really? Who knew....... Next you will be telling me all Germans don't wear lederhosen.

and not all kiwi's wear doubleseized boots

As a Dutchman I can say , some farmers still wear clogs when working in the field

When go out , to wherever they change to shoes (normaal concerts exempted)

They only time I've seen Germans in lederhosen was at a beer festival ,been all over Germany for years

Please keep in mind that the friends and relatives might stumble on this forum

Respect

• Like 1

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers
In a country where they are about to build a spanking new high speed rail link courtesy of the wolf in a pandas clothing, one might think they can afford to improve the safety and f the existing network. There are too many people losing their lives through a form of transport that should be able to be of the safest. Why make excuses when really none are 'fair'. Fair would be to sort out the problems and respect the lives of their customers.

If someone wants to be stupid and clearly put their own lives in danger, how is that the railways fault ?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ae3_1331059392

There are many ways it can be the railways fault that is not to say in this particular case it was but it may have been and in many cases it can be avoided by better safety measures. Just because accidents can be avoided by due care if the user does not mean that precautions cannot make usage safer. It is all a matter of balance but if there is a huge amount of money available to spend for a high speed train then there should be some available to improve the safety of the existing system which is pretty poor.

Interesting to see the guy on the platform merrily enjoying himself while a family man lies sliced in half nearby... Thainess?

yep, one of the reasons why i love living here....... biggrin.png

As long as you're ok with people laughing their tits off when you or yours are in bits on the ground, then fair enough I guess.

• Like 1

0Nxyzi4.jpg
HIERONYMUS CORNELIS MARIA

In the Thai news they said witnesses reported that the father and son had gone for a walk on the train and were 'playing around' near the stairs when the father unfortunately lost his balance and fell off the train.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers

Don't blame the tourists when this happens time and again. In a civilized country the rail road company would be held responsible and this "avoidable" accident would be prevented. Is there not even a semblance of decency here?

Why not blame the tourist they do need to take some responsibility for their own safty like find a seat and sit down

Hey Moe, this train is structurally running too late. 99% of the time it comes into Nam Tok, filled with tourists and they hardly have time to get onboard. For me onboard means IN the car, not on the stairs. In Nam Tok the train driver looks out of the window backwards and decides when it is time to go with shocking cars. Tourist trust on sensible Thais who do not commit wreckless behavior. How many more tourist have to be killed before there is some sense in the brains of the train operators. Not only in Kanchanaburi; 2014 has been a Black Book for the State Railway of Thailand. Not only on this Death Railway Tourist 'Attraction'. Wooden bridges are so rotten one day they train will drop down.......In another post I have been 'accused' of trying to get western standards in this 3rd world country. Well, there are western standards; the BTS, Airportlink and Subway in Bangkok operated by Siemens. And safe. Which country wouldn't like progress or is it Junta style to keep any progress fully stopped?

• Like 1

I wonder if those blaming the train, railways, safety standards have ever been on that train, or any other in this country for that matter ?

I have been on it several times and other than it consisting of 3rd class carriages, which they tell you they are, there is little wrong with the train or the safety.

The train does not move off till everyone is on board and clear, there is an employee on the platform with flags and another in the first and last carriage, it does not move till they have 3 green flags.

They do however have to rely on some common sense from those who ride on the train and from what I have seen it is lacking in some cases.

I have seen people leaning out the doors hanging on with one hand and taking photos along the moving train and jumping off before the train has come to a stop.

One tour guide did this on the last trip I made, then waved his flag and blew his whistle to attract his group.

I don't know the full circumstances of this terrible death other than that he was on the step of the moving train where he shouldn't have been but we were told of the previous two, one where a woman walked in front of an oncoming train while talking on her phone in spite of a barrier being down and the train sounding a whistle and the unfortunate lady who got a bag strap caught as she tried to get off the moving train.

Other than having an attendant in every carriage making everyone stay in a seat there's not much that can be done and even then there would be a language barrier which some would take advantage of to do as they want.

Certainly a horrible way to go and possibly worse for his family and friends who saw it happen.

Not true, this particular train is structurally too late on its schedule and there are chaotic scenes when large tourist groups try to board the train at Nam Tok. Statistics speak for themselves after fatal incidents these year not to mention the almost accidents. Any chance a warning to be printed on the train ticket? Or some signs? The truth is; nobody F&C$#J cares. There.

There was only one person responsible for this death. Why blame the railways? He was sitting or standing on the steps of a moving train. Sometimes we have to take responsibility for ourselves and not expect others to do it all the time.

May he rest in peace and may others learn from this tragic accident.

• Like 2

0Nxyzi4.jpg

HIERONYMUS CORNELIS MARIA

In the Thai news they said witnesses reported that the father and son had gone for a walk on the train and were 'playing around' near the stairs when the father unfortunately lost his balance and fell off the train.

Yes, the Thai version.

Which surprise, surprise probably is the truth!!

• Like 1

Interesting to see the guy on the platform merrily enjoying himself while a family man lies sliced in half nearby... Thainess?

So you're not allowed to smile within 50m of a body?

I think anyone who has empathy in such a situation would not be smiling. It's an absolute tragedy losing a husband/father like that on holiday and in such a way.

So very sad and NO I'm not smiling RIP

Does binjalin realise that Buddhists view death differently to christians? Yes Dave, it is Thainess.

Have you considered the possibility that your view of the world is not the only way to view death?

I have been to a few Thai funerals and have seen even the closest of family (to the deceased) smiling and sometimes even laughing as they remember their loved ones. Do you realise that they consider their time on earth to be a brief stopover on their journey to paradise?

I'm going to stop you right there, Buddhists and Thais are mutually exclusive on this. This is Thais knowing that they are Thai and that the dead man is a Farang, not one of them. Same for a lot of other things too where this is involved.

Please tell us how long bystanders or police must remain miserable and depressed for in such a case.

I think of you study philosophy and religion, most teachers say that death is not the end.

• Like 1

I see you and several others who 'liked' your post don't understand much about Thai culture. Thailand is also known as the 'Land of Smiles' and it's not because everyone goes around happy. They have a smile for when the boss is chewing them a new one or when the wifey is dancing on the table with a lamp shade on her head. Please read this for more understanding: http://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

In some countries, people shake their head for yes and nod for no. Knowing the customs of another country can prevent misunderstanding and misconstruing.

• Like 1

I am perplexed, should I make my reply about the stupidity of the comments of a few posters or the abysmal standard of the written English exhibited by some posters???

A man died in a horrible way. RIP Dutchman.

One of the reasons this railway attracts so many tourists is because it does not meet modern safety standards. if the trains and bridges were exactly like the ones you have in your safety obsessed conscious western world maybe they would be too boring to visit.

Yes the tourist should be better informed about the differences between Thailand and the perfectly "safe" west, but when a tourist chooses to visit Thailand he cannot expect the same standards to apply and must take some additional efforts to adapt.

Nobody deserves to be killed this way on Xmas eve, but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country.

"...but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country."

This accident happened in Thailand, not in a third world country.

Some posters seem to want it both ways. If the poor maintenance of the rolling stock and the lack of interest in health and safety procedures are as bad as you say, then this certainly qualifies as third world standard. You criticise the railway in its failure to protect a tourist from all possible accidents while he was witnessed playing about on the steps of a MOVING train.

I agree with some posters who said that we should expect higher safety standards in the Skytrain taking us to Siam Paragon in the centre of Bangkok, but in this case we are talking about the Death railway, which has not had much investment since the Japanese occupation collaboration. These are third world standards. Live with it.

To Bangon...

No we do not live with it...whether its seat belts, helmets, crossings, zebras, minibus regulations, railways whatever we expect higher standards and that way our friends here in LOS will learn everything we have learnt about these issues in Europe. We stop the fatalities.

I've been on this train and whilst it doesn't meet " Western " safety standards, every passenger can see for themselves that they should take extra care. Yet, we are human and not 100% vigilant 100% of the time. Sad story and condolences to his family at Christmas time. Another reminder to take extra care when using transport, getting off a bike or even crossing the road here

One of the reasons this railway attracts so many tourists is because it does not meet modern safety standards. if the trains and bridges were exactly like the ones you have in your safety obsessed conscious western world maybe they would be too boring to visit.

Yes the tourist should be better informed about the differences between Thailand and the perfectly "safe" west, but when a tourist chooses to visit Thailand he cannot expect the same standards to apply and must take some additional efforts to adapt.

Nobody deserves to be killed this way on Xmas eve, but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country.

"...but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country."

This accident happened in Thailand, not in a third world country.

Oh really, have you been to Thailand?

Thailand takes pride in being a third world country, just look at the schools and their education level, not to mention safety regulations and rules (most times non existent rules) and the effort to enforce these rules (most times non existent efforts).

I live here so I know.