New Year gifts roll out now as part of giving happiness to the Thai people

webfact

"Well, you wanted democracy, the right of the electorate to choose incompetent leaders."

Do you think military coups result in competent leadership? Evidence suggests otherwise.

"Anyway, the topic is Newyear Gifts, not incompetent leaders who are democratically elected."

Quite right, why did you bring up the subject of democratically elected leaders?

Why did you bring up a link with a somewhat less competent (or as you wrote incompetent) elected President of a democratic country.

Anyway, enjoy the New Year gifts, assuming your in the country. try to be happy as the Thai and smile brightly.

All the best for the Holiday Season,

uncle rubl

hmmmm... The last democratically elected government was accused of buying votes. Isn't this the same? Every store has New Year sales every year, now he's claiming it's all down to him with his "pouring happiness etc" He's no better if not worse than Mr T, why worse? Because he's a hypocrite too.

• Like 2

As obscene as it is perverse. Gifts from whom. Government is playing Robin Hood with the population in a most manipulative act of propaganda supported and sponsored by the elite and privileged who sadly have money to burn and win favor.

• Like 2

Well, you wanted democracy, the right of the electorate to choose incompetent leaders.

Anyway, the topic is Newyear Gifts, not incompetent leaders who are democratically elected.

"Well, you wanted democracy, the right of the electorate to choose incompetent leaders."

Do you think military coups result in competent leadership? Evidence suggests otherwise.

"Anyway, the topic is Newyear Gifts, not incompetent leaders who are democratically elected."

Quite right, why did you bring up the subject of democratically elected leaders?

What does the below have to do with this subject?

"Do you think military coups result in competent leadership? Evidence suggests otherwise."

I addressed his point, as you addressed mine, and I am now addressing yours.

Why did you bring up a link with a somewhat less competent (or as you wrote incompetent) elected President of a democratic country.

Anyway, enjoy the New Year gifts, assuming your in the country. try to be happy as the Thai and smile brightly.

uncle rubl

I brought up a link about heavy-handed government interference in the free market, which is related to the topic. You interpreted the link as a condemnation of democracy, which is something of a stretch.

However, as you pointed out after bringing up the subject, democratically elected leaders are off-topic. Why do you keep coming back to the subject?

• Like 1

uncle rubl

I brought up a link about heavy-handed government interference in the free market, which is related to the topic. You interpreted the link as a condemnation of democracy, which is something of a stretch.

However, as you pointed out after bringing up the subject, democratically elected leaders are off-topic. Why do you keep coming back to the subject?

As usual you just twist around. You posted a link and wrote with it "Why take these half-measures? Just adopt the Venezuela approach"

So you bring up heavy handed government interference from a democratically elected President who uses the army to force 'low price sales' and you even suggest PM Prayut should follow the example.

In the mean time here in Thailand we have happy Thai who can shop without the need of heavily armed soldiers to control things. Thai shoppers are a decent lot.

As obscene as it is perverse. Gifts from whom. Government is playing Robin Hood with the population in a most manipulative act of propaganda supported and sponsored by the elite and privileged who sadly have money to burn and win favor.

Sadly governments play these propaganda tricks. Remember packs of food and water being distributed to flood victims with the picture of a criminal fugitive on the packaging? Some may have jumped to the conclusion that he paid for the parcels when in fact his sister's government used tax payers money but wanted to try and win more favor and support for him before they tried to whitewash his criminal activities.

Or there was the false rumor that he'd paid off Thailand's debt from his own funds - what a wheeze.

Keep on dreaming Thai people. Have you read the Nation newspaper? His wife and daughters were crying when he staged coup!!!!!!! They thought: more money on our bank account. How we get it on.

How's going with your friend, YINGLUCK????? (PM)

It is great that the junta is willing to conduct this experiment. Let's see if populist policies (vote buying) will work for them in the same way they have accused the other team of using them to promote and maintain their popularity.

Which populist policies are you talking about ?

Well, well, well, talk about 'buying popularity' (or votes if needed) by forcing the private sector into an artificial market..

Actually, I think it's more sinister. This is just the sort of annual 'gift' you should give to people if you plan to be around for the next five years at least, as other news items are indicated.

"lets not worry about elections if we are going to get 'gifts' every new year".

Drip, drip, of conditioning the minds into accepting something much more permanent.

uncle rubl

As usual you just twist around. You posted a link and wrote with it "Why take these half-measures? Just adopt the Venezuela approach"

So you bring up heavy handed government interference from a democratically elected President who uses the army to force 'low price sales' and you even suggest PM Prayut should follow the example.

In the mean time here in Thailand we have happy Thai who can shop without the need of heavily armed soldiers to control things. Thai shoppers are a decent lot.

I'm twisting things around? How so?

Re-read the article, there are details about how the government will insure compliance with this initiative, but no indication that the retailers support this policy, participated in its planning, or are complying voluntarily. After seven months of martial law and detentions without charge the junta doesn't need to use rifles to obtain compliance, but there's always the understanding that they can.

The Venezuelan example is clearly the logical extreme of this kind of foolish government meddling in the economy, and if continued it will lead to disaster. This has nothing to do with democratically elected leadership, which you first pronounced as off-topic and now repeatedly bring up. Elected leaders often mismanage economies, but military governments always do so.

Edited by heybruce

Well, you wanted democracy, the right of the electorate to choose incompetent leaders.

Anyway, the topic is Newyear Gifts, not incompetent leaders who are democratically elected.

"Do you think military coups result in competent leadership? Evidence suggests otherwise."

But the topic is Newyear Gifts, not incompetent leaders who are democratically elected."

But the topic is Newyear Gifts, not incompetent leaders who are democratically elected."

Correct, and you're not addressing the topic.

If the management of a supermarket or a shopping mall were to point out they do this sort of thing every year would they be hauled off for Attitude Adjustment ?

The commencement date is hilarious 24th. I mean people have already bought their Christmas gifts. Just like in the west the daysfollowing Christmas is when the post Christmas sales are on to get rid of all the stock that didn't sell before Christmas. So the Thai people are being given NOTHING the same as for the price of gasoline given NOTHING.....What an insult to ones intelligence.

If the management of a supermarket or a shopping mall were to point out they do this sort of thing every year would they be hauled off for Attitude Adjustment ?

The commencement date is hilarious 24th. I mean people have already bought their Christmas gifts. Just like in the west the daysfollowing Christmas is when the post Christmas sales are on to get rid of all the stock that didn't sell before Christmas. So the Thai people are being given NOTHING the same as for the price of gasoline given NOTHING.....What an insult to ones intelligence.

what about the free air for tyres?

I'm twisting things around? How so?

Re-read the article, there are details about how the government will insure compliance with this initiative, but no indication that the retailers support this policy, participated in its planning, or are complying voluntarily. After seven months of martial law and detentions without charge the junta doesn't need to use rifles to obtain compliance, but there's always the understanding that they can.

The Venezuelan example is clearly the logical extreme of this kind of foolish government meddling in the economy, and if continued it will lead to disaster. This has nothing to do with democratically elected leadership, which you first pronounced as off-topic and now repeatedly bring up. Elected leaders often mismanage economies, but military governments always do so.

Actually I thought the RPPS was a prime example of the 'logical' extreme of this kind of foolish government meddling.

Mind you, here we try to get in the right Holiday Season mood. There are other topics for foolish government 'meddling in the economy'